Kadena Air Base is a United States Air Force base located in Okinawa, Japan. It is the largest and most active US Air Force installation in the Asia-Pacific region, serving as a hub for airpower projection and support throughout the region. The base is home to a variety of aircraft, including fighter jets, bombers, and reconnaissance planes.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kadena Air Base
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kadena Air Base
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kadena Air Base
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kadena Air Base
- Other Airports in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
How to Get to Kadena Air Base
Kadena Air Base is located in Okinawa, Japan. The easiest way to get to Kadena Air Base is by flying into Naha International Airport, which is located approximately 30 minutes away from the base. From the airport, you can take a taxi or a shuttle bus to Kadena Air Base.
If you are already in Okinawa and want to drive to Kadena Air Base, you can take the Okinawa Expressway and exit at the Kadena Interchange. From there, follow the signs to Kadena Air Base.
If you are traveling from mainland Japan, you can take a flight to Naha International Airport or take a ferry to Okinawa and then follow the directions above.
It is important to note that Kadena Air Base is a military installation and access is restricted. Visitors must have a valid reason for entering the base and must obtain a visitor pass from the Visitor Control Center.
Kadena Air Base, located in Okinawa, Japan, offers several transportation options for military personnel, their families, and civilians. Here are some of the transportation options available at Kadena Air Base:
1. Shuttle Bus Service: Kadena Air Base provides a free shuttle bus service for military personnel and their families. The shuttle bus runs on a fixed schedule and covers various locations on the base.
2. Taxi Service: Taxis are readily available at Kadena Air Base. The base has a designated taxi stand where passengers can easily find a taxi. Taxis are metered, and the fare depends on the distance traveled.
3. Rental Cars: Several car rental companies operate on Kadena Air Base. Military personnel and their families can rent a car at discounted rates. Rental cars are a convenient option for those who want to explore Okinawa on their own.
4. Public Transportation: Okinawa has an extensive public transportation system that includes buses and monorails. The base has a bus stop where passengers can catch a bus to various destinations on the island.
5. Bicycle Rental: Kadena Air Base offers bicycle rentals for military personnel and their families. Bicycles are a great way to explore the base and nearby areas.
6. Walking: Kadena Air Base is a pedestrian-friendly base, and walking is a popular mode of transportation. The base has several walking paths and sidewalks that make it easy to get around.
In conclusion, Kadena Air Base offers several transportation options for military personnel, their families, and civilians. Whether you prefer to take a shuttle bus, taxi, rental car, public transportation, bicycle, or walk, there is a transportation option that will suit your needs.
Kadena Air Base offers several car parking options for visitors and personnel. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Visitor Parking Lot – Located near the main gate, this parking lot is designated for visitors to the base. It is easily accessible and provides ample parking spaces.
2. BX Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the Base Exchange (BX) and is reserved for BX customers. It is a convenient option for those who need to shop at the BX.
3. Commissary Parking Lot – Located near the Commissary, this parking lot is reserved for Commissary customers. It is a convenient option for those who need to do grocery shopping.
4. Medical Clinic Parking Lot – This parking lot is located near the Medical Clinic and is reserved for patients and visitors to the clinic.
5. Fitness Center Parking Lot – Located near the Fitness Center, this parking lot is reserved for Fitness Center patrons.
6. Dormitory Parking Lot – This parking lot is reserved for dormitory residents and is located near the dormitories.
7. Officer Housing Parking Lot – This parking lot is reserved for officers and their families who live in on-base housing.
Overall, Kadena Air Base offers a variety of parking options to meet the needs of its visitors and personnel. It is important to note that parking regulations and restrictions are strictly enforced on base, so be sure to follow all posted signs and instructions.
Car Rental at Kadena Air Base
Kadena Air Base is a United States Air Force base located in Okinawa, Japan. The base is home to the 18th Wing, which is responsible for providing air support to the Pacific region. Kadena Air Base has two terminals, Terminal A and Terminal B, which serve as the main entry and exit points for military personnel and their families.
Terminal A is the larger of the two terminals and is used for commercial flights. It has a spacious waiting area, several restaurants and shops, and a duty-free store. The terminal also has a USO lounge, which provides a comfortable space for military personnel and their families to relax and unwind before their flights.
