The Bosavi Airstrip is a small, remote airstrip located in the Southern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. It serves as a vital transportation link for the surrounding communities, providing access to healthcare facilities, schools, and other essential services.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Bosavi Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Bosavi Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Bosavi Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Bosavi Airstrip
- Other Airports in Southern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Bosavi Airstrip
To get to Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, you will need to follow these steps:
1. Fly to Port Moresby: Arrive at Jacksons International Airport in Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. This airport is served by several international and domestic airlines.
2. Book a domestic flight to Mendi: From Port Moresby, book a domestic flight to Mendi Hagen Airport. There are regular flights available, and the duration of the journey is approximately 1 hour and 15 minutes.
3. Travel to Tari: Upon reaching Mendi, you will need to arrange transportation to Tari, which is the closest town to Bosavi. This journey can be undertaken by either hiring a private vehicle or taking a public bus. The distance between Mendi and Tari is around 80 kilometers and takes approximately 2-3 hours by road.
4. Arrange a charter flight to Bosavi: Once in Tari, you will have to arrange a charter flight to Bosavi Airstrip. This can be organized through local tour operators or airlines that operate in the region. The flight duration is typically around 30-45 minutes, but it may vary depending on weather conditions and aircraft availability.
5. Arrival at Bosavi Airstrip: After the charter flight, you will arrive at Bosavi Airstrip, which serves as the gateway to the remote Bosavi region. From here, you can explore the untouched beauty of the area, including the famous Mount Bosavi and the surrounding rainforests.
Note: It is recommended to plan your journey in advance, ensure availability of domestic flights and charter services, and stay informed about any updates or changes in flight schedules to avoid any inconvenience.
Bosavi Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as an important transportation hub for travelers visiting the region. Although the airstrip is a remote facility, it offers several transportation options to facilitate easy access to nearby areas. Here are the main modes of transportation available at Bosavi Airstrip:
1. Domestic Flights: The most common and convenient way to reach Bosavi Airstrip is by booking a domestic flight from Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. Several domestic airlines operate regular flights to Bosavi Airstrip, ensuring a hassle-free journey for travelers.
2. Helicopter Charter: For those seeking a unique and luxurious mode of transportation, helicopter charter services are also available at Bosavi Airstrip. These services offer personalized travel experiences, allowing visitors to easily explore the stunning landscapes and remote areas surrounding the airstrip.
3. Private Vehicles: Visitors can also opt to travel by private vehicles from nearby towns and villages to reach Bosavi Airstrip. However, it’s important to note that the terrain in the region can be challenging, with rough roads and limited infrastructure. Therefore, it’s advisable to hire experienced local drivers who are familiar with the area.
4. Trekking: Another unconventional and adventurous way to reach Bosavi Airstrip is through trekking. Papua New Guinea boasts breathtaking natural beauty, and many adventure enthusiasts choose to embark on challenging trekking routes that lead to the airstrip. This option is ideal for those seeking an off-the-beaten-path experience and are physically fit to endure long distances.
5. Nearby Accommodation Transfers: Many accommodations near Bosavi Airstrip offer transportation services for their guests. Whether it’s a lodge, resort, or guesthouse, guests can arrange transfers directly with their accommodation provider to and from the airstrip. This ensures a seamless transition between the airstrip and their chosen place of stay.
When planning a visit to Bosavi Airstrip, travelers have several transportation options at their disposal. Whether it’s by domestic flight, helicopter charter, private vehicles, trekking, or accommodation transfers, each option offers its own unique experience for exploring the stunning wonders of Papua New Guinea.
Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea is a vital transportation hub connecting various remote areas in the region. While it may not boast extensive car parking facilities like urban airports, there are still options available for parking your vehicle near the airstrip. Here are a few places where you can park your car conveniently when flying from or to Bosavi Airstrip:
1. Bosavi Village: Bosavi Village, located in the Southern Highlands Province, offers parking spaces for visitors using the airstrip. As Bosavi Airstrip is adjacent to the village, parking your car here provides easy access to the airport. The local community ensures the area is secure, and you can arrange with them to leave your vehicle here during your trip.
