Jacksonville International Airport is a major airport located in Jacksonville, Florida. It serves as a hub for several airlines and offers a wide range of domestic and international flights. The airport is known for its modern facilities and excellent customer service.
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Jacksonville International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Jacksonville International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Jacksonville International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Jacksonville International Airport
- Other Airports in Florida, United States
How to Get to Jacksonville International Airport
Jacksonville International Airport is located approximately 15 miles north of downtown Jacksonville, Florida. There are several ways to get to the airport, including driving, taking a taxi or rideshare service, or using public transportation.
If you are driving, the airport is easily accessible from Interstate 95 and Interstate 295. Simply follow the signs for the airport and take the appropriate exit. There are several parking options available at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking.
If you prefer to take a taxi or rideshare service, there are several companies that serve the airport. Simply request a ride and provide your destination as Jacksonville International Airport. The driver will drop you off at the appropriate terminal.
Finally, if you prefer to use public transportation, the Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) offers several bus routes that serve the airport. The JTA also operates a shuttle service called the “Flyer” that provides direct service between the airport and downtown Jacksonville. Simply purchase a ticket and board the appropriate bus or shuttle.
Jacksonville International Airport offers a variety of transportation options to help you get to and from the airport. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Rental Cars: There are several rental car companies located at the airport, including Avis, Budget, Enterprise, Hertz, and National. You can reserve a car in advance or rent one on the spot.
2. Taxis: Taxis are available outside of the baggage claim area. Rates are metered and vary depending on your destination.
3. Ride-Sharing Services: Uber and Lyft are available at the airport. Simply request a ride through the app and your driver will pick you up at the designated ride-share pickup area.
4. Shuttle Services: Several shuttle services operate out of the airport, offering shared or private rides to your destination. Some popular options include SuperShuttle and Go Airport Shuttle.
5. Public Transportation: The Jacksonville Transportation Authority (JTA) offers bus service to and from the airport. The Route 1 bus runs every 30 minutes and stops at several locations throughout the city.
No matter which transportation option you choose, Jacksonville International Airport makes it easy to get to your destination.
Jacksonville International Airport offers several parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking options and their locations:
1. Hourly Garage: Located directly in front of the terminal, the Hourly Garage is ideal for short-term parking. The rates are $2 for the first hour and $1 for each additional 20 minutes, with a maximum daily rate of $22.
2. Daily Garage: The Daily Garage is located adjacent to the Hourly Garage and is perfect for travelers who need to park for a few days. The rates are $2 for the first hour and $1 for each additional 20 minutes, with a maximum daily rate of $18.
3. Economy Lot 1: Located off of Airport Road, Economy Lot 1 is a budget-friendly option for travelers who need to park for an extended period. The rates are $5 per day, with a free shuttle service to and from the terminal.
4. Economy Lot 2: Also located off of Airport Road, Economy Lot 2 is another budget-friendly option for travelers who need to park for an extended period. The rates are $5 per day, with a free shuttle service to and from the terminal.
5. Valet Parking: For travelers who want the ultimate convenience, Valet Parking is available at the terminal curbside. The rates are $28 per day, with a $5 discount for pre-booking online.
No matter which parking option you choose, Jacksonville International Airport has plenty of convenient and affordable options to meet your needs.
Car Rental at Jacksonville International Airport
- Alamo Rent A Car
- Avis Rent A Car
- Budget Rent A Car
- Dollar Rent A Car
- Enterprise Rent A Car
- Hertz Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
- Thrifty Rent A Car
Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) has one main terminal building with two concourses, A and C. Concourse A serves Delta, United, and American Airlines, while Concourse C serves Southwest Airlines. The terminal building is modern and spacious, with plenty of natural light and a variety of dining and shopping options.
Concourse A has 14 gates and features a variety of dining options, including fast food chains, coffee shops, and sit-down restaurants. There are also several retail shops, including a newsstand, gift shop, and duty-free store. The concourse also has charging stations and free Wi-Fi for passengers.
Concourse C has 12 gates and is home to several popular fast food chains, as well as a coffee shop and a bar. There are also a few retail shops, including a newsstand and a gift shop. Like Concourse A, Concourse C has charging stations and free Wi-Fi for passengers.
