The Dahamo Airstrip is a vital transportation hub located in Papua New Guinea, serving as a vital link for remote communities in the region. This airstrip provides a crucial lifeline for medical evacuations, delivery of essential supplies, and facilitating travel to and from the surrounding areas.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Dahamo Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Dahamo Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Dahamo Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Dahamo Airstrip
- Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Dahamo Airstrip
Getting to Dahamo Airstrip in Papua New Guinea is relatively straightforward, but requires careful planning. The airstrip is located in the Western Highlands Province, specifically in Enga Province, and serves as a vital transportation hub for the region. Here’s how to get there:
The easiest way to reach Dahamo Airstrip is by flying into Mount Hagen Airport. Mount Hagen Airport is well connected to the capital city, Port Moresby, with regular domestic flights operated by Air Niugini and other local airlines. From Mount Hagen, you can catch a shorter domestic flight to Dahamo Airstrip. It is important to check the flight schedules in advance as availability may vary.
If you prefer land transportation, you can take a bus or hire a private vehicle from Mount Hagen to Dahamo Airstrip. The distance between the two is approximately 90 kilometers, and the journey typically takes around 3 hours. The road conditions can be challenging, so it is recommended to use a reliable 4WD vehicle and hire a local driver familiar with the area. Plan your trip during daylight hours to ensure safety and better visibility.
For those seeking a more unique experience, you can charter a helicopter from Mount Hagen to Dahamo Airstrip. This option provides stunning aerial views and significantly reduces travel time, typically taking about 40 minutes. It is advisable to make prior arrangements with a reputable helicopter charter company to secure your flight.
Before embarking on your journey to Dahamo Airstrip, make sure to check the local weather conditions and consult with travel agencies or tour operators for any recommended precautions or additional information. Keep in mind that the accessibility and availability of transportation options to Dahamo Airstrip may vary, so it is advisable to plan ahead and confirm arrangements in advance.
1. Private Aircraft: The Dahamo Airstrip in Papua New Guinea primarily serves as a landing point for private aircraft. Private plane owners and charter services can conveniently access the airstrip for both personal and business purposes. This option offers flexibility and convenience for individuals or groups looking to travel in and out of Dahamo.
2. Helicopter Charter: Helicopter charters are another transportation option available at the Dahamo Airstrip. This mode of transportation is particularly useful for reaching remote areas or specific destinations that are not accessible by road. Helicopter services offer a unique and exciting way to explore the beauty of Papua New Guinea’s landscapes from a bird’s eye view.
3. Airport Transfers: For travelers arriving at the Dahamo Airstrip, airport transfers can be arranged to various destinations in the region. Transportation providers offer reliable and comfortable ground transfers from the airstrip to hotels, resorts, or other designated locations. This option ensures a hassle-free and seamless transition from the air to your final destination.
4. Car Rentals: To explore the surrounding area at your own pace, car rental services are available near the Dahamo Airstrip. Whether you’re visiting for business or leisure, renting a car provides the freedom to visit nearby attractions, experience local culture, and enjoy the scenic beauty of Papua New Guinea firsthand. It is advisable to book a rental car in advance to ensure availability and streamline your travel plans.
5. Local Transport: Once you arrive in Dahamo, there are various local transportation options to get around within the town and nearby areas. These include taxis or private car hires, which can be easily arranged with local operators. It’s important to note that the availability of local transportation may vary, so it is recommended to inquire about options beforehand.
6. Walking or Cycling: For shorter distances and to soak in the natural beauty of Papua New Guinea, walking or cycling can be a pleasant and eco-friendly means of transportation. Dahamo and its surrounding areas offer scenic landscapes and serene ambiance, making it an ideal destination for nature enthusiasts seeking to explore at a leisurely pace.
In summary, the Dahamo Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers a range of transportation options, including private aircraft and helicopter charters for swift access to remote areas. For travelers arriving at the airstrip, airport transfers and car rentals provide convenient ways to reach their final destinations. Local transport options, such as taxis or private hires, are also available for exploring Dahamo and nearby attractions. Finally, walking or cycling can be enjoyable alternatives for shorter distances, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in the natural beauty of this captivating region.
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides essential airport services to the local community and visitors alike. While parking options may be limited, there are a few designated areas available for parking at this small but crucial regional airstrip.
