Located in the eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea, Ama Airport serves as a vital gateway to this island nation’s remote and rugged terrains. With its asphalt runway and essential facilities, Ama Airport enables convenient access for both domestic and international travelers, fostering vital connections to this unique and culturally rich region.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Ama Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Ama Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Ama Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Ama Airport
- Other Airports in East Sepik, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Ama Airport
To get to Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea, you can start by booking a flight to Port Moresby, the country’s capital. Several international airlines offer direct flights to Port Moresby Jacksons International Airport from major cities around the world. From there, you’ll need to catch a domestic flight to the Wewak Airport, which serves as a gateway to Ama. These domestic flights are typically operated by Air Niugini or PNG Air. Once you arrive in Wewak, you can arrange for a taxi or private transportation to take you to Ama Airport, which is located approximately 42 kilometers south of Wewak. The journey usually takes around 45 minutes by car.
When it comes to transportation options at Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea, passengers have a few choices to consider. These options ensure that individuals can conveniently travel to and from the airport for their journey. Let’s explore the transportation choices available:
1. Taxis: Taxis are a popular and easily accessible means of transportation at Ama Airport. Passengers can find taxis waiting outside the terminal building, making it convenient to book transportation upon arrival or departure. Taxis offer a comfortable and reliable option for those traveling to nearby towns or cities.
2. Airport Shuttle: Ama Airport also provides shuttle services to cater to passengers’ transportation needs. These shuttles operate on fixed schedules and transfer travelers between the airport and specific destinations. Passengers can arrange for shuttle services in advance or inquire at designated counters upon their arrival.
3. Car Rental: For those who prefer the freedom and flexibility of driving themselves, car rental services are available at Ama Airport. Several renowned car rental companies have counters inside the terminal, offering a range of vehicles to suit different preferences and budgets. Renting a car allows passengers to explore the region at their own pace.
4. Public Transportation: While public transportation options may not be as extensively available as taxis or shuttles, there are local buses and minivans that operate near Ama Airport. These forms of transport are generally more affordable and may be an option for travelers on a tighter budget or those looking to experience local commuting.
5. Hotel Transfers: Many hotels near Ama Airport provide dedicated transportation services to their guests. These transfers can be arranged in advance or upon check-in, ensuring a hassle-free journey to and from the airport. Hotel transfers often prioritize convenience and can save passengers from the task of finding alternative transportation upon arrival.
It is advisable to consider personal preferences, budgetary constraints, and the specific needs of one’s journey when choosing from the transportation options at Ama Airport. Keeping these choices in mind will help ensure a seamless and comfortable travel experience.
1. Ama Airport Car Parking – Located at the main entrance of Ama Airport, Papua New Guinea, this secure car park offers ample space for parking your vehicle while you travel. The parking area is easily accessible and conveniently situated just a short walk from the airport terminal.
2. Ama Airport Long-Term Parking – Situated adjacent to the airport’s main parking area, Ama Airport Long-Term Parking is the ideal choice for travelers who require extended parking options. This spacious parking lot provides a safe and secure environment for leaving your vehicle for an extended period, ensuring peace of mind during your trip.
3. Ama Airport Short-Term Parking – For those embarking on shorter journeys, Ama Airport Short-Term Parking is located near the terminal building, ensuring quick and easy access to the departure gates. This parking area is designed for travelers who need to park their vehicle for the duration of their trip, offering convenience and proximity to the airport facilities.
4. Ama Airport Premium Parking – Located closest to the terminal building, Ama Airport Premium Parking is the ultimate choice for travelers seeking convenience and ease of access. With reserved spaces available, this premium parking area ensures that you can quickly reach the departure gates without any hassle. Additionally, an increased level of security is provided, ensuring your vehicle’s safety throughout your journey.
5. Ama Airport Overflow Parking – In the event that the main parking areas are full, Ama Airport offers overflow parking options for the convenience of travelers. These parking areas are regularly monitored and are situated within a short distance from the airport terminal, ensuring a seamless parking experience, even during peak travel periods.
