Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Ethiopia. It is located in the Bole district, approximately 6 kilometers southeast of the city center.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
- Other Airports in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
How to Get to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and is located about 6 miles southeast of the city center. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to negotiate the fare beforehand to avoid any confusion or overcharging. The ride from the city center to the airport usually takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a bus, which is a more affordable option. The airport shuttle bus runs every hour from the city center and costs around 30 ETB (less than $1 USD). However, it is important to note that the bus can be crowded and may not be the most comfortable option.
If you prefer a more comfortable and convenient option, you can also arrange for a private car or airport transfer service. Many hotels and travel agencies offer this service, and it can be arranged in advance to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey to the airport.
Overall, there are several options for getting to Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, and it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs and budget. Whether you choose a taxi, bus, or private car, be sure to plan ahead and allow enough time to arrive at the airport before your flight.
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a gateway to the country. There are several transportation options available for passengers arriving at the airport.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal. They are a convenient and affordable way to get to your destination. However, it is important to negotiate the fare before getting into the taxi.
2. Airport Shuttle: The airport shuttle is a shared ride service that operates between the airport and various destinations in the city. The shuttle is a cost-effective option for travelers who are on a budget.
3. Car Rental: There are several car rental companies located at the airport. Renting a car is a great option if you plan to explore the city on your own. However, it is important to have an international driver’s license and to be familiar with the local driving laws.
4. Public Transportation: There are several public transportation options available outside the airport terminal. These include buses and minibusses. However, these options can be crowded and may not be the most comfortable way to travel.
5. Hotel Shuttle: Many hotels in Addis Ababa offer shuttle services to and from the airport. If you are staying at a hotel, it is worth checking if they offer this service.
In conclusion, there are several transportation options available at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Whether you prefer a taxi, shuttle, car rental, public transportation, or hotel shuttle, there is an option that will suit your needs and budget.
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are higher than other parking options.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are more affordable than short-term parking.
3. VIP parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and is reserved for VIPs and passengers with special needs. The rates for VIP parking are higher than other parking options.
4. Disabled parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is reserved for passengers with disabilities. The rates for disabled parking are the same as other parking options.
5. Express parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for a short period of time and want to quickly access the terminal. The rates for express parking are higher than other parking options.
Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers a variety of parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. It is recommended to book parking in advance to ensure availability and to save time and money.
Car Rental at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
- Avis Car Rental
- Europcar Car Rental
- Hertz Car Rental
- Budget Car Rental
- Thrifty Car Rental
- Ace Car Rental
- Sixt Car Rental
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the older of the two and is primarily used for domestic flights. It has a capacity of 1.2 million passengers per year and features a range of facilities including restaurants, cafes, and duty-free shops.
Terminal 2 is the newer and larger of the two terminals, with a capacity of 22 million passengers per year. It is used for both domestic and international flights and features a range of modern facilities including lounges, restaurants, cafes, and duty-free shops. The terminal also has a range of services for passengers with special needs, including wheelchair assistance and dedicated check-in counters.
Both terminals are well-maintained and offer a comfortable and convenient experience for passengers. The airport also has a range of transportation options, including taxis, buses, and car rental services, making it easy for passengers to travel to and from the airport. Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that provides a high level of service to its passengers.
1. Ethiopian Airlines
2. Turkish Airlines
4. Qatar Airways
5. Kenya Airways
10. Air Arabia
11. Gulf Air
13. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
14. Air France
15. British Airways
16. Swiss International Air Lines
17. Brussels Airlines
18. Oman Air
19. Yemenia Airways
20. ASKY Airlines
21. Air India
22. Air China
23. China Southern Airlines
24. China Eastern Airlines
25. Korean Air
26. Singapore Airlines
27. Thai Airways
28. United Airlines
29. Delta Air Lines
30. Air Canada.
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
All passengers and their luggage are screened before entering the airport terminal. This includes a thorough check of carry-on bags, checked luggage, and personal items such as shoes and belts. Passengers are also required to pass through metal detectors and body scanners.
In addition to these measures, the airport has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the terminal and surrounding areas. They are equipped with advanced technology such as CCTV cameras and X-ray machines to detect any suspicious activity.
The airport also has a strict policy on prohibited items, which includes weapons, explosives, and flammable materials. Any items that are deemed a security risk are confiscated and the passenger may face legal consequences.
Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff.
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers.
One of the key services offered at the airport is the Meet and Greet service. This service is available for both arriving and departing passengers and provides assistance with immigration, baggage collection, and customs clearance. Passengers can also opt for a porter service to help with their luggage.
For passengers with special needs, the airport offers wheelchair assistance and special assistance for those with hearing or visual impairments. The airport also has a medical center with trained medical staff to provide emergency medical assistance if needed.
In addition, the airport has a range of amenities for passengers to enjoy, including restaurants, cafes, duty-free shops, and lounges. Passengers can also access free Wi-Fi throughout the airport.
Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy during their time at the airport.
1. Duty-Free Shops – The airport has several duty-free shops where travelers can purchase a variety of products including perfumes, cosmetics, electronics, and souvenirs.
2. Ethiopian Souvenir Shop – This shop offers a wide range of Ethiopian souvenirs, including traditional clothing, jewelry, and handicrafts.
3. Bookstore – The airport has a bookstore where travelers can purchase books, magazines, and newspapers.
4. Convenience Stores – There are several convenience stores located throughout the airport where travelers can purchase snacks, drinks, and other travel essentials.
1. Ethiopian Coffee House – This restaurant serves traditional Ethiopian coffee and snacks, as well as a variety of other beverages and light meals.
2. Pizza Hut – This popular pizza chain has a location at the airport, serving a variety of pizzas, sides, and drinks.
3. Burger King – Another popular fast-food chain, Burger King, has a location at the airport serving burgers, fries, and other fast-food favorites.
4. Java House – This coffee shop and restaurant serves a variety of coffee drinks, as well as breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
5. Kaldi’s Coffee – This coffee shop serves a variety of coffee drinks, as well as sandwiches, pastries, and other light meals.
Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy during their time at the airport. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a sit-down meal, there are plenty of options available to suit your needs.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport has several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors to use. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim prayer room is located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the international arrivals area. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 50 people.
2. Christian Prayer Room – The Christian prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the international departures area. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 30 people.
3. Interfaith Chapel – The interfaith chapel is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the international departures area. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 20 people. The chapel is designed to be a space for people of all faiths to come together and pray.
4. VIP Lounge Prayer Room – The VIP lounge at the airport also has a prayer room for passengers who have access to the lounge. The prayer room is located within the lounge and is open 24 hours a day.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are free to use and open to people of all faiths. They provide a peaceful and quiet space for passengers and visitors to pray, meditate, or reflect before or after their flights.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and access their emails, social media accounts, and other online services.
Workspace Facilities: For passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers a variety of workspace facilities. These include:
1. Business Lounges: The airport has several business lounges that offer comfortable seating, workstations, and charging points. These lounges are available to passengers who have access through their airline or membership program.
2. Workstations: There are also workstations located throughout the terminal, which provide a quiet and private space for passengers to work. These workstations are equipped with power outlets and USB ports.
3. Meeting Rooms: For passengers who need to hold a meeting or conference, the airport has several meeting rooms available for rent. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment and can accommodate groups of various sizes.
Overall, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
The Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers several lounges for travelers to relax and unwind. Here is a list of the lounges and their locations:
- Lounge 1: Located in Terminal 2, near Gate 2
- Lounge 2: Located in Terminal 3, near Gate 6
- Lounge 3: Located in Terminal 4, near Gate 10
- Lounge 4: Located in Terminal 5, near Gate 13
- Lounge 5: Located in Terminal 6, near Gate 16
Accomodation Options Nearby Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport, located in the vibrant city of Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, offers a range of accommodations to cater to the diverse needs and preferences of travelers. Whether you are seeking budget-friendly options or seeking luxurious indulgence, this airport has got you covered. Here are some accommodation options available:
1. Transit Hotels:
For those requiring a short stay or a few hours of rest, there are transit hotels located within the airport premises. These hotels provide convenient and affordable options for passengers with basic amenities such as comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and sometimes even complimentary breakfast.
2. Economy Hotels:
Within a short distance from the airport, you can find a variety of economy hotels that offer reasonable rates without compromising on comfort and convenience. These hotels often include rooms with amenities such as Wi-Fi, TV, and room service, allowing you to relax and recharge before or after your flight.
