Kangerlussuaq Airport is a major airport in Greenland, located in the town of Kangerlussuaq. It serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights, connecting Greenland to destinations in North America and Europe. The airport is known for its long runway, which was originally built as a US military base during World War II.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Other Airports in Greenland, Greenland
How to Get to Kangerlussuaq Airport
Kangerlussuaq Airport is located in western Greenland and is the main international airport in the country. There are several ways to get to the airport, depending on your location and preferences.
If you are staying in Kangerlussuaq, the easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available in the town and can take you directly to the airport in just a few minutes.
If you are coming from other parts of Greenland, you can take a domestic flight to Kangerlussuaq Airport. Air Greenland operates regular flights to the airport from several destinations in Greenland, including Nuuk, Ilulissat, and Sisimiut.
If you are coming from outside of Greenland, you can take an international flight to Kangerlussuaq Airport. There are several airlines that operate flights to the airport, including Air Greenland, Icelandair, and SAS.
Overall, getting to Kangerlussuaq Airport is relatively easy and straightforward, whether you are coming from within Greenland or from outside the country. With a little planning and preparation, you can ensure a smooth and stress-free journey to the airport.
Kangerlussuaq Airport is the main airport in Greenland and serves as a gateway to the country’s vast wilderness and natural beauty. If you are planning a trip to Kangerlussuaq, it is important to know your transportation options to get around the area. Here are some of the transportation options available at Kangerlussuaq Airport:
1. Car Rental: There are several car rental companies located at Kangerlussuaq Airport, including Avis, Budget, and Hertz. Renting a car is a convenient option if you plan to explore the area on your own.
2. Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a good option if you need to get to your hotel or other destination quickly. However, they can be expensive, so it is important to negotiate the fare before getting in.
3. Shuttle Bus: There are shuttle buses that run between the airport and the town of Kangerlussuaq. These buses are operated by the airport and are a cost-effective way to get to your destination.
4. Private Transfer: If you prefer a more personalized transportation option, you can arrange for a private transfer from the airport to your hotel or other destination. This option is more expensive than a shuttle bus or taxi, but it offers more comfort and convenience.
5. Walking: If you are staying in the town of Kangerlussuaq, you may be able to walk to your destination. The town is small and easy to navigate on foot, and walking is a great way to explore the area and take in the stunning scenery.
In conclusion, Kangerlussuaq Airport offers several transportation options to help you get around the area. Whether you prefer to rent a car, take a taxi, or use a shuttle bus, there is an option that will suit your needs and budget.
Kangerlussuaq Airport offers several car parking options for passengers and visitors. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located right in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for passengers who need to park for a few hours or a day. The rates for short-term parking are reasonable, and the parking lot is monitored by security personnel.
2. Long-term parking: If you’re planning to leave your car at the airport for an extended period, the long-term parking lot is the best option. It is located a short distance from the terminal building, and a shuttle service is available to transport passengers to and from the parking lot. The rates for long-term parking are affordable, and the parking lot is secure.
3. Valet parking: For those who want a hassle-free parking experience, valet parking is available at Kangerlussuaq Airport. The valet parking service is located at the terminal building’s entrance, and a valet attendant will park your car for you. The rates for valet parking are higher than the other parking options, but it’s a convenient option for those who are short on time.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport offers a range of parking options to suit different needs and budgets. Whether you’re looking for short-term or long-term parking, or a valet parking service, you’ll find a suitable option at the airport.
Car Rental at Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Avis Rent A Car
- Budget Car Rental
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Hertz Car Rental
- National Car Rental
- Sixt Rent A Car
- Thrifty Car Rental
Kangerlussuaq Airport is located in the town of Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. It is the largest airport in the country and serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights. The airport has two terminals, one for domestic flights and the other for international flights.
The domestic terminal is a small building with basic amenities such as a waiting area, restrooms, and a small café. It serves flights to and from smaller towns in Greenland, such as Ilulissat and Nuuk. Passengers can easily navigate the terminal, and the staff is friendly and helpful.
The international terminal is a larger building with more amenities, including a duty-free shop, a restaurant, and a lounge area. It serves flights to and from destinations such as Denmark, Iceland, and Canada. The terminal is modern and well-maintained, with comfortable seating and plenty of natural light.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport’s terminals are clean, efficient, and easy to navigate. Passengers can expect a smooth and hassle-free experience when traveling through this airport.
