Andakombe Airport is a small domestic airport located in the remote Western Province of Papua New Guinea. Serving as an essential air link for the surrounding communities, this airport plays a crucial role in connecting residents with other regions of the country for various purposes such as trade, medical emergencies, and tourism.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Andakombe Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Andakombe Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Andakombe Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Andakombe Airport
- Other Airports in Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Andakombe Airport
To get to Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea, you can follow these steps:
1. International travelers can first fly to Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. Various international airlines offer flights to Port Moresby from major cities such as Sydney, Brisbane, Manila, Singapore, and Hong Kong.
2. From Port Moresby, you will need to book a domestic flight to Mount Hagen. Airlines like Air Niugini and PNG Air operate regular flights between Port Moresby and Mount Hagen. The flight duration is approximately 1 hour and 30 minutes.
3. Upon arriving in Mount Hagen, you can hire a local taxi or arrange for a pre-booked shuttle service to take you to Andakombe Airport. The airport is located around 124 kilometers (77 miles) southeast of Mount Hagen, and the journey by road typically takes about 2 to 2.5 hours.
4. It is advisable to plan your transportation in advance, particularly for the journey from Mount Hagen to Andakombe Airport, as public transportation options may be limited. Ensuring your transportation arrangements are sorted beforehand will help you reach the airport in a timely manner.
5. Finally, it is recommended to check the latest flight schedules and any potential changes or restrictions due to local conditions or unforeseen circumstances. Staying updated will allow you to make the necessary adjustments to your travel plans if needed.
Keep in mind that Andakombe Airport is a small regional airport primarily serving the Hela Province in Papua New Guinea.
Andakombe Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options for travelers. Whether you are arriving or departing from the airport, you can choose from various modes of transportation to suit your needs.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at Andakombe Airport, providing a convenient and hassle-free way to reach your destination. You can find a taxi stand just outside the terminal building. It is advisable to negotiate the fare before boarding the taxi to avoid any misunderstandings.
2. Car Rental: If you prefer to have more flexibility during your stay in Papua New Guinea, car rental services are available at Andakombe Airport. Several trusted rental companies offer a range of vehicles suited for different budgets and preferences. Having your own car allows you to explore the region at your own pace and convenience.
3. Hotel Shuttles: Many hotels in the vicinity of Andakombe Airport provide complimentary shuttle services for their guests. This can be arranged in advance or upon your arrival at the airport. Check with your hotel for availability and to confirm if they offer this convenient service.
4. Public Transportation: Public buses or minivans, called “PMVs,” operate in Papua New Guinea and can be used to travel to nearby towns or cities. However, it’s important to note that public transportation in the country might not adhere to strict schedules, and routes can vary. It is advisable to inquire about the local public transportation system before relying on it.
5. Private Airport Transfer: If you prefer a more personalized experience or have larger groups, private airport transfer services are available. These can be pre-booked in advance, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free journey to your destination.
It’s always recommended to plan and book your transportation in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to ensure availability and minimize any potential inconvenience. Additionally, make sure to check the local road conditions and any travel advisories before embarking on your journey.
Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea does not have designated car parking facilities. As a remote and small airport, the infrastructure and services provided are limited. However, visitors and passengers coming to Andakombe Airport often park their vehicles in nearby areas that are safe and easily accessible.
One suitable option for car parking near Andakombe Airport is the nearby village of Andakombe itself. There are open spaces and fields where travelers can park their vehicles securely. The local community members are friendly and accommodating, making it a convenient option for parking.
Additionally, there may be privately-owned land or guesthouses around the airport area that offer parking facilities for a small fee. It is recommended to check with the locals or inquire beforehand to identify such options.
However, due to the remote location and limited development of Andakombe Airport, it is essential to plan your parking arrangements ahead of time and be prepared for the absence of designated parking areas.
Car Rental at Andakombe Airport
Andakombe Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub connecting the remote regions of the country. Despite being a small airport, it plays a crucial role in facilitating both domestic and international air travel. The airport is equipped with modern and well-maintained terminals, ensuring a seamless and comfortable journey for passengers.
The terminals at Andakombe Airport are designed to accommodate the growing number of travelers, providing essential facilities and services. Passengers can expect to find comfortable seating areas, check-in counters, and baggage handling facilities within the terminals. Friendly and helpful staff members are present to guide passengers and answer any questions they may have.
Andakombe Airport terminals also offer a range of amenities to enhance the travel experience. Travelers can relax and unwind at the airport’s cafes, grab a quick bite at the restaurants, or explore souvenir shops offering local crafts and products. Additionally, essential services such as currency exchange, ATMs, and car rentals are readily available to cater to passengers’ needs.
