Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the largest airport in Zambia and serves as the main gateway to the country. Located in the capital city of Lusaka, the airport is named after the first President of Zambia, Kenneth Kaunda, and offers a range of domestic and international flights.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
- Other Airports in Lusaka Province, Zambia
How to Get to Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the main airport in Zambia and is located approximately 27 kilometers northeast of the capital city, Lusaka. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, private car, or public transportation.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to book one in advance to ensure availability and avoid any potential scams. Taxis can be booked through various companies or through your hotel. The journey from Lusaka to the airport takes approximately 30-45 minutes, depending on traffic.
Private cars can also be hired through various companies or rental agencies. This option provides more flexibility and allows you to travel at your own pace. However, it is important to note that driving in Zambia can be challenging, especially for those unfamiliar with the roads and traffic laws.
Public transportation is also available, with buses and minibusses operating between Lusaka and the airport. This option is the most affordable but can be crowded and uncomfortable, especially during peak hours.
Overall, there are several options for getting to Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, and it is important to choose the one that best suits your needs and budget. Regardless of the mode of transportation, it is recommended to allow plenty of time to reach the airport, especially during peak travel periods.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the largest airport in Zambia and serves as the main gateway for international travelers visiting the country. To help you get around, here are some transportation options available at the airport:
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The fares are usually negotiable, so it’s best to agree on a price before getting in.
2. Car rental: If you prefer to drive yourself, car rental services are available at the airport. You can choose from a variety of vehicles, including sedans, SUVs, and 4x4s.
3. Airport shuttle: Some hotels and guesthouses offer airport shuttle services to their guests. It’s best to check with your accommodation provider in advance to see if they offer this service.
4. Public transportation: Buses and minibusses are available outside the airport, but they can be crowded and uncomfortable. It’s best to use them only if you’re on a tight budget.
5. Private transfers: If you want a more comfortable and hassle-free option, you can book a private transfer in advance. This service is usually provided by tour operators or travel agencies and can be arranged online.
No matter which transportation option you choose, always make sure to confirm the price and details before getting in the vehicle. With these options, you can easily get to your destination from Kenneth Kaunda International Airport.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in Lusaka, Zambia offers a variety of car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The first 30 minutes of parking are free, and then a fee is charged for each additional hour.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The parking rates are affordable and vary depending on the length of stay.
3. VIP parking: This parking area is reserved for VIPs and is located closest to the terminal building. It offers a high level of security and convenience, with a dedicated entrance and exit.
4. Disabled parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is reserved for travelers with disabilities. It offers easy access to the terminal and is equipped with special facilities for disabled travelers.
Overall, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short period of time or an extended stay, there is a parking area that will meet your needs.
Car Rental at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the largest airport in Zambia and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a capacity of 2 million passengers per year and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is used exclusively for domestic flights. It has a capacity of 500,000 passengers per year and is equipped with basic facilities such as check-in counters and waiting areas. The terminal is located a short distance from Terminal 1 and is easily accessible by shuttle bus.
Both terminals at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport are well-maintained and offer a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers. The airport is constantly upgrading its facilities to meet the growing demand for air travel in Zambia. Passengers can expect efficient check-in and security procedures, as well as friendly and helpful staff. Overall, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that provides a positive first impression of Zambia for visitors.
1. Ethiopian Airlines
3. South African Airways
4. Kenya Airways
5. Proflight Zambia
7. Malawian Airlines
8. Air Tanzania
9. British Airways
10. TAAG Angola Airlines
12. Turkish Airlines
13. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
14. Air Namibia
16. Mahogany Air
18. Air Zimbabwe
19. Precision Air
20. Qatar Airways.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the largest airport in Zambia and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers, staff, and cargo. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the latest security threats.
All passengers and their luggage are screened before entering the airport terminal building. The screening process includes the use of X-ray machines, metal detectors, and explosive detection systems. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before passing through the security checkpoint. Any prohibited items such as weapons, sharp objects, and liquids over 100ml are confiscated.
The airport also has a dedicated security team that patrols the terminal building and the surrounding areas. The team is trained to detect and respond to any security threats quickly and efficiently. In addition, the airport has installed CCTV cameras throughout the terminal building to monitor all activities and ensure the safety of passengers and staff. Overall, the security protocols at Kenneth Kaunda International Airport are designed to provide a safe and secure environment for all travelers.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, located in Lusaka, Zambia, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s staff is dedicated to providing exceptional customer service and assistance to all passengers, regardless of their needs.
