Joint Base Andrews is a United States military facility located in Prince George’s County, Maryland. It is home to the 11th Wing of the Air Force District of Washington, as well as several other units from the Air Force, Army, Navy, and Marine Corps. The base is named after Lieutenant General Frank Maxwell Andrews, a pioneer in American military aviation.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Joint Base Andrews
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Joint Base Andrews
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Joint Base Andrews
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Joint Base Andrews
- Other Airports in Maryland, United States
How to Get to Joint Base Andrews
Joint Base Andrews is located in Prince George’s County, Maryland, approximately 10 miles southeast of Washington, D.C. There are several ways to get to the base, including by car, public transportation, and air.
If you are driving, the base is easily accessible from major highways such as I-495 and I-95. From I-495, take exit 9A and follow signs for Joint Base Andrews. From I-95, take exit 7B and follow signs for the base. Once on base, follow signs to your destination.
If you are using public transportation, the closest Metro station is Branch Avenue on the Green Line. From there, you can take the Metrobus Route A11 or A12 to the base. You can also take the MARC train to the nearby Branch Avenue station and then take the Metrobus to the base.
If you are flying into the area, the closest airport is Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport, which is approximately 15 miles from the base. From the airport, you can take a taxi or ride-sharing service to the base.
Overall, there are several options for getting to Joint Base Andrews, depending on your mode of transportation and location. It is important to plan ahead and allow for extra time, especially during peak travel times or when there are security measures in place.
Joint Base Andrews, located in Maryland, offers a variety of transportation options for military personnel, their families, and civilian employees. Here are some of the transportation options available at Joint Base Andrews:
1. Shuttle Services: Joint Base Andrews offers shuttle services to and from the base, as well as to nearby metro stations. The shuttle service is free of charge and runs on a regular schedule.
2. Car Rental: There are several car rental companies located on the base, including Enterprise, Hertz, and Avis. These companies offer a variety of vehicles for rent, including cars, trucks, and SUVs.
3. Taxi Services: Taxis are available on the base and can be easily hailed from the main gate. The base also has a taxi stand located near the visitor center.
4. Ride-Sharing Services: Ride-sharing services like Uber and Lyft are available in the area and can be used to get to and from the base.
5. Public Transportation: The base is located near several metro stations, including Branch Avenue, Suitland, and Naylor Road. These stations offer access to the Washington D.C. metro system, which can be used to travel throughout the city.
6. Bicycle Rentals: Joint Base Andrews offers bicycle rentals for those who prefer to travel on two wheels. Bicycles can be rented from the Outdoor Recreation Center located on the base.
Overall, Joint Base Andrews offers a variety of transportation options to meet the needs of its personnel and visitors. Whether you prefer to travel by shuttle, car, taxi, ride-sharing service, public transportation, or bicycle, there is a transportation option available to suit your needs.
Joint Base Andrews offers several car parking options for visitors and personnel. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Main Gate Parking Lot – Located at the main entrance of the base, this parking lot is open 24/7 and is available for visitors and personnel.
2. Chapel Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the Chapel and is available for visitors attending religious services.
3. Fitness Center Parking Lot – Located near the Fitness Center, this parking lot is available for visitors and personnel using the facility.
4. BX/Commissary Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the Base Exchange and Commissary and is available for visitors and personnel shopping at these facilities.
5. Flightline Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the flightline and is available for personnel with flightline access.
6. Hangar Parking Lot – Located near the hangars, this parking lot is available for personnel with hangar access.
7. Visitor Center Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the Visitor Center and is available for visitors to the base.
All parking areas are clearly marked and have designated spaces for handicapped individuals. Visitors and personnel are reminded to follow all parking regulations and to park only in designated areas.
Car Rental at Joint Base Andrews
Joint Base Andrews Terminals is a military installation located in Prince George’s County, Maryland. It is home to the 11th Wing of the United States Air Force and serves as the official presidential aircraft base. The base is also used for military and civilian air travel, with several terminals available for passengers.
The terminals at Joint Base Andrews are modern and well-equipped, offering a range of amenities for travelers. The main terminal, known as the Passenger Terminal, is open 24 hours a day and provides a variety of services, including ticketing, baggage handling, and customs and immigration processing. There are also several smaller terminals on the base, including the Air Mobility Command Terminal and the VIP Terminal.
In addition to its passenger terminals, Joint Base Andrews also has a range of facilities for military personnel and their families. These include a commissary, exchange, and various recreational facilities. The base is also home to several schools and medical facilities, making it a self-contained community for military personnel and their families. Overall, Joint Base Andrews Terminals is a vital hub for military and civilian air travel, providing essential services and facilities for travelers from around the world.
