Joao Paulo II Airport is an international airport located on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores, Portugal. It is the main gateway to the Azores and serves as a hub for SATA Air Açores and Azores Airlines.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Joao Paulo II Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Joao Paulo II Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Joao Paulo II Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Joao Paulo II Airport
- Other Airports in Autonomous Region of Azores, Portugal
How to Get to Joao Paulo II Airport
Joao Paulo II Airport is located on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores, Portugal. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or rental car.
If you are taking a taxi, you can easily hail one on the street or book one in advance through a taxi company. The ride from Ponta Delgada city center to the airport takes about 10-15 minutes and costs around 10-15 euros.
Alternatively, you can take the bus to the airport. The bus stop is located outside the terminal building and the route is operated by the local bus company, Empresa de Transportes Urbanos de Ponta Delgada. The bus runs every 30 minutes and the journey takes around 20 minutes. The fare is approximately 3 euros.
Finally, if you prefer to have your own transportation, you can rent a car from one of the many car rental companies located at the airport. This option gives you the flexibility to explore the island at your own pace and return the car directly to the airport before your flight.
Joao Paulo II Airport, also known as Ponta Delgada Airport, is the main airport serving the Azores archipelago in Portugal. If you are planning a trip to this beautiful destination, it is important to know your transportation options from the airport to your final destination. Here are some of the transportation options available at Joao Paulo II Airport:
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal. They are a convenient and reliable option for getting to your destination. The fare is metered, and the cost will depend on your destination.
2. Car Rental: There are several car rental companies located at the airport, including Avis, Hertz, and Europcar. Renting a car is a great option if you plan on exploring the island on your own.
3. Public Bus: The public bus system in Ponta Delgada is efficient and affordable. The bus stop is located just outside the airport terminal, and the fare is around €2.50.
4. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available at the airport. This is a great option if you want a more personalized and comfortable experience. You can book a private transfer in advance or at the airport.
5. Shuttle Bus: Some hotels and resorts offer shuttle bus services to and from the airport. Check with your accommodation provider to see if this service is available.
No matter which transportation option you choose, Joao Paulo II Airport has a variety of choices to suit your needs and budget.
Joao Paulo II Airport in Ponta Delgada, Portugal offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options available at the airport:
1. P1 Car Park: This car park is located right in front of the terminal building and is ideal for short-term parking. It has a capacity of 300 vehicles and is open 24 hours a day.
2. P2 Car Park: This car park is located a short walk away from the terminal building and is ideal for long-term parking. It has a capacity of 800 vehicles and is open 24 hours a day.
3. P3 Car Park: This car park is located near the cargo terminal and is ideal for long-term parking. It has a capacity of 200 vehicles and is open 24 hours a day.
4. P4 Car Park: This car park is located near the airport’s fire station and is ideal for long-term parking. It has a capacity of 200 vehicles and is open 24 hours a day.
All car parks at Joao Paulo II Airport are equipped with CCTV cameras and are monitored by security personnel. Payment for parking can be made at the automatic payment machines located in each car park.
Car Rental at Joao Paulo II Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Avis Rent A Car
- Budget Rent A Car
- Thrifty Car Rental
- Hertz Rent A Car
- Sixt Rent A Car
- Alamo Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
Joao Paulo II Airport, also known as Ponta Delgada Airport, is the main airport serving the Azores archipelago in Portugal. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are both modern and well-equipped to handle the increasing number of passengers.
Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a spacious and modern design, with a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes available for passengers. The terminal also has several lounges, including a VIP lounge, which offers comfortable seating, free Wi-Fi, and refreshments.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is used primarily for low-cost airlines. It has a more basic design, but still offers a range of facilities for passengers, including a cafe and a duty-free shop. The terminal is located a short distance from Terminal 1, and a free shuttle bus service is available to transport passengers between the two terminals.
Overall, Joao Paulo II Airport’s terminals are well-designed and offer a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable travel experience for passengers. The airport’s convenient location and modern facilities make it an important gateway to the Azores and a popular destination for tourists and business travelers alike.
The following airlines operate out of João Paulo II Airport:
– TAP Air Portugal
– Azores Airlines
– SATA International
– Turkish Airlines
– British Airways
– Air France
– Wizz Air
– Air Europa
– Brussels Airlines
Joao Paulo II Airport, located in Ponta Delgada, Portugal, has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of its passengers and staff. The airport follows the guidelines set by the European Union Aviation Security Regulations, which include measures such as baggage screening, body scanning, and metal detection.
Passengers are required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before passing through the security checkpoint. Liquids and gels must be placed in a clear plastic bag and presented for inspection. Any prohibited items, such as weapons or explosives, are confiscated immediately.
The airport also employs trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring the security cameras and conducting random checks on passengers and their belongings. These measures are in place to prevent any potential threats and ensure a safe and secure environment for all travelers. Overall, Joao Paulo II Airport takes security very seriously and is committed to providing a safe and comfortable travel experience for all passengers.
