Greymouth Airport, located in the scenic West Coast region of New Zealand, serves as the gateway to this beautiful part of the country. With its convenient location and modern facilities, the airport provides a seamless travel experience for both domestic and international visitors exploring the stunning landscapes and vibrant communities of Greymouth and its surrounding areas.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Greymouth Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Greymouth Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Greymouth Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Greymouth Airport
- Other Airports in West Coast Region, New Zealand
How to Get to Greymouth Airport
To get to Greymouth Airport in New Zealand, there are a few main transportation options available. If you are traveling from Greymouth town, the most convenient way is to take a taxi or drive your own vehicle. The airport is located about 15 kilometers southeast of the town center, and the drive generally takes around 20 minutes depending on traffic conditions.
If you prefer public transportation, you can catch a shuttle bus from the Greymouth i-SITE Visitor Information Centre. The shuttle service provides regular transfers to and from the airport, usually aligning with flight schedules. It is recommended to check the shuttle timetable in advance to ensure you arrive at the airport on time.
For travelers coming from further away, there is a railway station adjacent to Greymouth Airport. You can reach the station by taking a train from various cities across New Zealand, such as Christchurch, Dunedin, or even further afield Wellington and Auckland. Once at the railway station, the airport is just a short walk away.
Getting to Greymouth Airport is fairly straightforward, whether you choose a taxi, drive yourself, take a shuttle bus from the i-SITE Visitor Information Centre, or arrive by train at the adjacent railway station.
Greymouth Airport, located in the beautiful region of New Zealand’s West Coast, offers several transportation options for travelers looking to explore this stunning part of the country. Whether you’re arriving or departing, here are the various means of transportation available to make your journey convenient and comfortable:
1. Rental Cars: Greymouth Airport has rental car agencies conveniently situated on-site, allowing travelers to pick up a vehicle right after landing. Renting a car provides the freedom and flexibility to explore the West Coast at your own pace, with options ranging from compact cars to spacious SUVs.
2. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at Greymouth Airport to transport you to your desired destination. The taxi ranks can be found just outside the terminal building, making it easy to hop into a comfortable cab and be on your way. Taxis offer a convenient option for those without their own transportation or who prefer not to drive.
3. Shuttles: Greymouth Airport provides shuttle services that cater to the needs of individual travelers and larger groups. Shuttle companies offer shared or private transfers to various destinations, including Greymouth town, Punakaiki, Hokitika, Franz Josef, and Fox Glacier. This cost-effective option is perfect for those who prefer a more personalized service or want to travel together with fellow passengers.
4. Public Transport: For travelers seeking an affordable option, public transport is available near Greymouth Airport. Bus services connect the airport to Greymouth town and other nearby attractions, such as Punakaiki’s famous Pancake Rocks. This option allows you to experience the stunning West Coast scenery while mingling with locals and fellow travelers.
5. Airport Parking: If you have your own vehicle, Greymouth Airport offers convenient parking facilities. Both short-term and long-term parking options are available, allowing you to securely leave your vehicle while you travel. The airport’s parking areas are easily accessible and just a short walk from the terminal building.
As a transportation hub for the West Coast, Greymouth Airport ensures that travelers have a range of options to suit their needs. Whether you prefer the convenience of a rental car, the ease of a taxi, the affordability of public transport, the personalized service of a shuttle, or the comfort of your own vehicle, Greymouth Airport caters to a variety of travel preferences.
Greymouth Airport in New Zealand offers convenient car parking options for travelers. Located just minutes away from the terminal, the airport provides hassle-free parking facilities to ensure a smooth start to your journey.
The short-term parking area at Greymouth Airport is situated directly in front of the terminal building. This convenient location allows for quick access to check-in facilities. Whether you’re dropping off or picking up passengers, this parking option is ideal for short stays, as it offers easy accessibility and close proximity to the terminal.