The operating airlines at Joint Base Andrews include:
1. American Airlines
2. Delta Air Lines
3. United Airlines
4. Allegiant Air
5. Air Wisconsin
6. GoJet Airlines
7. SkyWest Airlines
8. Piedmont Airlines
9. Shuttle America
10. ExpressJet Airlines
11. Trans State Airlines
Joint Base Andrews is a United States military facility located in Prince George’s County, Maryland. As a military installation, Joint Base Andrews has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of its personnel, visitors, and assets. The base is home to several high-profile units, including Air Force One, the aircraft used by the President of the United States, and the 11th Wing, which provides security and support for the base.
To enter Joint Base Andrews, all visitors must pass through a security checkpoint. This checkpoint includes a vehicle inspection, ID check, and a search of all bags and personal belongings. Visitors must also be sponsored by a member of the military or have a valid reason for their visit. The base also has a strict no-fly zone, which means that unauthorized aircraft are not allowed to enter the airspace above the base.
In addition to the security checkpoint, Joint Base Andrews has a 24/7 security force that patrols the base and responds to any security threats. The security force is made up of military police and civilian security personnel who are trained to respond to a variety of situations, including active shooter incidents, bomb threats, and natural disasters. The base also conducts regular security drills and exercises to ensure that personnel are prepared for any emergency situation. Overall, Joint Base Andrews takes security very seriously and has a comprehensive set of protocols in place to protect its personnel and assets.
Joint Base Andrews Traveler’s Assistance is a program designed to provide support and assistance to military personnel and their families who are traveling to or from Joint Base Andrews. The program offers a range of services, including transportation, lodging, and information on local attractions and events. The goal of the program is to make travel as stress-free and enjoyable as possible for military personnel and their families.
One of the key services offered by Joint Base Andrews Traveler’s Assistance is transportation. The program provides shuttle services to and from the airport, as well as transportation to local attractions and events. This can be especially helpful for military personnel and their families who may not be familiar with the area and may not have access to a vehicle.
In addition to transportation, Joint Base Andrews Traveler’s Assistance also offers lodging assistance. The program can help military personnel and their families find affordable and comfortable lodging near the base or at their destination. This can be especially helpful for those who are traveling on a tight budget or who may be unfamiliar with the area. Overall, Joint Base Andrews Traveler’s Assistance is a valuable resource for military personnel and their families who are traveling to or from Joint Base Andrews.
Shops and Restaurants
Joint Base Andrews is a military installation located in Prince George’s County, Maryland. The base is home to a variety of shops and restaurants that cater to the needs of military personnel and their families. Here are some of the most popular shops and restaurants at Joint Base Andrews:
1. Base Exchange (BX) – The BX is a one-stop-shop for all your shopping needs. It offers a wide range of products, including clothing, electronics, home goods, and more.
2. Commissary – The commissary is a grocery store that offers a variety of products at discounted prices. It is a great place to stock up on essentials and save money.
3. Burger King – Burger King is a popular fast-food chain that serves burgers, fries, and other classic American fare. It is a great place to grab a quick bite to eat.
4. Subway – Subway is a sandwich shop that offers a variety of fresh sandwiches, salads, and sides. It is a great option for a healthy meal on the go.
5. Starbucks – Starbucks is a coffee shop that offers a variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as pastries and snacks. It is a great place to relax and enjoy a cup of coffee.
6. Popeyes – Popeyes is a fast-food chain that specializes in fried chicken and other Southern-style dishes. It is a great option for a quick and tasty meal.
7. Pizza Hut – Pizza Hut is a pizza chain that offers a variety of pizzas, wings, and sides. It is a great option for a family meal or a group gathering.
8. Taco Bell – Taco Bell is a fast-food chain that serves Mexican-inspired dishes, such as tacos, burritos, and nachos. It is a great option for a quick and tasty meal.
Overall, Joint Base Andrews offers a variety of shops and restaurants that cater to the needs of military personnel and their families. Whether you are looking for a quick bite to eat or a place to stock up on essentials, you are sure to find what you need at Joint Base Andrews.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Joint Base Andrews, located in Maryland, provides several prayer rooms and worship areas for its military personnel and their families. These areas are designed to accommodate individuals of different faiths and provide a peaceful environment for prayer and worship.
1. Chapel 1: This is the main chapel on the base and is located on Arnold Avenue. It is open to all military personnel and their families and provides services for various denominations, including Catholic, Protestant, and Jewish.
2. Chapel 2: This chapel is located on Perimeter Road and is primarily used for Protestant services. It also has a small prayer room for individual prayer and meditation.
