The Akwom Airstrip is a small but vital aviation facility located in Papua New Guinea. Nestled amidst the lush tropical landscape, this airstrip serves as a crucial transportation link for remote villages and communities, facilitating access to essential services and supplies.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Akwom Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Akwom Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Akwom Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Akwom Airstrip
- Other Airports in Sandaun (West Sepik), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Akwom Airstrip
To reach Akwom Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, travelers have a few options. The easiest way to get there is by air. The airstrip is located in the Western Highlands Province, near Mount Hagen. Several domestic airlines in Papua New Guinea offer flights to Mount Hagen Airport from various major cities in the country. Once you arrive at Mount Hagen Airport, you can hire a private taxi or take a bus to drive the 70 kilometers southeast to reach Akwom Airstrip.
Alternatively, if you prefer a more adventurous approach, you can reach Akwom Airstrip by road. From the capital city of Port Moresby, you can take a long-distance bus or hire a car and drive approximately 600 kilometers northwest. The journey typically takes around 8 to 10 hours, depending on the road conditions and traffic. The route will take you through various towns and scenic landscapes, allowing you to experience the diversity of Papua New Guinea. Once you reach Mount Hagen, follow the same directions mentioned earlier to reach Akwom Airstrip.
It’s worth noting that road conditions in Papua New Guinea may vary and can be challenging, especially during the rainy season. It’s advisable to plan your trip accordingly and ensure that you have adequate supplies, including food, water, and fuel, for the journey. Additionally, check for any travel advisories or road closures before embarking on your trip.
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options for travelers seeking to explore this beautiful region. Whether you’re visiting for leisure or business purposes, it’s essential to familiarize yourself with the available transport alternatives to ensure a seamless journey. Here are the main transportation options at Akwom Airstrip:
1. Charter Flights: The most convenient way to reach Akwom Airstrip is by booking a charter flight. Numerous local airlines provide this service, allowing you to fly directly to the airstrip from various destinations within Papua New Guinea. Charter flights offer flexibility in terms of scheduling, and you can often customize your itinerary to match your specific needs.
2. Helicopter Transfers: For those seeking a more unique and efficient way of reaching Akwom Airstrip, helicopter transfers are available. These transfers offer an exhilarating experience, allowing you to enjoy breathtaking aerial views of the surrounding landscapes while also saving time compared to other forms of transportation. Helicopter transfers are particularly ideal for individuals traveling with limited time or with a need for rapid access to remote areas.
3. Private Vehicles: Upon arrival at Akwom Airstrip, you may have the option of arranging private vehicle transfers. Most accommodations in the area can assist with organizing transport from the airstrip to your desired destination. Private vehicles provide flexibility and convenience, allowing you to travel at your own pace and explore the region at your leisure. Furthermore, knowledgeable local drivers can provide valuable insights into the area’s history, culture, and attractions.
4. Public Transportation: Although public transportation options are limited around Akwom Airstrip, you may still find a few alternatives to consider. Local buses or shared rides can occasionally be found, but they may be less reliable and flexible compared to private options. It is advisable to inquire about the availability and reliability of public transportation in advance, as schedules and routes may vary.
5. Rental Vehicles: If you prefer the independence and freedom of exploring on your own, renting a vehicle is an excellent option. Several car rental companies operate in Papua New Guinea, and some may offer services near Akwom Airstrip. When renting a vehicle, make sure to research local driving conditions and road safety measures. It’s also important to obtain a valid international driving permit if required and adhere to local traffic laws.
In conclusion, Akwom Airstrip efficiently serves travelers with various transportation options. Whether you choose to fly in on a charter flight, experience the thrill of a helicopter transfer, or opt for private vehicles, each option provides convenient access to explore the beauty of Papua New Guinea. Consider the factors that matter most to you, such as time, convenience, and flexibility, to select the best transportation option for your journey to and from Akwom Airstrip.
