Bahrain International Airport is the main airport of the Kingdom of Bahrain, located on Muharraq Island. It serves as a hub for Gulf Air and is a major gateway to the Middle East, connecting Bahrain to destinations across the world.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Bahrain International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Bahrain International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Bahrain International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Bahrain International Airport
- Other Airports in Muharraq Governorate, Bahrain
How to Get to Bahrain International Airport
Bahrain International Airport is located on Muharraq Island, approximately 7 kilometers northeast of the capital city of Manama. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
Taxis are readily available throughout Bahrain and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance. The journey from Manama to the airport takes around 10-15 minutes and costs approximately BD 5-7. Taxis are a convenient option for those traveling with luggage or in a group.
Buses are also available from various locations in Bahrain, including Manama, Muharraq, and Isa Town. The airport bus service is operated by the Bahrain Public Transport Company and runs every 30 minutes. The fare is BD 0.3 and the journey takes around 20-30 minutes.
For those driving to the airport, there is ample parking available in the airport’s multi-story car park. The car park is located directly opposite the terminal building and offers both short-term and long-term parking options. The airport is easily accessible from the main highways in Bahrain, including the Sheikh Khalifa Bin Salman Highway and the King Fahd Causeway.
Bahrain International Airport offers a variety of transportation options to suit the needs of travelers. Here are some of the options available:
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The fare is metered and varies depending on the distance traveled.
2. Car rental: Several car rental companies have offices at the airport, making it easy to rent a car and explore Bahrain at your own pace.
3. Public transportation: The Bahrain Public Transport Company operates buses that connect the airport to various parts of the city. The buses are air-conditioned and offer a cost-effective way to travel.
4. Hotel shuttle: Many hotels in Bahrain offer shuttle services to and from the airport. Check with your hotel to see if they offer this service.
5. Private transfer: Private transfer services are available for those who prefer a more personalized and comfortable mode of transportation. These services can be booked in advance and offer door-to-door service.
No matter which transportation option you choose, Bahrain International Airport has you covered with a range of choices to suit your needs and budget.
Bahrain International Airport offers a variety of car parking options for travelers. Here are the different types of car parking and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The first 30 minutes of parking are free, and the rates increase for longer stays.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates are more affordable than short-term parking, and there is a shuttle service available to transport passengers to and from the terminal.
3. Premium parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and offers the most convenient parking option for travelers. The rates are higher than other parking options, but the convenience is worth it for those who want to save time and avoid walking long distances.
4. Valet parking: This service is available for travelers who want the ultimate convenience. A valet attendant will park your car for you and bring it back to you when you return. The valet parking area is located in front of the terminal building.
Overall, Bahrain International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need short-term or long-term parking, or want the ultimate convenience of valet parking, there is an option available for you.
Car Rental at Bahrain International Airport
- Avis Bahrain
- Budget Bahrain
- Europcar Bahrain
- Hertz Bahrain
- Thrifty Bahrain
Bahrain International Airport is the main airport in the Kingdom of Bahrain and serves as a hub for Gulf Air. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are located approximately 500 meters apart.
Terminal 1 is the main terminal and is used for all international flights. It has 24 gates and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and prayer rooms. The terminal also has a VIP lounge for premium passengers and a business center for those who need to work while waiting for their flights.
Terminal 2 is used for domestic flights and flights to neighboring countries in the Gulf region. It has six gates and is also equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and prayer rooms. The terminal is smaller than Terminal 1 but still provides a comfortable and convenient experience for passengers.
Both terminals are connected by a shuttle bus service that runs every 10 minutes, making it easy for passengers to transfer between terminals. The airport also provides a range of services such as baggage storage, currency exchange, and car rental facilities. Overall, Bahrain International Airport’s terminals provide a modern and efficient travel experience for passengers.
1. Gulf Air
2. Bahrain Air
4. Etihad Airways
5. Qatar Airways
6. Turkish Airlines
7. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
8. Air Arabia
10. Oman Air
11. Saudi Arabian Airlines
12. SriLankan Airlines
13. British Airways
15. Kuwait Airways
17. Royal Jordanian
18. Air India Express
19. Pegasus Airlines
20. Jazeera Airways
22. Ethiopian Airlines
23. Pakistan International Airlines
24. Thai Airways
25. Cathay Pacific Airways
26. Philippine Airlines
27. Air France
28. Swiss International Air Lines
29. Royal Brunei Airlines
30. China Southern Airlines.
Bahrain International Airport is one of the busiest airports in the Middle East, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure the safety and security of all passengers, the airport has implemented strict security protocols.
The airport has a comprehensive security system that includes advanced technology and highly trained security personnel. The security system includes CCTV cameras, metal detectors, X-ray machines, and explosive detection systems. All passengers and their luggage are screened thoroughly before boarding their flights.
In addition to the security measures, the airport has a team of security personnel who are trained to handle any security threats. The security team is equipped with the latest technology and equipment to detect and respond to any potential threats. The airport also has a dedicated emergency response team that is available 24/7 to respond to any security incidents.
Overall, Bahrain International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. The airport’s security protocols are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure they are in line with international standards and best practices. Passengers can feel confident that they are in safe hands when travelling through Bahrain International Airport.
Bahrain International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for all passengers. These services include wheelchair assistance, baggage handling, and special assistance for passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility.
Passengers can request wheelchair assistance at the time of booking or upon arrival at the airport. Trained staff will assist passengers with mobility issues to navigate the airport, including check-in, security, and boarding. The airport also provides baggage handling services, including porter services, to help passengers with their luggage.
For passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility, Bahrain International Airport offers a range of special assistance services. These include dedicated parking spaces, accessible toilets, and special assistance during the boarding process. The airport also provides special assistance for passengers with hearing or visual impairments.
Overall, Bahrain International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for all passengers. The airport’s trained staff are committed to ensuring that every passenger receives the assistance they need to navigate the airport and reach their destination safely and comfortably.
Shops and Restaurants
Bahrain International Airport offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Here are some of the popular ones:
1. Bahrain Duty-Free: This is the largest duty-free shop in the airport, offering a variety of products such as perfumes, cosmetics, electronics, and souvenirs.
2. Al Muharraq Souq: This is a traditional Bahraini market that sells local handicrafts, textiles, and spices.
3. WHSmith: This is a popular bookstore chain that offers a range of books, magazines, and newspapers.
4. Sunglass Hut: This shop offers a variety of sunglasses from popular brands such as Ray-Ban, Oakley, and Prada.
5. Swarovski: This shop offers a range of crystal jewelry, accessories, and home decor items.
1. Starbucks: This popular coffee chain offers a range of coffee, tea, and snacks.
2. Costa Coffee: This is another popular coffee chain that offers a range of coffee, tea, and sandwiches.
3. Burger King: This fast-food chain offers a range of burgers, fries, and soft drinks.
4. Cinnabon: This bakery chain offers a range of cinnamon rolls, pastries, and coffee.
5. Le Pain Quotidien: This bakery and cafe chain offers a range of bread, pastries, and sandwiches.
Overall, Bahrain International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers, whether they are looking for souvenirs, snacks, or a quick meal.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Bahrain International Airport offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of its passengers. These areas are located in various parts of the airport and are easily accessible to all travelers. Here are the details of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Bahrain International Airport:
1. Islamic Prayer Rooms: There are several Islamic prayer rooms located throughout the airport. These rooms are equipped with prayer mats, copies of the Quran, and ablution facilities. The prayer rooms are located in the Departures area, near Gates 16 and 17, and in the Arrivals area, near the baggage claim area.
2. Christian Chapel: The Christian Chapel is located in the Departures area, near Gate 16. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with a cross, a Bible, and a prayer altar.
3. Hindu Prayer Room: The Hindu Prayer Room is located in the Departures area, near Gate 16. It is equipped with prayer mats and a statue of Lord Ganesha.
4. Sikh Prayer Room: The Sikh Prayer Room is located in the Departures area, near Gate 16. It is equipped with prayer mats and a copy of the Guru Granth Sahib.
5. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: The Multi-Faith Prayer Room is located in the Departures area, near Gate 16. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and a prayer altar.
In conclusion, Bahrain International Airport offers a range of prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers of different faiths. These areas are conveniently located throughout the airport and are equipped with all the necessary facilities to ensure a comfortable and peaceful prayer experience.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Bahrain International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building. Passengers can connect to the network by selecting “Bahrain Airport Free WiFi” and following the instructions on the login page.
Workspace: For passengers who need to work or study, the airport offers several options for workspace. The airport’s lounges provide comfortable seating, work desks, and power outlets for charging devices. The lounges also offer complimentary refreshments and snacks.
In addition, the airport has a business center located in the Departures area. The center provides private workstations, printing and scanning services, and high-speed internet access. The center is open 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and is available to all passengers for a fee.
For those who prefer to work in a more relaxed setting, the airport has several cafes and restaurants that offer free WiFi and comfortable seating. These areas are perfect for catching up on emails or finishing up work before a flight.
Overall, Bahrain International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
Bahrain International Airport offers a variety of lounges for travelers looking to relax or work in a comfortable and convenient setting. Below are the lounges available and their locations:
- Marhaba Lounge: Located in the south side of the departure hall, near gate 10
- Al Safwa Lounge: Located in the east side of the departure hall, near gate 25
- Al Dana Lounge: Located in the east side of the departure hall, near gate 30
- Marhaba Plus Lounge: Located in the south side of the departure hall, near gate 15
- Al Muharraq Lounge: Located in the east side of the departure hall, near gate 35
- Gulf Air Falcon Lounge: Located in the east side of the departure hall, near gate 40
Accomodation Options Nearby Bahrain International Airport
Bahrain International Airport offers a wide range of accommodation options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are on a budget or seeking luxury, there is an accommodation option for everyone. Let’s explore the varied options available at Bahrain International Airport:
1. Sleeping pods/capsules: For budget-conscious travelers or those with short layovers, sleeping pods or capsules provide a practical and cost-effective solution. These compact units offer a comfortable bed, a power outlet, and secure storage for your belongings.
2. Transit hotels: Designed specifically for transit passengers, transit hotels offer convenient locations within the airport terminals. Combining comfort and convenience, these hotels provide a temporary respite for tired travelers. They typically offer clean rooms, essential amenities, and Internet access.
3. Airport lounges: Airport lounges are an excellent option for those seeking a relaxing atmosphere during their layovers. These exclusive areas offer comfortable seating, complimentary refreshments, Wi-Fi access, and shower facilities. They are available for passengers flying with specific airlines or members of lounge programs.
4. Economy hotels: Located in close proximity to Bahrain International Airport, economy hotels provide affordable accommodation without sacrificing comfort. These hotels often offer well-appointed rooms, basic amenities, and complimentary breakfast. They can be a suitable choice for those with longer layovers.
5. Mid-range hotels: For travelers seeking a balance between affordability and quality, mid-range hotels around the airport provide comfortable lodging options. These hotels offer a broader range of amenities, including fitness centers, restaurants, and shuttle services to the airport.
6. Boutique hotels: Ideal for those who appreciate unique and personalized accommodation experiences, boutique hotels near the airport combine luxury with distinctive design. These hotels often boast stylish decor, upscale amenities, and personalized services, allowing guests to unwind in a sophisticated setting.
7. 5-star luxury hotels: If indulgence and opulence are your preferences, 5-star luxury hotels neighboring the airport will cater to your every need. These hotels boast extensive facilities like spa and wellness centers, gourmet restaurants, and well-appointed suites. They offer a premium travel experience, ensuring utmost comfort and luxury.
It is important to note that availability, pricing, and specific accommodations may vary over time. Hence, it is advisable to check with the airport’s official website or contact the accommodation providers directly for the most up-to-date information and reservations.
1. Bahrain National Museum: Located just a short drive from Bahrain International Airport, the Bahrain National Museum is a must-visit attraction for history and culture enthusiasts. The museum showcases the rich heritage and archaeological treasures of Bahrain, providing an insightful journey through time.
2. Al Fateh Grand Mosque: Known as one of the largest mosques in the world, Al Fateh Grand Mosque is an architectural marvel and a significant religious landmark in Bahrain. Visitors can explore the stunning interior, adorned with exquisite chandeliers and intricate artworks.
3. Bahrain International Circuit: Motorsport lovers can indulge their passion at the Bahrain International Circuit, which hosts the annual Formula One Bahrain Grand Prix. Besides the track, you can also visit the circuit’s museum and experience high-speed thrills with karting or racing simulators.
4. Qal’at al-Bahrain: This ancient fort and UNESCO World Heritage Site is an impressive archaeological complex located just a short distance from Bahrain International Airport. Qal’at al-Bahrain is rich in history and offers stunning views of the surrounding area.
5. Bab Al Bahrain: Located in the heart of Manama, Bab Al Bahrain is a historical gateway that marks the entrance to the capital city’s old market. It is a popular meeting point and a symbol of Manama’s heritage, showcasing stunning Arabic architecture and vibrant marketplaces.
6. Bahrain National Theatre: If you appreciate the performing arts, the Bahrain National Theatre is a fantastic destination. This state-of-the-art theatre hosts various cultural events, including music concerts, theater plays, and ballet performances.
7. Wahooo! Waterpark: Families and thrill-seekers will love the Wahooo! Waterpark, an exhilarating destination located within the City Centre Bahrain shopping mall. The park offers exciting water slides, wave pools, and a lazy river, making it the perfect place to beat the heat.
8. Adhari Park: For a fun-filled day out, visit Adhari Park, a family-friendly amusement park situated near Bahrain International Airport. With a wide range of thrilling rides, bumper cars, mini golf, and delicious dining options, this park guarantees a memorable experience.
9. Manama Souq: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Manama Souq, a traditional Bahraini market offering a vast array of goods, including spices, textiles, jewelry, and souvenirs. Stroll through the narrow alleys, soak up the local culture, and enjoy delicious street food.
10. Bahrain Financial Harbour: Marvel at the architectural brilliance of Bahrain Financial Harbour, a modern development that combines residential, commercial, and business facilities. Enjoy a picturesque waterfront, fine dining options, and a skyline dotted with elegant skyscrapers, making it perfect for a leisurely walk or evening stroll.
History of Bahrain International Airport
Bahrain International Airport is the main airport of the Kingdom of Bahrain and is located on Muharraq Island, approximately 7 km northeast of the capital city of Manama. The airport was first opened in 1932 as a small airfield for commercial and military purposes. It was later expanded in the 1940s and 1950s to accommodate larger aircraft and more passengers.
In the 1970s, the airport underwent a major renovation and expansion project, which included the construction of a new terminal building and runway. The new terminal building was designed by the famous British architect, Sir Frederick Gibberd, and was opened in 1971. The airport continued to grow and expand throughout the 1980s and 1990s, with the addition of new airlines and destinations.
In 2008, a new state-of-the-art terminal building was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity to 14 million passengers per year. The new terminal features modern facilities and amenities, including duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and a business center. Today, Bahrain International Airport is a major hub for the Middle East, serving over 100 destinations worldwide and handling millions of passengers each year.
Other Airports in Muharraq Governorate, Bahrain