For travelers in need of extended parking, Greymouth Airport provides a dedicated long-term parking lot. Located within a short walking distance from the terminal, this secure area offers ample space for vehicles of all sizes. Whether you’re going on a weekend getaway or embarking on a longer trip, the long-term parking option offers peace of mind for leaving your vehicle behind.
Greymouth Airport also offers designated parking spaces for people with disabilities. These specially marked spaces are conveniently located near the terminal entrance, providing easy access to the airport facilities. These parking spots are designed to ensure convenience and accessibility for individuals with mobility challenges.
In addition to its various parking options, Greymouth Airport offers a range of services to enhance the overall airport experience. These services include baggage assistance, shuttle services to and from the parking areas, and security patrols to ensure the safety of parked vehicles.
Whether you’re a short-term visitor or planning an extended trip, Greymouth Airport provides reliable and secure parking facilities. By offering designated parking areas, including short-term, long-term, and disability parking, the airport aims to cater to the diverse needs of its passengers. Combining convenience, accessibility, and top-notch security measures, Greymouth Airport’s car parking facilities ensure a stress-free experience for all travelers.
Car Rental at Greymouth Airport
Greymouth Airport serves as the main gateway to the West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island. While not a large international airport, it offers convenient domestic flights connecting Greymouth to other cities in the country. The airport is located just 2 kilometers southeast of the town center, ensuring quick and easy access for travelers.
The terminal at Greymouth Airport is relatively small but well-maintained, providing a relaxed and hassle-free experience for passengers. Inside the terminal, visitors will find a range of basic amenities, including public restrooms, baby changing facilities, and a small café where they can grab refreshments before their flight. Free Wi-Fi is also available, keeping passengers connected during their time at the airport.
The limited number of flights operating from Greymouth Airport means that check-in procedures are typically swift and efficient, allowing travelers to spend minimal time waiting in lines. Additionally, the airport benefits from ample parking spaces, making it convenient for those traveling by private vehicles. The friendly and helpful staff at Greymouth Airport are always ready to assist passengers with any queries or special requirements, ensuring a pleasant travel experience for all.
The operating airlines at Greymouth Airport, New Zealand are as follows:
1. Air New Zealand
2. Sounds Air
Greymouth Airport in New Zealand enforces strict security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers and staff. As a regional airport, it may have different security measures than larger international airports, but it still prioritizes the same level of caution and vigilance.
At Greymouth Airport, passengers can expect a thorough yet efficient security screening process. This typically includes mandatory baggage screening, body scanners, and metal detector checks. The airport security staff is well-trained and experienced in conducting these procedures in a respectful and professional manner, minimizing inconvenience for travelers while maintaining the highest level of security.
In line with New Zealand’s aviation regulations, Greymouth Airport also maintains a secure perimeter around the airport facilities. This entails restricted access to sensitive areas, including the terminal and airfield, to authorized personnel only. Additionally, comprehensive CCTV systems are in place to monitor and record any suspicious activities, ensuring a safe environment throughout the airport.
Furthermore, Greymouth Airport keeps up with the ever-evolving security landscape by closely collaborating with relevant government agencies and industry partners. This proactive approach allows them to adopt emerging security technologies and practices, ensuring their protocols remain effective and up to date.
Overall, Greymouth Airport’s security protocols prioritize passenger safety without compromising efficiency. The airport’s commitment to maintaining a secure environment, combined with the professionalism and training of their security staff, instills confidence in travelers and promotes a hassle-free journey through the airport.
Greymouth Airport, located on the West Coast of New Zealand’s South Island, serves as a crucial gateway for travelers seeking to explore this beautiful region. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey for all visitors. From the moment you step off the plane, friendly staff members are available to provide information, answer any questions, and offer guidance on local attractions and transportation options.