For passengers with disabilities or reduced mobility, the airport offers wheelchair assistance and special assistance services. These services include assistance with check-in, security screening, and boarding, as well as assistance with baggage collection and transportation. The airport also has designated parking spaces for passengers with disabilities.
Passengers traveling with children can take advantage of the airport’s family-friendly facilities, including baby changing rooms and play areas. The airport also offers a range of dining and shopping options, as well as currency exchange services and ATMs.
For passengers in need of medical assistance, the airport has a medical center staffed by qualified medical professionals. The medical center provides first aid services, as well as medical consultations and emergency treatment.
Overall, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is committed to providing exceptional traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, located in Lusaka, Zambia, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shop – offers a wide range of products including liquor, tobacco, perfumes, and cosmetics.
2. Bookstore – offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers.
3. Souvenir Shop – offers a variety of Zambian handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
4. Convenience Store – offers snacks, drinks, and travel essentials.
1. Mugg & Bean – a popular South African chain that offers a variety of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options.
2. KFC – offers fast food options such as fried chicken, burgers, and fries.
3. Java Junction – offers coffee, tea, and light snacks.
4. Zambezi Bistro – offers a selection of African and international cuisine.
In addition to these options, there are also several bars and lounges available for travelers to relax and enjoy a drink before their flight. Overall, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of all travelers.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in Lusaka, Zambia, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers of different faiths. These areas are located in various parts of the airport terminal, providing easy access to passengers who wish to pray or meditate before their flights.
1. Christian Chapel – Located on the ground floor of the terminal building, near the arrivals area, the Christian Chapel is a quiet and peaceful space for Christian travelers to pray and reflect. The chapel is open 24/7 and features a cross, a pulpit, and seating for up to 20 people.
2. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim Prayer Room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departure gates. It is open 24/7 and provides a clean and quiet space for Muslim travelers to perform their daily prayers. The room is equipped with prayer mats, a Qibla direction indicator, and a washing area.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The Multi-Faith Prayer Room is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departure gates. It is open 24/7 and welcomes travelers of all faiths to pray or meditate in a peaceful and quiet environment. The room is equipped with prayer mats, cushions, and a meditation area.
4. Catholic Chapel – The Catholic Chapel is located on the first floor of the terminal building, near the departure gates. It is open 24/7 and provides a quiet and peaceful space for Catholic travelers to pray and reflect. The chapel features a crucifix, a tabernacle, and seating for up to 20 people.
In conclusion, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport offers a range of prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers of different faiths. These areas are conveniently located within the terminal building and provide a peaceful and quiet environment for passengers to pray or meditate before their flights.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport in Lusaka, Zambia offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that travelers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and check their emails, social media, and other online activities.
Workspace: For those who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers a number of comfortable and well-equipped workspaces. These include the VIP lounge, which provides a quiet and private environment with comfortable seating, power outlets, and free WiFi. There are also several cafes and restaurants in the airport that offer seating areas with power outlets and WiFi, making them ideal for working or studying.
Meeting Rooms: The airport also has a range of meeting rooms available for hire, which are ideal for business travelers who need to hold meetings or conduct interviews while at the airport. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, WiFi, and comfortable seating, making them perfect for small business meetings.
Overall, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that travelers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport. Whether you need to work, study, or hold a meeting, the airport has everything you need to stay productive and connected.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport has a variety of lounges for travelers to relax in before their flights. Here is a list of the lounges available.
- The Aviator Lounge: Located in the departures area of Terminal 1.
- The Executive Lounge: Located in the international departures area of Terminal 1.
- The Sky Lounge: Located in the international departures area of Terminal 2.
- The Sky Bar: Located in the domestic departures area of Terminal 1.
- The Sky View Lounge: Located in the domestic departures area of Terminal 1.
Accomodation Options Nearby Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, located in Lusaka, Zambia, offers a variety of accommodation options to suit different budgets and preferences. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly stay or luxurious comfort, here are some options available near the airport:
1. Transit/Day Rooms: For travelers with a short layover or those seeking budget-friendly accommodations, there are transit or day rooms available at the airport. These rooms offer basic amenities and offer a convenient place to rest or freshen up during your stay.
2. Guesthouses and Lodges: Nearby the airport, you can find a range of guesthouses and lodges that provide comfortable accommodations at affordable prices. These establishments often offer clean and well-maintained rooms with basic amenities, making them a great option for budget-conscious travelers.
3. Bed and Breakfasts: There are several charming bed and breakfast establishments in the vicinity, offering a homely atmosphere and personalized service. These accommodations often provide comfortable rooms with breakfast included, making it a convenient choice for a pleasant stay.