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides convenient car parking facilities for travelers. Situated in a picturesque region, it offers a safe and secure space for vehicles while passengers explore the beauty of Papua New Guinea. The car parking area is strategically placed near the airstrip, ensuring ease of access for travelers coming to or departing from Akwom Airstrip. Designed with the utmost convenience in mind, the parking lot is equipped with sufficient space to accommodate a substantial number of vehicles. Travelers can be assured that their cars will be taken care of while they embark on their journeys, ensuring a stress-free experience at Akwom Airstrip.
Car Rental at Akwom Airstrip
Akwom Airstrip is a small and essential air transportation hub located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Serving as a vital connection point for the remote communities in the region, this airport plays a crucial role in facilitating domestic air travel and goods transportation throughout the region.
The terminal facilities at Akwom Airstrip reflect its primary function of providing essential air services to the local population. The terminal building is modest in size and offers basic amenities to passengers. Inside, visitors can find a check-in counter, seating areas, and a small waiting lounge. Despite its simplicity, the terminal is well-maintained, ensuring the comfort and safety of passengers.
Akwom Airstrip excels in providing efficient and reliable air services, a testament to its commitment to serving the needs of remote communities. Airlines operating at this airport offer scheduled flights to various destinations across Papua New Guinea, allowing passengers to connect to larger urban centers and access essential services. Travelers can expect a smooth and hassle-free experience, as the staff at Akwom Airstrip work diligently to ensure that operations run smoothly and on time.
There is limited information available on the airlines operating at Akwom Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. However, one of the known airlines operating at this airstrip is:
1. Tropicair: Tropicair is a Papua New Guinean airline that operates flights to various destinations within the country, including Akwom Airstrip.
Please note that this list is not exhaustive, and there may be other airlines operating at Akwom Airstrip. It is recommended to check with local authorities or travel agencies for the most up-to-date information on airlines serving this airstrip.
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, strictly adheres to well-established security protocols to ensure the safety and protection of all individuals utilizing the facility. As a vital transportation hub for both domestic and international flights, Akwom Airstrip understands the significance of maintaining high security standards.
One of the primary security measures implemented at the airstrip is mandatory passenger screening. All passengers and their luggage go through a thorough screening process before boarding any aircraft. This includes the use of X-ray machines and metal detectors to detect any prohibited items or threats. The utilization of this screening procedure ensures that no malicious intention can jeopardize the safety of passengers and the aviation system.
Additionally, stringent access control measures are in place at Akwom Airstrip. Only authorized personnel, staff, and passengers are granted access beyond the public areas. Security personnel carefully monitor and control all points of entry, limiting unauthorized individuals from entering restricted zones. CCTV cameras are strategically placed throughout the facility to provide surveillance and enhance security vigilance.
Moreover, Akwom Airstrip collaborates closely with local law enforcement agencies, such as aviation security units and police forces, to maintain a strong security presence. These agencies conduct regular patrols and utilization of canine units to ensure the ongoing safety and integrity of the facility. This collaboration ensures that any potential security risks can be promptly identified and addressed.
In conclusion, Akwom Airstrip in Papua New Guinea prioritizes security protocols to create a safe environment for all passengers, staff, and aviation operations. Mandatory passenger screening, access control measures, collaboration with local law enforcement, and surveillance systems contribute to the facility’s comprehensive security approach. These measures not only uphold the safety and well-being of individuals using the airstrip but also preserve the integrity and reliability of the aviation system in this region.
Akwom Airstrip is a small yet essential airstrip located in the Western Province of Papua New Guinea. It serves as a vital transportation hub for both locals and travelers visiting this remote region. The airstrip is nestled amidst the lush greenery and rugged terrain, offering a unique landing experience for adventure seekers and nature enthusiasts.
For travelers planning to visit Akwom Airstrip, it is important to note that there are limited facilities and services available in this remote area. It is advised to make necessary arrangements and seek traveler’s assistance to ensure a hassle-free experience. Local tour operators and travel agencies can provide valuable guidance and support in planning an itinerary, arranging transportation, and organizing accommodation options nearby.