Please note that the availability of parking options may vary, and it is recommended to check with the airport or any relevant updates for the most accurate information.
Car Rental at Ama Airport
Ama Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a key transportation hub in the country’s Gulf Province. The airport features modern terminals that cater to the needs of both domestic and international travelers. The terminals are equipped with all the essential facilities and amenities required for a comfortable travel experience.
One of the major highlights of Ama Airport terminals is their spacious and well-designed layout, allowing for easy navigation and hassle-free movements. The terminals are equipped with several check-in counters, ensuring quick and efficient processes for passengers. Additionally, there are dedicated baggage handling areas that make it convenient for travelers to drop off and collect their luggage.
Moreover, Ama Airport terminals feature comfortable waiting lounges where passengers can relax and unwind before their flight. These lounges offer comfortable seating, charging points for electronic devices, and a range of amenities like restrooms, shops, and eateries, providing a pleasant environment for travelers during their layovers.
Furthermore, the terminals at Ama Airport prioritize safety and security measures to ensure the well-being of passengers. Equipped with advanced technology and surveillance systems, the airport terminals maintain a high level of security throughout the premises. Additionally, friendly and helpful staff members are present to assist passengers with any queries or concerns they may have.
Overall, Ama Airport terminals in Papua New Guinea are well-designed and equipped to meet the needs of travelers. With their efficient processes, comfortable waiting areas, and stringent security measures, the terminals provide a convenient and safe travel experience for both domestic and international visitors.
The airlines that operate at Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea are:
1. Airlink (PNG) Ltd.
2. Air Niugini
4. Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)
Ama Airport, situated in Papua New Guinea, follows strict security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of its passengers and staff. The airport recognizes the crucial importance of maintaining a secure and controlled environment for air travel. Therefore, a range of measures are implemented to uphold these protocols and mitigate potential risks.
Upon arrival at Ama Airport, travelers are subjected to thorough security screening procedures. These include baggage searches using advanced scanning equipment and personal inspection through body scanners or metal detectors. Hand luggage is also screened for prohibited items, and any security threats or suspicious behavior are promptly addressed by trained security personnel. These protocols are essential in safeguarding the airport premises from potential security breaches.
In addition to passenger screening, Ama Airport maintains a robust security infrastructure throughout the facility. Surveillance cameras are strategically placed to monitor critical areas, ensuring a constant watch over the airport’s operations. Security personnel, specially trained in threat detection and emergency response, are present at all times to maintain order and address any security concerns promptly. Regular security drills and training sessions are also conducted to enhance staff preparedness and response times in case of emergencies.
By adhering to stringent security protocols, Ama Airport upholds its commitment to providing a safe and secure environment for all passengers and airport personnel. These measures are continuously reviewed and updated to address emerging threats and ensure that the airport remains at the forefront of aviation security in Papua New Guinea.
Ama Airport is a small domestic airport located in Papua New Guinea, serving the Ama district and nearby communities. Despite its size, the airport plays a crucial role in connecting travelers to various destinations within the country. Travelers can rely on the assistance provided at Ama Airport to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey.
Upon arrival at Ama Airport, travelers can expect a range of traveler’s assistance services. The airport staff is known for their friendly and helpful nature, always ready to assist passengers with any queries or concerns. From providing information about flight schedules to assisting with luggage, they go the extra mile to ensure a pleasant experience for all travelers.
For those unfamiliar with the region, Ama Airport also offers travel guidance and recommendations. Whether it’s suggesting popular tourist attractions in Papua New Guinea or helping with transportation arrangements, the airport staff is well-equipped to provide necessary assistance. Additionally, they can offer insights into local customs and traditions, helping visitors immerse themselves in the vibrant culture of the region.
In conclusion, Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea offers reliable traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable journey for all passengers. With friendly staff members always ready to lend a hand, travelers can feel confident that their needs will be met. From providing flight information to offering travel guidance, Ama Airport strives to make every traveler’s experience a memorable one.