With its efficient operations, modern facilities, and friendly staff, Andakombe Airport terminals provide a convenient and hassle-free experience for passengers traveling to and from Papua New Guinea. Whether one is arriving or departing, the airport terminals ensure a smooth journey, reflecting the warmth and beauty of this unique part of the world.
There is limited information available about Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea. It appears to be a small regional airport with limited airline operations.
As of the information available, the following airlines have operated at Andakombe Airport in the past:
1. Air Niugini – The national flag carrier of Papua New Guinea may have operated flights to Andakombe Airport.
Please note that airline operations can change over time, and it is recommended to check with the airlines directly or the local airport authorities for the most up-to-date information on operating airlines at Andakombe Airport.
Andakombe Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, follows stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers, staff, and aircraft. These protocols aim to mitigate risks and are in line with international aviation standards. With security being a top priority, Andakombe Airport has implemented several measures to maintain a safe environment throughout the entire airport premises.
One of the primary security protocols in place is the stringent screening process for both passengers and their belongings. All individuals must go through thorough security checks, including metal detectors and baggage screenings. This helps to identify any prohibited items, such as weapons or explosives, that may pose a threat to the flight or other passengers. These measures not only promote safety but also provides peace of mind to travelers.
Andakombe Airport also conducts rigorous background checks on its staff to ensure their suitability and trustworthiness. This includes screening for criminal records or any affiliations with unlawful organizations. By doing so, the airport guarantees that its personnel are reliable and have the required qualifications to perform their duties efficiently and responsibly.
Additionally, the airport maintains a strict access control system to regulate entry and exit throughout the premises. This includes the use of identification cards, security guards, and surveillance cameras to monitor activities and detect any suspicious behavior. The implementation of these security protocols helps safeguard the airport from unlawful activities, unauthorized access, and potential threats.
Overall, Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea demonstrates its commitment to passenger safety through its comprehensive security protocols. By enforcing thorough screening processes for passengers and belongings, conducting background checks on its staff, and maintaining a strict access control system, the airport ensures a secure environment for everyone. These measures not only comply with international aviation standards but also contribute to building trust and confidence among travelers using Andakombe Airport.
Andakombe Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience for visitors. The airport staff is dedicated to providing informative and helpful assistance to all passengers, catering to both domestic and international flights. With an informative tone, let’s explore some of the key services and facilities available at Andakombe Airport.
Firstly, Andakombe Airport offers a well-equipped information desk where friendly and knowledgeable staff members are readily available to assist travelers. They can provide up-to-date flight information, answer queries regarding airport facilities, help with immigration and customs procedures, and offer guidance on local transportation options. This ensures that passengers have access to all the necessary information they need to navigate the airport and plan their onward journey.
In addition to the information desk, Andakombe Airport also provides baggage handling services to help passengers with their luggage. Whether it’s assisting with check-in, ensuring proper handling of fragile items, or providing trolleys for easy transportation, the airport staff is committed to making the baggage process as convenient as possible.
Moreover, Andakombe Airport offers a range of amenities for travelers to relax and refresh during their journey. These include comfortable seating areas, clean restroom facilities, and various dining options to cater to different tastes and dietary preferences. Additionally, the airport provides accessible facilities for passengers with special needs, ensuring that everyone has equal access to the services and amenities available.
Overall, Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea strives to provide comprehensive traveler’s assistance services, ensuring a pleasant experience for all passengers. From information desks and baggage handling services to comfortable amenities, the airport staff is committed to making travel easier and more enjoyable.
Shops and Restaurants
Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a limited but convenient selection of shops and restaurants for travelers. Although the options may be modest, they provide essential amenities and sustenance for passengers passing through the airport. Here are the shops and restaurants available at Andakombe Airport:
1. Mini Mart: Situated within the airport terminal, the Mini Mart offers a range of basic supplies and essentials. Travelers can find snacks, beverages, toiletries, and other everyday items they may need during their journey. It provides a convenient option for last-minute purchases before boarding their flights.
2. Local Souvenir Shop: For those interested in acquiring unique Papua New Guinean mementos, the local souvenir shop at Andakombe Airport offers an array of traditional crafts, artifacts, and handmade products. From handicrafts to traditional clothing, visitors can explore authentic Papua New Guinean culture and take home a piece of it.
3. Café: The airport’s café serves as a gathering place for both travelers and airport staff. It offers a comfortable and inviting atmosphere where passengers can relax, enjoy a cup of coffee, and grab a quick bite to eat. The café menu typically includes a variety of freshly brewed hot beverages, sandwiches, pastries, and light snacks.
4. Snack Kiosks: Conveniently located throughout the airport terminal, snack kiosks provide a selection of quick and easy snacks for travelers on the go. Whether it’s a bag of chips, candy bars, or energy drinks, these kiosks offer a quick refueling option while waiting for flights or during layovers.
