Gran Canaria Airport is the main airport on the island of Gran Canaria, located in the Canary Islands, Spain. It is a modern and well-equipped airport that serves millions of passengers every year, connecting the island to various destinations across Europe and beyond.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Gran Canaria Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Gran Canaria Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Gran Canaria Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Gran Canaria Airport
- Other Airports in Canary Islands, Spain
How to Get to Gran Canaria Airport
Gran Canaria Airport is located on the east coast of the island, approximately 18 kilometers south of the capital city of Las Palmas. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by car, bus, or taxi.
If you are driving to the airport, take the GC-1 motorway and follow the signs for the airport. There are several car parks available at the airport, including short-term and long-term options.
Alternatively, there are several bus routes that connect the airport to various parts of the island. The most convenient bus route is the number 60, which runs between the airport and Las Palmas. Other bus routes include the number 5, which runs between the airport and Maspalomas, and the number 66, which runs between the airport and Telde.
Finally, if you prefer to take a taxi, there are several taxi ranks located outside the airport terminal. Taxis are available 24 hours a day and can take you to any destination on the island. It is recommended to agree on a fare with the driver before starting the journey.
Gran Canaria Airport, also known as Las Palmas Airport, is the main airport serving the island of Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands, Spain. There are several transportation options available for travelers to get to and from the airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The journey to the city center takes around 20 minutes and costs approximately €30.
2. Bus: The Global Bus Company operates several bus routes from the airport to various destinations on the island. The bus stop is located outside the arrivals terminal, and tickets can be purchased from the driver or at the ticket office inside the terminal.
3. Car Rental: Several car rental companies have desks located inside the airport terminal, making it easy to rent a car and explore the island at your own pace.
4. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available for those who prefer a more personalized and comfortable mode of transportation. These services can be booked in advance and offer door-to-door service.
5. Public Transport: The airport is also accessible by public transport, with several bus routes connecting the airport to other parts of the island. However, this option may not be the most convenient for travelers with luggage.
Overall, there are several transportation options available at Gran Canaria Airport, making it easy for travelers to get to their destination quickly and conveniently.
Gran Canaria Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. General Car Park: This is the main car park at Gran Canaria Airport and is located just a short walk from the terminal building. It offers both covered and uncovered parking spaces and is open 24 hours a day.
2. Express Car Park: This car park is located just a few steps away from the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for a short period of time. It offers covered parking spaces and is open 24 hours a day.
3. Long Stay Car Park: This car park is located a bit further away from the terminal building, but it offers affordable rates for those who need to park for an extended period of time. It offers both covered and uncovered parking spaces and is open 24 hours a day.
4. VIP Car Park: This car park is located right next to the terminal building and is ideal for those who want to park their car in a secure and convenient location. It offers covered parking spaces and is open 24 hours a day.
5. Disabled Parking: Gran Canaria Airport offers designated parking spaces for disabled travelers in all of its car parks. These spaces are located close to the terminal building and are easily accessible.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short period of time or an extended period, there is a car park that will meet your needs.
Car Rental at Gran Canaria Airport
Gran Canaria Airport, also known as Las Palmas Airport, is the largest airport in the Canary Islands and the fifth busiest airport in Spain. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are located in the same building. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles most of the airport’s traffic, while Terminal 2 is used for low-cost airlines and charter flights.
Terminal 1 has three levels and is divided into two areas: the public area and the airside area. The public area is where passengers can find check-in counters, baggage claim, shops, restaurants, and other services. The airside area is where passengers can access the boarding gates and the duty-free shops. The terminal has a modern design and offers a wide range of facilities, including free Wi-Fi, ATMs, currency exchange, and a VIP lounge.
Terminal 2 is smaller than Terminal 1 and has only one level. It is used by low-cost airlines and charter flights, and it has a more basic design and fewer facilities than Terminal 1. However, passengers can still find check-in counters, shops, and restaurants in Terminal 2. The terminal is connected to Terminal 1 by a covered walkway, and passengers can easily move between the two terminals.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport’s terminals offer a comfortable and efficient travel experience for passengers. The airport has a good range of facilities and services, and the terminals are well-organized and easy to navigate. Whether you are traveling for business or leisure, Gran Canaria Airport’s terminals are a great starting point for your journey.
1. Aer Lingus
2. Air Europa
3. Air Berlin
4. Binter Canarias
5. British Airways
10. Norwegian Air Shuttle
12. Scandinavian Airlines
14. TUI Airways
15. Vueling Airlines
Gran Canaria Airport is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all passengers and staff. The airport has implemented a range of security protocols to ensure that all passengers and their belongings are screened thoroughly before boarding their flights. These protocols are in line with international aviation security standards and are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure their effectiveness.
Passengers are required to pass through security checkpoints before entering the boarding area. At these checkpoints, passengers are required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets, and place them in trays for screening. All carry-on luggage is also screened using X-ray machines, and any prohibited items are confiscated. Passengers are also required to pass through metal detectors, and any alarms triggered are investigated by security personnel.