2. Koroba Station: Another option for parking near Bosavi Airstrip is Koroba Station. Located approximately 45 kilometers away, this small township in the Hela Province provides parking facilities for travelers using the Bosavi Airstrip. You can find a secure parking spot either within the town or coordinate with local authorities regarding designated parking areas.
3. Tari: Tari, the capital of Hela Province, also offers parking options for those using Bosavi Airstrip. Being approximately 90 kilometers away from the airstrip, Tari provides ample parking space and various accommodations, making it a convenient choice for parking your car while traveling through Bosavi Airstrip.
It is noteworthy that the parking facilities near Bosavi Airstrip may be limited and may not offer the same level of amenities found in urban areas. Therefore, it is advisable to contact the local authorities or communities beforehand to obtain accurate information about parking availability and any associated guidelines or fees.
Remember to ensure the security of your vehicle by taking necessary precautions, such as removing valuable items or using car locks. Additionally, always respect the local regulations and customs when parking near Bosavi Airstrip, contributing to a positive travel experience for both locals and visitors alike.
Car Rental at Bosavi Airstrip
Bosavi Airstrip, located in the Southern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital connection point for remote communities and visitors to this region. Nestled amidst breathtaking natural surroundings, this small airstrip provides access to the elusive and culturally rich Bosavi Crater. Being the only facility within an extensive area, it plays a crucial role in supporting transportation and economic activities in the region.
The terminal at Bosavi Airstrip is designed to cater to the needs of both domestic passengers and cargo operations. It features simple but practical facilities, offering basic services to ensure a smooth travel experience. While modest in size, the terminal provides amenities such as waiting areas, ticket counters, and baggage handling facilities to facilitate the movement of passengers and goods. Local staff are present to assist with enquiries and ensure the efficient handling of operations.
Despite its remote location, Bosavi Airstrip ensures that essential services are available to those traveling to and from the area. As a hub for transportation, it serves as a vital link to the outside world for the inhabitants of this secluded region, facilitating access to medical services, educational opportunities, and supplies necessary for their livelihoods. Bosavi Airstrip stands as a testament to the importance of air travel in connecting communities, promoting economic growth, and fostering cultural exchange in Papua New Guinea’s Southern Highlands province.
Unfortunately, I couldn’t find any specific information on the operating airlines at Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. It’s possible that there are no scheduled airlines serving this particular airstrip, as it may be primarily used for chartered flights or private aircraft. It’s advisable to reach out to local aviation authorities or travel agencies for more accurate and up-to-date information.
Bosavi Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is an essential transportation hub that serves the remote Bosavi region. To ensure the safety and security of all passengers and staff, stringent security protocols are in place at the airstrip. These measures aim to minimize risks, protect against potential threats, and create a safe environment for everyone involved.
Strict access control procedures are enforced at Bosavi Airstrip to regulate entry to the facility. Only authorized personnel and passengers are allowed beyond the designated security checkpoints. This restriction helps maintain a controlled environment and prevent unauthorized individuals from tampering with the airport’s operations.
Baggage and cargo screening is another essential security protocol at Bosavi Airstrip. All bags, parcels, and freight are thoroughly inspected to detect any prohibited or potentially dangerous items. This procedure enhances the safety of everyone using the facility and guarantees that no harmful objects are brought on board aircraft.
Furthermore, Bosavi Airstrip adheres to standard protocols for passenger screening. Passengers are required to go through security checks, which usually involve metal detector screening and X-ray imaging of personal belongings. These measures help identify any potential threats or prohibited items that might compromise the safety of passengers and crew during flights.
Overall, Bosavi Airstrip’s security protocols aim to create a safe and protected environment for both passengers and staff. Through the implementation of access control procedures, baggage and cargo screening, and passenger screening, the authorities prioritize the well-being and security of all individuals at the airport.
Bosavi Airstrip, located in the remote Southern Highlands region of Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub for travelers exploring the stunning Bosavi Crater and the surrounding wilderness. Despite its remote location, the airstrip provides essential traveler’s assistance, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience for visitors venturing into this pristine natural wonder.