One of the key services offered at Greymouth Airport is the provision of tourist information. Knowledgeable staff members are well-versed in the area’s attractions, activities, and accommodations, and can provide valuable recommendations tailored to individual preferences. Whether you are interested in exploring the breathtaking Franz Josef Glacier, embarking on a scenic railway journey, or simply discovering the hidden gems of Greymouth itself, the airport’s assistance team is there to help you plan your itinerary and make the most of your time in this stunning part of New Zealand.
Additionally, Greymouth Airport offers convenient transportation assistance to help travelers reach their desired destinations. From arranging rental cars and shuttles to booking taxis or recommending public transportation options, the airport staff can guide you through the various choices available, ensuring you have a seamless transition from the airport to your final destination. With their local knowledge and expertise, they can also provide advice on the best routes, travel times, and any potential road closures or detours that may affect your journey.
In summary, Greymouth Airport is more than just a transport hub; it serves as a reliable source of information and assistance for travelers exploring the West Coast of New Zealand. Whether you require guidance on local attractions, accommodations, or transportation options, the airport’s friendly and knowledgeable staff are readily available to ensure your visit is memorable and stress-free. With their assistance, you can confidently explore the wonders of this picturesque region and create lasting memories of your time in New Zealand.
Shops and Restaurants
Greymouth Airport, located in the beautiful country of New Zealand, offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs and preferences of its visitors. Whether you’re arriving or departing, you can find a range of options to satisfy your cravings, pick up some last-minute souvenirs, or simply relax before your flight.
For those seeking a delicious meal or a quick bite, there are several dining establishments available at Greymouth Airport. The airport boasts a cozy café where you can enjoy freshly brewed coffee, sandwiches, and a selection of mouth-watering pastries. Perfect for a leisurely breakfast or a light lunch, this café provides a welcoming atmosphere and friendly service.
If you’re looking for a more substantial meal, a restaurant within the airport offers a diverse menu featuring both local and international cuisine. From hearty burgers and fries to flavorful vegetarian options, there’s something to suit every palate. The restaurant also provides a comfortable seating area, allowing you to unwind and savor your meal before or after your flight.
In addition to dining options, Greymouth Airport also showcases a variety of shops for travelers to explore. A gift shop situated within the terminal offers a wide range of souvenirs, including unique local crafts, artwork, and traditional New Zealand merchandise. Whether you’re looking for a special memento to commemorate your trip or a thoughtful gift for loved ones, this shop has you covered.
For those in need of travel essentials or forgotten items, a convenience store is conveniently located within the airport. From toiletries to snacks, this shop stocks a range of products to ensure you have everything you need for a comfortable journey. Additionally, the store offers a selection of newspapers, magazines, and books to keep you entertained during your flight.
Greymouth Airport’s shops and restaurants are designed to enhance the overall travel experience, providing visitors with a pleasant and convenient environment. Whether you’re looking for a tasty meal, a unique souvenir, or essential travel items, this airport strives to cater to your needs and ensure a seamless journey.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Greymouth Airport, located in New Zealand, recognizes the diverse religious needs of its travelers and provides prayer rooms and worship areas within its premises. These dedicated spaces offer a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in prayer, reflection, and worship before or after their flights. Here are the locations of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Greymouth Airport:
1. Main Terminal:
Upon entering the main terminal building, travelers can find a prayer room conveniently located near the arrival and departure gates. This serene space is easily accessible and offers a tranquil setting for individuals to engage in private prayer and meditation.
2. International Departures Lounge:
For those traveling internationally, the airport provides a dedicated worship area within the departure lounge. This designated space allows passengers to fulfill their religious obligations in a comfortable and secluded environment.
3. Domestic Departures Lounge:
In the domestic departures lounge, visitors can find a designated area specifically designed for worship. This space caters to the religious needs of domestic travelers, enabling them to observe their faith in a peaceful and inclusive setting.
Greymouth Airport’s provision of prayer rooms and worship areas demonstrates its commitment to accommodating the diverse religious practices of its passengers. These dedicated spaces offer solace and tranquility, allowing individuals to connect with their spirituality amidst the bustling airport environment.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Greymouth Airport, located in New Zealand, offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers. Whether you are waiting for your flight or need to catch up on some work, the airport has got you covered.