Overall, Jacksonville International Airport’s terminals are clean, modern, and well-equipped to handle the needs of travelers. With a variety of dining and shopping options, as well as free Wi-Fi and charging stations, passengers can easily pass the time while waiting for their flights.
1. Air Canada
2. Alaska Airlines
3. American Airlines
4. Delta Air Lines
5. Frontier Airlines
6. JetBlue Airways
7. Silver Airways
8. Southwest Airlines
9. United Airlines
Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) has implemented several security protocols to ensure the safety of its passengers and staff. The Transportation Security Administration (TSA) oversees the security measures at JAX, which include screening passengers and their belongings before they board their flights. The TSA uses advanced imaging technology, metal detectors, and other screening methods to detect any prohibited items that may pose a threat to the aircraft or its passengers.
In addition to the TSA’s screening procedures, JAX has implemented several other security measures to enhance safety. The airport has a dedicated police force that patrols the terminal and surrounding areas, and security cameras are strategically placed throughout the airport to monitor activity. JAX also has a K-9 unit that is trained to detect explosives and other dangerous materials.
Passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport at least two hours before their scheduled departure time to allow for ample time to go through security. They are also advised to review the TSA’s list of prohibited items before packing their bags to avoid any delays or issues at the security checkpoint. Overall, JAX’s security protocols are designed to provide a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff.
Jacksonville International Airport offers a variety of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s information booths are staffed by knowledgeable representatives who can provide directions, answer questions, and offer assistance with baggage and transportation. Additionally, the airport offers wheelchair and electric cart services for passengers with mobility issues.
For travelers with children, the airport provides family restrooms, nursing rooms, and a children’s play area. There are also pet relief areas for passengers traveling with pets. The airport’s TSA PreCheck program allows eligible passengers to expedite the security screening process, while the CLEAR program offers an even faster security clearance option.
For international travelers, the airport offers currency exchange services and immigration and customs assistance. The airport also has a variety of dining and shopping options, including duty-free shops for international travelers. Overall, Jacksonville International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as comfortable and convenient as possible for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Jacksonville International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to make your travel experience more enjoyable. Here are some of the options available:
– CNBC News Jacksonville: This newsstand offers a wide selection of newspapers, magazines, snacks, and travel essentials.
– PGA Tour Shop: Golf enthusiasts will love this shop, which features a range of golf apparel, accessories, and souvenirs.
– Tech on the Go: Forgot your charger or need a new gadget? Tech on the Go has you covered with a selection of electronics and accessories.
– Hudson: This convenience store offers a range of snacks, drinks, and travel essentials.
– Chick-fil-A: Enjoy a classic chicken sandwich or nuggets at this popular fast-food chain.
– Starbucks: Get your caffeine fix with a variety of coffee and tea drinks, as well as pastries and snacks.
– Fresh Attractions: This healthy food option offers salads, wraps, and smoothies made with fresh ingredients.
– Quiznos: Grab a sandwich or salad at this popular chain.
Whether you’re looking for a quick bite or some last-minute shopping, Jacksonville International Airport has plenty of options to choose from.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Jacksonville International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who need a quiet space for religious observance. Here are the locations of these areas:
1. Interfaith Prayer Room – Located on the second floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse A. This room is open 24/7 and is available for people of all faiths.
2. Chapel – Located on the first floor of the main terminal, near the baggage claim area. This room is open 24/7 and is available for Christian worship.
3. Muslim Prayer Room – Located on the second floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse C. This room is open 24/7 and is available for Muslim prayer.
All of these areas are equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and other necessary items for worship. They are also kept clean and well-maintained for the comfort of passengers.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Jacksonville International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels. Here are some of the key features:
1. Free WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and their devices.
2. Charging stations: There are numerous charging stations located throughout the airport, providing passengers with a convenient way to charge their devices.
3. Business center: The airport has a business center located on the second floor of the terminal, which offers a range of services including printing, faxing, and copying.
4. Conference rooms: For those who need a more private workspace, the airport has several conference rooms available for rent. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment and can accommodate up to 12 people.