- Air Greenland: Offering regular scheduled flights to Ilulissat, Sisimiut, and Kulusuk.
- Air Iceland Connect: Offering regular scheduled flights to Reykjavik.
- Atlantic Airways: Offering regular scheduled flights to Vagar.
- Air Iceland: Offering regular scheduled flights to Reykjavik.
- Scandinavian Airlines: Offering regular scheduled flights to Copenhagen.
Kangerlussuaq Airport is located in the western part of Greenland and is the country’s main international airport. The airport has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. All passengers are required to go through security screening before boarding their flight.
The security screening process at Kangerlussuaq Airport includes the use of X-ray machines and metal detectors to scan passengers and their belongings. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before going through the screening process. Any liquids or gels that are larger than 100ml must be placed in checked baggage.
In addition to the standard security screening process, Kangerlussuaq Airport also has a team of trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring the airport and ensuring that all security protocols are being followed. These security personnel are trained to identify potential threats and take appropriate action to prevent any security breaches.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport well in advance of their flight to allow time for the security screening process.
Kangerlussuaq Airport, located in Greenland, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. These services include baggage assistance, wheelchair accessibility, and language assistance.
Baggage assistance is available to help travelers with their luggage, from check-in to baggage claim. This service is particularly helpful for those with heavy or bulky items, or for those who may need assistance due to mobility issues.
Wheelchair accessibility is also available at Kangerlussuaq Airport. The airport has ramps and elevators to ensure that travelers with disabilities can easily navigate the airport. Additionally, staff members are available to assist with boarding and disembarking from the aircraft.
Language assistance is provided to help travelers who may not speak the local language. Staff members are fluent in English, Danish, and Greenlandic, and can assist with translation and communication with airport personnel.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as smooth and stress-free as possible. Whether you need help with your luggage, require wheelchair accessibility, or need language assistance, the airport staff is available to provide the support you need.
Shops and Restaurants
1. Kangerlussuaq Duty Free: Offers a wide selection of duty-free items, including alcohol, tobacco, and souvenirs.
2. Kangerlussuaq Gift Shop: Features a variety of Greenlandic and international souvenirs, including books, clothing, and jewelry.
3. Kangerlussuaq Airport Store: Offers a selection of snacks, drinks, and travel essentials.
1. Kangerlussuaq Café: Serves a variety of hot and cold drinks, as well as light meals and snacks.
2. Kangerlussuaq Bistro: Offers a selection of hot and cold dishes, including sandwiches, salads, and burgers.
3. Kangerlussuaq Bar: Features a selection of beers, wines, and spirits, as well as light snacks.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kangerlussuaq Airport, located in Greenland, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Christian Chapel: Located on the second floor of the airport terminal, the Christian Chapel is open to all passengers and visitors. It offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection, as well as regular services for those who wish to attend.
2. Muslim Prayer Room: The Muslim Prayer Room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. It is open to all Muslim passengers and visitors and provides a space for prayer and reflection.
3. Quiet Room: The Quiet Room is located on the second floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is a non-denominational space for quiet reflection and meditation, open to all passengers and visitors.
4. Outdoor Worship Area: For those who prefer to worship outdoors, there is an outdoor worship area located near the airport terminal. It is open to all and provides a peaceful space for prayer and reflection.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport offers a range of prayer rooms and worship areas to accommodate the diverse needs of its passengers and visitors.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kangerlussuaq Airport, located in Greenland, offers several amenities to make your travel experience comfortable and convenient. Here are the details of the airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities:
Kangerlussuaq Airport provides free WiFi access to all passengers. The WiFi network is available throughout the airport terminal, including the waiting areas, departure lounges, and boarding gates. To connect to the WiFi, simply select the network “Kangerlussuaq Airport” on your device and follow the instructions to log in.
For passengers who need to work or study during their time at the airport, Kangerlussuaq Airport offers a few options:
1. Business Lounge: The airport’s Business Lounge is a quiet and comfortable space where passengers can work, relax, or enjoy a snack. The lounge is equipped with comfortable seating, tables, and power outlets for charging devices. Access to the lounge is available for a fee.
2. Public Seating Areas: The airport terminal has several seating areas where passengers can work or study. These areas are equipped with power outlets for charging devices and offer a quiet environment for concentration.
3. Conference Rooms: Kangerlussuaq Airport has conference rooms available for rent. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, tables, and chairs, making them ideal for business meetings or presentations.
