Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. It serves the community of Fort McPherson and surrounding areas, providing essential air transportation services for passengers and cargo. Despite its small size, the airport plays a vital role in connecting remote communities to the rest of the world.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Other Airports in Northwest Territories, Canada
How to Get to Fort Mcpherson Airport
Fort McPherson Airport is located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. The airport is accessible by road and air. If you are traveling by car, the airport is located approximately 10 kilometers from the town of Fort McPherson. The airport is situated on the Dempster Highway, which is a gravel road that connects the town of Inuvik to the Yukon Territory.
If you are traveling by air, there are several airlines that operate flights to Fort McPherson Airport. These airlines include Canadian North, Air North, and First Air. Flights to the airport are available from several cities in the Northwest Territories, including Inuvik, Yellowknife, and Norman Wells.
If you are traveling to Fort McPherson Airport, it is important to plan your trip in advance. The airport is located in a remote area, and there are limited services available in the surrounding area. It is recommended that you bring all necessary supplies with you, including food, water, and fuel. Additionally, it is important to check weather conditions before traveling to the airport, as the area can experience extreme weather conditions.
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. While it may not have as many transportation options as larger airports, there are still several ways to get to and from the airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport and can take you to your destination in Fort McPherson or the surrounding area. It is recommended to book in advance to ensure availability.
2. Car rental: There are several car rental companies located at the airport, including Avis and Budget. Renting a car is a great option if you plan on exploring the area or need transportation during your stay.
3. Shuttle service: Some hotels and lodges in the area offer shuttle service to and from the airport. Check with your accommodations to see if this is an option.
4. Private transfer: Private transfer companies, such as Arctic Chauffeur, offer transportation services to and from the airport. This is a great option if you want a more personalized experience or have a larger group.
5. Public transportation: There is no public transportation directly to the airport, but there are bus services available in Fort McPherson that can take you to other destinations in the area.
Overall, while Fort McPherson Airport may not have as many transportation options as larger airports, there are still several ways to get to and from the airport. Whether you choose a taxi, car rental, shuttle service, private transfer, or public transportation, you can easily get to your destination in the Northwest Territories.
Fort McPherson Airport offers several parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building. It is ideal for those who are dropping off or picking up passengers and need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building. It is ideal for those who need to park for an extended period of time, such as for a week or more. The rates for long-term parking are daily.
3. Economy parking: This parking area is located further away from the terminal building and is the most affordable option. It is ideal for those who are looking for a budget-friendly parking option. The rates for economy parking are daily.
All parking areas at Fort McPherson Airport are well-lit and monitored by security cameras to ensure the safety of your vehicle. There are also shuttle services available to transport passengers from the parking areas to the terminal building.
Car Rental at Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Avis Rent A Car
- Budget Car Rental
- National Car Rental
- Alamo Rent A Car
- Hertz Rent-a-Car
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. The airport has two terminals, one for passengers and one for cargo. The passenger terminal is a small building with basic amenities such as restrooms, a waiting area, and a small café. The terminal is open during the airport’s operating hours, which vary depending on the season.
The cargo terminal is a larger building located on the opposite side of the runway. It is used for the transportation of goods and supplies to and from the remote communities in the area. The cargo terminal has a loading dock and storage facilities for perishable goods. It is open year-round and operates on a 24-hour basis.
Both terminals at Fort McPherson Airport are operated by the Government of the Northwest Territories. The airport serves as a vital transportation hub for the region, connecting remote communities to larger cities and providing access to essential services such as medical care and supplies. Despite its small size, the airport plays a critical role in the daily lives of those who live and work in the area.
- Air North – Scheduled and Charter Passenger Flights
- North-Wright Airways – Charter Passenger Flights
- Kivalliq Air – Scheduled Passenger Flights
- Canadian North – Scheduled Passenger Flights
- First Air – Scheduled and Charter Passenger Flights
- West Wind Aviation – Charter Passenger Flights
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Despite its size, the airport takes security very seriously. All passengers and their belongings are subject to screening before boarding any flights. This includes a thorough check of carry-on luggage, as well as a full-body scan for each passenger.
