Blaise Diagne International Airport is the largest airport in Senegal and serves as the main gateway to the country. Located in the town of Diass, approximately 47 kilometers from the capital city of Dakar, the airport is named after Blaise Diagne, a Senegalese politician and the first black African elected to the French National Assembly.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Blaise Diagne International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Blaise Diagne International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Blaise Diagne International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Blaise Diagne International Airport
- Other Airports in Dakar Region, Senegal
How to Get to Blaise Diagne International Airport
Blaise Diagne International Airport is located in the town of Diass, approximately 47 kilometers southeast of Dakar, the capital city of Senegal. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
If you are traveling from Dakar, the easiest and most convenient way to get to Blaise Diagne International Airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance through a taxi company. The journey takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic, and the fare should be negotiated with the driver before setting off.
Alternatively, you can take a bus from Dakar to the airport. The Dakar Dem Dikk bus company operates a regular service between Dakar and Diass, with buses departing from the Gare Routière de Colobane bus station. The journey takes around 90 minutes and the fare is relatively cheap.
If you prefer to drive yourself, there are several car rental companies operating in Dakar that offer a range of vehicles to suit different budgets and needs. The journey to the airport takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic, and there is ample parking available at the airport.
Blaise Diagne International Airport, located in Dakar, Senegal, offers a variety of transportation options for travelers to choose from. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The fare is usually negotiable, so it’s important to agree on a price before getting in the taxi.
2. Car Rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, offering a range of vehicles to suit your needs. It’s best to book in advance to ensure availability and to get the best rates.
3. Shuttle Service: Some hotels and resorts offer shuttle services to and from the airport. Check with your accommodation provider to see if this is an option.
4. Public Transportation: The airport is connected to the city by public transportation, including buses and trains. This is a more affordable option, but may not be as convenient as other options.
5. Private Transfer: Private transfer companies offer a more luxurious and personalized option for transportation. These companies can be booked in advance and will pick you up from the airport and take you directly to your destination.
No matter which transportation option you choose, it’s important to plan ahead and make arrangements before arriving at the airport to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey.
Blaise Diagne International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are higher than other parking options.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are more affordable than short-term parking.
3. Premium parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and offers the most convenient parking option for travelers. The rates for premium parking are higher than other parking options.
4. Valet parking: This parking option allows travelers to drop off their car at the terminal building and have it parked for them. The rates for valet parking are the highest of all parking options.
All parking areas at Blaise Diagne International Airport are secure and monitored 24/7 to ensure the safety of parked vehicles. Travelers can choose the parking option that best suits their needs and budget.
Car Rental at Blaise Diagne International Airport
Blaise Diagne International Airport is the main airport serving Dakar, the capital city of Senegal. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a capacity of 3 million passengers per year and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Terminal 2, on the other hand, is a smaller terminal that is used exclusively for regional flights. It has a capacity of 500,000 passengers per year and is equipped with basic facilities such as check-in counters and waiting areas. The terminal is designed to cater to the needs of passengers traveling to nearby countries such as Mali, Guinea, and Mauritania.
Both terminals at Blaise Diagne International Airport are modern and well-maintained, providing passengers with a comfortable and hassle-free travel experience. The airport is also equipped with state-of-the-art security systems to ensure the safety of passengers and their belongings. Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport is a world-class airport that is capable of handling the growing number of passengers traveling to and from Senegal.
1. Air Senegal
2. Air France
3. Royal Air Maroc
4. TAP Air Portugal
5. Turkish Airlines
6. Ethiopian Airlines
7. ASKY Airlines
8. Mauritania Airlines
9. Brussels Airlines
11. Air Côte d’Ivoire
12. Kenya Airways
16. Qatar Airways
18. Delta Air Lines
19. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
20. Air Algérie.
Blaise Diagne International Airport is a modern airport located in Dakar, Senegal. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The airport security team is highly trained and equipped with the latest technology to detect any potential threats.
All passengers and their luggage are screened before entering the airport terminal. The screening process includes a thorough check of all carry-on and checked baggage using X-ray machines and other advanced screening equipment. Passengers are also required to pass through metal detectors and body scanners to ensure that they are not carrying any prohibited items.
The airport also has a team of security personnel who patrol the airport premises to ensure that there are no security breaches. The airport has installed CCTV cameras throughout the terminal and parking areas to monitor any suspicious activity. The airport also has a strict policy on the use of drones, and any unauthorized drone activity is strictly prohibited.
In addition to these measures, the airport has implemented a range of other security protocols, including the use of biometric technology for passenger identification and the deployment of explosive detection dogs. The airport also works closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure that all security measures are up to date and effective.
Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport has implemented a comprehensive security system to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. The airport’s commitment to security has earned it a reputation as one of the safest airports in Africa.