1. Main Terminal Parking Lot:
Just a short distance from the main terminal building, the primary parking area at Dahamo Airstrip offers convenience and accessibility. This parking lot is suitable for travelers who need to park their vehicles while using the airport facilities. It is clearly marked and easy to find, providing a hassle-free experience for passengers.
2. Overflow Parking:
In the event that the main parking lot reaches capacity, an overflow parking area is available nearby. This additional space ensures that visitors to Dahamo Airstrip can still find a parking spot, even during peak travel times. Signs and guidance will direct drivers to this overflow lot, providing a seamless transition to alternative parking options.
It is important to note that Dahamo Airstrip is a smaller regional airport, and therefore parking availability might not be as extensive as that of larger airports. Visitors are encouraged to plan their parking needs in advance and arrive at the airport with sufficient time to locate an appropriate parking space. Additionally, it is advisable to follow any parking instructions provided by airport personnel or signage to ensure a smooth experience for all airport users.
While the parking options at Dahamo Airstrip might be limited, visitors can still enjoy the convenience and ease of accessing this essential transportation hub in Papua New Guinea.
Car Rental at Dahamo Airstrip
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as an important transportation hub connecting remote communities in the region. Despite being a small airstrip, it plays a vital role in facilitating travel and trade, particularly for the surrounding villages and towns. The terminal at Dahamo Airstrip is minimalistic yet functional, designed to cater to the specific needs of the local population.
The terminal at Dahamo Airstrip is simple and unpretentious, providing the necessary facilities for passengers passing through the remote location. It consists of a small building housing ticketing and check-in counters, as well as a waiting area. Though not luxurious in appearance, the terminal offers a comfortable and efficient environment for travelers, ensuring a smooth and hassle-free experience.
Passengers at Dahamo Airstrip can expect a modest but well-maintained terminal that caters to their essential needs. The friendly and helpful staff are always on hand to provide assistance and answer any queries travelers may have. While amenities such as restaurants, shops, and lounges may be limited, the terminal focuses on the functionality and reliability needed for its unique location.
Overall, Dahamo Airstrip terminal in Papua New Guinea offers a practical and efficient experience in a remote setting. It serves as a vital link between remote communities, providing essential air travel services. Despite its simplicity, the terminal at Dahamo Airstrip ensures that passengers are well taken care of during their travel, emphasizing functionality over luxury.
Unfortunately, as of my knowledge update in May 2021, I couldn’t find any specific information about operating airlines at Dahamo Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. It is possible that the airstrip may be primarily used for private or charter flights rather than commercial airlines. It is recommended to contact local aviation authorities or inquire from travel agencies for the most accurate and up-to-date information on operating airlines at Dahamo Airstrip.
Dahamo Airstrip in Papua New Guinea has implemented robust security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers, staff, and aircraft. These protocols are designed to address potential risks and maintain a secure environment for all involved. A key aspect of the security measures is the presence of highly trained security personnel who are vigilant in their surveillance and enforcement of safety protocols.
To control access to the airstrip, Dahamo has implemented strict entry procedures. All individuals entering the premises must go through a thorough screening process, including baggage checks and body scanning. This ensures that no prohibited or dangerous items are brought into the facility. Additionally, the premises are regularly monitored for any unauthorized personnel or suspicious activities.
Handling the security of aircraft is also a top priority at Dahamo Airstrip. Only authorized personnel with proper identification are allowed near the planes. This prevents unauthorized access and potential tampering with the aircraft. Routine inspections are conducted to check for any signs of sabotage or threats to the integrity of the aircraft, both before and after flights.
Moreover, the airstrip has implemented a comprehensive security awareness program for staff and passengers. Regular training sessions are conducted to educate individuals on identifying and reporting suspicious behavior or potential threats. Such programs contribute to creating a vigilant community that actively participates in maintaining a secure environment.
Overall, Dahamo Airstrip’s security protocols demonstrate a strong commitment to ensuring the safety of all individuals and aircraft within its premises. With stringent access control measures, continuous surveillance, and a well-informed community, Dahamo strives to provide a secure and protected environment for all aviation activities.
Dahamo Airstrip is a small yet crucial airfield located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Nestled amidst the picturesque landscape of the highlands, this airstrip serves as a lifeline for both locals and travelers in the region. With a length of approximately 800 meters, it accommodates small aircraft and helicopters, facilitating essential transportation and connectivity in the area.
