The Ambua Airstrip is a small but vital aviation facility located in the Tari Basin of Papua New Guinea. Serving the remote Ambua Lodge, the airstrip provides essential access to the region’s breathtaking mountainous landscapes, cultural heritage, and diverse flora and fauna.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Ambua Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Ambua Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Ambua Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Ambua Airstrip
- Other Airports in Hela, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Ambua Airstrip
To reach Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, you will need to take a flight to Tari airport. Tari airport acts as the gateway to Ambua Airstrip and is readily accessible from major airports like Port Moresby and Mount Hagen. Many domestic airlines, including Air Niugini, provide regular flights to Tari.
From Tari airport, you can take a short 20-minute drive to Ambua Airstrip. There are several options available for ground transportation, including taxis, private cars, and pre-arranged transfers. It is recommended to check with your accommodation or travel agent beforehand to organize a convenient transfer.
Once you reach Ambua Airstrip, you can easily reach your desired destination by arranging transportation accordingly. The airstrip is often used by visitors intending to explore the Tari Basin and Ambua Lodge, a popular eco-tourism destination. Remember to plan your visit and accommodation arrangements in advance to ensure a seamless and enjoyable travel experience.
Ambua Airstrip, located in the beautiful highlands of Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options for visitors. These options cater to both local residents and tourists, ensuring a convenient and comfortable journey to and from this remote airstrip.
1. Domestic Flights: Ambua Airstrip is primarily serviced by domestic flights from various airlines, including Air Niugini, PNG Air, and HeliSolutions. These airlines provide regular flights, allowing easy access to and from the airstrip. Passengers can book tickets through their websites or travel agencies, ensuring a smooth and efficient travel experience.
2. Chartered Flights: For those seeking more personalized travel arrangements, chartered flights are available at the Ambua Airstrip. Whether for business or leisure purposes, visitors can hire private planes or helicopters to reach their desired destinations. This option offers flexibility in terms of departure times and destinations, allowing travelers to create a customized itinerary.
3. Local Transport: Once at the Ambua Airstrip, various transport options can be utilized to reach nearby towns or tourist attractions. Local taxis and minivans are readily available and can be found near the airstrip. These vehicles provide affordable and convenient transportation, accommodating both individual travelers and groups. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before embarking on the journey.
4. Hotel Transfers: Many hotels and lodges in the vicinity of Ambua Airstrip offer transportation services to and from the airport. Visitors can arrange for pick-up and drop-off services at the time of booking or upon arrival. This option ensures a hassle-free transfer, especially for those carrying heavy luggage or wanting a smooth transition to their accommodation.
5. Tour Operators: Travelers looking to explore the stunning highlands of Papua New Guinea can make use of tour operators who provide transportation as part of their tour packages. These operators offer comfortable vehicles or 4WD transportation, enabling visitors to discover the region’s unique landscapes, cultural sites, and attractions. This option allows travelers to enjoy a guided experience with knowledgeable tour guides.
It is important to note that Ambua Airstrip is a remote location with limited transportation infrastructure. Visitors are advised to book their flights and arrange their transportation well in advance to ensure availability and proper planning. Additionally, some roads in the surrounding areas may be rough or unpaved, so it is recommended to choose appropriate vehicles for comfortable travel.
In summary, transportation options at Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea include domestic flights, chartered flights, local transport services, hotel transfers, and tour operators. These options cater to the needs of both residents and tourists, providing convenient and reliable transportation to various destinations in the highlands.
Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides convenient car parking facilities for visitors arriving by air. There are several car parking options available near Ambua Airstrip, offering secure and easily accessible spaces for vehicles. Here are some of the car parking areas located near Ambua Airstrip and their respective locations:
1. Ambua Lodge Car Park: Located within the premises of Ambua Lodge, this car park offers a safe and convenient parking solution for guests staying at the lodge. It is situated just a short distance from the airstrip, ensuring easy access for those arriving by plane.