3. Islamic Prayer Room: This prayer room is located in Building 1411 and is open to all Muslim military personnel and their families. It provides a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
4. Buddhist Meditation Room: This room is located in Building 1411 and is open to all Buddhist military personnel and their families. It provides a peaceful environment for meditation and reflection.
5. Hindu Prayer Room: This prayer room is located in Building 1411 and is open to all Hindu military personnel and their families. It provides a space for prayer and reflection.
Overall, Joint Base Andrews provides a variety of prayer rooms and worship areas to accommodate the diverse religious needs of its military personnel and their families. These areas are easily accessible and provide a peaceful environment for prayer and worship.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Joint Base Andrews is a military installation located in Prince George’s County, Maryland. It is home to several units of the United States Air Force, including the 11th Wing and the 89th Airlift Wing. The base offers a variety of facilities for its personnel, including WiFi and workspace facilities.
Joint Base Andrews provides WiFi facilities to its personnel, allowing them to stay connected to the internet while on base. The WiFi network is available in most areas of the base, including offices, barracks, and common areas. The network is secure and requires a login to access.
Joint Base Andrews offers a variety of workspace facilities to its personnel, including offices, conference rooms, and workstations. These facilities are equipped with modern technology and amenities, such as computers, printers, and teleconferencing equipment. The base also has a business center that provides administrative support services, such as printing, copying, and faxing.
In addition to these facilities, Joint Base Andrews has several other amenities that make it a comfortable and convenient place to work. These include a fitness center, dining facilities, and recreational areas. The base also has a medical clinic that provides healthcare services to its personnel.
Overall, Joint Base Andrews provides its personnel with a range of WiFi and workspace facilities that enable them to stay connected and productive while on base. These facilities are designed to meet the needs of modern military personnel and provide a comfortable and efficient work environment.
Joint Base Andrews offers a variety of lounges located throughout the base. Here is an overview of the lounges available:
- Top of the Bay Lounge: Located in the Clubhouse, this lounge is open to all personnel with base access. This lounge offers a variety of snacks, drinks, and televised sports events.
- Heritage Hall Lounge: Located in the Heritage Hall, this lounge is open to all personnel with base access. This lounge offers a variety of snacks, drinks, and pool tables.
- The Hangar Lounge: Located in the Hangar, this lounge is open to all personnel with base access. This lounge offers a variety of snacks, drinks, and live music.
- The Landing Zone Lounge: Located in the Landing Zone, this lounge is open to all personnel with base access. This lounge offers a variety of snacks, drinks, and video games.
Accomodation Options Nearby Joint Base Andrews
Joint Base Andrews, located near Camp Springs, Maryland, offers a range of accommodation options to meet various preferences and budgets. From affordable stays to lavish experiences, there are choices suited for everyone visiting or stationed at the base. Here, we present a comprehensive list of accommodation options available at Joint Base Andrews.
1. Lodging Facilities: On-base lodgings provide comfortable and convenient accommodations for military personnel and their families. These facilities often include guest rooms, suites, and family suites with amenities like Wi-Fi, televisions, and access to fitness centers. Lodging options may include:
– Gateway Inn and Suites: The primary lodging facility on base, offering affordable guest rooms and spacious suites with all necessary amenities.
– Visiting Quarters: These temporary lodging units provide comfortable accommodations for personnel on shorter stays, featuring home-like amenities.
2. Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLFs): TLFs cater to military members, retirees, and their families during Permanent Change of Station (PCS) moves or extended stays. These facilities feature fully furnished units with separate bedrooms, kitchens, and living areas. Some options include:
– Heritage Inn: These upscale TLF units provide a home-away-from-home experience with upgraded interiors and convenient amenities.
– Falcon Inn: Offering comfortable accommodations with a range of amenities, Falcon Inn provides a pleasant stay for PCS moves or extended stays.
3. Partner Hotels: Joint Base Andrews also has partnerships with various nearby hotels that offer discounted rates to military personnel. These options provide a wider range of choices for those looking for different styles of accommodations, and may include brands such as:
– Hilton Hotels: Conveniently located near the base, Hilton hotels offer a blend of comfort and luxury with premium amenities.
– Marriott Hotels: Popular hotel chain providing a variety of accommodation options, including extended stay suites, perfect for longer stays.
4. Off-Base Rentals and Apartments: For those preferring off-base accommodations, there are numerous rental apartments and houses available in the surrounding area. The options include a range of sizes, styles, and price points, allowing individuals to select a suitable home away from home.
5. Vacation Rental Homes: Various vacation rental platforms, such as Airbnb and VRBO, operate in the locality near Joint Base Andrews. These platforms offer a diverse selection of homes, apartments, and condos in different neighborhoods, accommodating various budgets and preferences. Users can explore listings that suit their needs for a short-term or extended stay.
