Emirau Airport, located on the small island of Emirau in Papua New Guinea, is a key transport hub serving the local population and visitors alike. With its strategic location in the Bismarck Sea, the airport offers essential connectivity, facilitating travel to and from this remote and picturesque destination.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Emirau Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Emirau Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Emirau Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Emirau Airport
- Other Airports in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Emirau Airport
Emirau Airport is located on a remote island in Papua New Guinea. While it may not be directly accessible by international flights, reaching the airport can be achieved through a combination of air and sea travel. Here is a concise guide on how to get to Emirau Airport:
1. International Flight: First, fly to the capital city of Papua New Guinea, Port Moresby. Numerous international airlines operate flights to Port Moresby’s Jacksons International Airport.
2. Domestic Flight: From Port Moresby, book a domestic flight to Hoskins or Rabaul airports. Airlines such as Air Niugini and PNG Air offer regular flights to these regional airports.
3. Ferry or Charter: Once you have reached Hoskins or Rabaul, take a ferry or charter a boat to Emirau Island. The journey duration and availability may vary depending on weather conditions and local arrangements. Ensure to check with local transport providers beforehand.
4. Ground Transport: After reaching Emirau Island, ground transport to the Emirau Airport is often available. Private car hires or taxis may be arranged to take you to the airport, which is located within a reasonable distance from the main settlement area.
Note: It is essential to consider the local transportation infrastructure, weather patterns, and logistical factors when planning your journey to Emirau Airport. It is also recommended to verify the current transportation options in advance, as they may be subject to change.
Emirau Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options for travelers to choose from. Whether you’re arriving at or departing from this airport, you can easily find a suitable mode of transportation to meet your needs.
1. Taxi Services: Taxis are readily available at Emirau Airport, providing a convenient option for those looking to reach their desired destination quickly and comfortably. Reliable and licensed taxi operators are stationed at the airport, ensuring safe and efficient transportation for passengers. Taxis can be easily hailed from the designated taxi rank outside the terminal building.
2. Car Rentals: For travelers seeking more flexibility and independence during their stay in Papua New Guinea, car rental services are available at Emirau Airport. Various reputable car rental agencies offer a range of vehicles to suit different budgets and preferences. Renting a car provides the freedom to explore the surrounding areas at your own pace and convenience.
3. Hotel Shuttles: Many hotels in the vicinity of Emirau Airport provide complimentary shuttle services to and from the airport for their guests. This option allows for a hassle-free transfer to your accommodation, eliminating the need to arrange separate transportation upon arrival. It is recommended to check with your hotel in advance to confirm the availability and schedule of their shuttle service.
4. Public Transportation: Although public transportation options may be limited in the immediate vicinity of Emirau Airport, buses and minibusses operate on nearby routes, connecting various towns and cities throughout Papua New Guinea. This mode of transportation may require some planning and research to ensure you have accurate information on routes and schedules.
5. Walking or Cycling: If you’re staying in close proximity to the airport or don’t have a large amount of luggage, walking or cycling may be a viable transportation option. Emirau Airport is located in a relatively small area, and the surrounding region may offer scenic paths or trails to explore on foot or bike. However, it is important to consider safety and local regulations before choosing this option.
As with any travel destination, it is advisable to plan and prepare for transportation options in advance to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey. Familiarize yourself with the available choices and consider factors such as convenience, budget, and personal preferences when selecting the transportation mode that best suits your needs at Emirau Airport.
Emirau Airport in Papua New Guinea offers convenient car parking facilities for travelers. Here are the locations of the car parking areas:
1. Short-Term Parking Lot: Located directly in front of the main terminal building, the short-term parking lot provides a hassle-free parking option for those who plan on staying at the airport for a short duration. This lot is ideal for dropping off or picking up passengers, as it is easily accessible and just steps away from the terminal entrance.
2. Long-Term Parking Lot: Situated adjacent to the terminal building, the long-term parking lot offers a secure parking solution for travelers who need to leave their vehicles at the airport for an extended period. Whether you’re going on a vacation or on a business trip, this lot provides peace of mind knowing that your vehicle will be safely parked.
3. Economy Parking Area: This budget-friendly parking space is located slightly further away from the terminal building but still within a reasonable walking distance. It offers affordable rates for longer stays, making it an excellent choice for those seeking to save on parking expenses.
4. Disabled Parking Spaces: For individuals with disabilities, Emirau Airport provides designated parking spaces conveniently located near the terminal entrance. These spots are designated to accommodate individuals with mobility difficulties, ensuring ease of access to the airport facilities.