2. Tari Basin Shopping Center Car Park: Situated near the shopping center, this car park is another convenient option for visitors traveling to Ambua Airstrip. It provides ample parking space and is located within a reasonable distance from the airstrip.
3. Local Community Car Park: In close proximity to Ambua Airstrip, the local community has established a car park for the convenience of travelers. This parking area offers a secure space to park your vehicle while visiting Ambua Airstrip.
4. Tari Airport Authority Car Park: Managed by the Tari Airport Authority, this car park is located within the airport premises. It provides a handy parking solution for those utilizing Ambua Airstrip and is well-maintained to ensure the safety of vehicles.
When choosing a car park near Ambua Airstrip, it is advisable to consider proximity to the airstrip, safety measures, and accessibility. These parking areas aim to cater to the needs of visitors to Ambua Airstrip, allowing for a hassle-free and secure parking experience.
Car Rental at Ambua Airstrip
Located in the heart of the lush Tari Valley, Ambua Airstrip serves as a vital transportation hub in Papua New Guinea. Situated in the Southern Highlands province, this small but functional airstrip provides essential connectivity to remote regions within the country. The airport plays a crucial role in serving the local community, welcoming domestic flights from major cities like Port Moresby and Mount Hagen.
Despite being a relatively modest facility, Ambua Airstrip features a single terminal building that offers travelers basic amenities to ensure a comfortable journey. Passengers can find a check-in desk for their flights, as well as a waiting area equipped with seating. While there are no shops or extensive dining options available on-site, the airport’s serene surroundings create a tranquil atmosphere for visitors. The terminal at Ambua Airstrip showcases local traditional artwork, highlighting the rich cultural heritage of the region.
Ambua Airstrip’s remote location and rugged terrain require specific aircraft capabilities, which enable safe takeoffs and landings on the short runway. The airport’s limited capacity also means that travelers can expect a more intimate and personalized travel experience. From the moment passengers enter the terminal, they are greeted by friendly airport staff who strive to provide efficient customer service and assist with any inquiries. In addition, Ambua Airstrip offers scenic views of the surrounding mountains, allowing travelers to appreciate the breathtaking natural beauty of Papua New Guinea while waiting for their flights.
Overall, Ambua Airstrip serves as a vital gateway for both local residents and adventurous tourists seeking to explore the picturesque landscapes of Tari Valley. Despite its relatively basic facilities, the airport’s accessible location and serene ambiance make it an essential transportation link within Papua New Guinea’s remote Southern Highlands province.
As of my knowledge, there are no airlines currently operating at Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. However, please note that the airline industry is subject to change, so it is recommended to check with local authorities or travel agencies for the latest information.
Ambua Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, follows strict security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers and staff. These protocols are in place to minimize any potential threats and maintain a secure environment for all involved.
As a vital transportation hub, Ambua Airstrip takes security seriously. Before passengers can access the airstrip, they undergo thorough screening procedures carried out by trained security personnel. This includes the use of metal detectors and X-ray machines to scan both passengers and their luggage. These measures are in place to detect any prohibited items or suspicious substances that may pose a threat to the safety of the flight.
Furthermore, the airstrip has a robust surveillance system in place, ensuring that all areas are closely monitored. Security cameras are strategically positioned to cover key areas of the airstrip, including the terminal building, runways, and other public spaces. This allows for real-time observation and quick response in case of any suspicious activities or emergencies.
In addition to these physical security measures, Ambua Airstrip also has a trained security team present throughout the premises. These professionals are equipped to handle various situations, from passenger assistance to responding to potential security incidents. Their presence provides an added layer of protection and reassurance for travelers.
By implementing these rigorous security protocols, Ambua Airstrip aims to provide a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff. These measures help to mitigate risks and ensure the smooth operation of flights, ultimately fostering confidence and peace of mind among those utilizing the services of the airstrip.
Ambua Airstrip, located in the Southern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, serves as a crucial gateway for travelers exploring the breathtaking region. This remote airstrip provides valuable assistance to visitors, ensuring a smooth and convenient travel experience. With its informative and supportive services, Ambua Airstrip facilitates seamless travel arrangements for those wishing to discover the natural wonders and cultural richness of Papua New Guinea.