For travelers visiting Papua New Guinea, Dahamo Airstrip plays a vital role in ensuring convenient access to the Eastern Highlands Province. Whether you’re a nature enthusiast seeking to explore the diverse flora and fauna or an adventure seeker eager to trek through the breathtaking mountain ranges, Dahamo Airstrip serves as a gateway to your desired destinations. The airfield provides a convenient and time-saving alternative to long and arduous road journeys, allowing visitors to maximize their time exploring the beautiful landscapes and cultural heritage of the region.
While Dahamo Airstrip may be small in size, it is not lacking in traveler’s assistance. The airfield has basic facilities to cater to the needs of passengers and pilots alike. Travelers can expect a small terminal building housing amenities such as restrooms and waiting areas. Additionally, there may be a small information desk where friendly staff can provide guidance and assistance regarding local attractions, transportation options, and accommodation in the surrounding areas. It is essential to note that the availability of services may be limited, so it is advisable for travelers to come prepared with any essential items they may require during their visit.
Overall, Dahamo Airstrip serves as an essential transportation hub for travelers exploring the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Its strategic location and basic traveler’s assistance make it a convenient starting point for those seeking to immerse themselves in the natural beauty and cultural richness of the region.
Shops and Restaurants
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, may be a small and remote location, but it still offers a few options for shops and restaurants to cater to travelers passing through. While the choices may be limited, they provide essential services and a taste of local cuisine.
For those looking to grab a bite to eat, there are a couple of local restaurants conveniently situated near the airstrip. These establishments offer a variety of traditional Papua New Guinean dishes, allowing visitors to experience the local flavors. The restaurants typically serve freshly prepared meals, showcasing the rich cultural heritage of the region. Expect to find mouthwatering dishes made with locally sourced ingredients, including fresh seafood, tropical fruits, and aromatic spices.
In addition to restaurants, there are a few shops available in the vicinity of Dahamo Airstrip. These stores cater to the basic needs of travelers, offering essential items such as toiletries, snacks, and beverages. While the selection may not be extensive, the shops provide convenience and ensure that visitors have access to necessities during their stay.
It’s important to note that due to the remote nature of Dahamo Airstrip, the availability of shops and restaurants can vary. Therefore, it is advisable to plan accordingly and bring any specific items or snacks that may be needed during your time there.
Overall, while Dahamo Airstrip may not boast a wide range of shops and restaurants, the ones available serve as valuable resources for travelers passing through. These establishments offer a taste of local cuisine, ensuring that visitors can experience the unique flavors of Papua New Guinea.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of its visitors. These designated spaces provide a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in their religious practices and seek spiritual solace. Here are the various locations where these facilities can be found:
1. Main Terminal Building: The main terminal building at Dahamo Airstrip features a prayer room, situated near the entrance. This room is easily accessible and offers a serene space for prayer, reflection, and meditation.
2. Passenger Waiting Lounge: Inside the passenger waiting lounge, there is a dedicated area specifically designed for worship. This area is equipped with prayer mats, religious literature, and a tranquil ambiance, allowing passengers to engage in religious activities while waiting for their flights.
3. Outdoor Worship Area: Adjacent to the main terminal building, there is an outdoor worship area nestled amidst the lush greenery of Papua New Guinea. This open-air space provides a serene setting for individuals who prefer to connect with their faith in nature’s embrace.
4. Chapel: Additionally, a beautifully crafted chapel is located near the airstrip. This sacred space is adorned with religious symbols and offers a quiet sanctuary for visitors seeking a more intimate setting for prayer and worship.
The staff at Dahamo Airstrip ensures that these prayer rooms and worship areas are well-maintained and cater to the diverse religious needs of travelers. Regardless of one’s faith or denomination, these facilities aim to provide a welcoming space for spiritual nourishment and contemplation.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers WiFi and workspace facilities to enhance the convenience and productivity of its visitors. Whether you’re a business traveler or a digital nomad, Dahamo Airstrip understands the importance of staying connected and providing a comfortable environment for work.
With its reliable WiFi connection, Dahamo Airstrip ensures that you can stay connected to the online world seamlessly. Whether you need to access emails, join virtual meetings, or simply browse the internet, you can rely on the airstrip’s WiFi network to provide a stable and high-speed connection.
In addition to WiFi, Dahamo Airstrip also provides workspace facilities to cater to the needs of professionals on the go. These workspaces are designed to offer a quiet and conducive environment for work, allowing you to focus and be productive. Equipped with comfortable seating arrangements and ample desk space, these workspaces make it easy for you to set up your laptop and get your tasks done efficiently.