5. Lounges: The airport has several lounges available for passengers who want to relax or work in a more comfortable environment. These lounges offer amenities such as complimentary snacks and beverages, comfortable seating, and high-speed WiFi.
Overall, Jacksonville International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels. Whether you need to catch up on work or simply want to browse the internet, the airport has you covered.
Jacksonville International Airport offers a number of lounges for travelers to relax and unwind. Here is a list of the lounges and their locations:
- Delta Sky Club: Concourse A
- United Club: Concourse B
- American Airlines Admirals Club: Concourse C
- Air Canada Maple Leaf Lounge: Concourse C
Accomodation Options Nearby Jacksonville International Airport
Jacksonville International Airport offers a range of accommodation options suitable for every budget and preference. Whether you are looking for affordable or luxurious accommodations, here are some choices available to you:
1. On-Site Hotel:
Inside the airport terminal, you can find a conveniently located hotel. This option is ideal for those seeking to stay close to their departure gate or have an early flight. On-site hotels usually provide comfortable rooms, friendly staff, and amenities such as fitness centers, restaurants, and business facilities.
2. Nearby Hotels:
Several hotels are located in close proximity to Jacksonville International Airport, offering easy access and shuttle services to and from the airport. These nearby hotels offer a range of prices, amenities, and styles, catering to various preferences.
3. Budget Motels:
For budget-conscious travelers, there are affordable motels available within a short distance of the airport. While these may offer more basic accommodations, they provide comfortable rooms, essential amenities, and a convenient location for those needing a short stay.
4. Extended-Stay Hotels:
Ideal for travelers who require a longer stay, extended-stay hotels offer more spacious accommodations and additional amenities such as kitchenettes or fully equipped kitchens. These options are perfect for families, individuals on business trips, or anyone wanting a home-away-from-home experience.
5. Upscale Hotels and Resorts:
If you are seeking a luxurious experience, there are several upscale hotels and resorts within a reasonable distance from Jacksonville International Airport. These establishments are known for their sophisticated decor, top-notch amenities, world-class restaurants, spa facilities, and exceptional service.
6. Boutique Hotels:
For those who prefer a more unique and intimate experience, boutique hotels can provide a charming and personalized stay. These smaller accommodations often boast stylish decor, personalized service, and an ambiance that distinguishes them from larger hotel chains.
It’s worth noting that the availability of accommodations may vary, and it is advisable to book in advance to secure the best option for your needs. Whether you are looking for economy, comfort, or luxury, Jacksonville International Airport provides a range of accommodations to cater to all travelers.
1. Amelia Island: Located just 30 minutes northeast of the airport, Amelia Island is a picturesque barrier island known for its pristine beaches, rich history, and charming downtown area. Visitors can indulge in water sports, explore historic sites like the Amelia Island Museum of History, or simply relax and unwind in this tranquil setting.
2. Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens: A family-friendly destination, the Jacksonville Zoo and Gardens is located just 15 minutes away from the airport. This 117-acre zoo boasts an impressive range of animals from all around the world, as well as beautiful gardens to explore. With educational programs, interactive exhibits, and exciting events, it’s a must-visit attraction for animal lovers.
3. Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary: Located less than 20 minutes from the airport, Catty Shack Ranch Wildlife Sanctuary is a non-profit rescue and rehabilitation center for big cats, such as tigers and lions. Visitors can take guided tours to learn about these majestic animals and see them up close in a safe and natural environment.
4. Riverside Arts Market: Situated near downtown Jacksonville, the Riverside Arts Market is a vibrant and lively open-air market showcasing local artists, crafters, and farmers. Visitors can enjoy live music, browse unique goods, taste delicious food, and soak up the artistic and cultural atmosphere of this exciting community event held every Saturday.
5. Jacksonville Beach: Less than 30 minutes from the airport, Jacksonville Beach offers miles of pristine sandy beaches, ideal for sunbathing, swimming, or strolling along the shore. The area is dotted with beachfront restaurants, fishing piers, surf shops, and volleyball courts, guaranteeing a fun-filled day by the ocean.