Shops and Restaurants
1. The Duty-Free Shop: Located within Ama Airport, the duty-free shop offers a wide selection of products including cosmetics, fragrances, electronics, alcohol, tobacco, and more. Travellers can enjoy tax-free shopping before their flight and find unique items to take home as souvenirs.
2. Café Aroma: If you’re craving a delicious cup of coffee or a quick bite to eat, Café Aroma is the perfect place to relax before your flight. The café offers a variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as freshly baked pastries, sandwiches, and snacks. With its cozy atmosphere and friendly staff, Café Aroma provides a pleasant and convenient dining experience.
3. Island Delights Restaurant: For a taste of local cuisine, visit Island Delights Restaurant at Ama Airport. This restaurant serves up a variety of delicious Papua New Guinean dishes that showcase the rich flavors and traditions of the region. From fresh seafood to aromatic curries, you’ll find a diverse menu that caters to different tastes and dietary preferences.
4. Souvenir Corner: Located within the airport, the Souvenir Corner is the perfect place to find unique gifts and memorabilia to commemorate your visit to Papua New Guinea. From handcrafted traditional masks and jewelry to colorful woven textiles, this shop offers an array of authentic souvenirs that showcase the country’s vibrant culture and heritage.
5. Newsstand and convenience store: Whether you forgot to pack a travel essential or need some reading material for your journey, the newsstand and convenience store at Ama Airport has you covered. From toiletries and snacks to newspapers and magazines, this store offers a wide range of products to meet your last-minute travel needs.
6. Snack kiosk: Ama Airport also features a convenient snack kiosk where you can grab a quick bite on the go. From sandwiches and salads to freshly baked pastries and refreshing beverages, this kiosk offers a variety of options to satisfy your cravings while you wait for your flight.
Overall, Ama Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options that cater to the needs and preferences of travellers. Whether you’re looking to indulge in local cuisine, find unique souvenirs, or grab a quick bite, you can find it all within the airport premises.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
At Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea, travelers can find serene prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to their religious needs. These spaces have been thoughtfully established to provide a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in prayer, meditation, and worship. Here are the locations of these prayer rooms and worship areas within the airport premises:
1. Terminal Building: Inside the main terminal building, near the departure gates, you will discover a dedicated prayer room. This tranquil space offers a serene atmosphere for passengers to retreat and reflect upon their faith.
2. International Arrivals Area: Adjacent to the international arrivals area, there is a separate worship area available. This designated space is equipped with essential facilities to accommodate various religious practices and rituals.
3. Domestic Departures Lounge: Within the domestic departures lounge, a well-appointed prayer room awaits passengers. It offers a quiet escape where travelers can seek solace and engage in personal devotion before their flight.
4. Baggage Claim Area: For those arriving at Ama Airport, a prayer room is conveniently situated near the baggage claim area. This location provides an opportunity for passengers to offer prayers and express gratitude upon reaching their destination.
5. Airport Chapel: Ama Airport also features an airport chapel, which serves as a multi-faith worship center. This inclusive space welcomes individuals from various religious backgrounds and provides a venue for communal prayers, religious ceremonies, or simply moments of quiet contemplation.
These prayer rooms and worship areas at Ama Airport demonstrate the airport’s commitment to respecting and accommodating the diverse religious needs of passengers. Whether you are departing, arriving, or in transit, these designated spaces offer a haven for spiritual reflection, allowing travelers to find solace amidst the bustling airport environment.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
AMA Airport in Papua New Guinea offers WiFi and workspace facilities for the convenience of its passengers.
The airport understands the importance of staying connected in this digital age, which is why it provides free WiFi access throughout its terminal. Whether you need to check your emails, browse the web, or connect with loved ones, you can easily do so without any hassle. The WiFi network is reliable and fast, ensuring a seamless online experience for all travelers.
Additionally, AMA Airport recognizes the need for a suitable workspace for those who require a quiet and productive environment. The airport provides dedicated workstations equipped with comfortable seating, ample desk space, and power outlets for charging your electronic devices. These workspaces are perfect for business travelers or anyone who needs to catch up on work or studies while waiting for their flight.