Please note that all parking areas at Emirau Airport are well-maintained and monitored to ensure the safety of vehicles. It is advisable to plan your parking needs in advance and familiarize yourself with the different parking options available to choose the one that best suits your requirements.
Car Rental at Emirau Airport
Emirau Airport is a domestic airport located in the Manus Province of Papua New Guinea. Serving as an important transportation hub for the region, the airport provides connections to various destinations within the country. Emirau Airport features a single terminal building, which efficiently handles passenger traffic and facilitates air travel operations in the area.
The terminal at Emirau Airport offers a comfortable and hassle-free experience for travelers. Its compact design ensures that all necessary facilities are easily accessible and conveniently organized. Inside the terminal, passengers will find check-in counters, security checkpoints, and luggage handling services, ensuring a smooth journey from arrival to departure. Emirau Airport prioritizes customer convenience, providing amenities such as seating areas, restrooms, and a small selection of shops and cafes where travelers can relax and grab refreshments.
The staff at Emirau Airport are known for their friendly and helpful approach, ensuring that visitors feel welcomed and attended to during their time at the terminal. The airport also boasts efficient and reliable flight services, allowing passengers to travel seamlessly to their desired destinations. Emirau Airport is an essential facility for both locals and tourists, connecting them to the larger transportation network of Papua New Guinea and serving as a gateway to explore the natural beauty and cultural richness of the Manus Province.
The Emirau Airport in Papua New Guinea does not have any commercial airlines operating at the moment. It is primarily used for general aviation and private charters.
Emirau Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, ensures the safety and security of its passengers and airport facilities through a series of robust security protocols. These measures are designed to mitigate risks, enhance traveler safety, and maintain the overall integrity of the airport.
At Emirau Airport, strict access controls are implemented to regulate entry to restricted areas. Different security levels are established to determine who is authorized to access certain sections of the airport. This helps prevent unauthorized individuals from entering sensitive areas, ensuring the safety and privacy of airport operations.
Additionally, Emirau Airport employs advanced technology for baggage screening. Baggage undergoes thorough x-ray scanning to detect any prohibited items or potential threats. This process helps prevent the transportation of dangerous items on board and maintains the safety of passengers and their belongings.
Furthermore, the airport maintains a visible security presence by employing well-trained security personnel. These professionals are equipped to handle various security situations and continuously monitor the premises for any suspicious activities. Their presence not only deters potential threats but also assures passengers that their safety is a top priority.
Emirau Airport’s security protocols align with international standards and regulations, ensuring the highest level of safety. By employing strict access controls, advanced baggage screening, and well-trained security personnel, Emirau Airport provides a secure environment for travelers, ultimately making their journey safe and hassle-free.
Emirau Airport, located on the Emirau Island in Papua New Guinea, serves as a gateway for travelers visiting this picturesque region. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and convenient journey for all passengers. From the moment you step off the plane, friendly airport staff are available to guide and assist you with any queries or concerns you may have.
The airport provides essential amenities such as baggage handling and assistance with check-in procedures, making the transition from plane to terminal hassle-free. Additionally, Emirau Airport offers currency exchange facilities, allowing travelers to conveniently convert their money upon arrival. This ensures that visitors can easily access the local currency and make necessary payments throughout their stay.
For those in need of transportation, Emirau Airport offers car rental services, enabling travelers to explore the island at their own pace. Additionally, airport staff can assist in arranging taxis or other modes of transportation to nearby destinations. This ensures that visitors can easily access popular tourist spots, local attractions, and accommodations without any inconvenience.
In terms of safety and security, Emirau Airport maintains high standards to ensure the well-being of all passengers. The airport adheres to strict security protocols, with dedicated personnel and surveillance systems in place. Travelers can enjoy peace of mind knowing that their safety is a top priority at Emirau Airport.
In summary, Emirau Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to enhance the overall experience of visitors. Whether it’s providing guidance, facilitating currency exchange, arranging transportation, or ensuring security, the airport staff is committed to making your journey seamless and enjoyable.
Shops and Restaurants
Emirau Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers passing through. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack, a refreshing drink, or a souvenir to take home, the airport has you covered.
For those in need of a caffeine fix, there is a cozy coffee shop conveniently located within the airport. Here, you can enjoy a freshly brewed cup of coffee, espresso, or a variety of other hot beverages to energize you before your journey.
If you’re feeling hungry, Emirau Airport has a selection of restaurants that serve both local and international cuisine. From traditional Papua New Guinean dishes to familiar favorites, there is something to satisfy every palate. Enjoy a hearty meal featuring local ingredients or opt for a lighter option such as sandwiches or salads.