In addition to these measures, Gran Canaria Airport also employs a range of other security measures, including CCTV surveillance, random bag checks, and the use of sniffer dogs to detect any prohibited items. The airport also works closely with law enforcement agencies to ensure that any potential security threats are identified and dealt with promptly.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport’s security protocols are designed to ensure the safety and security of all passengers and staff. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport in plenty of time to allow for the necessary security checks, and to ensure that they comply with all security regulations to avoid delays and inconvenience.
Gran Canaria Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience for all passengers. These services include assistance for passengers with reduced mobility, families with young children, and those who require special assistance.
For passengers with reduced mobility, the airport provides wheelchair assistance, accessible toilets, and designated parking spaces. The airport also has special assistance points located throughout the terminal, where passengers can request assistance or information.
Families with young children can take advantage of the airport’s baby changing facilities, children’s play areas, and family-friendly restaurants. The airport also offers strollers for rent, making it easier for families to navigate the terminal.
Passengers who require special assistance, such as those with visual or hearing impairments, can request assistance from the airport’s trained staff. The airport also provides braille signage and audio announcements to ensure that all passengers can navigate the terminal safely and easily.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as comfortable and convenient as possible for all passengers. Whether you require special assistance or simply need some help navigating the terminal, the airport’s friendly and knowledgeable staff are always on hand to assist you.
Shops and Restaurants
Gran Canaria Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Here are some of the options available:
– Duty-free shops: Passengers can enjoy tax-free shopping at the airport’s duty-free shops, which offer a wide range of products such as perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, tobacco, and souvenirs.
– Fashion and accessories: There are several shops selling clothing, accessories, and jewelry from popular brands such as Desigual, Mango, and Swarovski.
– Convenience stores: Passengers can find convenience stores selling snacks, drinks, and travel essentials such as magazines, books, and electronics.
– Cafes and bakeries: There are several cafes and bakeries at the airport, including Starbucks, Caffè di Fiore, and Dunkin’ Donuts, where passengers can enjoy a cup of coffee and a pastry before their flight.
– Fast food: For those in a hurry, there are several fast-food options such as Burger King, McDonald’s, and Subway.
– Restaurants: Passengers can also enjoy a sit-down meal at one of the airport’s restaurants, such as La Pausa, which offers a variety of Spanish and international dishes.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and enjoyable experience while waiting for their flights.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Gran Canaria Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to practice their faith or simply take a moment for reflection and meditation. Here are the locations of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Gran Canaria Airport:
1. Chapel: The airport chapel is located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the check-in area. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all passengers and airport staff.
2. Muslim Prayer Room: The Muslim prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the boarding gates. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for all Muslim passengers and airport staff.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the boarding gates. It is open 24 hours a day and is available for passengers of all faiths and airport staff.
All of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Gran Canaria Airport are equipped with prayer mats, copies of religious texts, and other necessary facilities to accommodate the needs of passengers. These spaces provide a peaceful and quiet environment for passengers to practice their faith or simply take a moment for reflection and meditation before their flight.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Gran Canaria Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and check their emails, social media, or browse the web. The WiFi is fast and reliable, making it easy to stay connected while waiting for a flight.
Workspace: For those who need to work while at the airport, there are several options available. The airport has a business center located in the departures area, which provides a quiet and comfortable space to work. The business center is equipped with desks, chairs, and power outlets, making it easy to set up a laptop and get to work.
In addition to the business center, there are also several cafes and restaurants throughout the airport that offer seating and tables where passengers can work. These areas are equipped with power outlets, making it easy to charge devices while working.
Overall, Gran Canaria Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities, ensuring that passengers can stay connected and productive while waiting for their flights.
Gran Canaria Airport offers a range of lounges to provide travelers with comfort and convenience. Here is a list of the available lounges, their locations, and what services they offer:
- Salon VIP Internacional: Located in the International Departures area, the Salon VIP Internacional offers a comfortable seating area, a bar, Wi-Fi, and a range of snacks and drinks.
- Salon VIP Nacional: Located in the National Departures area, the Salon VIP Nacional offers a comfortable seating area, a bar, Wi-Fi, and a range of snacks and drinks.
- Mandarina Lounge: Located in the International Departures area, the Mandarina Lounge offers a range of services, including Wi-Fi, a bar, snacks and drinks, and a quiet atmosphere.
- VIP Room: Located in the International Departures area, the VIP Room offers a comfortable seating area, Wi-Fi, and a range of snacks and drinks.
Accomodation Options Nearby Gran Canaria Airport
Gran Canaria Airport offers a range of accommodation options to suit all budgets and preferences, ensuring a comfortable stay for travelers. Whether you are seeking affordable lodgings or luxury accommodations, here are the options available at Gran Canaria Airport:
1. Airport Lounges: Perfect for short stays or layovers, airport lounges provide a comfortable space with amenities such as complimentary snacks, drinks, and Wi-Fi. Most lounges offer shower facilities and comfortable seating to help you relax before your flight.
