Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is the main airport serving the city of Catania and the eastern coast of Sicily. It is located just 4.3 km southwest of the city center and is the busiest airport in Sicily in terms of passenger traffic.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Other Airports in Sicily, Italy
How to Get to Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is located in the city of Catania, Italy. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by car, bus, and taxi.
If you are driving, the airport is easily accessible from the A18 motorway. Simply follow the signs for the airport and take the exit for “Aeroporto”. There is ample parking available at the airport, including both short-term and long-term options.
If you prefer to take public transportation, there are several bus routes that serve the airport. The AMT Alibus runs from the city center to the airport every 25 minutes, while the AST bus service connects the airport to other cities in the region.
Finally, if you prefer to take a taxi, there are several taxi companies that serve the airport. Taxis are available outside the terminal building and can be hailed on the street as well. The journey from the city center to the airport takes approximately 15-20 minutes, depending on traffic.
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is the main airport serving the city of Catania, located on the east coast of Sicily, Italy. There are several transportation options available for travelers arriving at the airport, including:
1. Bus: The AMT Alibus is a shuttle bus service that connects the airport to the city center of Catania. The bus runs every 25 minutes and the journey takes approximately 20 minutes. Tickets can be purchased at the airport or on board the bus.
2. Taxi: Taxis are available outside the airport terminal and can take you to your destination in Catania or other nearby cities. The journey time and cost will depend on your destination and traffic conditions.
3. Car rental: Several car rental companies have offices at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, Hertz, and Sixt. Renting a car is a convenient option if you plan to explore the surrounding areas of Catania.
4. Private transfer: Private transfer services are available for those who prefer a more comfortable and personalized transportation option. You can book a private transfer in advance through various online platforms or at the airport.
5. Train: The airport is connected to the Catania Centrale railway station by a shuttle bus service. From there, you can take a train to other destinations in Sicily and Italy.
Overall, there are plenty of transportation options available at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport to suit different preferences and budgets. Whether you prefer public transportation or a private transfer, you can easily reach your destination from the airport.
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. P1 – Multi-storey car park: This is a covered car park located just a few steps away from the terminal. It is ideal for short-term parking and offers easy access to the airport.
2. P2 – Long-stay car park: This is an open-air car park located a short distance from the terminal. It is ideal for long-term parking and offers a free shuttle service to the terminal.
3. P3 – Low-cost car park: This is an open-air car park located a little further away from the terminal. It is ideal for budget-conscious travelers and offers a free shuttle service to the terminal.
4. P4 – Executive car park: This is a covered car park located close to the terminal. It is ideal for business travelers and offers a range of premium services, including valet parking and car washing.
5. P5 – Car rental car park: This is a dedicated car park for rental cars. It is located just a short walk from the terminal and offers easy access to the car rental companies.
Overall, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs and budgets of all travelers.
Car Rental at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Keddy by Europcar
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is the main airport serving the city of Catania in Sicily, Italy. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It is a modern and spacious terminal with a wide range of facilities and services for passengers.
Terminal 1 has three levels, with the ground floor dedicated to arrivals and baggage claim, the first floor for departures and check-in, and the second floor for boarding gates and lounges. The terminal has a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as duty-free stores and currency exchange services. There are also ATMs, a pharmacy, and a post office for passengers’ convenience.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is used mainly for charter flights and low-cost airlines. It has a more basic range of facilities and services compared to Terminal 1, but still offers a comfortable and efficient travel experience. Passengers can access Terminal 2 via a shuttle bus service that runs between the two terminals. Overall, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport’s terminals provide a convenient and modern gateway to the beautiful island of Sicily.
3. Wizz Air
6. Blue Air
8. Air Malta
11. Norwegian Air Shuttle
13. TUI Airways
15. Air Italy
18. Air Arabia
20. Pegasus Airlines.
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is one of the busiest airports in Italy, serving millions of passengers every year. As such, the airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. The security measures are in line with the regulations set by the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO) and the European Union Aviation Safety Agency (EASA).
The security protocols at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport include a combination of physical and technological measures. Passengers are required to go through security screening before entering the departure area. The screening process includes the use of X-ray machines and metal detectors to detect any prohibited items such as weapons, explosives, and liquids over 100ml. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before going through the screening process.
In addition to the physical screening, the airport also uses advanced technology such as full-body scanners to detect any hidden items that may not be detected by the metal detectors. The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring the airport premises and responding to any security threats. Overall, the security protocols at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport are designed to ensure the safety and security of all passengers and staff, and to prevent any potential security threats from occurring.
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is one of the busiest airports in Italy, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience, the airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services. These services are designed to cater to the needs of all types of travelers, including those with disabilities, families with children, and elderly passengers.
One of the most important traveler’s assistance services offered at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is the special assistance service. This service is available for passengers with reduced mobility, visual or hearing impairments, and other disabilities. The airport provides trained staff and specialized equipment to assist these passengers throughout their journey, from check-in to boarding and disembarking.
For families with children, the airport offers a range of facilities and services to make their travel experience more comfortable. These include baby changing rooms, play areas, and strollers that can be borrowed free of charge. The airport also has a dedicated family lane at security checkpoints, which allows families to pass through security more quickly and easily.
Elderly passengers can also benefit from the traveler’s assistance services at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport. The airport provides wheelchair assistance, priority boarding, and other services to help elderly passengers navigate the airport and board their flights with ease. Overall, the traveler’s assistance services at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport are designed to make travel more accessible and enjoyable for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is a bustling hub for travelers in Sicily, Italy. The airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Here are some of the top shops and restaurants you can find at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport:
1. Sicilia Outlet Village – This shop offers a wide range of products, including clothing, accessories, and souvenirs.
2. Duty-Free – This shop offers a variety of tax-free products, including perfumes, cosmetics, and alcohol.
3. Relay – This shop offers a range of products, including newspapers, magazines, and snacks.
4. Swarovski – This shop offers a range of jewelry and accessories made with Swarovski crystals.
5. Terranova – This shop offers a range of clothing and accessories for men, women, and children.
1. Autogrill – This restaurant offers a range of Italian dishes, including pizza, pasta, and sandwiches.
2. Caffè Vergnano – This restaurant offers a range of coffee, tea, and pastries.
3. McDonald’s – This restaurant offers a range of fast food options, including burgers, fries, and soft drinks.
4. Puro Gusto – This restaurant offers a range of Italian dishes, including pizza, pasta, and salads.
5. Spizzico – This restaurant offers a range of Italian dishes, including pizza, pasta, and sandwiches.
Overall, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Whether you’re looking for a quick bite to eat or some last-minute shopping, you’re sure to find what you need at this airport.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to pray or meditate during their travels. These areas are located in various parts of the airport and are easily accessible to all passengers. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport:
1. Chapel – The airport chapel is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all passengers who wish to pray or meditate.
2. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all Muslim passengers who wish to pray.
3. Catholic Prayer Room – The Catholic prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all Catholic passengers who wish to pray.
4. Orthodox Prayer Room – The Orthodox prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all Orthodox passengers who wish to pray.
5. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all passengers who wish to pray or meditate, regardless of their faith.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and other necessary items for prayer and meditation. They are also kept clean and well-maintained for the comfort of passengers.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels. Here are some of the key features:
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and access their emails, social media, and other online services.
Workspaces: For those who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers several dedicated workspaces. These include a business lounge, which provides a quiet and comfortable environment with desks, chairs, and power outlets. There are also several cafes and restaurants with seating areas that are suitable for working.
Charging stations: To ensure that passengers can keep their devices charged, the airport has installed numerous charging stations throughout the terminal. These include both standard power outlets and USB ports.
Printing and scanning: The airport provides printing and scanning facilities for passengers who need to print out documents or scan them for digital storage. These services are available at the business lounge and other locations throughout the terminal.
Overall, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to meet the needs of modern travelers. Whether you need to work, study, or simply stay connected, you can do so easily and conveniently at this airport.
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport offers a range of lounge options for travelers to relax in while they wait for their flight. Here is a list of the lounges available at the airport and their respective locations:
- VIP Lounge: Located in Hall A, after the duty free area.
- Sala Amica Lounge: Located in Hall A, after the duty free area.
- Sala Vip Lounge: Located in Hall B, after the duty free area.
- Sala Amica Plus Lounge: Located in Hall B, after the duty free area.
- Tirrenia VIP Lounge: Located in Hall C, after the duty free area.
- Blue Air VIP Lounge: Located in Hall D, after the duty free area.
Accomodation Options Nearby Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport, located in Sicily, Italy, offers a range of accommodation options suitable for all budgets. Whether you are seeking a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious experience, this airport has something to offer to every traveler. Here are some of the accommodation options available:
1. Budget Hotels:
– Hotel Miramare: Situated just a short distance from the airport, this hotel offers comfortable rooms with modern amenities at affordable prices.
– B&B Catania Aeroporto: A convenient choice for those on a tight budget, this bed and breakfast provide cozy rooms and basic facilities.
2. Mid-Range Hotels:
– NH Catania Parco degli Aragonesi: This hotel boasts spacious rooms, friendly staff, and a delicious breakfast buffet. It is perfect for those seeking a comfortable stay without breaking the bank.
– Romano Palace Luxury Hotel: Offering elegant rooms and a range of amenities, including a swimming pool and a fitness center, this hotel provides a delightful mid-range option for travelers.
3. Luxury Hotels:
– Four Points by Sheraton Catania Hotel: With its stylish décor, luxurious rooms, and a rooftop pool offering breathtaking views, this hotel provides a premium experience for discerning travelers.
– UNA Hotel Palace: This 5-star hotel offers spacious rooms with stunning sea views, a wellness center, and a restaurant serving gourmet cuisine, making it an ideal choice for a luxurious stay.
4. Airport hotels:
– Airone Hotel: Located just a short distance from the airport terminal, this hotel offers comfortable rooms, a restaurant, and free shuttle service to and from the airport, ensuring a hassle-free stay.
– Hotel Romano House: Situated within walking distance of the airport, this boutique hotel offers tastefully decorated rooms, excellent service, and a complimentary airport shuttle service.
These accommodation options cater to a range of budgets and preferences, offering travelers a variety of choices when staying at Catania-Fontanarossa Airport. Whether you are in transit, exploring the beautiful city of Catania, or awaiting your next flight, you can find suitable accommodation to make your stay enjoyable and convenient.
1. Mount Etna: Standing majestically on the eastern coast of Sicily, Mount Etna is one of the most active volcanoes in the world. Visitors can enjoy hiking, guided tours, and stunning views of the volcanic landscape.
2. Catania Old Town: Located just a short drive from the airport, Catania’s historic city center is a UNESCO World Heritage Site. Its baroque architecture, bustling markets, and lively atmosphere offer visitors a glimpse into Sicily’s rich culture and history.
3. Piazza del Duomo: Situated in the heart of Catania, this vibrant square is surrounded by several iconic landmarks, including the cathedrals of Santa Agata and Sant’Agata al Carcere. The statue of the city’s patron saint, Saint Agatha, takes center stage in the square.
4. Roman Amphitheater: Discover the ancient ruins of the Roman Theatre, the second-largest amphitheater in Sicily. Located just a short distance from the airport, this historic site hosts cultural events and offers panoramic views of the city and Mount Etna.
5. Cyclopean Isles: Located near Aci Castello, these picturesque islands are known for their stunning coastal landscapes and the Norman Castle overlooking the waters. Take a boat tour or stroll along the promenade to fully appreciate the beauty of this natural gem.
6. Greek-Roman Theater of Taormina: A short drive from the airport, this ancient theater offers a unique cultural experience. Visitors can explore the well-preserved ruins, attend live performances, and enjoy breathtaking views of the sea and Mount Etna.
7. Ortygia Island: An enchanting gem, this small island is connected to the mainland by three bridges and offers a charming labyrinth of narrow streets, baroque architecture, and picturesque squares. Highlights include the stunning Cathedral Square and the Fountain of Arethusa.
8. Siracusa: A historic city renowned for its Greek ruins and medieval architecture, Siracusa is a must-visit destination near Catania. Explore the archaeological park of Neapolis, browse the vibrant local markets, and soak in the beauty of the island of Ortigia.
9. Caltagirone: Famous for its ceramic production, this hilltop town showcases exquisite craftsmanship and vibrant pottery. The town’s most iconic feature is the Scalinata di Santa Maria del Monte, a monumental staircase adorned with colorful, hand-painted tiles.
10. Acireale: Nestled between Catania and Taormina, this coastal town is known for its stunning Baroque architecture, lovely gardens, and the famous Carnival of Acireale. Wander through the historic center, visit the stunning Basilica di San Sebastiano, or relax on the nearby beach.
History of Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is located in the city of Catania, Sicily, Italy. The airport was originally built in the 1920s as a military airfield. During World War II, it was used by the Allied forces as a base for their operations in the Mediterranean. After the war, the airport was converted into a civilian airport and opened to the public in 1948.
Over the years, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to accommodate the growing number of passengers. In 1981, a new terminal was built to handle the increasing traffic. In 2007, a second terminal was added to the airport, which increased its capacity to 10 million passengers per year.
Today, Catania-Fontanarossa Airport is one of the busiest airports in Italy, serving millions of passengers every year. It is a hub for several airlines, including Alitalia, Ryanair, and EasyJet. The airport is also an important gateway to the island of Sicily, which is known for its rich history, culture, and natural beauty.
Other Airports in Sicily, Italy
- Catania-Fontanarossa Airport
- Comiso Airport
- Falcone–Borsellino Airport
- Lampedusa Airport
- Palermo-Boccadifalco Airport
- Pantelleria Airport
- Sigonella Navy Air Base
- Vincenzo Florio Airport Trapani-Birgi