For travelers looking to pick up some last-minute souvenirs or essentials, there are several shops available at Emirau Airport. Browse through a range of local handicrafts, clothing, and accessories to take home a piece of Papua New Guinea with you. Additionally, you can find convenience stores where you can purchase travel necessities such as toiletries, snacks, and reading materials.
The airport also offers duty-free shopping, allowing you to take advantage of tax-free prices on a variety of products such as electronics, perfumes, and alcohol. This is a great opportunity to find a special gift or treat yourself to something luxurious.
Overall, Emirau Airport aims to provide a pleasant and convenient experience for travelers. With its selection of shops and restaurants, you can enjoy a taste of Papua New Guinea and find everything you need for a comfortable journey.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Emirau Airport in Papua New Guinea provides convenient facilities for prayer and worship to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. The airport ensures that passengers have access to quiet spaces where they can engage in religious activities. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Emirau Airport:
1. Interfaith Prayer Room:
Located near the departure gates, the Interfaith Prayer Room at Emirau Airport is a dedicated space for individuals of different religious backgrounds. This room allows passengers to pray, meditate, or reflect in a peaceful and inclusive environment. It is designed to accommodate various religious practices and offers a serene atmosphere for spiritual contemplation.
2. Christian Chapel:
Adjacent to the airport terminal, the Christian Chapel is a dedicated place of worship for Christians. This chapel is adorned with religious symbols and provides a tranquil setting for prayer and worship. It caters specifically to Christian travelers who wish to engage in religious rituals or attend services before their flights.
3. Islamic Prayer Room:
Emirau Airport also houses an Islamic Prayer Room, conveniently located within the terminal premises. This prayer room is designed to meet the needs of Muslim passengers who require a designated space for their daily prayers. Equipped with necessary facilities, it offers a quiet and clean environment for Muslims to fulfill their religious obligations.
4. Meditation Area:
For those seeking a space for personal reflection or meditation, Emirau Airport provides a Meditation Area. Situated near the airport’s lounges, this area offers a peaceful retreat where passengers can find solace and contemplate in a calm environment. It is open to individuals of all faiths or those who simply desire a moment of tranquility.
Emirau Airport understands the importance of spirituality and respects the diverse religious preferences of its travelers. By offering these prayer rooms and worship areas, the airport ensures that passengers can uphold their religious practices and find comfort during their journey.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Emirau Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of its passengers. While the airport strives to provide a comfortable experience, it is important to note that the available facilities may not be as extensive as those found in larger airports.
WiFi connectivity is available at Emirau Airport, allowing passengers to stay connected and access the internet. However, due to the remote location of the airport, the WiFi connection may be slower and less reliable compared to what one might expect in urban areas. It is advisable to have alternative means of entertainment or work in case the WiFi service is not up to one’s expectations.
In terms of workspace facilities, Emirau Airport provides a limited number of seating areas and tables where passengers can work or catch up on their tasks. These spaces are generally located in the waiting areas and are equipped with basic amenities like power outlets, allowing passengers to charge their electronic devices. However, it is important to note that these workspaces may be limited in number and might not be specifically designated for work purposes.
Passengers seeking a more dedicated workspace environment may find it challenging to find suitable options at Emirau Airport. Given the airport’s smaller size and limited facilities, it may be more practical to bring along personal work materials or devices for a more comfortable work experience during layovers or delays.
Overall, while Emirau Airport in Papua New Guinea does offer WiFi connectivity and basic workspace facilities, passengers should be prepared for limitations and potential connectivity issues. It is advisable to have alternative means of entertainment or work to ensure a smooth and productive experience while at the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Emirau Airport
1. Local Guesthouses and Homestays: Emirau Airport offers budget-friendly accommodation options in the form of local guesthouses and homestays. These options allow travelers to experience the warm hospitality and immerse themselves in the local culture. While the amenities might be basic, the local charm and affordability make them an attractive choice for budget-conscious travelers.
2. Bed and Breakfasts: There are several cozy bed and breakfast establishments near Emirau Airport, offering comfortable lodging with a homely atmosphere. These accommodations typically include complimentary breakfast and provide a more personal touch, catering to individual needs and preferences.
3. Holiday Houses and Apartment Rentals: For those seeking a more independent and self-catering experience, holiday houses and apartment rentals can be found near Emirau Airport. These options are ideal for families or groups as they provide the flexibility of cooking your meals and ample space to relax and unwind.
4. Mid-range Hotels: While Emirau Airport may not offer a wide variety of mid-range hotel options, there are a few establishments that provide comfortable and reasonably priced accommodations. These hotels usually include essential amenities such as comfortable beds, private bathrooms, air conditioning, and in-house dining options.