Travelers can rely on Ambua Airstrip for various assistance services, starting from pre-flight arrangements to post-arrival guidance. The knowledgeable staff at the airstrip is dedicated to providing travelers with accurate and up-to-date information, including flight schedules, ticketing, and baggage handling. They are committed to ensuring that visitors have a hassle-free journey and can reach their desired destinations in a timely manner.
Moreover, Ambua Airstrip offers traveler assistance beyond the airport premises. Local guides and tour operators are available to provide information on nearby attractions, accommodation options, and transportation arrangements. These experts are well-versed in the region’s cultural heritage, biodiversity, and adventure opportunities, allowing travelers to make the most of their time in Papua New Guinea.
In summary, Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea serves as an invaluable resource for travelers seeking assistance and guidance during their exploration of the Southern Highlands Province. With its informative and supportive services, this remote airstrip ensures a seamless travel experience, from pre-flight arrangements to post-arrival guidance. By providing accurate information and connecting visitors with local experts, Ambua Airstrip plays a crucial role in helping travelers discover the natural wonders and cultural richness of this captivating region.
Shops and Restaurants
Ambua Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small airstrip serving the remote and breathtaking Ambua Lodge. As a result, the airstrip itself does not have a wide range of shops and restaurants. However, visitors to Ambua Lodge can enjoy a variety of dining options and shopping experiences within the lodge itself.
Ambua Lodge is renowned for its high-quality service and amenities, ensuring that guests have a comfortable and enjoyable stay. The lodge features a restaurant where guests can savor delicious meals prepared by skilled chefs. The menu offers a diverse range of cuisine, combining local flavors with international influences. From traditional Papua New Guinean dishes to international favorites, guests can indulge in a culinary journey that caters to different tastes and dietary preferences.
The lodge also has a bar, offering a selection of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages. After a day of exploring the stunning surroundings, guests can unwind with a refreshing cocktail or enjoy a local beer while taking in the breathtaking views from the lodge’s terrace.
In terms of shopping, Ambua Lodge offers a small boutique where visitors can find unique souvenirs and gifts. This boutique showcases locally crafted items, such as traditional artwork, handmade jewelry, and intricately woven textiles. These items not only make for beautiful mementos but also support local artisans and contribute to the preservation of traditional Papua New Guinean culture.
While Ambua Airstrip itself may not have a wide range of shops and restaurants, the nearby Ambua Lodge ensures that visitors have access to a variety of dining options and a unique shopping experience. Whether it’s enjoying a delicious meal or browsing for one-of-a-kind souvenirs, Ambua Lodge offers a memorable and enriching stay in the heart of Papua New Guinea’s stunning natural beauty.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Ambua Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides a vital transportation link for the surrounding communities. For travelers and locals alike, having access to prayer rooms and worship areas can offer a peaceful and spiritual respite amidst their journeys. Fortunately, Ambua Airstrip offers several such facilities, strategically located to cater to various religious needs.
1. Christian Chapel:
Located near the main entrance of Ambua Airstrip, a Christian chapel serves as a place of worship for Christians. This serene and modestly adorned space offers a quiet environment for prayer, reflection, and religious services. The chapel welcomes individuals from different Christian denominations, fostering unity and inclusiveness.
2. Muslim Prayer Room:
Recognizing the diverse religious landscape of Papua New Guinea, Ambua Airstrip also provides a dedicated prayer room for Muslims. Situated adjacent to the departure lounge, this prayer room offers a tranquil space for Muslims to perform their daily prayers, observe religious rituals, and seek spiritual solace while waiting for their flights.
3. Meditation Area:
For those seeking a tranquil space for personal reflection or meditation, Ambua Airstrip provides a designated meditation area. Located in a serene corner within the airport premises, this space offers a serene atmosphere, encouraging individuals of all faiths or no specific religious affiliation to find peace and contemplate in their own way.