Papua New Guinea Traveler’s Assistance is dedicated to providing reliable information and support to visitors traveling to Akwom Airstrip and other destinations within the country. They can offer assistance in obtaining necessary permits, visas, and travel insurance, as well as provide guidance on local customs, safety precautions, and health advisories. Additionally, they can help connect travelers with reputable guides and tour operators who have in-depth knowledge of the region, ensuring an enriching and secure travel experience.
Traveling to Akwom Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers a unique opportunity to explore the unspoiled beauty of this remote region. With the assistance of knowledgeable travel experts, visitors can make the most of their journey by immersing themselves in the rich cultural heritage, breathtaking landscapes, and diverse wildlife that Papua New Guinea has to offer.
Shops and Restaurants
Located in Papua New Guinea, Akwom Airstrip is a small yet significant airfield that serves as a gateway to the surrounding region. While it may not boast a wide range of shops and restaurants, visitors can still find a few establishments to cater to their needs.
For those seeking a quick bite or a refreshing beverage, there is a small café conveniently situated near the airstrip. Here, travelers can indulge in a variety of snacks, sandwiches, and hot or cold beverages. The café offers a cozy and welcoming atmosphere, providing a pleasant respite for weary travelers.
Additionally, a small convenience store is available near Akwom Airstrip, offering essential items and basic necessities. Visitors can stock up on items such as toiletries, snacks, drinks, and other travel essentials. This store proves to be a valuable resource for those who may have forgotten to pack certain items or require last-minute supplies.
While the options for dining and shopping may be limited, the establishments near Akwom Airstrip strive to provide a convenient and comfortable experience for travelers passing through. Whether you’re in need of a quick snack, a hot cup of coffee, or some essential items, these facilities aim to cater to your needs, ensuring a pleasant stay during your time at the airstrip.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides a vital transportation hub for both locals and visitors. In order to cater to the diverse religious needs of travelers passing through the airstrip, several prayer rooms and worship areas have been established. These spaces offer a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in their spiritual practices and connect with their faith. Here are some of the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Akwom Airstrip, along with their respective locations:
1. Christian Prayer Room: Situated near the main terminal building, the Christian prayer room provides a dedicated space for Christian travelers to offer prayers, seek solace, and reflect on their beliefs. It is equipped with seating arrangements and is adorned with religious symbols and scriptures, fostering an atmosphere conducive to worship.
2. Muslim Prayer Room: Located adjacent to the airport mosque, the Muslim prayer room caters specifically to the needs of Muslim travelers. It offers a serene environment for performing daily prayers and engaging in religious rituals. Equipped with prayer mats and Arabic literature, this space ensures that Muslim visitors have a convenient and comfortable area to practice their faith.
3. Meditation Area: Nestled in a serene corner of the airport grounds, the meditation area is available for individuals seeking a tranquil space for introspection and spiritual rejuvenation. Open to people of all faiths, this area encourages mindfulness and contemplation, allowing visitors to find inner peace amidst the bustling activities of the airstrip.
4. Multi-Faith Chapel: Situated near the departure gate, the multi-faith chapel caters to the diverse religious needs of travelers. This inclusive space welcomes individuals from various faith backgrounds to gather, reflect, and conduct their religious practices. Equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and comfortable seating, the chapel serves as a unifying hub for all those seeking a connection with their spirituality.
These prayer rooms and worship areas at Akwom Airstrip exemplify the airport’s commitment to providing a diverse and inclusive environment for travelers. Whether passengers are seeking a moment of serenity, a place to offer prayers, or an area to engage in religious rituals, these designated spaces ensure that their spiritual needs are respected and fulfilled.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small yet essential transportation hub that serves both domestic and international flights. While it may not boast the same level of amenities as larger airports, Akwom Airstrip still offers a few conveniences for passengers, including WiFi and workspace facilities.
One of the notable features of Akwom Airstrip is its WiFi availability. Travelers can access complimentary internet connectivity throughout the airport premises, allowing them to stay connected with their loved ones, catch up on work or browse the web. Whether you need to send important emails or simply want to stay entertained during your layover, the WiFi at Akwom Airstrip ensures you can do so without any hassle.
