The Honokaa Airstrip is a small public airport located in Honokaa, Hawaii, United States. Situated on the eastern coast of the Big Island, the airport serves as a vital transportation hub for local residents and visitors alike, offering convenient connections to nearby islands and accommodating general aviation activities.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Honokaa Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Honokaa Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Honokaa Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Honokaa Airstrip
- Other Airports in Hawaii, United States
How to Get to Honokaa Airstrip
To get to Honokaa Airstrip in the United States, the most convenient way is to fly into either Hilo International Airport (ITO) or Kona International Airport (KOA). Both airports offer several daily flights from major cities in Hawaii and the mainland United States. From these airports, you can rent a car or take a taxi to reach Honokaa Airstrip.
If you’re flying into Hilo International Airport, follow the signs towards Highway 11 and head south. Continue on Highway 11 until you reach the intersection with Highway 19. Take a right onto Highway 19, also known as the Hawaii Belt Road, and drive west for approximately 43 miles. Look for the signs indicating the turnoff to Honokaa Airstrip, which will be on your left.
If you arrive at Kona International Airport, head south on Highway 19, also known as the Hawaii Belt Road. Drive for approximately 63 miles until you reach the town of Honokaa. Once you’re in Honokaa, look for the signs leading to Honokaa Airstrip, which will be on your right.
It’s important to note that Honokaa Airstrip is a small, non-towered facility primarily used for private and recreational aircraft. Double-check the availability of services and any restrictions before planning your trip.
Honokaa Airstrip, located in the town of Honokaa in Hawaii, provides transportation options for both locals and visitors. Situated on the beautiful Big Island, this small airport offers convenient access to the region’s natural wonders and charming towns. Here are the transportation options available at Honokaa Airstrip:
1. Rental Cars: Various car rental companies operate at Honokaa Airstrip, providing easy access to explore the surrounding areas at your own pace. Renting a car allows you to fully experience the allure of the Big Island, from the stunning beaches to the lush rainforests and volcanic landscapes.
2. Taxis and Shuttles: Local taxi services and shuttle companies offer transportation services to and from the Honokaa Airstrip. These convenient options provide hassle-free transfers to nearby hotels, resorts, and attractions. The knowledgeable drivers can also offer valuable insights about the island, making your journey more insightful.
3. Ride-Sharing Services: Popular ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft are available on the Big Island, including at Honokaa Airstrip. By simply using your smartphone, you can easily request a ride and be on your way to your desired destination.
4. Public Buses: The Hele-On Bus system operates on the Big Island, providing affordable transportation for locals and tourists alike. Honokaa Airstrip is serviced by select bus routes, allowing you to reach different parts of the island without needing your own vehicle. It’s important to check the schedules in advance as the bus frequency might vary.
5. Airport Shuttle Services: Certain hotels and resorts in the area offer complimentary or paid shuttle services from Honokaa Airstrip. It is advisable to inquire with your accommodation about their specific arrangements and schedule.
6. Limousine Services: For those seeking a more luxurious mode of transportation, there are several limousine services available at Honokaa Airstrip. These services offer private and elegant travel solutions, ensuring a comfortable and stylish experience.
Honokaa Airstrip provides a range of transportation options to cater to the needs of its passengers. Whether you prefer the convenience of renting a car, the affordability of public transportation, or the luxury of chauffeured rides, there are plenty of choices available to explore the captivating beauty of the Big Island.
Honokaa Airstrip, also known as Harold K. Johansen Field, is a small airport located in Honokaa, Hawaii, United States. While the facility primarily serves general aviation, it also offers limited parking options for those traveling by car.
1. Visitor Parking Lot: A designated parking area for visitors is available near the main terminal building. Conveniently located on the airport grounds, this parking lot provides easy access to the airstrip and other facilities. The parking lot is well-maintained, and signage is clearly displayed to guide visitors to the appropriate spaces.
2. Overflow Parking Area: In cases where the visitor parking lot reaches its capacity, an overflow parking area is situated nearby. This additional parking space ensures ample parking availability during peak times. The airport staff directs visitors to the overflow parking area, which is easily accessible from the main entrance.
3. Drop-off Zone: There is a designated drop-off zone close to the terminal building. This area allows passengers to be conveniently dropped off and picked up by their drivers. It is ideal for those who require a swift drop-off or pick-up without the need for extended parking. Passengers can easily unload their luggage and proceed to the terminal entrance.