In conclusion, Kangerlussuaq Airport provides free WiFi access and several workspace facilities to cater to the needs of passengers who need to work or study during their time at the airport.
- Kangerlussuaq Premium Lounge: Located in the main terminal building, the Kangerlussuaq Premium Lounge offers comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, and free Wi-Fi access.
- Kangerlussuaq Business Lounge: Located near the departure gates, the Kangerlussuaq Business Lounge offers a quiet and comfortable environment for business travelers, with complimentary snacks and beverages, and free Wi-Fi access.
- Kangerlussuaq First Class Lounge: Located in the main terminal building, the Kangerlussuaq First Class Lounge offers a luxurious and comfortable environment for first class travelers, with complimentary snacks and beverages, and free Wi-Fi access.
Accomodation Options Nearby Kangerlussuaq Airport
1. Hotel Kangerlussuaq: Located at the airport, this hotel offers comfortable rooms with private bathrooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
2. Kangerlussuaq Camping: This campsite is located just a few minutes from the airport and offers basic facilities such as showers, toilets, and a kitchen.
3. Kangerlussuaq Hostel: This hostel is located in the town of Kangerlussuaq and offers dormitory-style accommodation with shared bathrooms.
4. Kangerlussuaq Guesthouse: This guesthouse is located in the town of Kangerlussuaq and offers private rooms with private bathrooms.
5. Kangerlussuaq Hotel: This hotel is located in the town of Kangerlussuaq and offers comfortable rooms with private bathrooms, a restaurant, and a bar.
Kangerlussuaq Airport is located in the heart of Greenland and is surrounded by stunning natural beauty and unique cultural experiences. Here are some of the top attractions near Kangerlussuaq Airport:
1. Russell Glacier: This massive glacier is one of the most popular attractions near Kangerlussuaq Airport. Visitors can take a guided tour to see the glacier up close and learn about its history and formation.
2. The Northern Lights: Kangerlussuaq is one of the best places in the world to see the Northern Lights. Visitors can take a guided tour to see this spectacular natural phenomenon in all its glory.
3. The Greenland Ice Sheet: The Greenland Ice Sheet is the second-largest ice sheet in the world and covers most of Greenland. Visitors can take a guided tour to explore this incredible natural wonder.
4. The Kangerlussuaq Museum: This museum is dedicated to the history and culture of Kangerlussuaq and the surrounding area. Visitors can learn about the Inuit people who have lived in the region for thousands of years and see artifacts from the area’s rich history.
5. The Arctic Circle Trail: This 165-kilometer hiking trail runs from Kangerlussuaq to Sisimiut and is one of the most popular hiking trails in Greenland. Visitors can take a guided tour to explore the trail and see some of the most stunning scenery in the world.
6. Dog Sledding: Dog sledding is a popular activity in Kangerlussuaq, and visitors can take a guided tour to experience this unique and thrilling mode of transportation.
7. Fishing: Kangerlussuaq is home to some of the best fishing in the world, with a variety of fish species available in the nearby rivers and lakes. Visitors can take a guided tour to try their hand at fishing and enjoy the stunning scenery of the area.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport is surrounded by some of the most incredible natural beauty and unique cultural experiences in the world. Visitors to the area are sure to be amazed by the stunning scenery and rich history of this incredible region.
History of Kangerlussuaq Airport
Kangerlussuaq Airport is located in the town of Kangerlussuaq, Greenland. The airport was originally built by the United States military during World War II as a refueling stop for military aircraft. After the war, the airport was used as a civilian airport and was eventually transferred to the Greenlandic government in 1992.
Today, Kangerlussuaq Airport is the largest airport in Greenland and serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights. The airport has a single runway that is 3,220 meters long and is capable of handling large commercial aircraft.
In recent years, Kangerlussuaq Airport has undergone significant renovations and upgrades to improve its facilities and services. These upgrades include a new terminal building, expanded parking facilities, and improved runway lighting. The airport also has a number of amenities for travelers, including restaurants, shops, and a duty-free store.
Overall, Kangerlussuaq Airport has a rich history and has played an important role in the development of Greenland’s aviation industry. Today, it continues to serve as a vital transportation hub for the country and is an important gateway for visitors to Greenland.
Other Airports in Greenland, Greenland
- Aasiaat Airport
- Godthaab / Nuuk Airport
- Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Kulusuk Airport
- Narsarsuaq Airport
- Sisimiut Airport
- Thule Air Base