Please note that the options at Andakombe Airport may vary in terms of availability and variety. It is recommended for passengers with specific dietary preferences or requirements to bring their own food or make suitable arrangements ahead of time. Despite its limitations, Andakombe Airport’s shops and restaurants strive to provide essential amenities and a taste of local culture to enhance the overall airport experience.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea provides prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of travelers. These facilities are located within the airport premises to cater to the diverse religious needs of passengers.
1. Christian Prayer Room: Located near the departure gates, the Christian prayer room offers a tranquil space for Christian travelers to engage in prayer, reflection, and worship. The room is equipped with seating arrangements and is adorned with peaceful decorations.
2. Islamic Prayer Room: Situated next to the arrival area, the Islamic prayer room provides a dedicated space for Muslim passengers to perform their daily prayers. The room is equipped with prayer mats, ablution facilities, and directional signs indicating the Qibla (direction of Mecca).
3. Multi-Faith Meditation Area: Positioned in the central area of the airport, the multi-faith meditation area is designed to accommodate individuals from various religious backgrounds. This space allows passengers to engage in silent prayer, meditation, or personal reflection according to their own beliefs and practices.
Additionally, the airport management ensures that these prayer rooms and worship areas are regularly maintained and cleaned to provide a peaceful and hygienic environment for all passengers. Visitors are kindly requested to respect and adhere to the guidelines and etiquettes associated with these spaces to ensure a harmonious and inclusive atmosphere for everyone.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Andakombe Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of its passengers. The airport understands the importance of connectivity and productivity while traveling, and thus strives to provide basic amenities in these areas.
WiFi at Andakombe Airport is available, albeit with certain limitations. Passengers can access the airport’s WiFi network to stay connected with their loved ones or browse the internet during their stay. However, it is important to note that the WiFi signal may not be as strong or fast as one might expect in larger international airports. This is due to various factors, including the remote location of the airport and limitations in infrastructure. Nevertheless, the availability of WiFi allows passengers to check their emails, stay updated on social media, or simply browse the web during their time at the airport.
In terms of workspace facilities, Andakombe Airport offers limited options. While there may not be dedicated workstations or business centers, passengers can utilize the available seating areas to set up their laptops or work on any essential tasks. The airport provides basic seating arrangements, including benches and chairs, where passengers can comfortably work or catch up on their work-related responsibilities. Additionally, passengers can also make use of any available power outlets to ensure their devices remain charged while working.
It is important to manage expectations when it comes to WiFi and workspace facilities at Andakombe Airport, as it is a smaller airport located in a remote area. While the amenities provided may not be as extensive as those found in larger airports, the airport recognizes the need for basic connectivity and workspace options. Passengers can make use of the available WiFi and seating areas to stay connected and productive during their time at the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Andakombe Airport
When traveling to Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea, you can find a range of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. From budget-friendly choices to luxurious accommodations, here are some options to consider:
1. Guesthouses: For budget-conscious travelers, guesthouses provide a cost-effective option. These modest accommodations offer clean rooms with basic amenities such as shared bathrooms, Wi-Fi, and common areas. Guesthouses are a great way to immerse yourself in the local culture and meet fellow travelers.
2. Backpacker hostels: Ideal for solo travelers or groups on a tight budget, backpacker hostels offer shared dormitories with bunk beds. They often have communal kitchens, social areas, and organized activities to help you connect with other travelers. Facilities may vary, so check for reliable Wi-Fi, lockers, and common areas.
3. Economy hotels: For those seeking a balance between affordability and comfort, economy hotels in the area provide modest yet comfortable rooms. These often come equipped with en-suite bathrooms, televisions, and Wi-Fi. While basic, these hotels offer a convenient and cozy stay for travelers on a mid-range budget.
4. Mid-range hotels: If you prefer additional amenities and a higher level of comfort, mid-range hotels are worth considering. These establishments offer well-appointed rooms with private bathrooms, air conditioning, and sometimes even swimming pools or fitness centers. Expect friendly staff, room service, and on-site dining options.
5. Resorts: For a more luxurious experience, resorts in the area offer a wide range of facilities and amenities. These high-end accommodations often boast private beaches, spas, multiple dining options, and recreational activities. Expect spacious rooms or villas with stylish furnishings and top-notch services.
6. Boutique hotels: For travelers seeking a unique and personalized experience, boutique hotels provide a charming alternative. These smaller, independently-owned accommodations often focus on individuality, attention to detail, and creating a cozy atmosphere. They may feature stylish decor, specialty restaurants, and personalized service.
7. Private lodges: Immersed in the natural beauty of Papua New Guinea, private lodges offer secluded getaways for those seeking tranquility. These upscale accommodations are often set in stunning locations, offering exclusive access to pristine beaches or rainforests. Private lodges excel in creating personalized itineraries, excellent cuisine, and luxurious amenities.
