The Basikuna Airstrip is a small airfield located in the rugged terrain of Papua New Guinea. Serving as a lifeline for remote communities, it provides crucial air connections to areas that are inaccessible by road, facilitating the transport of essential supplies and medical assistance.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Basikuna Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Basikuna Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Basikuna Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Basikuna Airstrip
- Other Airports in Bougainville (North Solomons), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Basikuna Airstrip
To reach Basikuna Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, follow these steps:
1. International travelers: First, fly into Jacksons International Airport in Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. Many international airlines offer flights to this airport.
2. Domestic flight: Take a domestic flight from Port Moresby to Goroka Airport. Several airlines provide this service, including Air Niugini and PNG Air. The flight duration is approximately 1 hour.
3. Land transportation: From Goroka Airport, hire a four-wheel-drive vehicle or organize a prearranged transfer to take you to the Goroka town center. The journey should take around 30 minutes.
4. Goroka to Basikuna: From Goroka town center, you’ll need to arrange a charter flight with Trans Niugini Airways to Basikuna Airstrip. Trans Niugini Airways offer flights between Goroka and Basikuna, but their schedule may vary, so booking in advance is essential. The flight duration is approximately 20 minutes, but it could change due to weather conditions or other factors.
5. Arrival at Basikuna: Once you reach Basikuna Airstrip, you will need to arrange ground transportation or inform your accommodation to send a vehicle to pick you up. Local lodges and tour operators are familiar with the airstrip and can assist in coordinating transportation to your final destination.
Please note that ensuring your travel plans are well-organized and coordinating in advance with local service providers will help ensure a smooth journey to Basikuna Airstrip in Papua New Guinea.
Basikuna Airstrip, located in the Eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea, serves as a crucial transportation hub for the local community. Although it is a relatively small airstrip, it provides essential connectivity options for travelers in the surrounding areas. Here are the transportation options available at Basikuna Airstrip:
1. Domestic Flights: Basikuna Airstrip is primarily serviced by domestic airlines that operate regular flights to and from other major airports in Papua New Guinea. These flights offer passengers a convenient and time-efficient mode of transportation to various destinations across the country.
2. Helicopter Services: In addition to fixed-wing aircraft, helicopters also offer transportation services from Basikuna Airstrip. Helicopter charters can be arranged for specific destinations or for aerial tours, providing a unique and scenic mode of travel.
3. Private Charters: Travelers who prefer personalized services or have specific travel requirements can opt for private charters. Private charter companies offer flexible arrangements, allowing individuals or groups to customize their itineraries according to their needs.
4. Ground Transportation: Ground transportation options from Basikuna Airstrip mainly consist of road connections. Local taxis, buses, or privately hired vehicles provide convenient transport to and from nearby towns or villages. It is advisable to book or arrange ground transportation in advance to ensure a smooth journey.
5. Local Transport Services: For shorter distances within the local area, locals often rely on alternative means of transportation, such as bicycles or walking. These options are preferable when traveling short distances or exploring the immediate vicinity of Basikuna Airstrip.
It is important to note that the availability and frequency of these transportation options may vary, so it is advisable to check schedules and make necessary arrangements in advance. Basikuna Airstrip continues to play a significant role in connecting the Eastern Highlands province with the rest of Papua New Guinea, offering multiple transportation alternatives to cater to diverse travel needs.
Basikuna Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Situated in the Basikuna Village, the airstrip serves as an essential transportation hub for the local community as well as visitors to the region.
As Basikuna Airstrip is primarily used for light aircraft, it does not feature dedicated car parking facilities. However, visitors traveling by car can usually find suitable parking options nearby, including along the dirt road leading to the airstrip. The local community is welcoming and accommodating, often providing guidance and assistance on parking arrangements.
Intended to connect the remote village of Basikuna with the rest of the country, the airstrip plays a crucial role in enabling access to essential services, such as healthcare and education, as well as facilitating trade and tourism in the region. It acts as a lifeline for the local population, allowing them to connect with other areas and overcome the challenges posed by geographical isolation.