Travelers arriving at Bosavi Airstrip can expect a range of helpful services. Friendly airport staff are readily available to provide guidance and answer any queries, offering a warm welcome to this remote corner of Papua New Guinea. The airstrip features a well-maintained runway, ensuring safe landings and take-offs for small aircraft that serve this region. Travelers can also find basic facilities such as restrooms and waiting areas, allowing them to relax and prepare for their onward journey.
Additionally, Bosavi Airstrip offers convenient access to local transportation options, enabling visitors to easily reach their desired destinations. Local transport providers, including taxis or hired vehicles, can be arranged to transfer travelers to nearby accommodations or onward to other attractions in the region. These transportation services are crucial in facilitating exploration of the Bosavi Crater, home to a diverse range of flora and fauna, as well as traditional indigenous communities.
In conclusion, Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides essential traveler’s assistance for those seeking to explore the breathtaking beauty of the Bosavi Crater. With its well-maintained runway, friendly staff, and convenient access to local transportation, the airstrip ensures a seamless travel experience, allowing visitors to fully immerse themselves in the unique natural and cultural wonders of this remote region.
Shops and Restaurants
Bosavi Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Whether you are awaiting your flight or have just arrived, these establishments provide a convenient and enjoyable experience.
For those in need of some retail therapy, Bosavi Airstrip boasts several shops that offer a variety of products. Visitors can explore souvenir shops to find unique mementos, handicrafts, and traditional artifacts to take back home. These shops not only offer a glimpse into the local culture but also provide an opportunity to support local artisans and craftsmen.
When it comes to dining options, Bosavi Airstrip does not disappoint. The airport houses a selection of restaurants and cafes that serve both local and international cuisines. Travelers can indulge in authentic Papuan dishes, such as kokoda (a traditional fish dish marinated in citrus juice) or mumu (meat and vegetables cooked in an underground pit). Alternatively, they can opt for international fare, including burgers, sandwiches, and pasta, ensuring there is something to suit every palate.
The shops and restaurants at Bosavi Airstrip strive to create a comfortable and welcoming environment for travelers. The staff are known for their friendly and attentive service, ensuring that visitors feel well taken care of during their time at the airport. Whether you are looking to satisfy your hunger or find a unique souvenir, Bosavi Airstrip’s shops and restaurants are ready to cater to your needs.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea is a small airport that serves as a vital transportation hub for the local community. As a place where people from different backgrounds and faiths converge, it understands the importance of providing prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the diverse religious needs of its visitors.
Located within the vicinity of Bosavi Airstrip, there are several designated spaces that offer peaceful environments for prayer and worship. These areas are thoughtfully designed to accommodate various religious practices, ensuring that individuals can observe their faith conveniently.
One such prayer room is situated in the main terminal building of Bosavi Airstrip. This dedicated space is easily accessible and provides a serene atmosphere for visitors to engage in personal prayer or meditation. Equipped with basic amenities, this prayer room offers a quiet sanctuary where individuals can find solace and connect with their beliefs.
Additionally, there are separate worship areas located near the airstrip premises that cater to specific religious communities. For instance, a mosque is available nearby, allowing Muslims to fulfill their daily prayers and congregational prayers conveniently. This mosque is equipped with facilities to support the religious rituals and practices of the Muslim community, providing a welcoming space for them.
Furthermore, a small chapel is also present in close proximity to the Bosavi Airstrip. This chapel serves as a place of worship for Christian visitors, providing them with an intimate setting to engage in prayer and reflection. It offers a tranquil environment for Christians to connect with their faith and seek spiritual guidance.
Overall, Bosavi Airstrip recognizes the significance of providing prayer rooms and worship areas to accommodate the religious needs of its diverse visitors. Whether it be through the main terminal prayer room, the nearby mosque for Muslims, or the chapel for Christians, the airport aims to create an inclusive environment that respects and supports different religious practices.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Bosavi Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities for the convenience of its visitors. While the availability of these amenities may not match up to that of larger airports, Bosavi Airstrip strives to provide a comfortable environment for travelers.