4. Hotels: For those seeking a more comprehensive range of amenities and services, there are numerous hotels located within close proximity to the airport. These hotels offer a variety of room options, from standard to executive suites, catering to various budgets. They usually provide additional facilities such as restaurants, bars, fitness centers, and conference rooms.
5. International Chain Hotels: Luxury-seekers can opt for internationally renowned chain hotels that offer a top-notch experience near the airport. These upscale accommodations feature spacious and elegantly decorated rooms, excellent dining options, spa facilities, swimming pools, and other amenities to ensure a luxurious stay.
6. Safari Lodges: If you wish to extend your stay and explore the splendid Zambian wildlife, there are safari lodges located a short distance from the airport. These lodges provide an immersive natural experience with well-appointed rooms, guided safaris, nature walks, and other activities.
Remember to book your accommodation in advance to secure the best rates and availability.
1. Lusaka National Park: Located just 25 kilometers from Kenneth Kaunda International Airport, Lusaka National Park is a must-visit attraction for nature lovers. This park offers an incredible opportunity to experience Zambia’s diverse wildlife, including zebras, giraffes, elephants, and various bird species.
2. Munda Wanga Environmental Park: Situated approximately 16 kilometers from the airport, Munda Wanga Environmental Park is a beautiful sanctuary where visitors can encounter and learn about rescued animals and enjoy serene botanical gardens.
3. Kabwata Cultural Village: Only 10 kilometers away from the airport, Kabwata Cultural Village is a vibrant hub showcasing Zambia’s rich cultural heritage. Visitors can explore traditional handicrafts, artwork, and clothing, while also enjoying live music and dance performances.
4. Kalimba Reptile Park: Situated just 2 kilometers from the airport, Kalimba Reptile Park is ideal for those fascinated by reptiles. This sanctuary houses an impressive collection of snakes, crocodiles, and tortoises, offering educational and interactive experiences.
5. Chaminuka Game Reserve: Located around 50 kilometers from the airport, Chaminuka Game Reserve offers an unforgettable safari experience. Visitors can spot a wide variety of African wildlife, enjoy game drives, and even stay overnight in luxury lodges.
6. Lilayi Elephant Nursery: A short drive of 9 kilometers from the airport will take you to the Lilayi Elephant Nursery, where orphaned elephants are cared for. Visitors can tour the facility and learn about conservation efforts to protect these majestic creatures.
7. National Museum of Lusaka: Situated around 18 kilometers from the airport, the National Museum offers a fascinating insight into Zambia’s history and culture. Visitors can explore exhibits on traditional art, ancient artifacts, and informative displays on the country’s independence.
8. Lusaka Playhouse: Only 15 kilometers away from the airport, the Lusaka Playhouse is perfect for theater enthusiasts. This cultural landmark hosts a variety of productions, including plays, musicals, and ballet performances throughout the year.
9. Lusaka Golf Club: If you enjoy golf, a visit to the Lusaka Golf Club, located just 5 kilometers from the airport, is a must. This prestigious club offers a challenging 18-hole course amidst beautiful surroundings, attracting both local and international players.
10. Lilayi Lodge: Adjacent to the elephant nursery, Lilayi Lodge provides a unique experience for wildlife enthusiasts. With luxury accommodations, first-class dining, and opportunities for game drives and walking safaris, this lodge offers a memorable stay close to the airport.
History of Kenneth Kaunda International Airport
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is the largest airport in Zambia and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport was originally known as Lusaka International Airport and was renamed in honor of Kenneth Kaunda, the first president of Zambia, in 2011. The airport is located approximately 27 kilometers from the capital city of Lusaka and covers an area of 4,200 hectares.
The airport was first opened in 1967 and was initially used for domestic flights only. However, with the growth of the aviation industry in Zambia, the airport was expanded to accommodate international flights. In 2012, a new terminal building was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity to handle up to 4 million passengers per year.
Kenneth Kaunda International Airport is equipped with modern facilities and amenities, including duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges. The airport also has a number of airlines operating from its premises, including Ethiopian Airlines, Emirates, South African Airways, and British Airways.
In recent years, the airport has undergone significant upgrades and renovations to improve its infrastructure and services. These improvements have included the installation of new security systems, the expansion of the runway, and the construction of a new cargo terminal. As a result, Kenneth Kaunda International Airport has become a major hub for air travel in Southern Africa and continues to play a vital role in the country’s economy.
Other Airports in Lusaka Province, Zambia