The airport provides complimentary WiFi access throughout its premises, ensuring that you can stay connected to the internet at all times. This service allows you to browse the web, check your emails, or stay connected with your loved ones while waiting for your flight. The WiFi connection is reliable and fast, making it convenient for both leisure and business travelers.
In addition to WiFi, Greymouth Airport also offers dedicated workspace facilities. These spaces are designed to provide a quiet and comfortable environment for those who need to work or study. Equipped with desks, chairs, and ample lighting, these workspaces allow you to concentrate and be productive during your stay at the airport.
The airport understands the importance of having a dedicated workspace, and thus, provides these facilities to cater to the needs of its passengers. Whether you need to finish a report, prepare a presentation, or simply catch up on your tasks, you can find a suitable space within the airport to work efficiently.
Furthermore, Greymouth Airport provides power outlets near the workspaces, ensuring that you can charge your electronic devices and stay connected without any interruptions. This thoughtful amenity allows you to work for extended periods without worrying about your devices running out of battery.
Overall, Greymouth Airport offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities, making it an ideal choice for travelers who need to stay connected or work during their time at the airport. With reliable WiFi access, dedicated workspaces, and power outlets, the airport provides a comfortable and productive environment for all passengers.
Accomodation Options Nearby Greymouth Airport
Greymouth Airport in New Zealand offers a range of accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, you will find plenty of choices near the airport. Here are some of the accommodation options available:
1. Budget motels: For those seeking affordability without compromising on comfort, there are several budget motels located near Greymouth Airport. These motels offer clean and comfortable rooms with basic amenities such as private bathrooms, free Wi-Fi, and parking facilities.
2. Bed and Breakfast: If you prefer a more homely and personalized experience, you can opt for a charming bed and breakfast accommodation. These establishments offer cozy rooms, a delicious breakfast, and warm hospitality. Many bed and breakfasts in the area are located in picturesque settings, allowing you to enjoy the natural beauty of the region.
3. Mid-range hotels: Greymouth Airport also has a variety of mid-range hotels that offer comfortable rooms and additional amenities such as on-site restaurants, fitness centers, and conference facilities. These hotels are a great option for travelers looking for a relaxed and convenient stay without breaking the bank.
4. Holiday parks: For outdoor enthusiasts and families, there are holiday parks located near the airport that provide a range of accommodation options. These parks often offer cabins, camping sites, and self-contained units, providing a great base for exploring the surrounding attractions. Facilities may include communal kitchens, BBQ areas, playgrounds, and laundry facilities.
5. Luxury lodges: For those seeking an indulgent experience, there are luxurious lodges situated near Greymouth Airport. These establishments offer spacious rooms or villas with stunning views, fine dining options, spa facilities, and personalized services. Staying at a luxury lodge allows you to immerse yourself in tranquility and pamper yourself with top-notch amenities.
It is worth noting that while Greymouth Airport itself does not have any on-site accommodation, the options mentioned above are all conveniently located within a short distance of the airport. So, whether you are on a tight budget or looking for a lavish retreat, Greymouth Airport offers a diverse range of accommodation choices to suit every traveler’s needs.
1. Shantytown Heritage Park: Immerse yourself in the fascinating gold mining era of the 1860s at Shantytown Heritage Park, where you can explore faithfully restored buildings, ride a steam train, and try your hand at gold panning.
2. Treetop Walkway and Cafe: Discover a unique perspective of the lush rainforest canopy at the Treetop Walkway, where elevated walkways provide breathtaking views and a chance to spot native birdlife. Afterward, relax at the onsite café and enjoy stunning scenery.
3. West Coast Wildlife Centre: Get up close and personal with the iconic kiwi bird at the West Coast Wildlife Centre. This conservation facility offers guided tours, an aviary, and the rare opportunity to see the incredibly cute and endangered national bird of New Zealand.