Moreover, Akwom Airstrip provides dedicated workspace facilities for those who require a quiet and productive environment. These workspaces are designed to cater to the needs of business travelers or anyone seeking a professional setting. Equipped with comfortable seating arrangements and ample lighting, these areas offer a conducive atmosphere for work-related tasks. Whether you need to prepare for a meeting, complete assignments, or catch up on some reading, the workspace facilities at Akwom Airstrip provide a convenient solution.
It is important to note that while Akwom Airstrip does offer WiFi and workspace facilities, they may be relatively basic compared to larger airports. However, they still serve their purpose by providing essential amenities to passengers passing through this regional transportation hub. Whether you are a frequent traveler or a first-time visitor, the availability of WiFi and workspace facilities at Akwom Airstrip ensures you can stay connected and productive during your time at the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Akwom Airstrip
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options to cater to different budgets and preferences. Whether you’re seeking budget-friendly options or craving a luxurious stay, you’ll find suitable accommodations to enhance your experience in this beautiful part of the world.
1. Guesthouses and Homestays:
For those on a tight budget or looking for an immersive cultural experience, guesthouses and homestays are excellent options. These accommodations generally offer basic amenities such as shared bathrooms, comfortable beds, and common areas for socializing. Staying in a guesthouse or homestay allows you to interact with locals, learn about their traditions, and savor home-cooked meals.
2. Backpacker Hostels:
If you are a solo traveler, group explorer, or backpacker seeking affordability combined with a lively atmosphere, backpacker hostels are ideal. These accommodations typically offer dormitory-style rooms with bunk beds and shared facilities like kitchens and lounges. Most backpacker hostels organize social events and provide helpful information about nearby attractions and activities.
3. Mid-Range Resorts:
For a comfortable stay without breaking the bank, mid-range resorts offer a balance between affordability and amenities. These accommodations typically feature private rooms with en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning, and access to onsite restaurants or cafes. Mid-range resorts may also provide facilities like swimming pools, gardens, and recreational activities to enhance your experience.
4. Luxury Resorts:
If you prefer indulgence and opulence, luxury resorts in the Akwom Airstrip area cater to your desires. These top-notch accommodations offer spacious and elegantly furnished rooms or villas, often with private pools or outdoor jacuzzis. World-class amenities such as fine dining restaurants, spa facilities, fitness centers, and personalized concierge services are commonly found at luxury resorts.
For the environmentally conscious traveler seeking a unique experience while minimizing their ecological impact, eco-lodges offer a sustainable and close-to-nature stay. These accommodations are built with eco-friendly materials and operate with environmental practices in mind. Often situated amidst lush greenery, eco-lodges provide comfortable rooms, organic culinary options, and opportunities for guided nature walks or wildlife encounters.
It’s worth noting that availability and pricing may vary depending on the time of year and demand, so it’s advisable to make reservations in advance, especially during peak tourist seasons. Regardless of your choice, the diverse range of accommodation options at Akwom Airstrip ensures that every visitor can find a suitable place to stay while enjoying the beauty of Papua New Guinea.
1. Tufi Dive Resort: Located just a short distance from Akwom Airstrip, Tufi Dive Resort offers world-class diving experiences. Explore the pristine reefs, vibrant marine life, and unique underwater biodiversity, making it a haven for diving enthusiasts.
2. Kokoda Track: Embark on a historical and challenging trek along the famous Kokoda Track, which stretches through the beautiful mountains and dense jungles of Papua New Guinea. This trail offers a profound experience, retracing the footsteps of the war heroes who fought during World War II.
3. Koki Market: Immerse yourself in the vibrant local culture by visiting Koki Market in Port Moresby. Experience an array of fresh produce, traditional handicrafts, and delicious street food, all while interacting with friendly locals and gaining insight into daily life in Papua New Guinea.
4. Port Moresby Nature Park: A short drive from Akwom Airstrip, Port Moresby Nature Park is an exquisite escape for nature enthusiasts. Explore the diverse flora and fauna, encounter exotic wildlife, and learn about the cultural significance of the local ecosystem through educational exhibits and guided tours.