The car parking facilities at Honokaa Airstrip are well-maintained, safe, and conveniently located. Visitors can rest assured that their vehicles will be securely parked while they travel or visit the airport. As parking availability may vary depending on the season and demand, it is advisable to arrive in advance or make appropriate arrangements to ensure a hassle-free parking experience.
Car Rental at Honokaa Airstrip
Honokaa Airstrip is a small, grass airstrip located in Honokaa, Hawaii, on the Big Island. Serving as a terminal for private planes and small aircraft, it is an essential transportation facility for residents and visitors alike. Despite its modest size, the airstrip plays a crucial role in connecting the local community to the different islands of Hawaii, as well as facilitating leisure activities such as scenic flights and aerial tours.
The United States Terminal at Honokaa Airstrip provides basic facilities to accommodate the needs of passengers and pilots. The terminal offers a comfortable waiting area, where travelers can relax before their flight. Although limited in amenities, the terminal ensures that passengers have access to essential services such as restrooms and information boards displaying flight schedules. Additionally, the terminal provides a designated area for fueling and maintenance, ensuring that aircraft can operate smoothly.
Honokaa Airstrip’s convenient location in Honokaa allows for easy access to nearby attractions and natural wonders, enhancing the overall travel experience. This includes prominent landmarks like Akaka Falls, Waipio Valley, and Mauna Kea, whose breathtaking beauty can be easily admired from the air. The proximity to these attractions makes Honokaa Airstrip an excellent choice for those seeking a quick and convenient mode of transportation to explore the natural wonders of the Big Island.
In summary, Honokaa Airstrip and its United States Terminal serve as an important hub for private planes and small aircraft in Honokaa, Hawaii. With its strategic location and essential facilities, the airstrip connects the local community with other islands and provides an opportunity for visitors to explore the stunning natural attractions of the Big Island. Whether it be for leisure or transportation purposes, Honokaa Airstrip remains an essential and valuable asset for both residents and tourists in the region.
As of my knowledge, there are no operating airlines at Honokaa Airstrip in the United States.
Honokaa Airstrip, located on the Big Island of Hawaii, serves as a critical transportation hub for both residents and tourists. As an essential infrastructure facility, the United States strictly adheres to comprehensive security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of all passengers, staff, and aircraft operating at the airstrip.
First and foremost, Honokaa Airstrip employs a series of access control measures to regulate entry and exit points. Restricted areas are clearly demarcated and equipped with surveillance systems to monitor activities. All individuals seeking access to these areas must undergo a thorough identification and authorization process, which may include background checks and security clearances.
In addition to access control, Honokaa Airstrip implements robust passenger screening procedures. These procedures align with the guidelines set by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) and include the use of advanced screening technologies such as metal detectors and body scanners. Passengers are also required to present valid identification and undergo thorough baggage screening to detect any potential threats.
To maintain a safe and secure environment, Honokaa Airstrip maintains constant collaboration with federal law enforcement agencies, including the TSA, local police, and emergency response teams. Regular security exercises and drills are carried out to ensure preparedness for various scenarios, and security personnel receive rigorous training to efficiently handle any potential security incidents.
Honokaa Airstrip’s adherence to stringent security protocols is a testament to the United States’ commitment to safeguarding its transportation infrastructure. These measures not only reassure passengers of their safety but also contribute to the overall security and integrity of the aviation industry.
Honokaa Airstrip, located in Honokaa town on the Big Island of Hawaii, is a small but important airport serving the local community and travelers visiting the area. This small airstrip primarily caters to general aviation, allowing private planes and small aircraft to land and take off. Despite its modest size, Honokaa Airstrip offers necessary facilities and services to ensure a smooth travel experience for pilots and passengers.
Travelers who choose to fly into Honokaa Airstrip can expect a hassle-free arrival and departure process. The airstrip features a well-maintained runway and navigational aids that ensure safe landings and takeoffs. Additionally, the airport provides parking and tie-down areas for private planes, ensuring the safety and security of aircraft during the stay. While Honokaa Airstrip does not have a control tower, pilots can communicate with nearby air traffic control facilities for guidance and assistance.