It is important to note that as Basikuna Airstrip is located in a remote area, infrastructure and amenities might be limited. Visitors are advised to plan and prepare accordingly, including arranging suitable transportation and essential supplies prior to their visit.
In conclusion, Basikuna Airstrip is a significant transport hub in Papua New Guinea’s Eastern Highlands Province. While it lacks dedicated car parking facilities, visitors can find parking options along the road leading to the airstrip. This vital airstrip plays a crucial role in connecting the remote Basikuna Village with the rest of the country, providing essential services and facilitating trade and tourism in the region.
Car Rental at Basikuna Airstrip
Basikuna Airstrip is a small domestic airport located in the Western Province of Papua New Guinea, serving the local communities in the surrounding area. It is a vital transportation link for many residents, providing access to essential services and connecting them to larger cities within the country. Despite its modest size and facilities, Basikuna Airstrip plays a crucial role in facilitating travel and trade in this remote region.
The terminal at Basikuna Airstrip is modest in size, catering to the needs of the community it serves. The terminal building is characterized by a simple and functional design, providing passengers with basic amenities such as seating, ticket counters, and a waiting area. The airport staff are friendly and efficient, ensuring a smooth experience for travelers passing through.
While the terminal may lack some of the amenities found in larger airports, it makes up for it with its stunning natural surroundings. Situated amidst lush greenery and surrounded by towering mountains, the views from Basikuna Airstrip are truly breathtaking. The airport’s remote location and serene ambiance create a unique and memorable experience for travelers passing through.
In summary, Basikuna Airstrip is a small airport that serves as a crucial transportation hub for the local communities in Papua New Guinea’s Western Province. Despite its humble facilities, the terminal provides essential services for residents and connects them to larger cities. While the amenities may be basic, the airport’s natural setting and friendly staff contribute to a pleasant and memorable travel experience.
The Basikuna Airstrip in Papua New Guinea is a small domestic airport that is primarily used for chartered flights. As such, there are no regular scheduled airlines operating at this airstrip. However, here are some of the airlines that have been known to operate charter flights to and from Basikuna Airstrip:
1. Airborne Solutions
3. PNG Air
4. Airlines PNG
5. Heli Niugini
Please note that this is not an exhaustive list, and the availability of airlines may vary depending on the time and demand. It is always recommended to check with local travel agencies or operators for the most up-to-date information regarding flights to and from Basikuna Airstrip.
Basikuna Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety and smooth operation of the facility. These protocols have been put in place to protect both passengers and the airport infrastructure, as well as to comply with international aviation standards.
To maintain security at Basikuna Airstrip, access to restricted areas is tightly regulated. Only authorized personnel with valid identification are permitted to enter these areas, which include the runway, hangars, and control towers. Regular patrols are conducted by airport security personnel to monitor these areas and ensure that no unauthorized individuals or suspicious activities are taking place.
Passenger screening is another crucial aspect of the security protocols at Basikuna Airstrip. All passengers and their belongings are thoroughly screened at designated security checkpoints before being allowed to board their flights. This screening process includes the use of metal detectors, X-ray machines, and explosive detection devices to identify any potential threats or prohibited items.
Furthermore, Basikuna Airstrip has implemented strong surveillance systems throughout the airport premises. CCTV cameras are strategically placed to closely monitor all areas, including entrances, parking lots, and baggage handling areas. These surveillance systems are regularly monitored by trained security personnel to promptly identify and respond to any suspicious behavior or incidents.
In summary, Basikuna Airstrip in Papua New Guinea has implemented comprehensive security protocols to ensure the safety and security of passengers, airport staff, and infrastructure. These protocols include restricted area access control, thorough passenger screening, and strong surveillance systems. By strictly adhering to these protocols, Basikuna Airstrip maintains a secure environment for all stakeholders and upholds international aviation security standards.
