Kempegowda International Airport is the primary airport serving the city of Bangalore, India. It is located 40 kilometers north of the city center and is the third busiest airport in the country. The airport is named after Kempegowda, a ruler of the Vijayanagara Empire who founded Bangalore.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kempegowda International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kempegowda International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kempegowda International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kempegowda International Airport
- Other Airports in Karnataka, India
How to Get to Kempegowda International Airport
Kempegowda International Airport is located approximately 40 kilometers from the city center of Bangalore, India. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
One of the most convenient ways to get to the airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance. The journey to the airport takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic conditions.
Another option is to take a bus to the airport. The Bangalore Metropolitan Transport Corporation (BMTC) operates several bus routes that connect the city to the airport. These buses run at regular intervals throughout the day and are an affordable option for travelers.
If you prefer to drive yourself, there are several car rental companies that operate in Bangalore. You can rent a car and drive to the airport, or hire a driver to take you there. The journey takes approximately 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic conditions.
Overall, getting to Kempegowda International Airport is relatively easy and there are several options available to suit different budgets and preferences. Whether you choose to take a taxi, bus, or drive yourself, be sure to allow plenty of time to get to the airport, especially during peak travel periods.
Kempegowda International Airport, located in Bangalore, India, offers a variety of transportation options for travelers to choose from. Here are some of the most popular modes of transportation available:
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient option for travelers who want to reach their destination quickly. The airport has a dedicated taxi stand where passengers can hire a taxi.
2. Airport Shuttle: The airport shuttle service is a cost-effective option for travelers who want to save money on transportation. The shuttle service operates on a fixed schedule and stops at various locations in the city.
3. Car Rental: Car rental services are available at the airport for travelers who want to explore the city on their own. Several car rental companies have their counters at the airport, and passengers can choose from a variety of cars.
4. Public Transport: The airport is well-connected to the city’s public transport system, including buses and trains. Passengers can take a bus or train from the airport to reach their destination.
5. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available at the airport for travelers who want a more comfortable and personalized transportation experience. Passengers can book a private transfer in advance and enjoy a hassle-free journey.
In conclusion, Kempegowda International Airport offers a range of transportation options to suit every traveler’s needs and budget. Passengers can choose from taxis, airport shuttles, car rentals, public transport, and private transfers to reach their destination.
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India offers a variety of car parking options for travelers. Here are the different types of car parking and their locations:
1. Multi-Level Car Park: This is a covered parking facility located near the terminal building. It has a capacity of over 2,000 cars and is ideal for short-term parking.
2. Long-Term Car Park: This is an open-air parking facility located near the airport’s cargo terminal. It has a capacity of over 4,000 cars and is ideal for long-term parking.
3. Premium Car Park: This is a covered parking facility located near the terminal building. It offers premium services such as valet parking, car wash, and 24/7 security.
4. Valet Parking: This is a premium service offered at the terminal building. A valet will park your car for you and bring it back when you return.
5. Two-Wheeler Parking: This is an open-air parking facility located near the terminal building. It has a capacity of over 1,000 two-wheelers and is ideal for short-term parking.
All car parking facilities at Kempegowda International Airport are equipped with CCTV cameras and 24/7 security personnel to ensure the safety of your vehicle. The airport also offers shuttle services from the long-term car park to the terminal building.
Car Rental at Kempegowda International Airport
- Ace Rent A Car
- Omega Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
Kempegowda International Airport is the primary airport serving the city of Bangalore, India. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the older terminal and is used for domestic flights, while Terminal 2 is the newer terminal and is used for international flights.
Terminal 1 has a capacity of handling 20 million passengers annually and is spread over an area of 150,500 square meters. It has 12 boarding gates and is equipped with modern facilities such as lounges, restaurants, and duty-free shops. The terminal is well-connected to the city through various modes of transportation such as taxis, buses, and metro.
Terminal 2, on the other hand, has a capacity of handling 25 million passengers annually and is spread over an area of 255,000 square meters. It has 26 boarding gates and is equipped with state-of-the-art facilities such as automated check-in kiosks, self-baggage drop counters, and biometric boarding gates. The terminal also has lounges, restaurants, and duty-free shops. Terminal 2 is connected to the city through a dedicated airport expressway and metro.
Overall, Kempegowda International Airport’s terminals are modern and well-equipped to handle the growing number of passengers traveling to and from Bangalore. The airport has won several awards for its facilities and services, making it one of the best airports in India.
1. AirAsia India
2. Air India
3. Alliance Air
4. British Airways
5. Cathay Pacific
7. Etihad Airways
10. Jazeera Airways
11. Jet Airways
12. Kuwait Airways
14. Malaysia Airlines
15. Oman Air
16. Qatar Airways
20. SriLankan Airlines
21. Thai Airways
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India, has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The airport has a multi-layered security system that includes advanced technology and trained personnel. The security measures are in line with international standards and are regularly reviewed and updated to keep up with the latest threats.