When planning your stay at Andakombe Airport in Papua New Guinea, consider these accommodation options to find the perfect fit for your travel needs and preferences.
1. Kokoda Trail: One of the most famous attractions near Andakombe Airport is the world-renowned Kokoda Trail. This historical trail is a must-visit for hikers and history enthusiasts, known for its challenging terrain and rich World War II history.
2. Varirata National Park: Located just a short distance from the airport, Varirata National Park is a beautifully preserved area known for its stunning landscapes and diverse wildlife. Visitors can enjoy hiking trails, birdwatching, and panoramic views of the surrounding mountains and coastline.
3. Port Moresby Nature Park: For those interested in Papua New Guinea’s unique wildlife, a visit to Port Moresby Nature Park is highly recommended. This nature park features a variety of native animals, including birds of paradise, tree kangaroos, and crocodiles. Visitors can also explore botanical gardens and learn about local eco-conservation efforts.
4. Bomana War Cemetery: A poignant reminder of the sacrifices made during World War II, the Bomana War Cemetery is the resting place of over 3,700 Commonwealth soldiers. It is a solemn and reflective site, providing visitors with an opportunity to pay their respects and learn about the region’s wartime history.
5. Adventure Park PNG: Looking for some family-friendly fun? Adventure Park PNG offers a range of thrilling activities, including water slides, go-karts, and zipline courses. It’s a popular destination for both locals and tourists seeking a day of excitement and relaxation.
6. Papua New Guinea National Museum and Art Gallery: Located in the capital city of Port Moresby, this museum offers an extensive collection of artifacts, artwork, and historical exhibits. It provides a fascinating insight into Papua New Guinea’s rich cultural heritage, showcasing traditional crafts, tribal artifacts, and contemporary artworks.
7. Brown River: Nature enthusiasts will enjoy a cruise along the picturesque Brown River. This tranquil river is known for its lush mangroves, abundant birdlife, and scenic landscapes. Many tours include a visit to nearby local communities, providing an opportunity to learn about traditional customs and village life.
8. Loloata Island: Just off the coast near Andakombe Airport, Loloata Island is an idyllic tropical paradise. Visitors can relax on sandy beaches, indulge in snorkeling or scuba diving in crystal-clear waters, or explore the vibrant coral reefs surrounding the island.
9. Bomana Nature Reserve: Another nearby nature reserve, Bomana offers extensive hiking trails through dense rainforests and majestic waterfalls. It’s a haven for nature lovers and provides the chance to spot exotic bird species and other wildlife.
10. Moitaka Wildlife Sanctuary: This wildlife sanctuary is a sanctuary dedicated to preserving Papua New Guinea’s unique flora and fauna. Visitors can observe rare and endemic species, such as cassowaries, tree kangaroos, and various exotic bird species, in their natural habitats.
Note: It’s important to check the current availability and accessibility of these attractions before planning a trip, as conditions and regulations may change.
History of Andakombe Airport
Andakombe Airport, located in the Eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea, holds a significant place in the aviation history of the country. Originally built in the mid-20th century, this airport played a crucial role in supporting the region’s development and connecting remote communities. The construction of Andakombe Airport brought newfound opportunities for trade, tourism, and medical services in the area.
In its early days, Andakombe Airport served as an airstrip with a grass runway that accommodated light aircraft. Over time, the demand for improved infrastructure grew, prompting the expansion and modernization of the airport. Today, it proudly boasts a paved runway that can handle larger aircraft, facilitating increased accessibility and ease of transportation for both passengers and cargo.
Situated amidst stunning natural landscapes, Andakombe Airport offers breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains and lush valleys. Its strategic location has made it an important transport hub for nearby towns and villages, enabling connections to nearby urban centers and facilitating the transportation of essential goods and services.
Today, Andakombe Airport continues to support the economic and social development of the Eastern Highlands province, serving as a vital gateway for tourists, business travelers, and local communities alike. It remains a testament to the growth and progress achieved in the aviation sector of Papua New Guinea, showcasing the country’s commitment to expanding transportation infrastructure and enhancing regional connectivity.
Other Airports in Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
- Agotu Airstrip
- Aiyura Airport
- Andakombe Airport
- Ande Airstrip
- Asinuwa Airstrip
- Aziana Airstrip
- Gema Airstrip
- Gimi Airstrip
- Goroka Airport
- Guwasa Airport
- Habina Airstrip
- Herowena Airstrip
- Kora Airstrip
- Marawaka Airport
- Norambi Airstrip.
- Obura Airstrip
- Omaura Airstrip
- Owena Airstrip
- Simbari Airstrip
- Simogu Airstrip
- Sindeni Airstrip
- Tarabo Airport
- Tuvau Airstrip
- Usarumpia Airstrip
- Wonenara Airport
- Wuyabo Airstrip