Kigali International Airport is the main airport serving the city of Kigali, the capital of Rwanda. It is located about 10 kilometers east of the city center and is the largest airport in the country. The airport serves as a hub for RwandAir, the national carrier of Rwanda, and offers flights to various destinations in Africa, Europe, and the Middle East.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kigali International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kigali International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kigali International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kigali International Airport
- Other Airports in Kigali Province, Rwanda
How to Get to Kigali International Airport
Kigali International Airport is located in the capital city of Rwanda, Kigali. There are several ways to get to the airport, depending on your location and preference.
If you are staying in Kigali, the easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked through a taxi app. The journey to the airport takes around 20-30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a bus. There are several bus companies that operate services to the airport from different parts of the city. The buses are affordable and reliable, but the journey time can be longer due to multiple stops along the way.
If you are coming from outside Kigali, you can take a private car or a shuttle service. Many hotels and tour operators offer airport transfer services, which can be booked in advance. Alternatively, you can hire a car and drive yourself to the airport.
Overall, getting to Kigali International Airport is relatively easy and straightforward. Whether you choose to take a taxi, bus, or private car, make sure to allow enough time to get to the airport and check-in for your flight.
Kigali International Airport is the main airport in Rwanda, serving both domestic and international flights. There are several transportation options available for travelers arriving at the airport, including:
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient way to get to your destination. They are metered, and the fare will depend on the distance traveled.
2. Airport Shuttle: Several shuttle services operate from the airport, offering shared or private transfers to various destinations in Kigali. These shuttles are usually pre-booked and can be a cost-effective option for groups or families.
3. Car Rental: Many car rental companies have offices at the airport, and visitors can rent a car to explore the city and surrounding areas. It is advisable to book in advance to ensure availability.
4. Public Transport: Public buses and minibusses are available from the airport to various parts of the city. However, they can be crowded and may not be the most comfortable option for travelers with luggage.
5. Private Car: Private car services are available for hire at the airport, offering a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services are usually pre-booked and can be a good option for business travelers or those looking for a more luxurious experience.
Overall, there are several transportation options available at Kigali International Airport, catering to different budgets and preferences. Visitors are advised to research and book in advance to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey.
Kigali International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are charged hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are charged daily.
3. Valet parking: This service is available for travelers who prefer to have their car parked for them. The valet parking area is located in front of the terminal building, and the rates are charged hourly.
4. Disabled parking: Kigali International Airport offers designated parking spaces for travelers with disabilities. These spaces are located in the short-term parking area and are available at no extra charge.
5. VIP parking: This parking area is reserved for VIPs and is located close to the terminal building. The rates for VIP parking are charged daily.
Overall, Kigali International Airport provides a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short or long period of time, or require special assistance, there is a parking option available for you.
Car Rental at Kigali International Airport
Kigali International Airport is the main airport in Rwanda and serves as a hub for several airlines. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a capacity of 6 million passengers per year and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Terminal 2, on the other hand, is a smaller terminal that is used exclusively for VIP and private flights. It has a capacity of 150,000 passengers per year and is equipped with luxurious amenities such as private lounges, meeting rooms, and concierge services.
Both terminals are well-maintained and offer a comfortable and efficient travel experience for passengers. The airport also has a range of services such as currency exchange, ATMs, and baggage storage facilities. Additionally, the airport has implemented strict health and safety measures to ensure the safety of passengers during the COVID-19 pandemic. Overall, Kigali International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that provides a pleasant travel experience for passengers.
2. Ethiopian Airlines
3. Kenya Airways
4. Turkish Airlines
5. Qatar Airways
6. Brussels Airlines
7. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
8. Air Tanzania
12. Precision Air
13. South African Airways
14. Air Uganda
15. Air France
16. Air Mauritius
17. Air Peace
18. ASKY Airlines
19. Coastal Aviation
22. LAM Mozambique Airlines
24. Skyward Express
25. Uganda Airlines.
Kigali International Airport is the main airport in Rwanda and serves as a gateway to the country. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the changing security landscape.