The airport’s workspace facilities are designed to meet the needs of different individuals. Whether you prefer to work in a communal area or require a private space, there are options available to cater to your requirements. The workstations are well-maintained and offer a peaceful atmosphere, allowing you to focus on your tasks without any distractions.
AMA Airport understands that connectivity and productivity are essential for modern-day travelers. By offering WiFi and workspace facilities, the airport aims to provide a comfortable and efficient experience for all its passengers. So, whether you need to connect online or get some work done, rest assured that AMA Airport has you covered.
Accomodation Options Nearby Ama Airport
When visiting Ama Airport in Papua New Guinea, you’ll find a range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, Ama Airport has something for everyone. Here are the accommodation options available:
1. Guesthouses and Budget Lodges: For the budget-conscious traveler, there are several guesthouses and budget lodges near Ama Airport. These accommodations offer basic rooms with essential amenities such as comfortable beds, shared bathrooms, and some even provide meals. They are perfect for those looking for a simple and affordable place to rest during their stay.
2. Mid-Range Hotels: There are mid-range hotels around Ama Airport that offer comfortable and reasonably priced rooms. These hotels often include amenities such as private bathrooms, air conditioning, Wi-Fi, and on-site restaurants. They provide a good balance between affordability and comfort, making them popular choices among travelers.
3. Luxury Resorts: For a more upscale experience, there are luxurious resorts near Ama Airport that cater to those seeking a lavish stay. These resorts boast spacious rooms with elegant decor, private balconies or patios, swimming pools, spa facilities, and fine dining restaurants. They offer top-notch service and stunning views, ensuring a truly indulgent and relaxing stay.
4. Eco-Lodges and Nature Retreats: If you are an eco-conscious traveler or simply wish to immerse yourself in nature, consider staying at one of the eco-lodges or nature retreats surrounding Ama Airport. These accommodations blend harmoniously with their natural surroundings, offering unique experiences such as guided jungle tours, birdwatching, and eco-friendly practices. They often have comfortable rooms, delicious local cuisine, and stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
5. Homestays and Cultural Experiences: For a more authentic and immersive experience, you might consider staying in a homestay near Ama Airport. This option allows you to live with a local family, gaining insights into their culture, traditions, and way of life. Homestays provide cozy rooms, home-cooked meals, and opportunities to participate in local activities, providing a deeper connection with the community.
In conclusion, Ama Airport offers a variety of accommodation options to suit every traveler’s preferences and budget. Whether you choose a budget guesthouse, a comfortable mid-range hotel, a luxurious resort, an eco-lodge, or a homestay, you can look forward to a memorable stay while exploring the beauty of Papua New Guinea.
1. Mount Hagen: Located roughly 30 kilometers from Ama Airport, Mount Hagen is a prominent destination known for its stunning landscapes, including waterfalls and mountain ranges. It offers opportunities for hiking, birdwatching, and exploring Papua New Guinea’s unique flora and fauna.
2. Baiyer River Wildlife Sanctuary: Situated around 40 kilometers from Ama Airport, this sanctuary is a haven for wildlife enthusiasts. Visitors can spot a variety of tropical bird species, kangaroos, wallabies, and even rare tree kangaroos while exploring this pristine habitat.
3. Western Highlands Provincial Museum: Located in Mt. Hagen town, just a short drive from Ama Airport, this museum offers a glimpse into the diverse cultures and traditions of the Western Highlands Province. It exhibits an impressive collection of traditional artifacts, artwork, and historical relics.
4. Waghi Valley: A gorgeous valley known for its picturesque landscapes, fertile farmland, and vibrant cultural traditions, the Waghi Valley is a must-visit attraction near Ama Airport. Visitors can explore the rural villages, interact with friendly locals, and witness traditional customs and dances.
5. Dei District: A scenic drive from Ama Airport, the Dei District is renowned for its unique tribal rituals, including the famous Enga sing-sings. These traditional performances feature colorful costumes, lively dances, and the beating of kundu drums—a true cultural spectacle.