Terminal B is used for military flights and is located on the opposite side of the airfield from Terminal A. It has a smaller waiting area and fewer amenities than Terminal A, but it still provides a comfortable and convenient space for military personnel and their families to travel.
Both terminals at Kadena Air Base are staffed by friendly and helpful personnel who are dedicated to providing excellent customer service. They work hard to ensure that all passengers have a smooth and stress-free travel experience. Overall, Kadena Air Base terminals are well-maintained, efficient, and provide a comfortable and convenient travel experience for military personnel and their families.
The airlines that operate out of Kadena Air Base are:
1. Japan Airlines
2. United Airlines
3. Delta Air Lines
4. American Airlines
5. All Nippon Airways
6. Korean Air
7. AirAsia Japan
8. Peach Aviation
9. Jetstar Japan
10. Spring Airlines Japan
11. Vanilla Air
12. Hawaiian Airlines
Kadena Air Base is a United States Air Force base located in Okinawa, Japan. As a military installation, Kadena Air Base has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of its personnel and assets. The base is protected by a combination of physical barriers, surveillance systems, and armed security personnel.
Access to the base is tightly controlled, with all visitors required to pass through a series of checkpoints and undergo a thorough security screening. Vehicles entering the base are subject to inspection, and all personnel must present valid identification and be authorized to enter the installation.
In addition to these measures, Kadena Air Base also employs a range of advanced security technologies, including biometric scanners, facial recognition software, and intrusion detection systems. These systems are designed to detect and respond to any potential threats in real-time, allowing security personnel to quickly and effectively neutralize any potential danger.
Overall, Kadena Air Base’s security protocols are among the most advanced and effective in the world, ensuring that the base remains a safe and secure environment for all personnel and assets.
Kadena Air Base Traveler’s Assistance is a program designed to provide support and assistance to military personnel and their families who are traveling to or from Kadena Air Base in Okinawa, Japan. The program offers a range of services, including transportation, lodging, and information on local attractions and events.
One of the key benefits of the Traveler’s Assistance program is its transportation services. The program provides shuttle buses to and from the airport, as well as transportation to local hotels and other destinations. This can be especially helpful for travelers who are unfamiliar with the area and may not have their own transportation.
In addition to transportation, the Traveler’s Assistance program also offers lodging assistance. The program can help travelers find affordable and convenient lodging options near the base, including hotels and temporary housing. This can be particularly useful for military families who are relocating to the area and need a place to stay while they search for more permanent housing.
Overall, the Kadena Air Base Traveler’s Assistance program is a valuable resource for military personnel and their families who are traveling to or from Okinawa. With its range of services and knowledgeable staff, the program can help make the transition to a new location as smooth and stress-free as possible.
Shops and Restaurants
Kadena Air Base, located in Okinawa, Japan, offers a variety of shops and restaurants to meet the needs of its military personnel and their families. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. The Exchange: This is a one-stop-shop for all your needs, including clothing, electronics, toys, and more. It also features a food court with options like Subway, Burger King, and Starbucks.
2. The Shoppette: This convenience store offers a wide range of snacks, drinks, and other essentials. It also has a gas station for those who need to fill up their vehicles.
3. The Base Commissary: This is a grocery store that offers a variety of fresh produce, meats, and other food items at discounted prices.
4. The Kadena Officers’ Club: This is a great place to relax and socialize with other military personnel. It features a bar, restaurant, and event space for special occasions.
5. The Kadena Enlisted Club: This is a similar option to the Officers’ Club, but it is open to enlisted personnel. It also features a bar, restaurant, and event space.
6. The Kadena Bowling Center: This is a fun place to hang out with friends and family. It features a bowling alley, arcade games, and a snack bar.
7. The Kadena Movie Theater: This is a great place to catch the latest movies. It features multiple screens and comfortable seating.
Overall, Kadena Air Base offers a variety of shops and restaurants to meet the needs of its military personnel and their families. Whether you need groceries, clothing, or entertainment, you can find it all on base.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kadena Air Base, located in Okinawa, Japan, offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for its diverse community. Here are some of the locations:
1. Kadena Chapel: This is the main worship area on the base and is located near the main gate. It offers services for various denominations, including Protestant, Catholic, and Jewish.
2. Islamic Prayer Room: This prayer room is located in Building 721, near the Kadena Commissary. It is open 24/7 and provides a space for Muslim service members and their families to pray.