In terms of traveler’s assistance, Honokaa Airstrip offers limited services aimed at enhancing the convenience and comfort of visitors. Travelers can find basic amenities, such as restrooms and seating areas, within the airport premises. However, it is important to note that Honokaa Airstrip does not have commercial airline operations or facilities like rental car services or food vendors. Visitors relying on public transportation or needing specific services will find them in the nearby town of Honokaa, which is just a short distance away from the airport.
Overall, Honokaa Airstrip serves as an essential transportation hub for private aircraft in the Honokaa area. While it may lack some of the amenities typically found in larger airports, the airstrip offers a well-maintained facility and necessary traveler’s assistance to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience for pilots and passengers alike. Whether arriving for a leisurely vacation or for business purposes, travelers can rely on Honokaa Airstrip to provide the necessary infrastructure and support for their air travel needs.
Shops and Restaurants
Honokaa Airstrip, located in the United States, is a quaint and charming destination that offers a variety of shops and restaurants for visitors to enjoy. Whether you’re looking for a unique souvenir or craving a delicious meal, this list will guide you through the must-visit establishments in the area.
1. Honokaa Trading Co.: Step into this historic shop to find an array of local crafts, clothing, and souvenirs. Browse through their collection of handmade jewelry, artwork, and home decor, all crafted by talented artisans. This charming store is a treasure trove of unique items that showcase the local culture and heritage.
2. The Sugar Mill: Indulge your taste buds at this popular restaurant, known for its delectable dishes and cozy ambiance. Located in a beautifully restored sugar mill, the menu features a fusion of international and local flavors. From fresh seafood to mouthwatering steaks, the culinary delights here are sure to leave you satisfied.
3. Mauna Kea Tea: For tea enthusiasts, Mauna Kea Tea is a must-visit. This charming tea shop offers a wide selection of premium loose-leaf teas sourced from around the world. Enjoy a relaxing cup of tea while learning about the different varieties and their health benefits. They also offer tea accessories and gifts for those looking to bring a taste of Honokaa home.
4. Tex Drive-In: Craving comfort food? Look no further than Tex Drive-In, a local favorite known for its famous malasadas. These Portuguese donuts are light, fluffy, and absolutely irresistible. Whether you prefer them plain or filled with a variety of flavors, Tex Drive-In will satisfy your sweet tooth and leave you wanting more.
5. Honokaa Public House: This vibrant restaurant and bar is a great place to unwind and enjoy a delicious meal. Their menu offers a fusion of international cuisines with a focus on fresh, locally sourced ingredients. From juicy burgers to flavorful seafood dishes, Honokaa Public House has something to please every palate.
6. Big Island Brewhaus: Craft beer enthusiasts will appreciate a visit to Big Island Brewhaus. This microbrewery and restaurant offers a rotating selection of handcrafted beers, each with its own unique flavor profile. Pair your pint with one of their mouthwatering dishes, such as their wood-fired pizzas or gourmet burgers, for a truly memorable dining experience.
7. Hamakua Harvest Farmers Market: If you’re looking for fresh produce and local delicacies, make sure to visit the Hamakua Harvest Farmers Market. Held every Sunday, this vibrant market showcases the best of the region’s agricultural offerings. From organic fruits and vegetables to homemade jams and baked goods, you’ll find an abundance of flavors to savor.
Honokaa Airstrip in the United States not only offers a convenient access point for travelers, but it also provides an opportunity to explore a range of unique shops and restaurants. Whether you’re searching for a special gift, a flavorful meal, or a taste of local culture, Honokaa has something to offer every visitor.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Honokaa Airstrip, located in the United States, does not currently have designated prayer rooms or worship areas on its premises. As an airstrip primarily used for aviation purposes, it predominantly focuses on accommodating aircraft operations, ensuring passenger safety, and facilitating air travel services.
Due to the nature of its operations, Honokaa Airstrip does not possess specific facilities dedicated to religious practices or worship. However, individuals seeking places of prayer or worship can explore nearby towns or cities for suitable establishments that cater to their religious needs.
Honokaa, a small town situated on the Big Island of Hawaii, offers various places of worship for different faiths within a short distance from the airstrip. Visitors can find churches, temples, mosques, and other religious centers in nearby communities such as Honokaa town itself, Waimea, Hilo, or even the capital city of Honolulu, which is located on a different island.