Blaise Diagne International Airport is the main airport serving Dakar, the capital city of Senegal. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs assistance.
The airport has a dedicated team of staff who are trained to provide assistance to passengers with disabilities or special needs. Wheelchair assistance is available for passengers who require it, and the airport also has special facilities for passengers with reduced mobility. Additionally, the airport has a medical center that provides emergency medical assistance to passengers in need.
For passengers traveling with children, the airport has a play area and baby changing facilities. There are also several restaurants and cafes at the airport where passengers can grab a bite to eat or a drink before their flight. The airport also has a duty-free shopping area where passengers can purchase souvenirs, gifts, and other items.
Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for passengers. The airport’s dedicated staff and facilities make it an ideal choice for travelers visiting Dakar and the surrounding areas.
Shops and Restaurants
Blaise Diagne International Airport, located in Dakar, Senegal, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
– Duty Free: This shop offers a wide range of products, including perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco. Travelers can take advantage of tax-free prices and find great deals on luxury items.
– Souvenirs: This shop sells traditional Senegalese handicrafts, such as masks, textiles, and jewelry. It’s a great place to pick up unique gifts for friends and family back home.
– Newsstand: For travelers who need reading material for their flight, the newsstand offers a selection of newspapers, magazines, and books in various languages.
– Le Teranga: This restaurant serves traditional Senegalese cuisine, such as thieboudienne (fish and rice) and yassa (chicken in onion sauce). The menu also includes international dishes and a selection of wines and cocktails.
– Starbucks: For a quick coffee fix, travelers can stop by this popular chain and enjoy their favorite beverages and snacks.
– Burger King: This fast food restaurant offers burgers, fries, and other classic American fare. It’s a good option for travelers who want a quick and filling meal before their flight.
Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options to suit different tastes and needs. Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, luxury goods, or a satisfying meal, you’re sure to find something to your liking.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Blaise Diagne International Airport in Senegal has several prayer rooms and worship areas available for passengers and visitors. These areas are located in various parts of the airport, making them easily accessible to all.
1. Muslim Prayer Room: The Muslim prayer room is located on the ground floor of the airport, near the baggage claim area. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 50 people at a time. The prayer room is equipped with prayer mats, a Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Christian Chapel: The Christian chapel is located on the first floor of the airport, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 20 people at a time. The chapel is equipped with a Bible, hymnals, and a small altar.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport, near the duty-free shops. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 30 people at a time. The prayer room is designed to accommodate people of all faiths and is equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and ablution facilities.
4. Meditation Room: The meditation room is located on the first floor of the airport, near the boarding gates. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate up to 10 people at a time. The room is designed for quiet reflection and meditation and is equipped with comfortable seating and soft lighting.
Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport provides a range of prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the needs of all passengers and visitors. These areas are well-maintained and provide a peaceful and comfortable environment for prayer and reflection.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Blaise Diagne International Airport, located in Dakar, Senegal, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flight.
Workspace: For those who need to work on the go, the airport offers a variety of workspace options. The Business Lounge, located in the Departures area, provides a quiet and comfortable environment with workstations, charging points, and complimentary refreshments. The lounge is accessible to passengers with a Priority Pass or a business class ticket.
In addition, the airport has a number of cafes and restaurants that offer seating areas with power outlets, making it easy for passengers to work while enjoying a meal or a cup of coffee.
Overall, Blaise Diagne International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of modern travelers.
The Blaise Diagne International Airport in Dakar, Senegal offers a variety of lounges for travelers to relax and unwind before their flights.
- Air France Lounge: Located in Terminal 1, near the boarding gates.
- VIP Lounge: Located in Terminal 2, near the boarding gates.
- Lounge du Senegal: Located in Terminal 1, near the boarding gates.
- Business Class Lounge: Located in Terminal 1, near the boarding gates.
- Senegal Airlines Lounge: Located in Terminal 1, near the boarding gates.
Accomodation Options Nearby Blaise Diagne International Airport
Blaise Diagne International Airport, located near Dakar, Senegal, offers a range of accommodation options to cater to the various needs and budgets of travelers. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, here are some of the accommodation options available within close proximity to the airport:
1. Transit Hotel: Perfect for passengers seeking a short and convenient stay, there is a transit hotel located within the airport premises. It provides comfortable rooms and basic amenities, making it an ideal option for those with connecting flights or layovers.
2. Budget Hotels: For budget-conscious travelers, several affordable accommodation options can be found near the airport. These hotels offer clean and decent rooms, along with essential amenities such as Wi-Fi, air conditioning, and breakfast, ensuring a comfortable stay without breaking the bank.
3. Mid-Range Hotels: If you prefer a more comfortable stay with additional amenities, there are mid-range hotels located within a short distance from Blaise Diagne International Airport. These hotels typically offer well-appointed rooms, on-site restaurants, fitness centers, and sometimes even swimming pools, providing a balance between affordability and convenience.