6. St. Johns Town Center: Approximately 15 minutes from the airport, St. Johns Town Center is a premier shopping and dining destination in Jacksonville. This sprawling open-air mall features a wide array of high-end boutiques, national retailers, and popular restaurants, making it a perfect spot for some retail therapy or a delicious meal.
7. Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve: Nature enthusiasts will appreciate the Timucuan Ecological and Historic Preserve, located around 30 minutes from the airport. This protected area features hiking trails, breathtaking marshes, and historic sites like the Kingsley Plantation, offering a glimpse into the region’s natural and cultural heritage.
8. Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park: Just a short drive from the airport, Kathryn Abbey Hanna Park is a hidden gem for outdoor enthusiasts. This 450-acre park offers campsites, picnic areas, a freshwater lake for fishing, scenic trails for hiking and biking, and a beautiful beach perfect for swimming and surfing.
9. Museum of Science and History (MOSH): Located in downtown Jacksonville, MOSH is an interactive museum that combines education with entertainment. Visitors of all ages can explore exhibits on local history, the natural world, and scientific wonders. The museum also features a planetarium, where you can embark on a captivating journey through the cosmos.
10. The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens: Situated just a short drive from the airport, the Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens is a cultural oasis in the heart of Jacksonville. This museum showcases a diverse collection of art spanning over 5,000 years, including works by renowned artists. The beautifully landscaped gardens, with their stunning riverfront views, provide a serene setting for a leisurely walk.
History of Jacksonville International Airport
Jacksonville International Airport (JAX) is located in Jacksonville, Florida, and is the primary airport serving the city. The airport was originally built in 1965 as Imeson Field, named after the former mayor of Jacksonville, Hans G. Imeson. The airport was renamed Jacksonville International Airport in 1968 when it began offering international flights.
Over the years, JAX has undergone several expansions and renovations to accommodate the growing number of passengers. In 1990, a new terminal was built, which included additional gates, restaurants, and shops. In 2003, a second concourse was added, and in 2012, a third concourse was opened to handle the increasing number of passengers.
JAX has also played a significant role in military operations. During World War II, the airport was used as a training base for the U.S. Navy. In the 1960s, the airport was used as a staging area for the Cuban Missile Crisis. Today, the airport is home to the Florida Air National Guard’s 125th Fighter Wing, which operates F-15 Eagle fighter jets.
Overall, Jacksonville International Airport has a rich history and continues to serve as a vital transportation hub for the city of Jacksonville and the surrounding areas.
Other Airports in Florida, United States
- Bob Sikes Airport
- Cape Canaveral AFS Skid Strip
- Charlotte County Airport
- Daytona Beach International Airport
- Destin-Fort Walton Beach Airport
- Duke Field
- Fort Lauderdale Executive Airport
- Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport
- Gainesville Regional Airport
- Homestead ARB Airport
- Hurlburt Field
- Jacksonville Executive at Craig Airport
- Jacksonville International Airport
- Jacksonville Naval Air Station (Towers Field)
- Key West International Airport
- Kissimmee Gateway Airport
- Lakeland Linder International Airport
- Leesburg International Airport
- Mac Dill Air Force Base
- Melbourne Orlando International Airport
- Miami Executive Airport
- Miami International Airport
- Miami-Opa Locka Executive Airport
- Naples Municipal Airport
- NASA Shuttle Landing Facility Airport
- Naval Air Station Key West/Boca Chica Field
- Naval Air Station Pensacola Forrest Sherman Field
- Naval Station Mayport (Admiral David L. Mcdonald Field)
- Northeast Florida Regional Airport
- Northwest Florida Beaches International Airport
- Orlando International Airport
- Orlando Sanford International Airport
- Page Field
- Palm Beach International Airport
- Patrick Air Force Base
- Pensacola International Airport
- Sarasota Bradenton International Airport
- Southwest Florida International Airport
- Space Coast Regional Airport
- St Lucie County International Airport
- St Petersburg Clearwater International Airport
- Tallahassee Regional Airport
- Tampa International Airport
- The Florida Keys Marathon Airport
- Tyndall Air Force Base
- Vero Beach Regional Airport
- Whiting Field Naval Air Station – North
- Whiting Field Naval Air Station South Airport