Julius Nyerere International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Tanzania, located in the country’s commercial capital, Dar es Salaam. It serves as the main gateway for international and domestic flights, connecting Tanzania to various destinations across the world. The airport is named after Julius Nyerere, the first president of Tanzania, who played a significant role in the country’s independence movement.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Julius Nyerere International Airport
- Other Airports in Dar-es-Salaam Region, Tanzania
How to Get to Julius Nyerere International Airport
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the main airport in Tanzania and is located approximately 12 kilometers southwest of Dar es Salaam city center. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, private car, or public transportation.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to use a reputable taxi company or arrange for a taxi through your hotel. The journey to the airport takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic, and the cost is usually around 20-30 USD.
Private cars can also be arranged through your hotel or a car rental company. This option provides more flexibility and comfort, but can be more expensive than a taxi.
For those on a budget, public transportation is available in the form of buses and minibusses. These can be found at various locations throughout the city and are a cheaper option, but can be crowded and uncomfortable.
Overall, getting to Julius Nyerere International Airport is relatively easy and there are several options available to suit different budgets and preferences. It is recommended to plan ahead and allow plenty of time to reach the airport, especially during peak travel times.
Julius Nyerere International Airport, located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers a variety of transportation options for travelers to choose from. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal and are a convenient way to get to your destination. Make sure to negotiate the fare before getting in the taxi.
2. Airport Shuttle: Many hotels and resorts offer airport shuttle services to their guests. Check with your accommodation provider to see if they offer this service.
3. Car Rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, and Hertz. You can book a car in advance or at the airport upon arrival.
4. Public Transportation: The Dar es Salaam Rapid Transit (DART) system offers bus services to various parts of the city. The DART station is located just outside the airport terminal.
5. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available for those who prefer a more personalized and comfortable travel experience. These services can be booked in advance or upon arrival at the airport.
No matter which transportation option you choose, make sure to do your research and plan ahead to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey.
Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options available at the airport:
1. Short-term parking: This parking lot is located near the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for a few hours or a day. The parking rates are charged hourly, and the maximum daily rate is affordable.
2. Long-term parking: This parking lot is located a bit further from the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for a longer duration. The parking rates are charged daily, and the maximum weekly rate is affordable.
3. Valet parking: This parking option is available for those who want to save time and hassle. The valet parking service is located near the terminal building, and the staff will park your car for you. The parking rates are charged hourly, and the maximum daily rate is affordable.
4. Disabled parking: The airport offers designated parking spaces for disabled travelers. These parking spaces are located near the terminal building and are easily accessible.
5. Drop-off and pick-up zone: This area is located near the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to drop off or pick up passengers. The parking rates are charged hourly, and the maximum time limit is 30 minutes.
Overall, Julius Nyerere International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need short-term or long-term parking, valet parking, or disabled parking, the airport has got you covered.
Car Rental at Julius Nyerere International Airport
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the largest airport in Tanzania and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the older of the two and is used for domestic flights, while Terminal 2 is used for international flights.
Terminal 1 has a capacity of 1.5 million passengers per year and is equipped with basic facilities such as check-in counters, baggage handling systems, and a few shops and restaurants. The terminal has undergone some renovations in recent years to improve its facilities and services.
Terminal 2, on the other hand, is a modern and spacious terminal with a capacity of 6 million passengers per year. It has a wide range of facilities and services, including duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and a business center. The terminal also has a VIP section for high-profile passengers.
Both terminals are connected by a shuttle bus service, which operates every 15 minutes. The airport also has a range of transportation options, including taxis, buses, and car rental services. Overall, Julius Nyerere International Airport provides a comfortable and convenient travel experience for passengers flying in and out of Tanzania.
1. Air Tanzania
2. Ethiopian Airlines
3. Kenya Airways
4. Precision Air
6. Turkish Airlines
9. Qatar Airways
11. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
12. South African Airways
14. Oman Air
16. Swiss International Air Lines
17. Air Mauritius
18. Air Uganda
19. Coastal Aviation
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the largest airport in Tanzania and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers, staff, and cargo. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the latest security threats.
All passengers and their luggage are screened before entering the airport terminal building. The screening process includes metal detectors, X-ray machines, and explosive detection systems. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before passing through the security checkpoint. Liquids and gels are subject to the 100ml rule and must be placed in a clear plastic bag.
The airport also has a dedicated security team that patrols the terminal building and the surrounding areas. The team is trained to detect and respond to any security threats, including suspicious behavior, unattended baggage, and unauthorized access. The airport also has a CCTV system that monitors all areas of the terminal building and the apron.
In conclusion, Julius Nyerere International Airport has implemented robust security protocols to ensure the safety of all passengers, staff, and cargo. The airport’s security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the latest security threats. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport early to allow enough time for the security screening process.