4. Indigenous Spirituality Space:
Papua New Guinea is rich in indigenous cultures and spirituality. Acknowledging and respecting the unique beliefs and practices of the local communities, Ambua Airstrip has designated an area specifically for indigenous spirituality. This sacred space is adorned with traditional symbols and artifacts, allowing individuals to connect with the rich cultural heritage and spiritual traditions of Papua New Guinea.
It is important to note that these prayer rooms and worship areas at Ambua Airstrip are open to all passengers and visitors, regardless of their religious or spiritual beliefs. They serve as inclusive spaces that promote respect, understanding, and harmony among individuals from diverse backgrounds. Whether one seeks solace, guidance, or simply a moment of quiet contemplation, these facilities cater to the spiritual needs of all who visit Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Ambua Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of its passengers. While the connectivity options may not be as extensive as in urban areas, the amenities available at the airstrip strive to provide a comfortable and productive environment for travelers.
WiFi at Ambua Airstrip is available, but it is important to note that the signal strength and speed may vary. The coverage may not be as strong as in urban areas due to the remote location of the airstrip. However, the WiFi connection does allow passengers to stay connected and access basic online services.
In terms of workspace facilities, Ambua Airstrip offers a designated area where passengers can comfortably work or catch up on tasks. This area is equipped with tables and chairs, providing a suitable space for individuals who require a productive environment. While the workspace area may not be as extensive as in larger airports, it offers a convenient space for passengers to focus on their work or engage in other activities.
It is worth noting that the availability of WiFi and workspace facilities at Ambua Airstrip may be subject to occasional disruptions or limitations. The remote location and infrastructure constraints can occasionally affect the reliability of these amenities. However, the staff at the airstrip strive to ensure a satisfactory experience for passengers, continuously working towards improving the connectivity and workspace provisions.
Overall, Ambua Airstrip acknowledges the importance of WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers. While the options may be limited compared to urban areas, the aim is to provide a comfortable and productive environment where passengers can stay connected and accomplish their tasks.
Accomodation Options Nearby Ambua Airstrip
Ambua Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options catering to various budgets and preferences. Whether you are looking for budget-friendly options or seeking ultimate luxury, you can find a place that suits your needs. Here are the accommodation options available at Ambua Airstrip, providing a comfortable stay amidst the stunning natural beauty of the region:
1. Budget Lodges and Guesthouses:
For travelers on a tight budget, there are several budget lodges and guesthouses near Ambua Airstrip. These accommodations offer clean and modest rooms with essential amenities at affordable rates. While they may not have luxurious facilities, they provide a convenient base for exploring the area.
2. Mid-Range Hotels and Resorts:
Ideal for those seeking a balance between comfort and affordability, mid-range hotels and resorts at Ambua Airstrip offer comfortable rooms with amenities such as private bathrooms, Wi-Fi, and on-site dining options. These accommodations provide a pleasant stay with good value for money.
3. Eco-Lodges and Nature Retreats:
Perfect for eco-conscious travelers, Ambua Airstrip boasts several eco-lodges and nature retreats that blend seamlessly with the surrounding environment. These accommodations offer unique experiences, allowing guests to immerse themselves in nature while providing comfortable amenities and a sustainable approach to hospitality.
4. Boutique Hotels and Lodges:
If you prefer a more exclusive and intimate stay, boutique hotels and lodges at Ambua Airstrip provide a tranquil setting amidst lush surroundings. These accommodations often offer personalized services, refined interiors, and a range of amenities designed to cater to the needs of discerning guests.
5. Luxury Resorts and Retreats:
For the ultimate indulgence, luxury resorts and retreats near Ambua Airstrip provide an opulent experience amidst the breathtaking landscapes. These high-end accommodations offer spacious suites or villas, top-notch facilities such as spas, fine dining options, private pools, and dedicated staff providing exceptional service.