Joao Paulo II Airport, located in Ponta Delgada, Azores, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s assistance services are designed to cater to the needs of passengers with disabilities, reduced mobility, and special needs.
The airport’s assistance services include wheelchair assistance, special assistance for visually impaired passengers, and assistance for passengers with hearing impairments. The airport also provides assistance for passengers with reduced mobility, including assistance with boarding and disembarking from the aircraft, and assistance with baggage handling.
In addition to these services, Joao Paulo II Airport also offers a range of other traveler’s assistance services, including medical assistance, lost and found services, and assistance with customs and immigration procedures. The airport’s staff is trained to provide friendly and efficient assistance to all passengers, ensuring that their travel experience is as comfortable and stress-free as possible. Overall, Joao Paulo II Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide a high level of support and care to all passengers, regardless of their needs or requirements.
Shops and Restaurants
Joao Paulo II Airport, located in Ponta Delgada, Azores, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
– Azores Souvenirs: This shop offers a wide range of souvenirs and gifts, including traditional Azorean handicrafts, clothing, and food products.
– Duty Free: Passengers can take advantage of duty-free shopping at this store, which offers a selection of perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco products.
– Relay: This newsstand offers a variety of reading materials, including newspapers, magazines, and books, as well as snacks and beverages.
– Açores Café: This café serves a variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as sandwiches, pastries, and snacks.
– Burger King: This fast-food chain offers burgers, fries, and other classic American-style fare.
– Salsa & Coentros: This restaurant specializes in traditional Azorean cuisine, with dishes such as cozido das furnas (a stew cooked in volcanic steam) and lapas grelhadas (grilled limpets).
– Subway: This sandwich shop offers a variety of subs, salads, and sides.
Overall, Joao Paulo II Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options to suit the needs and preferences of travelers passing through.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Joao Paulo II Airport in Ponta Delgada, Portugal, offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors. These areas are located in different parts of the airport, making them easily accessible to all.
1. Chapel of Our Lady of Peace – Located on the ground floor of the airport, near the arrivals area, this chapel is open 24 hours a day. It offers a peaceful and quiet space for prayer and reflection.
2. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – This room is located on the first floor of the airport, near the boarding gates. It is open to people of all faiths and provides a space for quiet contemplation and prayer.
3. Muslim Prayer Room – Located on the first floor of the airport, near the boarding gates, this room is specifically designed for Muslim passengers. It provides a space for prayer and ablution.
4. Catholic Prayer Room – This room is located on the first floor of the airport, near the boarding gates. It is specifically designed for Catholic passengers and provides a space for prayer and reflection.
5. Evangelical Prayer Room – Located on the first floor of the airport, near the boarding gates, this room is specifically designed for Evangelical passengers. It provides a space for prayer and reflection.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are easily accessible and provide a peaceful and quiet space for passengers and visitors to pray and reflect. They are maintained regularly and are open to all, regardless of their faith or beliefs.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Joao Paulo II Airport, located in Ponta Delgada, Azores, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flight. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
For passengers who need to work or study during their time at the airport, Joao Paulo II Airport offers several workspace facilities. The airport has a business lounge equipped with comfortable seating, work desks, and power outlets, providing a quiet and productive environment for business travelers. Additionally, the airport has a conference room available for rent, which is ideal for meetings, presentations, or interviews.
In addition to WiFi and workspace facilities, Joao Paulo II Airport offers a range of other amenities to make passengers’ travel experience more comfortable. These include restaurants, cafes, and shops, as well as ATMs, currency exchange services, and luggage storage facilities. The airport also has a VIP lounge, which offers a more luxurious and exclusive experience for passengers who want to relax and unwind before their flight.
Overall, Joao Paulo II Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities, as well as a range of other amenities, to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
The following is a list of Joao Paulo II Airport Lounges located in Ponta Delgada, Portugal:
- TAP Executive Lounge: Located in the boarding area of the airport.
- Atlantic Lounge: Located in the boarding area of the airport.
- VIP Lounge: Located in the boarding area of the airport.
- Azores Airlines Lounge: Located in the boarding area of the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Joao Paulo II Airport
Joao Paulo II Airport, also known as Ponta Delgada Airport, is the primary gateway to the stunning Azores archipelago in Portugal. Whether you are a budget traveler or seeking a luxurious experience, the airport provides a range of accommodation options to suit all needs. Let’s explore the diverse range of lodging available at Joao Paulo II Airport.
1. Budget-friendly Accommodations:
– Hostels & Guesthouses: For the cost-conscious traveler, there are several affordable hostels and guesthouses located near the airport. These accommodations provide basic amenities, clean rooms, and often have communal spaces where you can meet fellow travelers.
– Bed and Breakfasts: Another budget option available close to the airport is Bed and Breakfast establishments. These cozy and comfortable accommodations offer a personalized experience at an affordable price.
2. Mid-Range Hotels:
– Budget Hotels: Joao Paulo II Airport offers a variety of budget hotels within a short distance. These lodgings provide comfortable rooms, essential amenities, and excellent value for money.