4. Monteith’s Brewing Company: Beer enthusiasts can learn the art of brewing and sample a range of craft beers at the Monteith’s Brewing Company. Take a guided tour to uncover the secrets behind their award-winning ales and lagers, and finish with a refreshing pint in their taproom.
5. Brunner Mine Site: Step into the region’s coal mining past by visiting the Brunner Mine Site. Explore the remains of the historic mine, learn about the challenges faced by miners, and gain a glimpse into the harsh realities of this industry in the 19th century.
6. Lake Brunner: Just a short drive from Greymouth Airport, Lake Brunner offers an idyllic setting for kayaking, boating, fishing, and enjoying breathtaking sunsets. The picturesque lake is also home to various native bird species and provides peaceful walking trails along its shores.
7. Point Elizabeth Walkway: Lace up your walking shoes and embark on the scenic Point Elizabeth Walkway. This coastal track offers panoramic views of the Tasman Sea, rugged cliffs, and a picturesque lighthouse. Keep an eye out for seals, dolphins, and penguins that occasionally make appearances.
8. Left Bank Art Gallery: Discover the vibrant local art scene at the Left Bank Art Gallery. Browse through eclectic works by talented artists, including paintings, sculptures, ceramics, and jewelry. With regularly changing exhibitions, there’s always something new to admire and purchase.
9. Air Force Museum of New Zealand: For aviation enthusiasts, a visit to the Air Force Museum of New Zealand is a must-do. Located in nearby Christchurch, this museum showcases an impressive array of historic aircraft, interactive exhibits, and engaging displays that tell the story of New Zealand’s military aviation.
10. Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers: Take a day trip from Greymouth Airport to witness the awe-inspiring Franz Josef and Fox Glaciers. These magnificent natural wonders offer opportunities for guided walks, glacier hikes, and even helicopter tours. Experience the sensation of walking on ice and marvel at the ever-changing landscape of these remarkable glaciers.
Please note that due to the dynamic nature of tourist attractions and potential changes, it’s always a good idea to check the availability and operating hours of these places before visiting.
History of Greymouth Airport
Greymouth Airport, located in Greymouth, New Zealand, holds a significant place in the country’s aviation history. The airport began its operation in 1936 when it was established as the Hokitika Aerodrome. Over the years, it has served as a vital transportation hub for the West Coast region of the South Island. Greymouth Airport’s long tenure has seen several improvements and expansions to accommodate the growing demand for air travel in the area.
In the early years of its existence, Greymouth Airport played a crucial role in connecting remote West Coast communities with major cities in New Zealand, facilitating trade, tourism, and social connections. The airport witnessed several upgrades and developments, including the resealing of the runway and construction of new hangars to house aircraft. These expansion efforts were particularly significant in the 1960s when Greymouth Airport saw a surge in passenger and cargo traffic.
In recent years, Greymouth Airport has continued to adapt and modernize to meet the evolving demands of air travel. The airport now offers improved facilities and services, including a terminal building with modern amenities and efficient passenger handling systems. Additionally, the airport has a strong focus on safety and ensures compliance with all aviation regulations and standards.
Today, Greymouth Airport remains an important gateway for travelers visiting the West Coast region. From domestic flights connecting to major cities like Christchurch and Wellington to scenic flights taking visitors on breathtaking tours of the Southern Alps, the airport continues to play a central role in promoting connectivity and tourism in the area. Its rich history and ongoing development make Greymouth Airport an integral part of New Zealand’s aviation network.
Other Airports in West Coast Region, New Zealand
- Big Bay Beach strip
- Franz Josef Aerodrome
- Gorge River Airstrip
- Greymouth Airport
- Haast Aerodrome
- Hokitika Airfield
- Karamea Airport
- Lake Haupiri/Gloriavale Christian Community Airport
- Neils Beach
- Westport Airport