Note: It is important to do thorough research and check available options, amenities, and reviews before making a booking, as the accommodation scene at Ambua Airstrip may vary and evolve over time.
1. Mount Hagen: Located just a short drive from Ambua Airstrip, Mount Hagen is a vibrant town known for its colorful festivals, traditional markets, and stunning mountain views. It serves as a gateway to the remote Highlands region.
2. Paiya Village: Embark on an unforgettable cultural experience by visiting Paiya Village, a traditional highland community. Here, you can witness the customs, ceremonies, and daily life of the proud Huli people.
3. Huli Wigmen: Take the opportunity to witness the Huli Wigmen, an iconic cultural display unique to Huli men of the area. These men adorn themselves with intricate headdresses made from human hair and vibrant face paint, showcasing their cultural identity.
4. Tari Basin: Known as the heartland of the Huli people, the Tari Basin is a picturesque valley characterized by its lush greenery, remote villages, and breathtaking views. Explore the natural beauty of this area through guided hikes and birdwatching expeditions.
5. Mount Giluwe: Adventure seekers can conquer the mighty Mount Giluwe, the second highest mountain in Papua New Guinea. With an elevation of 4,368 meters, this challenging climb rewards hikers with panoramic views of the surrounding landscape.
6. Lake Kutubu: Located in the Southern Highlands province, Lake Kutubu is a serene and picturesque location, home to traditional fishing communities. The lake offers visitors the chance to explore its pristine waters, spot exotic bird species, and discover endemic fish species.
7. Korowan Range: Nature enthusiasts will appreciate the rugged beauty of the Korowan Range. Trek through dense forests, across rushing rivers, and be rewarded with magnificent views of the valley below.
8. Ambua Lodge: Indulge in luxurious accommodation at Ambua Lodge, nestled amidst the sweeping hills of Tari. This eco-friendly lodge offers comfortable rooms, delicious local cuisine, and the chance to relax in the magnificent highland setting.
9. Sepik River: While not exactly near Ambua Airstrip, the Sepik River is worth mentioning due to its cultural significance and unique remote location. Embark on a river cruise to witness intricately carved wood art, traditional villages, and exceptional wildlife.
10. Karawari Lodge: Experience the wildlife and cultural diversity of Papua New Guinea by visiting Karawari Lodge. Located along the Karawari River, this lodge offers accommodation in traditional-style cottages, while providing guests with opportunities to explore remote villages, visit archaeological sites, and spot a variety of bird and animal species.
Please note that the distances provided in the answer might not accurately reflect the actual proximity of these attractions to Ambua Airstrip, as it depends on local transportation options and routes.
History of Ambua Airstrip
The Ambua Airstrip is a significant transport infrastructure located in Papua New Guinea. Built in a remote area, it serves as a vital link for residents and travelers in the Southern Highlands Province. The history of the Ambua Airstrip dates back to the early 1970s when it was constructed under the Australian government’s infrastructure development program. Its construction aimed to improve access to the region’s mountainous terrain and to facilitate the movement of people and goods.
Initially, the Ambua Airstrip was primarily used for military and emergency services operations. However, over the years, it has grown to play a vital role in facilitating trade, tourism, and local economic activities. Today, the airstrip enables small aircraft to make scheduled flights, linking Ambua and the surrounding communities to major towns and cities in Papua New Guinea.
The Ambua Airstrip’s history showcases the government’s efforts to improve connectivity and enhance the lives of those living in remote areas. By providing a means to swiftly transport passengers and cargo, the airstrip has become an integral part of the region’s infrastructure, contributing to the economic development and well-being of its inhabitants.
Other Airports in Hela, Papua New Guinea
- Agali Airstrip
- Ambua Airstrip
- Arou Airstrip
- Auwi Airstrip
- Benaria Airstrip
- Fugwa Airstrip
- Huya Airstrip
- Kelabo Airstrip
- Komo Airport
- Komo-Manda Airport
- Kopiago Airport
- Koroba Airport
- Pori Airstrip
- Tari Airport
- Yatoam Airstrip