2. Budget Hotels: Gran Canaria Airport is surrounded by numerous budget hotels that provide affordable accommodation options. These hotels offer basic facilities like clean rooms, comfortable beds, and sometimes complimentary breakfast. They are an ideal choice for those looking for a simple and economical stay.
3. Mid-range Hotels: For those who desire a bit more comfort and amenities, there are several mid-range hotels near Gran Canaria Airport. These hotels generally have larger rooms, additional facilities like swimming pools, fitness centers, restaurants, and bars. They offer a good balance between price and comfort.
4. Business Hotels: If you are on a business trip or require additional services like conference rooms or business centers, Gran Canaria Airport has some excellent business hotels. These hotels offer well-equipped meeting rooms, high-speed internet, and other business-oriented services to cater to the needs of business travelers.
5. Luxury Resorts: For a truly indulgent experience, several luxury resorts and five-star hotels are located near Gran Canaria Airport. These establishments feature lavish rooms, private villas, gourmet dining options, spa and wellness facilities, and stunning views. Pamper yourself with exceptional services and immerse yourself in the lap of luxury.
6. Apartments and Vacation Rentals: For travelers who prefer self-catering options or the privacy and freedom of a home-like experience, there are also various apartments and vacation rentals available near Gran Canaria Airport. These provide fully furnished accommodations with kitchens, living areas, and sometimes private pools, allowing guests to enjoy a home away from home.
Each accommodation option at Gran Canaria Airport has its own appeal, catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you are prioritizing value for money, convenience, or luxury, you will find a suitable place to stay near the airport.
1. Dunas de Maspalomas: Located just a short drive from Gran Canaria Airport, Dunas de Maspalomas is a stunning natural reserve with beautiful sand dunes that stretch along the coastline. It is an ideal spot for nature lovers and photographers.
2. Aqualand Maspalomas: Perfect for families and thrill-seekers, Aqualand Maspalomas is a water park with numerous slides, pools, and attractions. Spend a fun-filled day here, enjoying the thrilling water rides or relaxing in the sun.
3. Palmitos Park: Visitors to Gran Canaria Airport should not miss the chance to visit Palmitos Park, a beautiful botanical garden and zoo. It boasts an impressive variety of plants and animals, including exotic birds, dolphins, and butterflies.
4. Roque Nublo: For those who enjoy hiking and breathtaking panoramic views, a visit to Roque Nublo is a must. Standing at 80 meters tall, this volcanic rock formation is one of the most iconic landmarks on the island.
5. Puerto de Mogán: This charming fishing village, also known as “Little Venice,” offers picturesque streets, colorful houses, and a delightful marina. It is the perfect place to wander around, enjoy local cuisine, and soak up the relaxed atmosphere.
6. Vegueta: A trip to Vegueta, the historic district of Las Palmas de Gran Canaria, will transport you back in time. Stroll through its cobbled streets, visit the stunning cathedral, and explore the many restaurants, shops, and museums.
7. Playa de las Canteras: Considered one of the best urban beaches in the world, Playa de las Canteras is a stunning stretch of golden sand. With its calm waters, it is perfect for swimming, snorkeling, or simply relaxing and enjoying the beautiful surroundings.
8. Cueva del Viento: Located near Icod de los Vinos, this volcanic cave system is one of the largest in the world. Join a guided tour to explore its fascinating lava formations and learn about its geological history.
9. Holiday World: Fun for the whole family awaits at Holiday World, an amusement park in Maspalomas. From thrilling rides to arcade games and live entertainment, there is something for everyone here.
10. Las Canteras Promenade: Take a leisurely stroll along the beautiful promenade of Las Canteras, enjoying the views of the beach and the Atlantic Ocean. Along the way, you’ll find shops, cafes, and restaurants, making it the perfect spot to relax and people-watch.
History of Gran Canaria Airport
Gran Canaria Airport, also known as Las Palmas Airport, is the largest airport in the Canary Islands and the fifth busiest airport in Spain. The airport was opened in 1930 and was initially used for military purposes. In 1946, the airport was opened to commercial flights and has since undergone several expansions and renovations to accommodate the growing number of passengers.
In the 1960s, Gran Canaria Airport became a popular destination for tourists, and the airport played a significant role in the development of the tourism industry in the Canary Islands. The airport has continued to grow and expand over the years, with the addition of new terminals, runways, and other facilities.
In recent years, Gran Canaria Airport has become a hub for low-cost airlines, and it serves as a gateway to the popular tourist destinations of Gran Canaria, Fuerteventura, and Lanzarote. The airport is also an important hub for cargo and freight, with several airlines operating cargo flights to and from the airport. Overall, Gran Canaria Airport has a rich history and continues to play a vital role in the economic and social development of the Canary Islands.
Other Airports in Canary Islands, Spain
- Cesar Manrique-Lanzarote Airport
- El Hierro Airport
- Fuerteventura Airport
- Gran Canaria Airport
- La Palma Airport
- Tenerife Norte-Ciudad de La Laguna Airport
- Tenerife Sur Airport