WiFi access is available within the vicinity of the airstrip, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or catch up on work while waiting for their flights. While the speed of the connection may vary, it generally enables basic internet browsing and email access. However, it is important to note that the bandwidth may be limited due to the remote location of the airstrip.
For those seeking a dedicated workspace, Bosavi Airstrip offers a designated area where passengers can set up their laptops or electronic devices. This space provides a quiet and relatively peaceful environment, allowing individuals to concentrate on their tasks. However, it is important to keep in mind that the available workspace may be limited, and it is recommended to arrive early to secure a spot.
While the WiFi and workspace facilities at Bosavi Airstrip may not be as extensive as those found in larger airports, they do provide a valuable service to passengers in need of connectivity and a place to work. These amenities are particularly beneficial for business travelers or those who need to stay connected during their journey.
Overall, Bosavi Airstrip recognizes the importance of staying connected and offers WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of its passengers. These amenities, although limited, provide a reliable means of internet access and a designated area for work, ensuring a more comfortable and productive travel experience.
Accomodation Options Nearby Bosavi Airstrip
Bosavi Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers a range of accommodation options, catering to diverse budgets and preferences. Whether you seek budget-conscious lodging or luxurious amenities, there are choices available to meet your needs. Let’s explore the various accommodation options at Bosavi Airstrip:
1. Traditional Village Stays:
For an authentic cultural experience, you can opt for a traditional village stay. These accommodations are typically basic and offer a glimpse into the local way of life. You may sleep in thatched huts or communal spaces, immersing yourself in the traditions and customs of the indigenous people. This low-cost option allows for a unique and educational adventure.
2. Guesthouses and Inns:
Bosavi Airstrip presents several guesthouses and inns that cater to budget travelers. These establishments usually provide clean and comfortable rooms with essential amenities. While they may lack some luxuries, they offer friendly service and a cozy atmosphere at an economical price point.
3. Mid-range Lodges:
For those seeking a comfortable stay without splurging, mid-range lodges are an excellent option. These accommodations offer well-equipped rooms, often with en-suite bathrooms, hot water, and other modern conveniences. Mid-range lodges are typically situated amidst picturesque landscapes, allowing visitors to enjoy the beauty of the surrounding area.
4. Eco-friendly Resorts:
If you’re inclined towards sustainability and eco-tourism, you can choose from a variety of eco-friendly resorts. These establishments aim to minimize their environmental impact while providing guests with a unique experience. With renewable energy sources, locally sourced food, and eco-conscious practices, these resorts offer an opportunity to connect with nature and enjoy a guilt-free stay.
5. Luxury Lodges and Retreats:
For travelers seeking the crème de la crème, luxury lodges and retreats at Bosavi Airstrip deliver opulence and exceptional service. These high-end establishments provide exquisite accommodations complete with lavish amenities. You can expect spacious rooms or private villas, gourmet dining options, state-of-the-art facilities, and immersive experiences tailored to your preferences. These lodges often feature stunning natural surroundings and offer exclusive activities such as spa treatments and guided hikes.
Remember to book your accommodations in advance, as availability may vary depending on the season. Whether you prefer immersing yourself in local culture, seeking affordable comfort, or indulging in luxury, Bosavi Airstrip accommodates a diverse range of travelers, making your stay in Papua New Guinea truly memorable.
1. Mount Bosavi: One of the main attractions near Bosavi Airstrip is Mount Bosavi, a dormant volcano located in the southern highlands of Papua New Guinea. The volcano offers thrilling hiking opportunities amid lush rainforests, breathtaking vistas, and the chance to explore the rim of the volcanic crater.
2. Bosavi Crater: Nestled within the volcanic mountain, Bosavi Crater is a unique natural wonder that mesmerizes visitors. The stunning crater is home to a multitude of endemic plant and animal species, making it a dream destination for nature enthusiasts and wildlife lovers.
3. Bosavi Waterfalls: The region surrounding Bosavi Airstrip boasts several picturesque waterfalls. These cascades provide an alluring setting for swimming, picnicking, and capturing stunning photographs against the backdrop of the dense rainforest.
4. Bosavi Cave Systems: Adventurous travelers will be thrilled to explore the intricate cave systems found in the Bosavi area. These caves showcase stunning stalactite and stalagmite formations, and some even house fascinating bird species unique to this region.
5. Bosavi Wildlife: Papua New Guinea is renowned for its diverse and exotic wildlife, and the Bosavi region is no exception. Here, visitors can spot an array of bird species, including the famous Raggiana bird of paradise, along with tree kangaroos, wallabies, and other elusive mammals.
6. Bosavi Cultural Experience: Immerse yourself in the traditional customs and rich cultural heritage of the local Bosavi people. Engage in lively village dances, witness traditional crafts being made, and learn about their unique way of life. This cultural experience promises to be both educational and eye-opening.
7. Bosavi Hot Springs: Relax and rejuvenate in the therapeutic hot springs located near Bosavi. The soothing warm waters are known for their healing properties and provide a perfect retreat after a long day of adventure.
8. Bosavi Agriculture: Gain insights into the region’s agricultural practices by visiting local farms and plantations. Discover the traditional cultivation techniques employed by the Bosavi community, and taste some of the unique crops grown in this fertile region.
9. Bosavi Jungle Trekking: Embark on an invigorating jungle trek accompanied by experienced guides. Navigate through ancient forests, cross riverbeds, and encounter the hidden wonders of this pristine wilderness. Trekking in Bosavi offers an opportunity to connect with nature on a deeper level.
10. Bosavi Village Homestays: For a truly immersive experience, consider staying with a local family in Bosavi village. Engage in daily activities, share meals, and gain a genuine understanding of their way of life. This homestay experience will leave you with lasting memories and a newfound appreciation for the Bosavi culture.
Please note that some of these attractions may require additional travel arrangements or guided tours. It is essential to plan accordingly and ensure a safe and enjoyable exploration of the Bosavi area.
History of Bosavi Airstrip
Bosavi Airstrip, situated in the lush highlands of Papua New Guinea, holds a significant place in the region’s history. Constructed during World War II by the Australian military, this remote airstrip served as a crucial logistical base for the Allies in their fight against the Japanese forces in the Pacific. Its strategic location provided an important link between the coastal towns and the inland highland regions, facilitating the movement of troops, supplies, and equipment.
After the war, Bosavi Airstrip continued to play a pivotal role in the development of the region. Used primarily for transporting essential goods and connecting remote communities, the airstrip became a lifeline for those living in the rugged, inaccessible terrain. Over the years, it has been a key hub for medical evacuations, enabling access to emergency healthcare for the locals.
Today, Bosavi Airstrip remains a vital infrastructural asset for Papua New Guinea’s highlands. Although mainly catering to small aircraft, the airstrip serves as a gateway to this remote part of the country, providing access to breathtaking natural beauty, including the famed Bosavi Crater. As tourism in the country grows, the airstrip emerges as an important entry point for adventure seekers and researchers interested in exploring the region’s unique flora, fauna, and cultural heritage.
With a rich history and ongoing significance, Bosavi Airstrip stands as a testament to the region’s resilience and the essential role aviation infrastructure plays in connecting remote communities, facilitating economic growth, and promoting sustainable development in Papua New Guinea.
Other Airports in Southern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
- Batri Airstrip
- Bosavi Airstrip
- Erave Airport
- Fogomaiu Airstrip
- Gobe Airport
- Ialibu Airport
- Kafa Airstrip
- Kagua Airport
- Kaibo Airstrip
- Kantobo Airstrip
- Kar Airport
- Mendi Airport
- Moro Airport
- Mount Tauwa Airstrip
- Musula Airstrip
- Nipa Airport
- Pangia Airport
- Pimaga Airport
- Puri Airport
- Samberigi Airstrip
- Sopise Airstrip
- Sugu Airstrip
- Tiri Airstrip
- Woposali Airstrip