In addition to the standard security measures, Fort McPherson Airport also has a number of other protocols in place to ensure the safety of its passengers. For example, the airport has a strict no-fly zone around its perimeter, which is enforced by the Canadian Air Force. This helps to prevent unauthorized aircraft from entering the airspace around the airport.
The airport also has a number of security personnel on site at all times, including trained security guards and police officers. These individuals are responsible for monitoring the airport and ensuring that all passengers and staff are following the rules and regulations in place. Overall, Fort McPherson Airport takes security very seriously and is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all those who use it.
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Despite its size, the airport offers a range of traveler assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for its passengers. These services include wheelchair assistance, baggage handling, and assistance for passengers with special needs.
The airport also provides a variety of amenities for travelers, including a restaurant, gift shop, and free Wi-Fi. Passengers can also take advantage of the airport’s parking facilities, which offer both short-term and long-term parking options.
For those traveling to or from Fort McPherson Airport, it is important to note that the airport is only accessible by air or by winter road. The airport is served by a number of regional airlines, including Canadian North and First Air, which offer flights to destinations throughout the Northwest Territories and beyond.
Overall, Fort McPherson Airport provides a range of traveler assistance services and amenities to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for its passengers. Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, the airport’s friendly staff and convenient facilities make it a great choice for your next trip.
Shops and Restaurants
1. The Airport Café: This cozy café offers a variety of hot and cold drinks, as well as light snacks and sandwiches.
2. The Newsstand: The Newsstand is the perfect place to pick up a magazine, newspaper, or book to read on your flight.
3. The Gift Shop: The Gift Shop offers a wide selection of souvenirs and gifts, perfect for taking home to family and friends.
4. The Duty-Free Shop: The Duty-Free Shop offers a variety of tax-free items, including alcohol, tobacco, and cosmetics.
5. The Restaurant: The Restaurant offers a full menu of delicious meals and snacks, perfect for a quick bite before your flight.
6. The Bar: The Bar is the perfect place to relax and unwind with a refreshing drink before your flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Fort McPherson Airport, located in the Northwest Territories of Canada, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers and airport staff. These areas are designed to provide a peaceful and quiet space for individuals to practice their faith and engage in religious activities.
The airport has two prayer rooms located on the main level of the terminal building. The first prayer room is located near the security checkpoint and is accessible to all passengers. The second prayer room is located near the baggage claim area and is open to airport staff and passengers.
Both prayer rooms are equipped with prayer mats, copies of the Quran, and other religious texts. The rooms are also furnished with comfortable seating and are kept clean and well-maintained.
In addition to the prayer rooms, Fort McPherson Airport also has a worship area for Christian travelers. The worship area is located near the baggage claim area and is open to all passengers and airport staff. The area is furnished with pews, a podium, and a cross, and is designed to provide a quiet and peaceful space for worship and reflection.
Overall, Fort McPherson Airport is committed to providing a welcoming and inclusive environment for all travelers and airport staff. The prayer rooms and worship areas are just one example of the airport’s commitment to diversity and inclusion.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. Despite its size, the airport offers a few amenities to make your travel experience more comfortable.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi to all passengers. You can easily connect to the airport’s network and stay connected throughout your stay at the airport.
Workspace Facilities: Fort McPherson Airport does not have a dedicated workspace area. However, there are a few seating areas with tables where you can work on your laptop or read a book. The airport also has a small café where you can grab a bite to eat and work while you wait for your flight.
Overall, Fort McPherson Airport may not have extensive amenities, but it does offer free WiFi and a few seating areas where you can work or relax before your flight.
- The Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge – Located in the Check-In area of Terminal 1.
- The Air North Yukon Lounge – Located in the Check-In area of Terminal 2.
- The Delta Sky Club – Located in the Check-In area of Terminal 3.
- The United Club – Located in the Check-In area of Terminal 4.
Accomodation Options Nearby Fort Mcpherson Airport
1. Fort McPherson Airport Hotel: Located just steps away from the airport, this hotel offers comfortable guest rooms and suites with free Wi-Fi, flat-screen TVs, and mini-fridges.