3. Buddhist Prayer Room: This prayer room is located in Building 721, near the Kadena Commissary. It is open 24/7 and provides a space for Buddhist service members and their families to pray.
4. Shinto Shrine: This shrine is located near the Kadena Air Base Hospital and is open to all service members and their families. It offers a space for those who practice Shintoism to worship and pray.
5. Latter-Day Saints Meetinghouse: This meetinghouse is located near the Kadena Air Base Exchange and offers services for members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.
Overall, Kadena Air Base provides a variety of prayer rooms and worship areas to accommodate the diverse religious needs of its community.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kadena Air Base, located in Okinawa, Japan, offers a variety of WiFi and workspace facilities to meet the needs of its personnel and visitors. Here are some of the facilities available:
1. WiFi: Kadena Air Base provides free WiFi access throughout the base. The WiFi network is secure and reliable, ensuring that users can stay connected at all times.
2. Cyber Café: The Cyber Café is a great place to work or study. It offers comfortable seating, ample desk space, and high-speed internet access. The café also has printing and scanning facilities available.
3. Library: The Kadena Air Base Library is a quiet and peaceful place to work. It offers a variety of resources, including books, magazines, and online databases. The library also has computers with internet access and printing facilities.
4. Community Center: The Community Center is a great place to work and socialize. It offers a variety of workspaces, including private offices, conference rooms, and open work areas. The center also has high-speed internet access and printing facilities.
5. Education Center: The Education Center is a great place to study and learn. It offers a variety of resources, including textbooks, study guides, and online courses. The center also has computers with internet access and printing facilities.
Overall, Kadena Air Base offers a variety of WiFi and workspace facilities to meet the needs of its personnel and visitors. Whether you need a quiet place to work or a social space to collaborate, Kadena Air Base has something for everyone.
Kadena Air Base offers several lounges for airmen and their families to enjoy. The following is a list of the lounges and their locations:
- McDonald Lounge – Located in Bldg. 745, across from the Exchange
- Laters Lounge – Located in Bldg. 745, across from the Exchange
- Kadena Club – Located in Bldg. 740, across from the Exchange
- O’Club – Located in Bldg. 745, across from the Exchange
- TK’s Lounge – Located in Bldg. 745, across from the Exchange
- Hickam Lounge – Located in Bldg. 745, across from the Exchange
Accomodation Options Nearby Kadena Air Base
Kadena Air Base, located in Japan’s Okinawa Prefecture, offers a range of accommodation options catering to the diverse needs of military personnel and their families. From affordable and convenient lodging to luxurious accommodations, Kadena Air Base strives to provide a comfortable and enjoyable stay for its residents. Here are the various accommodation options available:
1. Dormitories: Ideal for single military personnel, these budget-friendly accommodations offer a communal living environment. Dormitories usually consist of individual rooms with shared common areas and laundry facilities. They provide a practical and cost-effective solution for those seeking affordable lodging.
2. Temporary Lodging Facilities (TLFs): TLFs are furnished apartments designed for short-term stays, typically up to 30 days. These accommodations offer added privacy and comfort for military families who have recently arrived at Kadena Air Base. TLFs typically feature separate bedrooms, a kitchenette, and living spaces, making them suitable for longer stays as well.
3. Government Leased Housing: The Kadena Housing Office manages a range of government-leased homes within the local community. These accommodations offer families the opportunity to live in off-base housing while enjoying the convenience of base facilities and services. Government leased housing options can vary in size and amenities based on eligibility and availability, ensuring a comfortable living experience.
4. Military Family Housing: Kadena Air Base provides on-base housing for military families stationed at the base. These accommodations are well-suited for those seeking convenience, community, and proximity to base facilities. The housing options include townhomes, single-family homes, and high-rise apartments, with various amenities such as community centers, playgrounds, and sports facilities.
5. Privatized Housing: Under the Residential Communities Initiative (RCI), Kadena Air Base has partnered with private companies to manage and maintain privatized housing. These modern accommodations are designed with military families in mind, offering spacious floor plans, updated appliances, and community amenities like pools, fitness centers, and playgrounds. Privatized housing aims to provide a high standard of living for military personnel and their families.