It is advisable for those in need of prayer rooms or worship areas to research and contact local religious institutions ahead of time to inquire about their availability and accessibility. This ensures that visitors can find suitable places to practice their faith conveniently during their stay in the vicinity of Honokaa Airstrip.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Honokaa Airstrip, located in the United States, is a small airport that serves as a gateway to the beautiful town of Honokaa, Hawaii. While the airstrip itself may be modest in size, it offers a few amenities for travelers seeking WiFi and workspace facilities.
For those who need to stay connected, Honokaa Airstrip provides complimentary WiFi access throughout the terminal area. This reliable internet connection allows passengers to browse the web, check emails, or stay in touch with loved ones while waiting for their flights.
Moreover, the airport understands the importance of providing a conducive environment for business travelers or individuals who require a dedicated workspace. Honokaa Airstrip offers a designated area within the terminal where passengers can find comfortable seating arrangements and ample space to set up their laptops or tablets. This workspace area is equipped with power outlets, ensuring that electronic devices can be charged, enabling productivity throughout their time at the airport.
Whether you need to catch up on work, send out important documents, or simply want to relax and browse the internet during your journey, Honokaa Airstrip has you covered with its WiFi and workspace facilities. These amenities contribute to a pleasant travel experience, making your time at the airport more productive and enjoyable.
Accomodation Options Nearby Honokaa Airstrip
Located in Honokaa, Hawaii, the Honokaa Airstrip offers various accommodation options to suit every budget and preference. Whether you are seeking affordable lodging or indulgent luxury, you will find a range of choices in this charming destination.
1. Camping: For those who enjoy the outdoors, Honokaa Airstrip offers camping facilities nearby. Set up your tent and enjoy the serene surroundings of this picturesque location. Please note that camping amenities may be limited, so it is advisable to bring your own supplies.
2. Budget Hotels and Motels: Honokaa has several budget-friendly hotels and motels in its vicinity. These options provide basic amenities, comfortable rooms, and often offer easy access to nearby attractions. While they may not boast luxury amenities, they provide a convenient and economical accommodation choice.
3. Vacation Rentals: A popular choice for families or larger groups, vacation rentals can be found near Honokaa Airstrip. These properties offer the comforts of home, with fully equipped kitchens, multiple bedrooms, and ample space to relax. Many vacation rentals also provide stunning views of the surrounding natural beauty.
4. Bed and Breakfasts: Experience the warmth and hospitality of the local community by staying at a charming bed and breakfast in Honokaa. These accommodations often offer individually decorated rooms, homemade breakfast options, and a cozy atmosphere. Bed and breakfasts are ideal for travelers seeking a more personalized experience.
5. Boutique Hotels: Honokaa boasts a few boutique hotels that provide a unique and stylish accommodation option. These establishments often feature tastefully decorated rooms, personalized service, and amenities such as onsite restaurants, spa facilities, or swimming pools. Boutique hotels offer a touch of luxury without breaking the bank.
6. Luxury Resorts: For a truly indulgent experience, luxury resorts can be found within a short distance from Honokaa Airstrip. These high-end establishments boast spacious rooms or suites, world-class dining options, luxurious spa facilities, and breathtaking views of the surrounding landscapes. These resorts provide a tranquil escape from the hustle and bustle of everyday life.
Regardless of your budget or preference, Honokaa Airstrip offers a variety of accommodation options to ensure a pleasant stay. From camping and budget hotels to bed and breakfasts, boutique hotels, and luxurious resorts, you will find a suitable option to meet your needs and make your stay in Honokaa an unforgettable one.
1. Waipio Valley: Just a short drive from Honokaa Airstrip, Waipio Valley offers breathtaking natural beauty with its lush green cliffs, black sand beach, and cascading waterfalls. You can take a scenic hike or even go horseback riding to fully immerse yourself in the splendor of this magical place.
2. Akaka Falls State Park: Located about 25 miles from Honokaa Airstrip, Akaka Falls State Park is home to two magnificent waterfalls, including the iconic Akaka Falls, which plunges 442 feet into a gorge. Enjoy a leisurely walk through a lush rainforest trail and witness the beauty of these natural wonders up close.
3. Hawai’i Tropical Botanical Garden: Just a short drive from Honokaa Airstrip, this stunning garden showcases a vast collection of tropical plants, flowers, and trees. Explore the beautifully manicured paths, vibrant orchid gardens, and stunning ocean views, making it a paradise for nature enthusiasts and horticulture lovers.
