Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. It serves as a vital transportation hub for the local community, providing connections to other remote areas of the Arctic. Despite its size, the airport plays an important role in supporting the region’s economy and way of life.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Gjoa Haven Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Gjoa Haven Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Gjoa Haven Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Gjoa Haven Airport
- Other Airports in Nunavut, Canada
How to Get to Gjoa Haven Airport
Gjoa Haven Airport is located in Nunavut, Canada, and is the main airport serving the community of Gjoa Haven. To get to Gjoa Haven Airport, you can take a flight from Yellowknife or Cambridge Bay. Both cities have regular flights to Gjoa Haven, and the flight time is approximately 2 hours.
If you are traveling from Yellowknife, you can take a flight with Canadian North or First Air. The airport is located about 10 kilometers from the town center, and you can take a taxi or arrange for a shuttle service to get to the airport.
If you are traveling from Cambridge Bay, you can take a flight with Canadian North or Calm Air. The airport is located about 5 kilometers from the town center, and you can take a taxi or arrange for a shuttle service to get to the airport.
It is important to note that Gjoa Haven is a remote community, and flights to the airport may be subject to weather conditions. It is recommended that you check with the airline before traveling to ensure that your flight is still scheduled.
Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. Despite its size, there are a few transportation options available for travelers arriving or departing from this airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport and can be hailed outside the terminal building. They are a convenient option for those who want to travel directly to their destination without any stops. However, they can be expensive, so it’s best to negotiate the fare before getting in.
2. Rental Cars: There are no car rental agencies located at the airport, but some companies offer rental cars in Gjoa Haven. It’s best to book in advance to ensure availability.
3. Public Transit: There is no public transit system in Gjoa Haven, so this option is not available.
4. Walking: For those who are staying nearby, walking is a viable option. The airport is located in the center of town, so many hotels and other accommodations are within walking distance.
5. Private Shuttle: Some hotels and tour operators offer private shuttle services to and from the airport. This is a convenient option for those who want to avoid the hassle of negotiating with taxi drivers or renting a car.
Overall, while transportation options are limited in Gjoa Haven, there are still a few options available for travelers. Taxis and private shuttles are the most convenient options, while walking is a good choice for those staying nearby.
Gjoa Haven Airport offers limited car parking facilities for passengers and visitors. The parking area is located adjacent to the airport terminal building, providing easy access to the airport.
The car parking area at Gjoa Haven Airport is a gravel lot that can accommodate a limited number of vehicles. It is located on the north side of the airport terminal building, just a few steps away from the entrance. The parking area is clearly marked and easily accessible from the main road leading to the airport.
Passengers and visitors are advised to arrive early to secure a parking spot, especially during peak travel periods. The airport does not offer reserved parking spaces, and parking is available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Parking at Gjoa Haven Airport is free of charge, and there are no time restrictions on how long vehicles can be parked. However, passengers are advised to remove their vehicles from the parking area as soon as possible after their flight to make room for other passengers.
Overall, Gjoa Haven Airport’s car parking facilities are basic but convenient, providing easy access to the airport terminal building for passengers and visitors.
Car Rental at Gjoa Haven Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- National Car Rental
- Alamo Rent A Car
- Budget Car Rental
- Avis Rent A Car
- Hertz Rent A Car
Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. The airport has two terminals, one for passenger arrivals and departures and the other for cargo shipments. The passenger terminal is a small building with basic amenities such as restrooms, waiting areas, and a small snack bar. The terminal is designed to accommodate a limited number of passengers and is not equipped with advanced facilities such as duty-free shops or restaurants.
The cargo terminal is a separate building located adjacent to the passenger terminal. It is used for the shipment of goods and supplies to and from the remote community of Gjoa Haven. The cargo terminal is equipped with loading docks, storage facilities, and other equipment necessary for the efficient handling of cargo. The cargo terminal is an essential part of the airport infrastructure as it supports the local economy by facilitating the transportation of goods and supplies to the community.
Overall, Gjoa Haven Airport is a small but important transportation hub for the remote community of Gjoa Haven. The airport terminals are designed to meet the basic needs of passengers and cargo shipments, and they play a vital role in supporting the local economy. Despite its small size, Gjoa Haven Airport is an essential part of the transportation network in the Nunavut territory and serves as a lifeline for the people living in the remote northern communities.