6. Commercial Off-Base Housing: For those seeking more independent living arrangements, a myriad of commercial off-base housing options are available near Kadena Air Base. These include apartments, condominiums, and houses offering a variety of sizes, styles, and features. These accommodations cater to a wide range of budgets and preferences, with many situated within the local Okinawa community.
Remember to consult with the Kadena Housing Office or the Airman and Family Readiness Center for more information, eligibility criteria, and assistance in choosing the most suitable accommodation option. Whether you opt for the economical options, on-base housing, or the more luxurious arrangements, Kadena Air Base aims to ensure a comfortable and enjoyable stay for its service members and their families.
1. Okinawa World: Located a short distance from Kadena Air Base, Okinawa World offers a unique opportunity to experience the rich cultural heritage of Okinawa. Visitors can explore traditional houses, witness traditional dance performances, and try local crafts and foods.
2. Shuri Castle: As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Shuri Castle is a must-visit attraction near Kadena Air Base. This striking historical landmark was the royal palace of the Ryukyu Kingdom and offers a glimpse into Okinawa’s royal history.
3. Kokusai Street: Located in Naha, the capital city of Okinawa, Kokusai Street is a bustling shopping and entertainment district. Here, visitors can find an array of shops, restaurants, and bars, as well as enjoy the vibrant local nightlife.
4. Cape Manzamo: Known for its breathtaking natural beauty, Cape Manzamo is a scenic coastal attraction near Kadena Air Base. Visitors can enjoy panoramic views of the turquoise ocean and the unique rock formations, which make it perfect for photography and relaxation.
5. Churaumi Aquarium: Located within the Ocean Expo Park, Churaumi Aquarium ranks among the largest and most impressive aquariums in the world. Visitors can marvel at the diverse marine life, including whale sharks and manta rays, and learn about Okinawa’s marine ecosystem.
6. Nakagusuku Castle Ruins: This historical site offers an intriguing glimpse into ancient Okinawa. Dating back to the 14th century, the Nakagusuku Castle Ruins feature impressive stone walls and architectural elements, making it a fascinating destination for history enthusiasts.
7. Okinawa Prefectural Peace Memorial Museum: Located in Itoman City, this museum serves as a poignant reminder of the Battle of Okinawa during World War II. Through exhibits and displays, visitors can learn about the history and impact of the war on a local and global scale.
8. Ryukyu Mura: This open-air museum showcases the traditional Ryukyuan culture and lifestyle. Visitors can participate in hands-on experiences such as traditional craft-making, observe traditional performances, and savor local delicacies.
9. American Village: A popular entertainment district near Kadena Air Base, American Village offers a range of shopping, dining, and recreational activities. The vibrant atmosphere, with its mix of American and Japanese influences, attracts both locals and tourists alike.
10. Zakimi Castle: Another historically significant site, Zakimi Castle was once a fortification and provides visitors with a glimpse into the Ryukyu Kingdom’s past. Featuring well-preserved stone walls and panoramic views from the top, it offers a picturesque setting for enjoying Okinawa’s rich history.
These attractions offer a diverse range of experiences, from historical and cultural sites to natural wonders and leisure activities, making them enjoyable for both military personnel and their families stationed at Kadena Air Base.
History of Kadena Air Base
Kadena Air Base is a United States Air Force base located in Okinawa, Japan. The base was established in 1945, shortly after the end of World War II, and was initially used as a staging area for the occupation of Japan. In the years that followed, Kadena Air Base played a key role in the Korean War, providing support for U.S. and United Nations forces.
During the Vietnam War, Kadena Air Base was a major hub for air operations, serving as a base for B-52 bombers and other aircraft. The base also played a key role in the Gulf War, providing support for U.S. and coalition forces.
Today, Kadena Air Base is home to the 18th Wing, which is responsible for providing air support for U.S. and Japanese forces in the region. The base is also home to a number of other units, including the 353rd Special Operations Group and the 623rd Air Control Squadron. Kadena Air Base remains a vital part of U.S. military operations in the Pacific, and is an important symbol of the U.S.-Japan alliance.
Other Airports in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan
- Futenma Marine Corps Air Station
- Iejima Airport
- Kadena Air Base
- Kitadaito Airport
- Kumejima Airport
- Minamidaito Airport
- Miyako Airport
- Miyako Shimojishima Airport
- Naha Airport
- New Ishigaki Airport
- Tarama Airport
- Yonaguni Airport