Basikuna Airstrip is a small but vital airfield located in the remote region of Papua New Guinea. Situated in the Western Province of the country, the airstrip serves as a crucial transportation hub for both locals and travelers alike. It provides essential access to this otherwise isolated region, connecting communities with the rest of the country and facilitating travel to and from the area.
For travelers visiting Papua New Guinea, Basikuna Airstrip offers a gateway to the remarkable natural beauty and cultural experiences that the Western Province has to offer. The region is known for its stunning landscapes, including pristine beaches, dense rainforests, and majestic mountains. It is also home to diverse indigenous communities, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea.
While Basikuna Airstrip may be a relatively remote destination, travelers can still find assistance and support during their visit. Local guides and tour operators are available to help navigate the region, offering valuable insights and arranging various activities, such as hiking, birdwatching, or cultural tours. Additionally, there are accommodations available in the nearby towns, providing a comfortable base for travelers to explore the area.
In conclusion, Basikuna Airstrip serves as an essential transportation hub in Papua New Guinea’s Western Province, connecting travelers to the region’s stunning natural landscapes and vibrant cultural experiences. With local assistance and a range of activities available, visitors can make the most of their journey to this captivating part of the country.
Shops and Restaurants
Basikuna Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small but convenient transportation facility that serves the local community and visitors to the region. While it may not offer a wide range of shopping and dining options, there are a few establishments available to meet your basic needs. Here are the shops and restaurants you can find at Basikuna Airstrip:
1. Snack Bar: The airstrip features a small snack bar where you can grab a quick bite to eat. Although the menu may be limited, you can expect to find a selection of snacks, sandwiches, and beverages to satisfy your hunger or quench your thirst after a long journey.
2. Souvenir Shop: For those looking to take home a memento of their time in Papua New Guinea, there is a souvenir shop at Basikuna Airstrip. Here, you can find a variety of locally made handicrafts, artwork, and traditional items that reflect the rich cultural heritage of the region.
3. Convenience Store: If you need to pick up some essentials or forgot to pack certain items, there is a convenience store located near the airstrip. You can find basic groceries, toiletries, and other everyday items to ensure you have everything you need during your stay or onward journey.
4. Local Market Stalls: Occasionally, local vendors set up market stalls near the airstrip, offering fresh fruits, vegetables, and other locally produced goods. This can be a great opportunity to experience the vibrant local culture and indulge in some of Papua New Guinea’s delicious produce.
It’s important to note that due to the small size of Basikuna Airstrip, the range of shops and restaurants available may be limited. However, these establishments still provide the essential services and amenities necessary for a comfortable and convenient travel experience.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Basikuna Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides a range of amenities for travelers, including prayer rooms and worship areas. These dedicated spaces cater to the diverse religious needs of passengers passing through the airstrip.
At Basikuna Airstrip, you will find separate prayer rooms and worship areas conveniently located within the airport terminal. These facilities are designed to offer a peaceful and comfortable environment for individuals seeking solace in prayer or engaging in religious rituals.
The prayer rooms at Basikuna Airstrip are thoughtfully equipped with essential facilities to accommodate various religious practices. These serene spaces are often adorned with simple yet elegant decorations, creating an atmosphere conducive to spiritual reflection and devotion.
To ensure the convenience of passengers, the prayer rooms are easily accessible from different areas within the terminal. You can find them situated near the main departure lounge or adjacent to the arrival area, providing easy access for both departing and arriving passengers.
While visiting Basikuna Airstrip, you will also find dedicated worship areas that cater to specific religious communities. These areas are designed keeping in mind the requirements and customs associated with various faiths. They may include features such as prayer mats, seating arrangements, religious texts, and symbols specific to each respective religion.
Basikuna Airstrip’s commitment to accommodating diverse religious practices is evident through the provision of these prayer rooms and worship areas. Whether you are a passenger waiting for a connecting flight, seeking a moment of spiritual reflection, or engaging in religious rituals, these facilities ensure that you can practice your faith in a serene and respectful environment.