6. Banz Kofi Haus: Nestled within the picturesque Waghi Valley, Banz Kofi Haus offers visitors a chance to experience the famous Papua New Guinean coffee culture. Here, one can learn about the coffee-making process, sample freshly brewed coffee, and purchase high-quality organic coffee beans.
7. Hagen Show: Those visiting Ama Airport in August can treat themselves to the vibrant Hagen Show, an annual cultural event attracting locals and tourists alike. The show features traditional dances, tribal performances, agricultural displays, and a colorful parade.
8. Kagamuga Trail: Adventure seekers can embark on the Kagamuga Trail, a moderately challenging trek that begins near Ama Airport. This scenic trail winds through lush rainforests, crossing rivers and offering breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes.
9. JK McCarthy Museum: Situated in Mount Hagen, this museum showcases the rich history of aviation in Papua New Guinea, paying homage to the famous Australian missionary pilot, Jim McCarthy. Visitors can explore his collection of aircraft models, memorabilia, and learn about the evolution of aviation in the region.
10. Lake Kutubu: Further afield but worth mentioning, Lake Kutubu is a tranquil and beautiful natural attraction. It is a secluded freshwater lake located in the Southern Highlands region of Papua New Guinea. Travelers can indulge in fishing, birdwatching, and take boat rides to explore the lake’s islands and local communities.
Note: The distances provided are approximate and may vary depending on exact locations and road conditions.
History of Ama Airport
Ama Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has a rich history that dates back to its establishment in the early 1960s. The airport was originally built by the Australian government as part of their aid program to support the country’s development. Its strategic positioning in the Western Highlands Province has made it an essential transportation hub for both domestic and international flights.
Over the years, Ama Airport has played a significant role in connecting the local communities with the rest of Papua New Guinea and the world. It has witnessed a steady increase in passenger and cargo traffic, contributing to the region’s economic growth. The airport’s infrastructure has undergone several upgrades and expansions to accommodate the growing demand for air travel, improving its operational efficiency and safety standards.
Ama Airport has also served as a vital lifeline during times of emergency and natural disasters. Its location in a region prone to earthquakes and landslides has made it a crucial base for disaster relief operations, allowing aid to be efficiently transported to affected areas. The airport’s ability to provide essential services during difficult times has garnered praise from both locals and international relief organizations.
Today, Ama Airport continues to play an integral role in Papua New Guinea’s aviation industry. It serves as a gateway to the Western Highlands Province, promoting tourism, trade, and business opportunities in the region. With ongoing efforts to enhance its facilities and services, Ama Airport remains committed to providing a safe and convenient travel experience for all its passengers, while playing a significant part in the country’s development and prosperity.
Other Airports in East Sepik, Papua New Guinea
- Ama Airport
- Ambunti Airport
- Anangalo Airstrip
- Angoram Airport
- April River Airport
- Bisorio Airstrip
- Brugam Airstrip
- Bunam Airstrip
- Eleme Airstrip
- Frieda River Airport
- Geigorobi Airstrip
- Hauna Airstrip
- Hayfields Airport
- Hotmin Airstrip
- Inaru Airstrip
- Iropena Airstrip
- Iteri Airstrip
- Jangit Airstrip
- Kairiru Airstrip
- Kapaimeri Airstrip
- Karawari Airstrip
- Kirinbit Airstrip
- Klauhau Airstrip
- Kosimbi Airstrip
- Malamaunda Airstrip
- May River Airstrip
- Mirsey Airstrip
- Munduku Airport
- Nugwaia Airstrip
- Oum Airstrip
- Pukapuki Airstrip
- Samban Airstrip
- Sangera Airstrip
- Sepik Plains Airport
- Slai Airstrip
- Sumwari Airstrip
- Tamo Airstrip
- Timbunke Airport
- Tinboli Airport
- Torembi Airport
- Wewak International Airport
- Yagrombok Airstrip
- Yawa Airstrip