4. Business Hotels: Travelers with business needs may opt for upscale business hotels that cater to their specific requirements. These hotels offer enhanced amenities such as conference rooms, business centers, and high-speed internet, ensuring a productive and comfortable stay.
5. Luxury Resorts: For those seeking an indulgent and relaxing experience, luxury resorts near the airport provide an array of first-class services and facilities. These resorts often boast stunning views, spa and wellness centers, multiple dining options, and personalized services, promising a truly luxurious stay.
To make the best choice for your accommodation at Blaise Diagne International Airport, consider factors such as proximity to the airport, budget, desired amenities, and the purpose of your visit. It is recommended to research and make reservations in advance to ensure availability and secure the best possible rates.
Blaise Diagne International Airport, located in Dakar, Senegal, is a gateway to many incredible attractions in the region. Here are 10 notable attractions near the airport that offer a diverse range of cultural, historical, and natural experiences:
1. Goree Island: Just off the coast of Dakar, this UNESCO World Heritage site is known for its haunting slave history and charming colonial architecture. Take a boat tour from Dakar to explore its museums, fort, and narrow streets.
2. Lac Rose (Pink Lake): A stunning natural phenomenon, Lac Rose gets its name from the unique pink hue caused by high salt concentration. Visitors can float in the lake and witness salt harvesting by the local Fulani people.
3. Dakar City Center: Immerse yourself in the vibrant atmosphere of Dakar, the capital city of Senegal. Explore markets, such as Sandaga or Kermel, where you can buy African crafts, textiles, and spices. Don’t miss out on sampling local cuisine, such as thieboudienne (fish and rice) or yassa (marinated chicken) at various restaurants.
4. African Renaissance Monument: Standing tall at 49 meters high, this iconic statue represents the resurgence of Africa. Enjoy panoramic views of the city from its observation deck or visit the museum to learn about African culture and history.
5. Dakar Grand Mosque: Known as the Great Mosque of Dakar, this architectural marvel is a symbol of Islamic faith in Senegal. Visitors can admire its beautiful tile work, intricate wood carvings, and peaceful courtyard.
6. Dakar Corniche: Take a leisurely stroll along the bustling Corniche road, which runs parallel to the Atlantic Ocean. Enjoy stunning views, visit trendy cafes, or unwind on one of the sandy beaches overlooking the ocean.
7. Bandia Wildlife Reserve: Located approximately an hour from the airport, this reserve offers an opportunity to see a variety of African wildlife up close. Embark on a thrilling safari drive to spot giraffes, rhinos, zebras, antelopes, and more.
8. Saint-Louis: A UNESCO World Heritage site, Saint-Louis is a charming coastal town located about 200 km from the airport. Known for its colonial architecture, vibrant music scene, and vibrant cultural festivals, it is a must-visit for history and culture enthusiasts.
9. Somone Lagoon Reserve: Just south of the airport, this protected area is a haven for birdwatchers and nature lovers. Take a boat tour to explore the mangroves, spot exotic bird species, and learn about the important role the lagoon plays in maintaining the local ecosystem.
10. Joal-Fadiouth: Situated on an island, Joal and neighboring Fadiouth are unique destinations known for their idyllic beaches and fascinating cultural heritage. Cross the shell bridge connecting the two islands and explore Fadiouth’s beautiful shell-covered streets and burial grounds.
These attractions near Blaise Diagne International Airport offer a range of experiences that highlight the rich cultural and natural diversity of Senegal.
History of Blaise Diagne International Airport
Blaise Diagne International Airport is the largest airport in Senegal and is located in the town of Diass, approximately 47 kilometers east of the capital city of Dakar. The airport was named after Blaise Diagne, a Senegalese politician who was the first black African elected to the French National Assembly in 1914.
The airport was officially opened in December 2017 and replaced the old Léopold Sédar Senghor International Airport in Dakar. The construction of the airport was a joint venture between the Senegalese government and Turkish construction company Summa. The airport was built at a cost of $575 million and has the capacity to handle up to three million passengers per year.
Blaise Diagne International Airport is a modern and state-of-the-art facility that boasts a range of amenities and services for passengers. The airport has a large duty-free shopping area, restaurants, cafes, and lounges. It also has a range of facilities for disabled passengers, including wheelchair ramps and accessible toilets.
In addition to being a major hub for air travel in West Africa, Blaise Diagne International Airport is also an important economic driver for the region. The airport has created thousands of jobs and has helped to boost tourism and trade in Senegal. With its modern facilities and strategic location, Blaise Diagne International Airport is set to play a key role in the growth and development of Senegal’s economy for years to come.
Other Airports in Dakar Region, Senegal