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the largest airport in Tanzania and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs assistance.
Baggage handling services are available to help passengers with their luggage from the check-in counter to the boarding gate. This service is particularly useful for those with heavy or bulky luggage, or for those who require assistance due to mobility issues. Wheelchair assistance is also available for passengers who require it, and can be arranged in advance or upon arrival at the airport.
Immigration and customs assistance is provided to help passengers navigate the immigration and customs process. This service is particularly useful for first-time travelers or those who are unfamiliar with the procedures. The airport also has a dedicated information desk where passengers can get assistance with any queries or concerns they may have.
Overall, Julius Nyerere International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for passengers. These services are designed to cater to the needs of all travelers, regardless of their individual requirements.
Shops and Restaurants
Julius Nyerere International Airport, located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shop – offers a wide range of products including perfumes, cosmetics, electronics, and souvenirs.
2. Tanzanite Experience – specializes in Tanzanite jewelry, a rare gemstone found only in Tanzania.
3. Zara – a clothing store that offers a variety of fashion items for men, women, and children.
4. Swahili Modern – a store that sells handmade African crafts, including baskets, textiles, and jewelry.
5. Bookshop – offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers for travelers to read during their journey.
1. KFC – serves fast food favorites such as fried chicken, burgers, and fries.
2. Pizza Hut – offers a variety of pizzas, sides, and desserts.
3. Java House – a coffee shop that serves a range of hot and cold beverages, as well as sandwiches and pastries.
4. Kilimanjaro Restaurant – serves traditional Tanzanian cuisine, including grilled meats, stews, and rice dishes.
5. Subway – offers a selection of sandwiches, salads, and snacks.
Overall, Julius Nyerere International Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options for travelers to enjoy before their flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers of different faiths. These facilities are located in various parts of the airport terminal, making them easily accessible to passengers.
1. Muslim Prayer Room – Located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the arrivals area, the Muslim prayer room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with prayer mats, a Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Christian Chapel – The Christian chapel is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departures area. It is open 24 hours a day and offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
3. Hindu Prayer Room – The Hindu prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departures area. It is open 24 hours a day and provides a space for worship and meditation.
4. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departures area. It is open 24 hours a day and is designed to accommodate travelers of different faiths.
In conclusion, Julius Nyerere International Airport provides prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers of different faiths. These facilities are located in various parts of the terminal building and are open 24 hours a day, making them easily accessible to passengers.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Julius Nyerere International Airport in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive while waiting for their flights.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and check their emails, social media, and other online activities. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, and passengers can easily connect to it by selecting the “JNIA Free WiFi” network on their devices.
For passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flights, the airport offers several workspace facilities, including:
1. Business Lounge:
The airport’s business lounge provides a comfortable and quiet environment for passengers to work, relax, or catch up on some sleep. The lounge is equipped with comfortable seating, workstations, power outlets, and free WiFi access. Passengers can also enjoy complimentary snacks and beverages while they work.
2. Meeting Rooms:
The airport has several meeting rooms available for rent, which are ideal for business travelers who need to hold meetings or conferences. The meeting rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, high-speed internet access, and comfortable seating.
3. Charging Stations:
The airport has several charging stations located throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to charge their devices while waiting for their flights. The charging stations are equipped with multiple power outlets and USB ports, making it easy for passengers to charge their phones, tablets, laptops, and other devices.
In conclusion, Julius Nyerere International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive while waiting for their flights. Whether you need to work, study, or simply stay connected to the internet, the airport has everything you need to make your travel experience as comfortable and convenient as possible.
The Julius Nyerere International Airport in Tanzania has several lounges available for passengers to relax and enjoy while they wait for their flight. These lounges and their locations are listed below:
- Royal Palace Lounge – International Terminal
- Nyerere Lounge – International Terminal
- Kilimanjaro Lounge – Domestic Terminal
- Kiswahili Lounge – Domestic Terminal
- Lamu Lounge – Domestic Terminal
- Kigamboni Lounge – Domestic Terminal
Accomodation Options Nearby Julius Nyerere International Airport
Julius Nyerere International Airport, located in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, offers various accommodation options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are on a tight budget or seeking a luxurious experience, there are choices available for everyone at or around the airport. Here are some accommodation options at Julius Nyerere International Airport, ranging from the cheapest to the most luxurious:
1. Transit lounges: For budget-conscious travelers or those with short layovers, transit lounges within the airport provide a convenient and affordable option. These lounges offer comfortable seating, access to charging points, and sometimes complimentary refreshments.
2. Budget hotels: Near the airport, you can find a selection of budget-friendly hotels that offer comfortable rooms and basic amenities at affordable rates. These hotels are ideal for those looking for a short overnight stay or a simple place to rest before continuing their journey.