- First Air: Serving Iqaluit, Ottawa, Montreal, Rankin Inlet, Cambridge Bay, Yellowknife, Kugluktuk and Inuvik.
- North-Wright Airways: Serving Gjoa Haven, Taloyoak, Cambridge Bay, and Ulukhaktok.
- Air Tindi: Serving Yellowknife, Norman Wells, and Inuvik.
Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. Despite its small size, the airport takes security very seriously. All passengers and their luggage are screened before boarding their flights. This includes a thorough check of all carry-on and checked baggage, as well as a personal search of each passenger.
In addition to the standard security measures, Gjoa Haven Airport also has a number of unique protocols in place. Due to the remote location of the airport, there are strict rules about what can and cannot be brought onto the plane. For example, passengers are not allowed to bring any firearms or ammunition on board, and there are restrictions on the amount of alcohol that can be brought onto the plane.
The airport also has a number of security personnel on site at all times. These individuals are responsible for monitoring the airport and ensuring that all security protocols are being followed. They are also trained to respond to any security threats that may arise. Overall, Gjoa Haven Airport takes security very seriously and is committed to ensuring the safety of all passengers and staff.
Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. Despite its size, the airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for all passengers.
One of the most important traveler’s assistance services offered at Gjoa Haven Airport is wheelchair accessibility. The airport has wheelchair ramps and designated parking spaces for disabled passengers. Additionally, airport staff are trained to assist passengers with disabilities and provide any necessary support.
Another important service offered at Gjoa Haven Airport is baggage assistance. Passengers can request assistance with their luggage from airport staff, who will help them load and unload their bags from the aircraft. This service is particularly helpful for elderly passengers or those with mobility issues.
Finally, Gjoa Haven Airport offers a range of amenities to make the travel experience more comfortable. These include a comfortable waiting area, restrooms, and vending machines. Passengers can also access free Wi-Fi while waiting for their flight.
Overall, Gjoa Haven Airport is committed to providing excellent traveler’s assistance services to ensure a stress-free travel experience for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Gjoa Haven Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy.
-Gjoa Haven Airport Gift Shop: Offers souvenirs, books, magazines, snacks, and other items.
-Northern Store: Offers a wide selection of groceries, clothing, and other items.
-Tundra Cafe: Offers a variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as light snacks.
-Kitsaki Cafe: Offers a selection of hot and cold meals, as well as snacks.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
1. Gjoa Haven Airport Prayer Room: Located in the main passenger terminal, the Prayer Room offers a peaceful space for those wishing to meditate and pray. The room is open 24/7 and is equipped with prayer mats, a Qur’an, and other religious items.
2. Gjoa Haven Airport Worship Area: Located in the main passenger terminal, the Worship Area is a designated area for those wishing to engage in religious activities, such as prayer and reflection. The area is open 24/7 and features comfortable seating, religious artwork, and a variety of religious materials.
3. Gjoa Haven Airport Multi-Faith Room: Located in the main passenger terminal, the Multi-Faith Room offers a space for people of all faiths to come together and pray. The room features comfortable seating, religious artwork, a variety of religious materials, and a Qur’an. The room is open 24/7.
4. Gjoa Haven Airport Meditation Room: Located in the main passenger terminal, the Meditation Room offers a peaceful space for those wishing to reflect and meditate. The room is open 24/7 and is equipped with comfortable seating, religious artwork, and a variety of religious materials.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Gjoa Haven Airport, located in Nunavut, Canada, offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities for its passengers.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access to its passengers. However, due to the remote location of the airport, the internet connection may be slow and unreliable at times.
Workspace: The airport does not have a designated workspace area for passengers. However, there are a few seating areas available where passengers can work on their laptops or other devices. These seating areas are equipped with power outlets for charging electronic devices.
Overall, while Gjoa Haven Airport does offer some basic WiFi and workspace facilities, passengers should be prepared for limited connectivity and a lack of dedicated workspace areas.