– Business Hotels: For those seeking a more substantial stay, business hotels in the vicinity cater to their specific needs. These hotels offer convenient location, comfortable rooms, meeting facilities, and often include breakfast.
3. Upscale and Luxury Stays:
– Boutique Hotels: If you prefer a more unique and intimate experience, boutique hotels near Joao Paulo II Airport offer elegant and character-filled rooms. These establishments often provide personalized service, stylish decor, and an inviting ambiance.
– Spa Resorts: To unwind and indulge in luxury, several spa resorts are located a short distance from the airport. These serene retreats offer luxurious accommodations, onsite spas, wellness facilities, and often have stunning views of the surrounding landscapes.
– Five-Star Hotels: For ultimate opulence, high-end five-star hotels are available near the airport. These properties boast luxurious rooms, world-class amenities, gourmet dining options, spa and wellness facilities, attentive service, and panoramic views.
No matter your accommodation preference or budget, Joao Paulo II Airport ensures a variety of options nearby to suit your needs. Whether you choose a budget-friendly option, a mid-range hotel, or an upscale luxury stay, you can be assured of a comfortable and enjoyable stay during your time in the Azores.
1. Ponta Delgada: The capital city of the Azores archipelago, Ponta Delgada is a vibrant and charming city located just a short distance from Joao Paulo II Airport. Explore the historic streets, visit stunning churches, and indulge in local cuisine.
2. Sete Cidades: Located about 19 km from the airport, Sete Cidades is a picturesque village nestled in the crater of an extinct volcano. Enjoy breathtaking views of the twin lakes, along with hiking and biking trails that showcase the beauty of this natural wonder.
3. Lagoa do Fogo: Just a 30-minute drive from the airport, Lagoa do Fogo is a stunning crater lake surrounded by lush vegetation. Take a hike to reach the viewpoint and be rewarded with panoramic vistas of the pristine blue waters.
4. Furnas: Travel around 40 km from the airport to discover Furnas, a village known for its hot springs and geothermal activity. Enjoy a relaxing bath in the natural hot springs, sample local delicacies cooked in steam holes, and explore lush botanical gardens.
5. Nordeste: Located about an hour’s drive from the airport, Nordeste offers beautiful landscapes and hiking trails. Discover cascading waterfalls, stunning viewpoints, and the lushness of the Azorean countryside.
6. Vila Franca do Campo: As the first capital of Sao Miguel, Vila Franca do Campo is a historic town that is less than 20 km away from the airport. Explore charming streets, visit the parish church, and take a boat trip to the nearby Ilhéu da Vila Franca islet.
7. Caloura: About a 20-minute drive from the airport, Caloura is a small fishing village known for its natural swimming pools and stunning coastal views. Enjoy a refreshing swim, relax on the pebble beaches, or indulge in a delicious seafood meal.
8. Pico da Vara: Located in the eastern part of the island, about 40 km away from the airport, Pico da Vara is the highest peak on Sao Miguel. Hike through beautiful forests, spot endemic flora and fauna, and enjoy panoramic views from the summit.
9. Portas da Cidade: In the heart of Ponta Delgada, you’ll find the iconic Portas da Cidade (City Gates). These beautiful arches mark the entrance to the city’s main square and are a popular meeting point for locals and visitors alike.
10. Convento da Esperança: Visit the Convento da Esperança, a historic convent in Ponta Delgada that houses the region’s largest collection of religious art and artifacts. Explore the impressive architecture, admire the ornate chapels, and learn about the island’s religious history.
These attractions showcase the diverse natural beauty, cultural heritage, and historical significance of Sao Miguel, making them must-visit destinations for travelers near Joao Paulo II Airport.
History of Joao Paulo II Airport
Joao Paulo II Airport, also known as Ponta Delgada Airport, is located on the island of Sao Miguel in the Azores archipelago of Portugal. The airport was first opened in 1969, replacing the previous airfield that was located in the city center. The airport was named after Pope John Paul II, who visited the Azores in 1991.
Over the years, Joao Paulo II Airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to accommodate the increasing number of passengers. In 2005, a new terminal building was constructed, which increased the airport’s capacity to handle up to 1.5 million passengers per year. The airport also has a runway that is 2,497 meters long and can accommodate large aircraft such as the Boeing 747.
Today, Joao Paulo II Airport is an important gateway to the Azores, connecting the islands to mainland Portugal and other European destinations. The airport serves several airlines, including TAP Air Portugal, Ryanair, and Azores Airlines. In 2019, the airport handled over 1.8 million passengers, making it one of the busiest airports in Portugal outside of the mainland. Joao Paulo II Airport continues to play a vital role in the economic and social development of the Azores, providing essential air transportation services to both locals and tourists.
Other Airports in Autonomous Region of Azores, Portugal
- Flores Airport
- Graciosa Airport
- Horta Airport
- Joao Paulo II Airport
- Lajes Airport
- Pico Airport
- Sao Jorge Airport