3. Mid-range hotels: If you seek a bit more comfort and amenities, there are several mid-range hotels located within a short distance from the airport. These hotels often provide spacious rooms, Wi-Fi access, airport shuttle services, and on-site dining options.
4. Business hotels: Travelers visiting for work or seeking additional facilities can opt for business hotels nearby. These accommodations usually offer well-equipped conference rooms, business centers, fitness facilities, and a range of services tailored to meet the needs of business travelers.
5. Boutique hotels: For a more personalized experience, boutique hotels in the vicinity of the airport provide unique accommodations with distinct character and charm. These hotels often offer stylish rooms, personalized service, and a cozy ambience, ensuring a pleasant stay.
6. Luxury resorts: If you are looking for opulent accommodations, some luxurious resorts and hotels are a short drive away from the airport. These establishments provide upscale rooms or suites, extravagant amenities like swimming pools, spa facilities, fine dining options, and impeccable service.
7. Airport transit hotel: Within the airport terminal, there is a transit hotel that offers comfortable rooms, allowing travelers with long layovers or early morning flights a chance to rest conveniently. These rooms often include modern furnishings, Wi-Fi access, and other amenities for a comfortable stay.
Remember to check the availability and book in advance to secure your preferred accommodation option at Julius Nyerere International Airport.
1. Mikumi National Park: Located approximately 300 km southwest of Julius Nyerere International Airport, Mikumi National Park is a popular safari destination. It offers a wide diversity of wildlife, including elephants, lions, giraffes, zebras, and numerous bird species.
2. Bongoyo Island: Situated just off the coast of Dar es Salaam, Bongoyo Island is a stunning marine reserve known for its crystal-clear waters, vibrant coral reefs, and pristine beaches. Visitors can enjoy snorkeling, swimming, and sunbathing in this serene oasis.
3. Mbudya Island: Another idyllic island getaway near the airport, Mbudya Island boasts picturesque beaches, turquoise waters, and abundant marine life. Travelers can indulge in snorkeling, diving, or simply relishing the tranquil atmosphere.
4. Village Museum: Located in Dar es Salaam, a short drive from the airport, this open-air museum offers a glimpse into Tanzania’s diverse cultural heritage. Visitors can explore authentically reconstructed traditional houses, witness various artistic displays, and observe traditional performances.
5. National Museum of Tanzania: Situated in Dar es Salaam, this museum showcases an extensive collection of artifacts, fossils, and archaeological treasures, providing insights into the country’s history, culture, and natural heritage.
6. Kariakoo Market: For a bustling and vibrant shopping experience, travelers can head to Kariakoo Market in Dar es Salaam. It offers a vast array of vendors selling local produce, spices, textiles, and handicrafts, making it perfect for souvenir shopping or immersing in the local culture.
7. Kunduchi Wet ‘N’ Wild Water Park: Located within close proximity to the airport, this water park guarantees fun and adventure for all ages. It features thrilling water slides, wave pools, lazy rivers, and numerous other water-based activities to keep visitors entertained.
8. Bagamoyo: Around a 50 km drive from the airport, Bagamoyo is a historical coastal town renowned for its UNESCO-listed sites and rich heritage. Visitors can explore the old town, visit colonial buildings, and learn about its importance as a trading hub in East Africa.
9. Mwenge Woodcarvers Market: Adjacent to Dar es Salaam, this vibrant market is the perfect destination for art enthusiasts. Visitors can admire and purchase intricately carved wooden sculptures, masks, jewelry, and other traditional crafts created by local artisans.
10. Slipway Shopping and Leisure Complex: Situated on the waterfront of the Indian Ocean, near the airport, Slipway offers a mix of shopping, dining, and recreational activities. Travelers can enjoy waterfront restaurants, browse through boutiques, or simply relax while overlooking the sea.
History of Julius Nyerere International Airport
Julius Nyerere International Airport is the largest airport in Tanzania and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport was originally known as Dar es Salaam International Airport and was built in the 1950s. It was later renamed in honor of Julius Nyerere, the first president of Tanzania, who played a significant role in the country’s independence movement.
Over the years, the airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to accommodate the growing number of passengers and airlines. In 2019, a new terminal was opened, increasing the airport’s capacity to handle up to six million passengers annually. The new terminal features modern facilities and amenities, including duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Julius Nyerere International Airport is a hub for several airlines, including Air Tanzania, Precision Air, and Fastjet. It serves as a major hub for travel within East Africa and connects Tanzania to destinations around the world. The airport plays a vital role in the country’s economy, facilitating trade and tourism and contributing to the growth of the aviation industry in Tanzania.
Other Airports in Dar-es-Salaam Region, Tanzania