- The Haven Lounge – Located in the Gjoa Haven Airport, this lounge offers comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
- The North Star Lounge – Located in the Gjoa Haven Airport, this lounge offers comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
- The Flight Deck Lounge – Located in the Gjoa Haven Airport, this lounge offers comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
Accomodation Options Nearby Gjoa Haven Airport
1. Gjoa Haven Hotel: Located just a short walk from the airport, the Gjoa Haven Hotel offers comfortable and affordable accommodation for travelers.
2. Gjoa Haven Campground: Located just a few minutes from the airport, the Gjoa Haven Campground offers a variety of camping sites for those looking to explore the area.
3. Gjoa Haven Bed & Breakfast: Located just a short drive from the airport, the Gjoa Haven Bed & Breakfast provides a cozy and comfortable stay for travelers.
4. Gjoa Haven Inn: Located just a few minutes from the airport, the Gjoa Haven Inn offers a variety of rooms and suites for those looking for a more luxurious stay.
5. Gjoa Haven Hostel: Located just a few minutes from the airport, the Gjoa Haven Hostel provides a budget-friendly option for travelers.
Gjoa Haven Airport is located in the beautiful and remote community of Gjoa Haven, Nunavut, Canada. Despite its remote location, there are several attractions near the airport that are worth visiting. Here are some of them:
1. Gjoa Haven Heritage Centre: This museum is located just a few minutes’ drive from the airport and showcases the history and culture of the Inuit people. Visitors can learn about the famous explorer Roald Amundsen, who spent two winters in Gjoa Haven during his expedition to the North Pole.
2. Northwest Passage Territorial Park: This park is located about 10 km from the airport and offers stunning views of the Arctic landscape. Visitors can hike, camp, and enjoy the natural beauty of the area.
3. King William Island: This island is located just off the coast of Gjoa Haven and is known for its rich history and wildlife. Visitors can take a boat tour to explore the island and see polar bears, beluga whales, and other Arctic animals.
4. Traditional Inuit Hunting and Fishing: Visitors can experience traditional Inuit hunting and fishing practices by taking a guided tour with a local Inuit guide. This is a unique opportunity to learn about the Inuit way of life and their deep connection to the land and sea.
5. Aurora Borealis: Gjoa Haven is located in the Arctic Circle, which makes it an ideal location to see the Northern Lights. Visitors can take a guided tour to see this natural wonder and learn about the science behind it.
Overall, Gjoa Haven Airport and its surrounding area offer a unique and unforgettable experience for visitors who are looking to explore the Arctic landscape and learn about the Inuit culture and history.
History of Gjoa Haven Airport
Gjoa Haven Airport is a small airport located in the Nunavut territory of Canada. The airport was originally built in the 1950s as a landing strip for the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) and was later expanded to accommodate larger aircraft. The airport is named after the nearby community of Gjoa Haven, which is located on King William Island.
In the early 1900s, the area around Gjoa Haven was explored by Norwegian explorer Roald Amundsen, who used the area as a base for his expedition to the North Pole. The airport played a significant role in supporting Amundsen’s expedition, as it provided a vital link between the remote community and the outside world.
Today, Gjoa Haven Airport serves as an important transportation hub for the region, providing access to essential services and supplies for the local community. The airport is also used by tourists and researchers who come to explore the area’s rich history and natural beauty. Despite its remote location, Gjoa Haven Airport continues to play an important role in connecting the people of Nunavut with the rest of Canada and the world.
- Alert Airport
- Arviat Airport
- Baker Lake Airport
- Cambridge Bay Airport
- Cape Dorset Airport
- Chesterfield Inlet Airport
- Clyde River Airport
- Coral Harbour Airport
- Gjoa Haven Airport
- Grise Fiord Airport
- Hall Beach Airport
- Igloolik Airport
- Iqaluit Airport
- Kimmirut Airport
- Kugaaruk Airport
- Kugluktuk Airport
- Naujaat Airport
- Pangnirtung Airport
- Pond Inlet Airport
- Qikiqtarjuaq Airport
- Rankin Inlet Airport
- Resolute Bay Airport
- Sanikiluaq Airport
- Taloyoak Airport
- Whale Cove Airport