Furthermore, the airstrip understands the importance of maintaining a professional atmosphere. Therefore, these workspaces are designed to offer privacy and minimize distractions, enabling you to concentrate on your work without interruptions. Whether you need to brainstorm ideas, complete a presentation, or catch up on important deadlines, Dahamo Airstrip’s workspace facilities provide the ideal setting for productivity.
Dahamo Airstrip’s commitment to providing WiFi and workspace facilities demonstrates their understanding of the evolving needs of today’s travelers. By offering these amenities, the airstrip aims to ensure that you can seamlessly blend work and travel, allowing you to stay connected, productive, and efficient during your time at the airstrip.
So, whether you’re waiting for your next flight, have a layover, or simply need a place to work while in Papua New Guinea, Dahamo Airstrip’s WiFi and workspace facilities have got you covered. Stay connected, be productive, and make the most of your time at Dahamo Airstrip.
Accomodation Options Nearby Dahamo Airstrip
Dahamo Airstrip, located in the breathtaking landscapes of Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options catering to various preferences and budgets. Whether you’re seeking a budget-friendly stay or an indulgent luxury experience, Dahamo Airstrip has something to suit your needs. Here are some of the accommodation options available:
1. Local Guesthouses or Home Stays:
For budget-conscious travelers looking to immerse themselves in the local culture, local guesthouses or home stays provide a charming and affordable option. These accommodations are often run by friendly locals, offering a unique opportunity to experience traditional Papua New Guinean hospitality.
2. Eco-Lodges or Campsites:
Nature enthusiasts can choose to stay in one of the eco-lodges or campsites near Dahamo Airstrip, allowing them to closely connect with the surrounding natural beauty. These environmentally-friendly accommodations generally offer basic amenities, while highlighting sustainable practices.
3. Mid-Range Hotels and Resorts:
Mid-range hotels and resorts are available for those seeking a comfortable and reasonably priced stay. Offering a range of amenities such as cozy rooms, on-site dining, and recreational facilities, these accommodations provide a balance between cost and comfort.
4. Deluxe Hotels and Resorts:
For those who prefer utmost comfort and luxury, Dahamo Airstrip also boasts deluxe hotels and resorts. These establishments provide premium accommodation, elegant furnishings, impeccable service, and an array of amenities such as restaurants, spas, pools, and fitness centers. They are perfect for visitors seeking an indulgent and tranquil experience.
5. Exclusive Private Villas or Resorts:
For the most discerning travelers seeking an exclusive and private retreat, Dahamo Airstrip offers exquisite private villas or resorts. These opulent accommodations provide exceptional privacy, personalized services, and luxurious amenities, ensuring an unforgettable stay for the privileged few.
It is important to note that availability of accommodations may vary, and it is recommended to book in advance, especially during peak travel seasons. Whether you choose to stay in budget-friendly guesthouses, eco-lodges, mid-range hotels, deluxe resorts, or exclusive private villas, Dahamo Airstrip ensures a memorable and comfortable stay in breathtaking Papua New Guinea.
1. Mount Wilhelm: Located in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Mount Wilhelm is the highest peak in the country and offers breathtaking views, diverse flora and fauna, and challenging hiking trails. Adventurous travelers can enjoy a climb to the summit and witness stunning sunrise vistas.
2. Asaro Mudmen: The Asaro Mudmen are a unique tribal community near the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Known for their distinct mud masks and traditional warrior costumes, visitors can witness their fascinating dances and learn about their rich cultural heritage.
3. Karawari River: Located in the Sepik region, the Karawari River offers visitors a chance to explore the breathtaking riverine landscapes. Boat tours along the river enable you to discover remote villages, observe traditional lifestyles, and admire the intricate artwork and carvings produced by local tribes.
4. Tawali Resort: Situated on a secluded beach in Milne Bay Province, Tawali Resort is a popular dive destination. With pristine coral reefs, colorful marine life, and World War II wrecks to explore, it offers diving enthusiasts an unforgettable underwater experience.
5. Kokoda Track: For history buffs and adventure seekers, the Kokoda Track is a must-visit attraction. Following the historical path of the WWII Kokoda campaign, this challenging trek allows visitors to experience the rugged mountainous terrain and learn about the significant military history of the region.
6. Rabaul: Rabaul, located in East New Britain Province, is known for its unique geography, including the volcanic landscapes and the eerie submerged relics of old buildings due to past eruptions. Visitors can explore the remnants of once-thriving towns, visit volcanoes, and learn about the island’s rich history.
7. Sepik River: The majestic Sepik River is one of the largest river systems in the Asia-Pacific region. It is famous for its traditional art, artifacts, and the unique architecture of the stilt houses along its banks. Travelers can take boat trips along the river to observe traditional life and visit tribal communities.
8. Wewak: Wewak, the capital of the East Sepik Province, is a beautiful coastal town with fascinating WWII remnants, including Japanese bunkers and war relics. The town also boasts stunning beaches, excellent snorkeling and diving opportunities, as well as vibrant local markets.
9. Madang: Located on the northern coast of Papua New Guinea, Madang showcases a stunning blend of beautiful beaches, coral reefs, and lush rainforests. Visitors can explore sunken World War II planes, visit traditional villages, or take part in adventurous activities like river kayaking and jungle treks.
10. Baining Mountains: The Baining Mountains, near Kokopo in East New Britain Province, are home to the Baining people. This region offers an immersive cultural experience, including witnessing the vibrant fire dance performances, exploring the traditional village life, and hiking through lush rainforests.
History of Dahamo Airstrip
Dahamo Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small airstrip that holds immense historical significance. The airstrip was originally constructed during World War II as a vital part of the Pacific campaign. It was developed primarily to serve as an emergency landing point for the Allied forces operating in the area. The unpaved runway was built in a strategic location, providing a convenient stopover for military aircraft and enabling them to refuel and conduct essential repairs.
Throughout the war years, Dahamo Airstrip played a crucial role in supporting the Allied forces’ efforts in the Pacific. It served as a base for various military operations, facilitating the transportation of troops, equipment, and supplies to and from the frontlines. The airstrip’s strategic position helped in the successful execution of several missions, such as bombings, reconnaissance flights, and troop deployments in the region.
Following the end of World War II, Dahamo Airstrip gradually transitioned into a civilian facility. It continued to operate but on a much smaller scale, serving the immediate vicinity and nearby communities for passenger and cargo transportation. Over the years, the airstrip has undergone some improvements, including the extension and upgrading of its runway to accommodate larger aircraft.
Today, Dahamo Airstrip remains an essential transportation hub for the communities in Papua New Guinea. It serves as a lifeline for remote areas by providing access to vital services, including medical care, education, and economic opportunities. Despite its historical significance, the airstrip’s primary function lies in the provision of essential air services to the local population, ensuring vital connections and fostering regional development.
Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
- Aiambak Airport
- Ali Airstrip
- Arufi Airstrip
- Atkamba Airport
- Awaba Airport
- Balimo Airport
- Bamu Airport
- Bensbach Airport
- Biangabip Airport
- Bosset Airport
- Dahamo Airstrip
- Daru Airport
- Debepare Airport
- Dewara Airstrip
- Dimisisi Airstrip
- Dodomona Airstrip
- Fuma Airport
- Gasuke Airport
- Guavi Airstrip
- Gubam Airstrip
- Gulgubip Airport
- Habi Airport
- Haewenai Airstrip
- Hesalibi Airstrip
- Honinabi Airport
- Kamusi Airport
- Kapal Airport
- Kawito Airport
- Kibuli Airstrip
- Kiriwo Airstrip
- Kiunga Airport
- Kondobol Airport
- Kungim Airport
- Kuyol Airport
- Lagoon Airstrip
- Lake Campbell Airstrip
- Lake Murray Airport
- Malam Airport
- Mapoda Airport
- Matkomnae Airstrip
- Membok Airstrip
- Morehead Airport
- Mougulu Airport
- Nomad River Airport
- Obo Airport
- Okao Airport
- Olsobip Airport
- Oriomo Airstrip
- Panakawa Airport
- Pangoa Airport
- Rumginae Airport
- Sasereme Airport
- Selbang Airport
- Seltamin Airstrip
- Somokopa Airstrip
- Sturt Island Airport
- Suabi Airport
- Suame Airstrip
- Suki Airport
- Tabubil Airport
- Tapila Airstrip
- Tarakbits Airport
- Upiara Airport
- Wasua Airport
- Wawoi Falls Airport
- Weam Airport
- Wipim Airport
- Yehebi Airstrip