5. Luxury Resorts: For travelers seeking a more luxurious experience, there are a couple of high-end resorts near Emirau Airport. These resorts boast stunning beachfront locations, well-appointed rooms and villas, world-class amenities, spa facilities, swimming pools, and fine dining options. Guests can indulge in pampering treatments, enjoy breathtaking views, and savor exquisite cuisine.
Please note that Emirau Airport is a small regional airport, and the range of accommodation options may be limited compared to larger tourist destinations. It is advisable to book accommodation in advance and check availability as per your travel dates.
1. Tolak River: Located near Emirau Airport, the picturesque Tolak River offers visitors a serene and enchanting experience. Its crystal-clear waters, lush surrounding vegetation, and abundant birdlife make it perfect for nature enthusiasts and birdwatchers.
2. Dallman Harbor: This scenic harbor is an ideal spot for fishing enthusiasts. With its calm waters and rich marine life, Dallman Harbor is perfect for a day of peaceful fishing or simply enjoying the tranquil beauty of Papua New Guinea’s coastline.
3. Emirau Island: Only a short boat ride away from Emirau Airport, Emirau Island is a tropical paradise waiting to be explored. With its pristine white sandy beaches, turquoise waters, and vibrant coral reefs, this island is a snorkeler’s dream.
4. Queen Emma’s Cave: Near Emirau Airport, Queen Emma’s Cave offers a unique opportunity to dive into Papua New Guinea’s rich history. Named after the wife of a British governor, this cave served as a hideout for local villagers during World War II and is adorned with ancient cave paintings and intriguing artifacts.
5. Turtle Island: Another nearby natural attraction, Turtle Island is a nesting ground for various turtle species. Visitors can witness these magnificent creatures laying their eggs or watch as the hatchlings make their way to the sea. Guided tours are available to ensure the experience respects the turtles’ natural habitat.
6. Wunimbawiwa Island: This small uninhabited island near Emirau Airport is known for its stunning coral gardens. Snorkelers and divers can explore its vibrant underwater world, teeming with colorful fish and breathtaking marine biodiversity.
7. Balloon Cave: A short boat ride south of Emirau Airport, Balloon Cave offers an extraordinary sight. With its soaring limestone rock formations and uniquely shaped stalactites, this cave is a wonder to behold. It’s an adventure awaiting those who love exploring natural wonders.
8. Pak Island: For those seeking seclusion and tranquility, Pak Island is an ideal destination. Offering unspoiled beaches and lush tropical vegetation, the island is an excellent spot for relaxation, picnics, or simply basking in the natural beauty of Papua New Guinea.
9. Sunken Aircraft Wreck: Close to Emirau Airport lies the remains of a World War II aircraft submerged in crystal-clear waters. Snorkelers and divers can explore the wreckage and witness its transformation into an artificial coral reef, providing refuge for countless marine species.
10. Bialla Hot Springs: Located a short drive from Emirau Airport, Bialla Hot Springs is a natural spa where visitors can unwind and rejuvenate. Surrounded by lush rainforest, these naturally heated thermal pools offer a soothing experience that perfectly complements a day of exploration.
History of Emirau Airport
Emirau Airport, located on the remote Emirau Island in Papua New Guinea, holds a significant place in the history of the region. Constructed during World War II by the United States Navy, it served as a crucial airbase for the Allied forces. The airport played a pivotal role in the Battle of Emirau, which took place from March to May 1944.
Originally, Emirau Island was identified by the US military as a strategic location to establish an airbase to support their operations in the Pacific campaign against Japanese forces. Construction of the airport began in January 1944 and was completed within a remarkably short span of time. Emirau Airport became operational by March 1944 and was equipped with a runway, hangars, and support facilities to house fighter planes and bombers.
During the Battle of Emirau, the airport was used as a base for Allied aircraft to launch attacks on Japanese positions on nearby islands. The successful outcome of this battle marked a turning point in the Allied campaign, as it effectively neutralized the threat posed by Japanese forces in the region. Following the end of the war, Emirau Airport lost its strategic importance, and its military facilities were gradually deactivated.
In recent years, Emirau Airport has undergone modernization efforts to support the growing tourism and trade sectors in the surrounding region. While it may not have the prominence it once held during wartime, the airport remains an essential transportation link for visitors and residents of Emirau Island. With its rich historical significance and natural beauty, Emirau Airport continues to serve as a reminder of the crucial role it played in shaping the events of the past.
Other Airports in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea
- Boang Airport
- Eloaua Airstrip
- Emirau Airport
- Kavieng Airport
- Londolovit Airport
- Malekolon Airport
- Manga Airport
- Mapua Airport
- Mussau Airport
- Namatanai Airport
- Puas Airport
- Silur Airport
- Simberi Airport