Passengers are required to go through several security checks before boarding their flights. These checks include baggage screening, body scanning, and metal detection. The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring the airport premises and ensuring that all security protocols are followed.
In addition to the physical security measures, the airport has also implemented advanced technology to enhance security. This includes the use of CCTV cameras, facial recognition technology, and biometric scanners. These technologies help to identify potential threats and prevent them from entering the airport.
Overall, Kigali International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. The airport’s commitment to security has earned it a reputation as one of the safest airports in Africa.
Kigali International Airport is the main airport in Rwanda and serves as a gateway to the country for international travelers. The airport offers a range of traveler assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs assistance.
Passengers with special needs can request wheelchair assistance at the airport. The airport staff is trained to provide assistance to passengers with disabilities, including those who are visually impaired or have mobility issues. The airport also has designated parking spaces for passengers with disabilities.
Immigration and customs assistance is available for passengers who require additional support during the immigration and customs process. This service is particularly useful for first-time travelers or those who are not familiar with the immigration and customs procedures in Rwanda.
Baggage handling is another important service offered at Kigali International Airport. The airport has a baggage handling system that ensures that passengers’ luggage is safely transported to their destination. Passengers can also request assistance with their luggage if they need help carrying it.
Overall, Kigali International Airport offers a range of traveler assistance services to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and stress-free travel experience. The airport staff is friendly and helpful, and they are always available to assist passengers with any questions or concerns they may have.
Shops and Restaurants
Kigali International Airport is a modern and well-equipped airport that offers a range of shopping and dining options for travelers. Here are some of the shops and restaurants you can find at the airport:
1. Duty-Free Shop: This shop offers a wide range of tax-free products, including perfumes, cosmetics, chocolates, and liquor.
2. Bookstore: If you’re looking for some reading material for your flight, the airport’s bookstore has a good selection of books, magazines, and newspapers.
3. Souvenir Shop: This shop is perfect for travelers who want to take home some unique and authentic Rwandan souvenirs, such as traditional clothing, handicrafts, and artwork.
4. Convenience Store: This store offers a range of snacks, drinks, and other travel essentials, such as toiletries and electronics.
1. Cafe Javas: This popular restaurant chain offers a range of breakfast, lunch, and dinner options, including sandwiches, burgers, salads, and pasta dishes.
2. Bourbon Coffee: This coffee shop serves a range of hot and cold beverages, including Rwandan coffee, tea, and smoothies, as well as light snacks and pastries.
3. Simba Grill: This restaurant specializes in grilled meats and seafood, as well as vegetarian options, and offers a range of sides and salads.
4. Pizza Inn: If you’re in the mood for pizza, this restaurant offers a range of classic and specialty pizzas, as well as salads and sides.
Overall, Kigali International Airport has a good selection of shops and restaurants that cater to a range of tastes and preferences, making it a comfortable and convenient place to spend some time before your flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kigali International Airport, also known as Kanombe International Airport, is the main airport in Rwanda. The airport has several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors to use. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Kigali International Airport:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim prayer room is located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. The prayer room is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with prayer mats and a Qibla direction indicator.
2. Christian Chapel – The Christian chapel is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. The chapel is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with a Bible, hymnals, and prayer books.
3. Meditation Room – The meditation room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. The room is open 24 hours a day and is designed for quiet reflection and meditation.
4. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. The room is open 24 hours a day and is designed for people of all faiths to use for prayer and reflection.
All of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Kigali International Airport are free to use and open to all passengers and visitors. They provide a peaceful and quiet space for people to pray, meditate, or reflect before or after their flights.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kigali International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
For passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flights, Kigali International Airport offers several workspace facilities. These include:
1. Business Lounge:
The airport has a business lounge that provides a quiet and comfortable environment for passengers to work or relax. The lounge is equipped with comfortable seating, workstations, and charging points for electronic devices.
2. