Banjul International Airport is the main airport of The Gambia, located in the capital city of Banjul. It serves as a gateway to the country for international travelers and is a hub for domestic flights within The Gambia. The airport has a single terminal building and offers a range of facilities for passengers.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Banjul International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Banjul International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Banjul International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Banjul International Airport
- Other Airports in Western Division, Gambia
How to Get to Banjul International Airport
Banjul International Airport is the main airport in The Gambia and is located approximately 25 kilometers from the capital city of Banjul. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, private car, or public transportation.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to negotiate the fare before getting in the car. The average cost of a taxi ride from Banjul to the airport is around 500 Gambian dalasis (GMD), which is equivalent to approximately $10 USD. Taxis can be found throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked through a hotel or taxi company.
Private cars can also be hired to take you to the airport. This option is more expensive than a taxi, but it offers more comfort and convenience. Private car services can be booked through hotels or car rental companies.
Public transportation is the cheapest option for getting to the airport, but it can be crowded and uncomfortable. The most common form of public transportation in The Gambia is the minibus, which can be found at various locations throughout the city. The cost of a minibus ride to the airport is around 25 GMD, which is equivalent to approximately $0.50 USD.
Overall, getting to Banjul International Airport is relatively easy and can be done by taxi, private car, or public transportation. It is recommended to plan ahead and book your transportation in advance to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey.
Banjul International Airport is the main airport serving the Gambia, located in Yundum, about 25 km from the capital city of Banjul. There are several transportation options available for travelers arriving at the airport.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal building. They are the most convenient and popular mode of transportation for travelers. The fares are negotiable, and it is advisable to agree on the fare before starting the journey.
2. Car rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, offering a range of vehicles to suit different budgets and needs. It is advisable to book in advance to avoid any inconvenience.
3. Shuttle buses: Some hotels and resorts offer shuttle services to and from the airport. It is advisable to check with your hotel or resort if they offer such services.
4. Public transport: Public transport is available outside the airport, but it is not recommended for tourists as it can be crowded and uncomfortable.
5. Private transfers: Private transfer services are available, which offer a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services can be booked in advance and are ideal for families or groups.
In conclusion, Banjul International Airport offers several transportation options for travelers arriving in the Gambia. Taxis, car rentals, shuttle buses, private transfers, and public transport are all available. It is advisable to choose the mode of transportation that suits your needs and budget.
Banjul International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are charged hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are charged daily.
3. Valet parking: This service is available for travelers who prefer the convenience of having their car parked for them. The valet parking area is located in front of the terminal building, and the rates are charged hourly.
4. Disabled parking: Banjul International Airport offers designated parking spaces for travelers with disabilities. These spaces are located in the short-term parking area and are available at no additional cost.
Overall, Banjul International Airport provides a range of parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short or long period of time, or require special assistance, the airport has you covered.
Car Rental at Banjul International Airport
Banjul International Airport is the main airport in The Gambia, located in the capital city of Banjul. The airport has two terminals, one for international flights and the other for domestic flights. The international terminal is the larger of the two and handles flights from various airlines such as British Airways, Brussels Airlines, and Turkish Airlines. The terminal has several check-in counters, immigration and customs facilities, duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
The domestic terminal is smaller and handles flights to and from other cities in The Gambia. The terminal has a few check-in counters, a waiting area, and a small café. The domestic terminal is located adjacent to the international terminal, making it easy for passengers to transfer between the two terminals.
Both terminals at Banjul International Airport are modern and well-maintained, providing passengers with a comfortable and efficient travel experience. The airport has a good reputation for its friendly staff, efficient check-in process, and on-time departures. Overall, Banjul International Airport is a great gateway to The Gambia, providing passengers with a smooth and hassle-free travel experience.
1. Air Peace
2. Arik Air
3. ASKY Airlines
4. Brussels Airlines
5. Gambia Bird
6. Royal Air Maroc
7. Senegal Airlines
8. Turkish Airlines
9. TUI Airways
10. Vueling Airlines
Banjul International Airport is the main airport in The Gambia and serves as a gateway to the country for many international travelers. As such, the airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
All passengers are required to go through security screening before entering the departure area. This includes passing through metal detectors and having their carry-on luggage scanned. Any prohibited items, such as weapons or liquids over 100ml, will be confiscated.
In addition to these standard security measures, Banjul International Airport also has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport and its surroundings. They are responsible for ensuring that all areas of the airport are secure and that any suspicious activity is reported and investigated.
Overall, Banjul International Airport takes security very seriously and is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff. Travelers can rest assured that they are in good hands when passing through this airport.
Banjul International Airport is the main airport in The Gambia, located in the capital city of Banjul. The airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs clearance.
Baggage handling services are available to help passengers with their luggage from check-in to their final destination. The airport also provides wheelchair assistance for passengers with reduced mobility, ensuring they can navigate the airport with ease. Immigration and customs clearance services are also available to help passengers with the necessary paperwork and procedures.
In addition to these services, Banjul International Airport also has a range of facilities to make the travel experience more comfortable. These include restaurants, cafes, and shops, as well as currency exchange and ATM services. The airport also has a VIP lounge for passengers who require a more exclusive and comfortable experience.
Overall, Banjul International Airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for passengers. From baggage handling to immigration and customs clearance, the airport has everything needed to make the journey as stress-free as possible.
Shops and Restaurants
Banjul International Airport is the main airport in The Gambia, located in the capital city of Banjul. The airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy before their flights.
1. Duty-Free Shop – offers a wide range of tax-free products including perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco.
2. Souvenir Shop – sells traditional Gambian handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
3. Newsstand – offers newspapers, magazines, and books for travelers to read during their flight.
4. Convenience Store – sells snacks, drinks, and travel essentials such as toiletries and electronics.
1. Café – serves a variety of hot and cold beverages, sandwiches, and pastries.
2. Restaurant – offers a selection of local and international dishes for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.
3. Bar – serves alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as light snacks.
4. Fast Food Outlet – offers quick and easy meals such as burgers, fries, and chicken.
Overall, Banjul International Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options for travelers to enjoy before their flights.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Banjul International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the baggage claim area. This prayer room is exclusively for Muslims and is equipped with prayer mats, Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Christian Chapel – located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departure gates. This chapel is open to all Christians and is equipped with a cross, altar, and seating area.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departure gates. This prayer room is open to people of all faiths and is equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and seating area.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are accessible to passengers and visitors free of charge. They provide a peaceful and quiet space for people to pray, meditate, or reflect before their flight.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Banjul International Airport offers WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access to all passengers. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flights.
Workspace: The airport has a designated workspace area where passengers can work in a quiet and comfortable environment. The workspace is equipped with desks, chairs, and power outlets, making it easy for passengers to charge their devices and work on their laptops.
In addition to the workspace area, the airport also has several cafes and restaurants that offer comfortable seating and free WiFi access. These areas are perfect for passengers who want to grab a bite to eat while catching up on work or browsing the internet.
Overall, Banjul International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a productive and enjoyable experience while waiting for their flights.
Banjul International Airport has several lounges that provide passengers with comfortable and luxurious seating, complimentary amenities, and a selection of food and drinks.
- The Golden Lounge – located in the Departures area
- The Coffee Bar – located in the Arrivals area
- The VIP Lounge – located in the International Departures area
- The Business Lounge – located in the International Departures area
- The Executive Lounge – located in the International Departures area
Accomodation Options Nearby Banjul International Airport
1. Airport Lounge:
Banjul International Airport offers a comfortable lounge area where travelers can relax and freshen up before or after their flights. The lounge provides comfortable seating, Wi-Fi access, charging ports for electronic devices, and complimentary refreshments. This budget-friendly option is perfect for those seeking a short and comfortable stay.
2. Transit Hotels:
For travelers with longer layovers or overnight stays, Banjul International Airport offers transit hotels within the airport premises. These hotels provide convenient accommodations for passengers who prefer to stay close to the airport. Although more affordable, these transit hotels still offer basic amenities, comfortable beds, and private bathrooms, ensuring a satisfactory stay without breaking the bank.
3. Nearby Budget Hotels:
In close proximity to the airport, several budget-friendly hotels offer comfortable and affordable accommodations. These hotels often provide well-appointed rooms, basic amenities, free Wi-Fi, and breakfast options. Many of these budget hotels also offer airport shuttle services, making your transit to and from Banjul International Airport hassle-free.
4. Mid-range Hotels:
Catering to both business and leisure travelers, mid-range hotels near Banjul International Airport offer more extensive amenities, such as fitness centers, swimming pools, on-site restaurants, and room service. These hotels often feature modern decor, spacious rooms, satellite TV, and complimentary toiletries. Ideal for a longer stay or those seeking enhanced comfort, mid-range hotels strike a great balance between affordability and convenience.
5. Luxury Hotels:
For discerning travelers seeking a premium stay experience, luxury hotels in the vicinity of Banjul International Airport offer world-class services and opulent accommodations. These high-end hotels boast elegant decor, spacious suites with stunning views, well-appointed spas, fitness centers, and gourmet restaurants. Additionally, guests may enjoy premium amenities like private pools, exclusive lounges, and personalized concierge services, ensuring a truly luxurious stay.
Please note that accommodation options near Banjul International Airport may vary, and it is recommended to research and book in advance to secure the best deal based on your preferences and budget.
1. Arch 22: Located in the heart of Banjul, the Arch 22 is a towering landmark that offers breathtaking panoramic views of the city. It also houses a museum highlighting the history and culture of The Gambia.
2. National Museum: Immersed in the rich history of the country, the National Museum showcases a diverse collection of artifacts, traditional crafts, and photographs that shed light on the vibrant cultural heritage of The Gambia.
3. Albert Market: A bustling and vibrant local marketplace, the Albert Market is a perfect spot to experience the daily life of Banjul residents. You’ll find a wide array of goods, including textiles, jewelry, fresh produce, and authentic Gambian crafts.
4. Makasutu Cultural Forest: Just a short drive from the airport, the Makasutu Cultural Forest is a haven for nature enthusiasts. Take a boat ride along the tranquil Mandina Bolong River, explore the lush mangroves, and encounter various species of birds and wildlife.
5. Abuko Nature Reserve: A wildlife sanctuary located close to Banjul, Abuko Nature Reserve is a must-visit for nature lovers. Take a guided walk among the lush vegetation and catch glimpses of monkeys, crocodiles, birds, and other fascinating creatures.
6. Kachikally Crocodile Pool: Situated in Bakau, a nearby town, the Kachikally Crocodile Pool is both a sacred site and a tourist attraction. Marvel at the majestic crocodiles, believed to possess special powers, and learn about the cultural significance attributed to them by the local community.
7. Bijilo Forest Park: Only a short distance away from Banjul, Bijilo Forest Park is a small but captivating nature reserve. Take a stroll along its well-maintained trails, spot an array of bird species, and observe playful vervet monkeys swinging through the trees.
8. Snake Farm: Located in Kartong, the Snake Farm offers visitors a unique opportunity to learn about various snake species present in The Gambia. Witness thrilling snake handling demonstrations and gain insight into the important conservation work being carried out in the area.
9. Cape Point Beach: For those seeking a relaxing beach experience near Banjul, Cape Point Beach is an ideal destination. With serene turquoise waters, golden sands, and a laid-back atmosphere, it’s perfect for swimming, picnicking, or simply enjoying the sun.
10. Tanji Fishing Village: Experience the vibrant local fishing industry at Tanji Fishing Village, a lively coastal settlement situated near Banjul. Witness the traditional and colorful process of drying and smoking fish, and absorb the lively atmosphere as fishermen bring in their nets full of fresh catch.
Note: Please ensure to check for any travel advisories or restrictions before visiting these attractions, as circumstances may change.
History of Banjul International Airport
Banjul International Airport, also known as Yundum International Airport, is the main airport of The Gambia. The airport is located in Yundum, about 24 kilometers from the capital city of Banjul. The airport was originally built in the 1940s by the British colonial government and was used as a military airfield during World War II. After the war, the airport was converted into a civilian airport and was officially opened in 1947.
Over the years, Banjul International Airport has undergone several upgrades and expansions to meet the growing demand for air travel in The Gambia. In 1963, a new terminal building was constructed, and in 1984, a new runway was built to accommodate larger aircraft. In 2018, the airport underwent a major renovation, which included the construction of a new terminal building, a new control tower, and the expansion of the runway.
Today, Banjul International Airport serves as a hub for several airlines, including Gambia Bird, Royal Air Maroc, and Brussels Airlines. The airport handles over 400,000 passengers annually and is an important gateway to West Africa. Despite its relatively small size, Banjul International Airport has played a significant role in the development of The Gambia’s tourism industry and has helped to connect the country to the rest of the world.
Other Airports in Western Division, Gambia