4. Hamakua Heritage Corridor: Discover the rich history of the Hamakua Coast as you drive through this scenic 40-mile corridor. From quaint towns and historic bridges to stunning vistas of rugged cliffs and turquoise waters, this journey will leave you captivated by the beauty and cultural heritage of the region.
5. Laupahoehoe Point Beach Park: This picturesque beach park offers stunning panoramic views and is a great spot for picnicking, fishing, or simply enjoying the peace and tranquility provided by the crashing waves. Take a moment to reflect on the area’s past, as the park’s landscape was greatly altered by a devastating tsunami that struck in 1946.
6. Kalopa State Recreation Area: Located in the island’s uplands, Kalopa State Recreation Area is a great place to immerse yourself in the beautiful native ohia forests and enjoy a peaceful picnic amidst the cool mountain air. Take a serene hike on one of the park’s trails or learn about native Hawaiian plants in the educational arboretum.
7. Honokaa Theatre: Built in 1930, this charming, historic theater is a true gem of the town. Catch a classic movie screening or enjoy a live performance in the cozy, vintage atmosphere, which harkens back to a bygone era of entertainment.
8. Mauna Kea Observatory: Although a bit further from Honokaa Airstrip, Mauna Kea Observatory is a must-visit for astronomy enthusiasts. Ascend to the summit of Mauna Kea, one of the world’s premier astronomical research sites, and marvel at the stunning night sky with world-class telescopes.
9. Kohala Coast: Just a short drive away, the Kohala Coast offers some of the most luxurious resorts in the state, as well as stunning white-sand beaches and crystal-clear waters. Indulge in snorkeling, swimming, or simply lounging on the beautiful shoreline.
10. Mauna Lani Resort: Located nearby, this upscale resort boasts two stunning championship golf courses, a world-class spa, and luxurious accommodations. Whether you’re a golfer or simply seeking relaxation and pampering, this resort offers a first-class experience in a stunning tropical setting.
History of Honokaa Airstrip
Honokaa Airstrip, located on the island of Hawaii, is a small airstrip that has played a significant role in the United States’ aviation history. Constructed during World War II by the United States Military, it served as a forward operating base for American forces. The airstrip was a crucial component in the defense of the Hawaiian Islands, facilitating the transportation of personnel, supplies, and equipment during the war.
Following the end of World War II, Honokaa Airstrip underwent significant changes. It was converted into a civilian airport and became an essential transportation hub for the local community. The airstrip facilitated aerial connectivity, enabling residents of the region to travel conveniently within and beyond the island, boosting economic activities, tourism, and local development.
Over the years, Honokaa Airstrip has witnessed various upgrades and improvements to cater to increasing aviation demands. Today, it efficiently serves both private and commercial flights, offering a range of services such as fueling, aircraft maintenance, and flight instruction. The serene beauty surrounding the airstrip, with its lush greenery and breathtaking ocean view, adds to its appeal for visitors and aviation enthusiasts.
Honokaa Airstrip holds a unique place in United States history, having transitioned from a military installation to a vital civilian airport serving the local community. Its significance as a symbol of national defense during World War II and its subsequent contributions to regional development highlight the rich historical and present-day importance of this small but consequential location on the island of Hawaii.
Other Airports in Hawaii, United States
- Barking Sands Airport
- Bradshaw Army Airfield
- Brandt Field
- Daniel K Inouye International Airport
- Dillingham Airfield
- Ellison Onizuka Kona International Airport at Keahole
- Ford Island Naval Auxiliary Landing Field
- French Frigate Shoals Airport
- Haiku Airstrip
- Hana Airport
- Hanamaulu Airstrip
- HI 23 Airstrip
- Hickam Air Force Base
- Hilo International Airport
- Honokaa Airstrip
- Kaalaiki Airstrip
- Kahului Airport
- Kalaeloa Airport
- Kalaupapa Airport
- Kaneohe Bay MCAS (Marion E. Carl Field) Airport
- Kapalua Airport
- Lanai Airport
- Lihue Airport
- Molokai Airport
- Mountain View Airstrip
- Pahala Airstrip
- Panda Airport
- Pepeekeo Airstrip
- Pohakuloa Training Area Airstrip
- Port Allen Airport
- Princeville Airport
- Upolu Airport
- Upper Paauilo Airstrip
- Waimea Kohala Airport
- Wheeler Army Airfield