Please note that it is advisable to check the specific location of the prayer rooms and worship areas upon arrival at Basikuna Airstrip, as airport facilities may undergo changes or renovations from time to time.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Basikuna Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides limited WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers. While the amenities may not be as extensive as those found in larger airports, they still cater to the needs of passengers requiring connectivity and a conducive environment for work.
The WiFi service at Basikuna Airstrip is available to passengers, enabling them to stay connected with the outside world. However, it is important to note that the WiFi signal may be weaker in certain areas of the airstrip, so it is advisable to position oneself closer to the designated WiFi hotspots for a more reliable connection.
For those seeking a workspace, Basikuna Airstrip offers a designated area where travelers can comfortably set up their laptops or work materials. This space provides a quiet and conducive environment, allowing individuals to focus on their tasks or catch up on work-related activities.
It is worth mentioning that the workspace facilities at Basikuna Airstrip may be limited in terms of the number of seats and available amenities. Therefore, it is recommended to arrive early or make prior arrangements if you anticipate a high demand for these facilities.
While Basikuna Airstrip may not offer the same level of amenities as larger airports, the provision of WiFi and workspace facilities demonstrates the efforts made to accommodate the needs of travelers who require connectivity and a suitable environment to work while waiting for their flights.
Accomodation Options Nearby Basikuna Airstrip
1. Budget-friendly Accommodation:
– Guesthouses or homestays: These provide basic facilities like shared bedrooms, communal bathrooms, and common areas. They are a wallet-friendly option for those seeking a simple and affordable stay near Basikuna Airstrip.
2. Mid-range Accommodation:
– Local lodges: These lodges offer comfortable rooms with private or shared bathrooms. They often include amenities like Wi-Fi, restaurant facilities, and common areas for relaxation. Some lodges provide options for self-catering, allowing guests to prepare their meals.
3. Upscale Accommodation:
– Jungle resorts: Located amidst the lush Papua New Guinean wilderness, these resorts offer a luxurious stay experience with spacious rooms, private bathrooms, and beautiful surroundings. They often provide additional amenities such as swimming pools, spa services, restaurants, and guided tours to nearby attractions.
4. Expansive Resorts:
– Exclusive eco-lodges: For those seeking unparalleled luxury and privacy, exclusive eco-lodges combine comfort and sustainability. They offer lavish accommodations, exquisite dining, personalized services, and facilities like private balconies, stunning views, and access to untouched natural surroundings.
5. Adventure-oriented Accommodation:
– Camping grounds: For nature enthusiasts and adventure seekers, camping grounds near Basikuna Airstrip provide an exciting and budget-friendly option. These facilities offer campsites, tent rentals, and basic amenities like showers and toilets. Camping is an excellent way to immerse oneself in the natural beauty of Papua New Guinea.
Please note that the options mentioned above may not be available directly at Basikuna Airstrip but are likely to be found in nearby areas to cater to visitors accessing the airstrip. It is advisable to research and book accommodations in advance to ensure availability and make arrangements that suit your specific requirements.
1. Kokoda Track: Located just 15 kilometers from Basikuna Airstrip, the Kokoda Track is a famous World War II battlefield renowned for its historical significance. Visitors can embark on a challenging trek along the 96-kilometer trail, which takes them through stunning jungle terrain and offers insights into the country’s wartime history.
2. Efogi Village: Situated close to the Kokoda Track, Efogi Village provides visitors with an authentic cultural experience. Here, you can immerse yourself in traditional village life, interact with the friendly locals, and learn about their customs and traditions.
3. Lake Sirinumu: Nestled amidst picturesque mountains, Lake Sirinumu is a popular spot for nature lovers. Surrounded by lush rainforest, the lake offers opportunities for boating, fishing, and birdwatching. Enjoy the tranquility of this serene oasis, which is less than an hour’s drive from Basikuna Airstrip.