The airport has installed state-of-the-art security equipment such as X-ray machines, metal detectors, and explosive detection systems. These machines are used to screen passengers, their luggage, and cargo. The airport also has a dedicated security team that is responsible for monitoring the security cameras and conducting random checks on passengers and their belongings.
In addition to the physical security measures, the airport has also implemented strict access control procedures. Only authorized personnel are allowed to enter restricted areas, and all visitors are required to undergo a security check before entering the airport. The airport also has a robust emergency response plan in place to deal with any security threats or incidents.
Overall, Kempegowda International Airport’s security protocols are designed to provide a safe and secure environment for passengers and staff. The airport’s commitment to security is evident in its investment in advanced technology and trained personnel. Passengers can travel with peace of mind knowing that their safety is a top priority at Kempegowda International Airport.
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for its passengers. The airport has a dedicated team of customer service representatives who are available 24/7 to assist travelers with any queries or concerns they may have.
One of the key services offered by the airport is the Meet and Greet service, which is designed to provide personalized assistance to passengers upon arrival or departure. This service includes a dedicated representative who will meet the passenger at the gate, assist with baggage, and guide them through the airport to their destination.
The airport also offers a range of other services, including baggage wrapping, baggage storage, and porter services. Additionally, there are several information desks located throughout the airport where passengers can obtain information on flights, airport facilities, and transportation options.
Overall, Kempegowda International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide a seamless and stress-free travel experience for passengers. With a dedicated team of customer service representatives and a range of convenient services, the airport is committed to ensuring that travelers have a comfortable and enjoyable journey.
Shops and Restaurants
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India, offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Here are some of the popular ones:
1. FabIndia: This store offers a range of Indian ethnic wear, home decor, and accessories.
2. The Body Shop: This store offers a range of skincare, makeup, and beauty products.
3. Hidesign: This store offers a range of leather bags, wallets, and accessories.
4. Swarovski: This store offers a range of crystal jewelry, watches, and accessories.
5. WHSmith: This store offers a range of books, magazines, and stationery.
1. Cafe Coffee Day: This cafe offers a range of coffee, tea, and snacks.
2. KFC: This restaurant offers a range of fried chicken, burgers, and sides.
3. Subway: This restaurant offers a range of sandwiches, salads, and sides.
4. Pizza Hut: This restaurant offers a range of pizzas, pasta, and sides.
5. Tiffin Center: This restaurant offers a range of Indian vegetarian food, including dosas, idlis, and curries.
Overall, Kempegowda International Airport offers a great shopping and dining experience for travelers.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India, offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors. These areas are located in different parts of the airport, making them easily accessible to everyone. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Kempegowda International Airport:
1. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: This prayer room is located on the ground floor of the airport’s terminal building, near the baggage claim area. It is open 24 hours a day and can accommodate people of all faiths.
2. Hindu Prayer Room: The Hindu prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport’s terminal building, near the domestic departure area. It is open 24 hours a day and is dedicated to Lord Shiva.
3. Muslim Prayer Room: The Muslim prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport’s terminal building, near the international departure area. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with facilities for ablution.
4. Christian Prayer Room: The Christian prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport’s terminal building, near the international departure area. It is open 24 hours a day and is dedicated to Jesus Christ.
5. Jain Prayer Room: The Jain prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport’s terminal building, near the domestic departure area. It is open 24 hours a day and is dedicated to Lord Mahavir.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are well-maintained and provide a peaceful environment for prayer and meditation. They are equipped with prayer mats, religious books, and other necessary facilities. Passengers and visitors of all faiths are welcome to use these facilities at Kempegowda International Airport.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kempegowda International Airport in Bangalore, India offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and their devices. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the web, check emails, and stay in touch with friends and family.
For passengers who need to work or study while at the airport, Kempegowda International Airport offers a range of workspace facilities. These include:
1. Business Lounges:
The airport has several business lounges that offer comfortable seating, workstations, and charging points. These lounges are perfect for business travelers who need to work or hold meetings while waiting for their flights.
2. Co-Working Spaces:
Kempegowda International Airport also has co-working spaces that are ideal for freelancers, entrepreneurs, and remote workers. These spaces offer high-speed internet, comfortable seating, and a quiet environment to work in.
3. Meeting Rooms:
For passengers who need to hold meetings or conferences, the airport has several meeting rooms that can be rented by the hour. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, high-speed internet, and comfortable seating.
Overall, Kempegowda International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
Kempegowda International Airport has a range of lounges available for its passengers to enjoy during their stay. Here is a list of the lounges, as well as their locations:
- Kingfisher Lounge – Domestic Departures, Level 2
- Airport Lounge – Domestic Departures, Level 2
- Plaza Premium Lounge – International Departures, Level 2
- Plaza Premium Lounge – Domestic Departures, Level 4
- Plaza Premium Lounge – International Departures, Level 4
- VIP Lounge – International Departures, Level 4
Accomodation Options Nearby Kempegowda International Airport
1. Transit Hotels: Located within the airport terminals, transit hotels offer convenient and affordable accommodation options for travelers looking for a short stay or overnight rest. These hotels typically offer basic amenities, comfortable beds, and often provide hourly rates.