5. National Parliament House: Delve into the political history of Papua New Guinea by visiting the National Parliament House in Port Moresby. Explore the iconic building, witness parliamentary sessions, and learn about the country’s democratic system and governing processes.
6. Bomana War Cemetery: Pay your respects and commemorate the fallen soldiers of World War II at Bomana War Cemetery. Located just outside of Port Moresby, this beautifully maintained cemetery honors those who fought and lost their lives during the Pacific campaign.
7. Adventure Park PNG: For thrill-seekers, Adventure Park PNG offers an adrenaline-pumping experience. Enjoy outdoor activities such as ziplining, paintball, and high ropes courses, surrounded by lush tropical landscapes and breathtaking views.
8. National Museum and Art Gallery: Explore the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea at the National Museum and Art Gallery in Port Moresby. Discover a vast collection of traditional art, artifacts, and historical displays, providing insights into the country’s diverse tribal cultures and history.
9. Loloata Island Resort: Escape to the idyllic Loloata Island Resort located near Port Moresby. Indulge in luxurious accommodation, enjoy snorkeling or diving in crystal-clear waters, and soak up the beauty of this secluded island paradise.
10. Varirata National Park: Embark on a scenic drive to Varirata National Park, nestled within the Owen Stanley Ranges. Trek through lush rainforests, admire sweeping views from the various lookout points, and spot a myriad of bird species, including the stunning Papua New Guinea’s national bird, the Raggiana Bird of Paradise.
History of Akwom Airstrip
Akwom Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, holds a significant place in the region’s history. Constructed during World War II, it served as an important airfield for the Allied forces. This remote airstrip played a crucial role in the Pacific theater, serving as a base for military aircraft supporting operations in the region.
During the war, Akwom Airstrip was used for various purposes, such as refueling, resupplying, and conducting reconnaissance missions. The airstrip’s location, hidden amongst the dense jungle, provided a strategic advantage, allowing planes to operate discreetly and avoid potential attacks. Its challenging terrain and limited facilities posed numerous challenges for the military personnel stationed there, but they overcame these obstacles with determination and resourcefulness.
Since World War II, Akwom Airstrip has transitioned into a vital transportation hub for the surrounding communities. Today, it serves as a lifeline for remote villages, connecting them to essential goods, medical services, and educational opportunities. The airstrip’s historical significance, coupled with its crucial role in the present, stands as a testimony to the resilience and adaptability of the people of Papua New Guinea, who have transformed this once-military facility into an integral part of their daily lives.
Other Airports in Sandaun (West Sepik), Papua New Guinea
- Aitape Airport
- Akwom Airstrip
- Amanab Airport
- Anguganak Airport
- Arkosame Airstrip
- Bak Airstrip
- Bewani Airport
- Blackwara Airport
- Buluwo Airstrip
- Busilmin Airstrip
- Duranmin Airstrip
- Edwaki Airport
- Eliptamin Airport
- Fas Airstrip
- Feramin Airport
- Fiyak Airstrip
- Gawa Airstrip
- Green River Airport
- Gubil Airstrip
- Guriaso Airport
- Ibil Airstrip
- Idam Airstrip
- Imonda Airport
- Kabori Airstrip
- Kafle Airstrip
- Kamberatoro Airport
- Kilifas Airstrip
- Kwieftim Airstrip
- Kwomtari Airstrip
- Leitre Airport
- Lumi Airport
- Miyanmin Airport
- Moi Airstrip
- Munbil Airport
- Nuku Airport
- Okisai Airstrip
- Oksapmin Airport
- Ossima Airport
- Serra Airstrip
- Siawi Airstrip
- Sibilanga Airstrip
- Sinow Airstrip
- Sisamin Airstrip
- Sissano Airport
- Smok Airstrip
- Tadji Airport
- Tekin Airport
- Telefomin Airport
- Tifalmin Airport
- Tumolbil Airport
- Utai Airstrip
- Vanimo Airport
- Warasai Airstrip
- Wobagen Airstrip
- Yanungen Airstrip
- Yapsiei Airport
- Yebil Airstrip
- Yemin Airstrip
- Yili Airstrip
- Yilui Airstrip