6. Luxury Accommodations: While not located directly on the base, luxury hotels in nearby cities, such as Washington D.C., offer opulent accommodations and high-end amenities. These establishments include renowned brands such as The Ritz-Carlton, Four Seasons, and The St. Regis, where guests can expect exceptional service, spacious rooms, and luxurious facilities.
It’s important to note that availability, rates, and amenities can vary seasonally and are subject to change. Therefore, it is advisable to contact the respective accommodation provider or use trusted booking platforms to get the most up-to-date information and secure the best option that suits your individual needs and preferences.
1. National Harbor: Located just a short drive away from Joint Base Andrews, National Harbor is a popular waterfront destination offering a wide range of entertainment, including restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues. It is also home to the National Harbor Ferris Wheel, where visitors can enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of the area.
2. Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum: Situated in Washington, D.C., this world-renowned museum showcases the history and achievements of aviation and space exploration. Visitors can explore fascinating exhibits, view iconic aircraft and spacecraft, and learn about the pioneers who shaped modern aviation and space travel.
3. Old Town Alexandria: Located on the banks of the Potomac River, Old Town Alexandria is a charming historic district known for its cobblestone streets, 18th-century buildings, and quaint shops. Visitors can stroll along the picturesque waterfront, visit historic landmarks like George Washington’s Mount Vernon estate, or enjoy a meal at one of the many acclaimed restaurants.
4. U.S. Capitol: Situated in the heart of Washington, D.C., the U.S. Capitol is not only the seat of the United States Congress but also an architectural marvel. Guided tours give visitors the opportunity to explore the magnificent Rotunda, Statuary Hall, and see important legislative chambers where history is made.
5. National Mall: Stretching from the U.S. Capitol to the Lincoln Memorial, the National Mall is a vast expanse of iconic monuments, memorials, and museums. Visitors can pay their respects at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial, stand in awe of the Lincoln Memorial, or explore world-class museums such as the National Museum of American History and the National Gallery of Art.
6. The White House: Just a short distance away from Andrews Air Force Base, the White House is the official residence and workplace of the President of the United States. While tours of the interior are limited, visitors can still admire the neoclassical architecture from outside and take photos of one of the most recognized buildings in the world.
7. United States Holocaust Memorial Museum: Located in downtown Washington, D.C., this museum serves as a poignant reminder of the Holocaust, featuring exhibits, artifacts, and personal stories of survivors. It provides a thought-provoking and educational experience that encourages reflection on the consequences of intolerance and hate.
8. The National Zoo: Part of the Smithsonian Institution, the National Zoo is home to over 1,800 animals from around the world. Visitors can marvel at giant pandas, lions, tigers, and many other fascinating species as they stroll through beautifully landscaped grounds. The zoo also offers educational programs and activities for all ages.
9. George Washington’s Mount Vernon: Just a short drive from Joint Base Andrews, Mount Vernon was the beloved home of America’s first President, George Washington. Visitors can tour the mansion, explore beautifully landscaped gardens, and learn about Washington’s fascinating life and contributions to the founding of the United States.
10. United States Botanic Garden: Located at the foot of the U.S. Capitol, this living plant museum offers visitors the opportunity to discover and learn about a wide variety of exotic plants from around the world. The Botanic Garden’s greenhouses, outdoor gardens, and educational exhibits provide a tranquil and educational escape from the bustling city.
History of Joint Base Andrews
Joint Base Andrews is a military installation located in Prince George’s County, Maryland, just outside of Washington, D.C. The base was established in 1943 as Camp Springs Army Airfield, and was primarily used as a training facility for pilots during World War II. In 1947, the base was renamed Andrews Air Force Base in honor of Lieutenant General Frank M. Andrews, who was killed in an airplane crash in Iceland during World War II.
Over the years, Andrews Air Force Base has played a significant role in military operations, including serving as the primary air transportation hub for the President of the United States. The base is home to the 89th Airlift Wing, which operates a fleet of aircraft used for presidential and VIP transport, as well as the Air Force District of Washington, which provides support to the National Capital Region.
In 2009, Andrews Air Force Base was merged with Naval Air Facility Washington to form Joint Base Andrews, which is now home to over 20,000 military personnel and their families. The base continues to play a vital role in national defense and is an important part of the military community in the Washington, D.C. area.
Other Airports in Maryland, United States
- Baltimore/Washington International Thurgood Marshall Airport
- Hagerstown Regional Richard A Henson Field
- Joint Base Andrews
- Martin State Airport
- Patuxent River Naval Air Station (Trapnell Field)
- Phillips Army Air Field
- Salisbury Ocean City Wicomico Regional Airport
- Tipton Airport