4. Varirata National Park: A short distance from Port Moresby, Varirata National Park is a must-visit destination for wildlife enthusiasts. This protected area is home to a diverse array of flora and fauna. Visitors can explore the park’s well-maintained trails, go birdwatching, and enjoy stunning panoramic views of the city and the Owen Stanley Ranges.
5. Pacific Aerospace Museum: Located in Port Moresby, this museum is dedicated to Papua New Guinea’s aviation history. It showcases a collection of vintage aircraft, including the country’s first national airline’s plane. Aviation enthusiasts and history buffs will appreciate the museum’s exhibits, which provide insights into the role of aviation in the country’s development.
6. Port Moresby Nature Park: A short drive from Basikuna Airstrip, Port Moresby Nature Park is a popular family-friendly attraction. It offers visitors a chance to observe native wildlife up close, with kangaroos, wallabies, birds, and reptiles all on display. The park also hosts educational tours, wildlife presentations, and feeding sessions.
7. Hanuabada Village: Located on the outskirts of Port Moresby, Hanuabada Village is the largest and oldest village in the country. It provides a fascinating glimpse into traditional village life, with stilt houses, cultural artifacts, and a unique way of life influenced by both traditional and modern elements.
8. National Museum and Art Gallery: Situated in Port Moresby, the National Museum and Art Gallery showcases the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea. The museum’s diverse collection includes traditional artifacts, archaeological finds, contemporary art, and historical exhibits. Visitors can learn about the country’s unique customs, rituals, and artistic traditions.
9. Adventure Park PNG: A short drive from Basikuna Airstrip, Adventure Park PNG offers thrilling family entertainment with a range of activities such as zip-lining, go-karting, and water slides. It’s a great place to spend an exciting day in a beautiful natural setting.
10. Loloata Island: Located just off the coast of Port Moresby, Loloata Island is a secluded paradise known for its pristine coral reefs and incredible diving opportunities. Visitors can explore a myriad of marine life and enjoy snorkeling or scuba diving in crystal-clear waters. The island also offers accommodation options for those looking to stay overnight.
History of Basikuna Airstrip
Basikuna Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, has a rich and intriguing history. Established in the mid-20th century, the airstrip has played a significant role in connecting remote communities in the Western Highlands province. Originally built by the Australian government during World War II as a military airfield, Basikuna Airstrip has since evolved into an important transportation hub for both commercial and humanitarian purposes.
During World War II, Basikuna Airstrip served as a crucial base for Australian forces, providing strategic support and facilitating the transportation of troops and supplies. Following the war, the airstrip was handed over to the Papua New Guinea government, which recognized its potential for enabling economic growth and development in the region. Over the years, the airstrip underwent various upgrades to accommodate larger aircraft and improve landing conditions, resulting in increased accessibility for local communities.
Today, Basikuna Airstrip serves as a lifeline for the people of Papua New Guinea’s Western Highlands province. It plays a vital role in connecting remote villages and towns to vital services, such as healthcare, education, and trade. The airstrip has also facilitated the transportation of essential supplies during times of crisis and natural disasters, allowing for quick and efficient relief efforts. Moreover, it has become a gateway for tourism, providing access to the stunning natural landscapes and cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea.
Overall, Basikuna Airstrip stands as a testament to the resilience and determination of the people of Papua New Guinea. It has evolved from a military airfield to a crucial transportation hub, bringing opportunities and progress to remote communities. With its intriguing history and continued importance, Basikuna Airstrip serves as a symbol of connectivity and growth in the region.
Other Airports in Bougainville (North Solomons), Papua New Guinea
- Arawa Airport
- Aropa Airport
- Basikuna Airstrip
- Buin Airport
- Buka Airport
- Karato Airport
- Nissan Island Airport
- Nuguria Airstrip
- Sabah Airport
- Tonu Airport
- Torokina Airport
- Wakunai Airport