2. Budget Hotels: Several budget hotels are located near Kempegowda International Airport, catering to travelers seeking comfortable and economical stays. These hotels usually offer clean and well-equipped rooms, 24-hour front desk service, and basic amenities such as Wi-Fi, TV, and an attached bathroom.
3. Mid-range Hotels: For those looking for a bit more comfort and additional services, mid-range hotels near the airport offer a range of options. These accommodations typically provide comfortable rooms with amenities like air conditioning, complimentary breakfast, fitness centers, business centers, and sometimes even shuttle services to and from the airport.
4. Luxury Hotels: If you prefer a more luxurious stay, Kempegowda International Airport also offers world-class luxury hotels nearby. These properties boast spacious rooms with elegant decor, premium amenities including spa facilities, swimming pools, fine dining options, and impeccable service to ensure a truly indulgent experience.
5. Airport Lounges: For travelers seeking a peaceful environment and access to various amenities, several airport lounges are available. These exclusive lounges often offer comfortable seating, complimentary refreshments, Wi-Fi, private workstations, shower facilities, and entertainment options, allowing travelers to relax and rejuvenate during layovers or delays.
It is advisable to book accommodation in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to ensure availability and secure the best rates.
1. Devanahalli Fort: Located just 12 kilometers from Kempegowda International Airport, Devanahalli Fort is a historically significant attraction. Built in the 16th century, it offers a glimpse into the rich heritage of the region and provides panoramic views of the surrounding countryside.
2. Nandi Hills: A popular hill station located around 40 kilometers from the airport, Nandi Hills is a serene retreat with beautiful landscapes and pleasant weather. Visitors can enjoy activities like trekking, picnicking, and paragliding, while also exploring ancient temples and fortresses nestled amidst the hills.
3. Lumbini Gardens: Situated just 5 kilometers from the airport, Lumbini Gardens is a waterfront leisure park perfect for a family outing. The park features boating facilities, a wave pool, and various rides, providing an enjoyable experience for both children and adults.
4. Bhoga Nandeeshwara Temple: About 18 kilometers from the airport, this ancient temple complex is an architectural marvel. Dedicated to Lord Shiva, it consists of various temples built in different eras, showcasing different styles of South Indian temple architecture.
5. Bannerghatta National Park: Located around 48 kilometers from the airport, this expansive wildlife sanctuary offers an educational and thrilling experience. Visitors can take a safari to witness exotic animals such as tigers, lions, and elephants, or explore the butterfly park and the zoo within the park.
6. Bangalore Palace: Situated approximately 35 kilometers from the airport, Bangalore Palace is a splendid example of Tudor-style architecture. This historic landmark, resembling the Windsor Castle, features magnificent interiors, lush gardens, and hosts cultural events throughout the year.
7. Visvesvaraya Industrial and Technological Museum: Located approximately 27 kilometers from the airport, this museum is dedicated to the achievements of Sir M. Visvesvaraya, a renowned engineer and statesman. The interactive exhibits here educate visitors about various scientific and technological concepts in an engaging manner.
8. Innovative Film City: Situated around 54 kilometers from the airport, Innovative Film City is an entertainment complex offering the perfect blend of amusement and learning opportunities. It features a theme park, wax museum, dinosaur park, and a Ripley’s Believe It or Not museum, among other attractions.
9. HAL Aerospace Museum: Located approximately 13 kilometers from the airport, this museum showcases the evolution of the Indian aviation industry. Visitors can explore a wide range of aircraft, engine models, and enjoy flight simulators, making it an excellent destination for aviation enthusiasts.
10. Nrityagram Dance Village: Situated about 25 kilometers from the airport, Nrityagram Dance Village is a unique space that preserves and promotes classical Indian dance forms. Visitors can witness dance performances, interact with artists, and soak in the serene ambiance of this cultural haven.
Please note that the distances mentioned are approximate and may vary based on the route taken.
History of Kempegowda International Airport
Kempegowda International Airport, also known as Bengaluru International Airport, is located in the city of Bangalore, India. The airport was named after Kempegowda, a ruler of Bangalore in the 16th century. The airport was inaugurated in May 2008 and replaced the old HAL Bangalore International Airport.
The airport is spread over an area of 4,000 acres and has a capacity to handle 20 million passengers annually. It is the third busiest airport in India after Delhi and Mumbai. The airport has two runways and a single terminal building that is divided into four levels. The terminal building has a total floor area of 150,500 square meters and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and a business center.
In 2013, the airport was awarded the “Best Regional Airport in Central Asia” by Skytrax. The airport has also won several other awards for its services and facilities. In 2019, the airport handled over 33 million passengers and was ranked as the 29th busiest airport in the world. The airport has played a significant role in the growth of Bangalore as a major IT hub and has contributed to the economic development of the region.
Other Airports in Karnataka, India
- Belagavi Airport
- Bellary Airport
- Bidar Airport / Bidar Air Force Station
- HAL Airport
- Hubli Airport
- Jakkur Aerodrome
- Kempegowda International Airport
- Mangalore International Airport