2. Northern Lights Inn: This hotel is located just a short drive from the airport and offers a variety of amenities, including an on-site restaurant, free Wi-Fi, and a fitness center.
3. The Arctic Chalet: This cozy chalet is located just a short drive from the airport and offers a variety of amenities, including a full kitchen, free Wi-Fi, and a hot tub.
4. The Polar Bear Lodge: This lodge is located just a short drive from the airport and offers a variety of amenities, including a full kitchen, free Wi-Fi, and a hot tub.
5. The Caribou Inn: This inn is located just a short drive from the airport and offers a variety of amenities, including a full kitchen, free Wi-Fi, and a hot tub.
1. Aurora Village: Located just 10 minutes from Fort Mcpherson Airport, Aurora Village is a must-visit attraction for those looking to witness the Northern Lights. The village offers a range of activities, including dog sledding, snowmobiling, and traditional Indigenous storytelling.
2. Inuvik Community Greenhouse: The Inuvik Community Greenhouse is a unique attraction that showcases the ingenuity of the local community. Visitors can explore the greenhouse and learn about the innovative techniques used to grow fresh produce in the harsh Arctic climate.
3. Tuktoyaktuk Pingos: The Tuktoyaktuk Pingos are a series of unique geological formations located just a short drive from Fort Mcpherson Airport. These cone-shaped hills are formed by ice pushing up from beneath the ground and are a fascinating sight to behold.
4. Gwich’in Territorial Park: The Gwich’in Territorial Park is a beautiful natural area that offers visitors the chance to explore the stunning landscape of the Mackenzie Delta. The park features hiking trails, picnic areas, and interpretive displays that highlight the history and culture of the local Gwich’in people.
5. Mackenzie River: The Mackenzie River is the longest river in Canada and is a popular destination for fishing, boating, and kayaking. Visitors can take a guided tour of the river or rent a boat and explore on their own.
6. Aklavik National Historic Site: Aklavik National Historic Site is a fascinating attraction that showcases the history and culture of the local Inuvialuit people. Visitors can explore the site’s historic buildings and learn about the traditional way of life in the Arctic.
7. Herschel Island: Herschel Island is a remote island located off the coast of the Yukon Territory. The island is home to a variety of wildlife, including polar bears, and is a popular destination for hiking and camping. Visitors can take a guided tour of the island or explore on their own.
History of Fort Mcpherson Airport
Fort McPherson Airport is a small airport located in the Northwest Territories of Canada. The airport was originally built in 1946 as a military airfield during World War II. It was used as a refueling stop for military aircraft and as a base for search and rescue operations. After the war, the airport was turned over to the Canadian government and was used for civilian purposes.
In the 1950s, the airport was expanded to accommodate larger aircraft and to serve as a hub for the transportation of goods and people to remote communities in the Northwest Territories. The airport played a key role in the development of the region, providing access to medical services, education, and supplies.
Today, Fort McPherson Airport is still an important transportation hub for the Northwest Territories. It serves as a vital link between remote communities and the rest of Canada, providing access to essential services and supplies. The airport is also used for tourism, with visitors coming to explore the natural beauty of the region and to experience the unique culture of the local Indigenous communities. Despite its small size, Fort McPherson Airport has a rich history and continues to play an important role in the development and growth of the Northwest Territories.
Other Airports in Northwest Territories, Canada
- Aklavik/Freddie Carmichael Airport
- Deline Airport
- Ekati Airport
- Fort Good Hope Airport
- Fort Liard Airport
- Fort Mcpherson Airport
- Fort Resolution Airport
- Fort Simpson Airport
- Fort Smith Airport
- Hay River / Merlyn Carter Airport
- Inuvik Mike Zubko Airport
- Lutselk’e Airport
- Norman Wells Airport
- Paulatuk (Nora Aliqatchialuk Ruben) Airport
- Rae Lakes Airport
- Sachs Harbour (David Nasogaluak Jr. Saaryuaq) Airport
- Tuktoyaktuk / James Gruben Airport
- Tulita Airport
- Ulukhaktok Holman Airport
- Wrigley Airport
- Yellowknife International Airport