3. Mid-range Hotels:
If you prefer more extensive facilities and a higher level of comfort, several mid-range hotels can be found near the airport. These hotels typically feature spacious rooms, additional amenities like fitness centers, swimming pools, and on-site restaurants. Some even offer airport shuttle services to ensure a hassle-free transfer.
4. Business Hotels:
For corporate travelers seeking a blend of comfort and functionality, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport offers various business hotels. These establishments cater to the needs of business professionals by providing well-equipped meeting rooms, business centers, and high-speed internet access. Additionally, these hotels may offer executive suites or privileges to enhance your stay.
5. Luxury Hotels:
For those willing to indulge in luxury, a selection of high-end hotels can be found within a short drive from the airport. These luxurious accommodations boast spacious suites, elegant decor, world-class spas, fine dining options, and exceptional service. Some hotels also provide airport transfer services, providing a seamless experience for their distinguished guests.
Remember to consider your budget, desired level of comfort, and preferred amenities when choosing your accommodation at Addis Ababa Bole International Airport. Whether you opt for the budget-friendly options or indulge in luxury, you can find a suitable place to rest and relax during your travels.
1. Ethnological Museum: Located within the former palace of Emperor Haile Selassie, this museum offers a fascinating insight into Ethiopia’s diverse cultures and rich history. Visitors can explore traditional artifacts, ancient manuscripts, and traditional Ethiopian costumes.
2. Holy Trinity Cathedral: A significant religious landmark in Addis Ababa, this cathedral is known for its stunning architecture and beautiful stained glass windows. It also serves as the final resting place for Emperor Haile Selassie and Empress Menen Asfaw.
3. Merkato Market: Renowned as one of Africa’s largest open-air markets, Merkato is a bustling maze of narrow alleys, vibrant stalls, and a melting pot of people. Visitors can shop for traditional Ethiopian crafts, textiles, spices, and taste authentic street food.
4. National Museum of Ethiopia: Hosting one of the world’s most famous artifacts, the fossilized remains of “Lucy,” this museum showcases Ethiopia’s ancient past with an impressive collection of archaeological findings. Exhibits include traditional art, ancient tools, and weapons.
5. Entoto Mountain: Offering panoramic views of Addis Ababa, Entoto Mountain is a popular retreat for nature enthusiasts. Visitors can enjoy hiking trails, visit the Entoto Mariam Church, and gain insights into Ethiopia’s rich history as the birthplace of Emperor Menelik II.
6. Ethio-Dutch Park: Situated in the heart of the city, this green sanctuary provides a relaxing escape from the city’s bustling streets. It offers well-maintained gardens, walking paths, and a picturesque lake. Visitors can also find restaurants and cafes nearby to relax and enjoy the surroundings.
7. African Union Headquarters: Shaped like a giant inverted pyramid, this complex is home to the African Union, an organization representing the continent’s 55 member states. Visitors can take guided tours to learn about the African Union’s work and its significance for Africa’s integration and development.
8. Addis Ababa Museum: Located in the historical Arat Kilo area, this museum walks visitors through the city’s transformation from a small town to its current status as the capital of Ethiopia. Exhibitions cover the city’s growth, architecture, influential leaders, and notable events.
9. National Palace: Also known as the Jubilee Palace, it serves as the official residence of the Ethiopian President. The surrounding grounds are beautifully landscaped and open to the public for peaceful walks and picnics.
10. Meskel Square: This iconic public square hosts various events and festivities throughout the year. It is particularly famous for the annual Meskel celebration, a religious festival commemorating the finding of the True Cross. Visitors can witness traditional Ethiopian rituals, music, dance, and vibrant processions.
History of Addis Ababa Bole International Airport
Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is the main airport in Ethiopia and serves as a hub for Ethiopian Airlines. The airport was first established in 1940 as a military airfield during the Italian occupation of Ethiopia. After the liberation of Ethiopia in 1941, the airfield was expanded and became a civilian airport.
In the 1960s, the airport underwent major renovations and expansions to accommodate the growing number of passengers and airlines. In 2003, a new terminal was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity to handle up to 5 million passengers per year.
Today, Addis Ababa Bole International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Africa, serving as a gateway to the continent for travelers from around the world. The airport has won several awards for its services and facilities, including the Skytrax award for Best Airport in Africa in 2017 and 2018. With ongoing expansion plans, the airport is set to continue its growth and development in the years to come.
Other Airports in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia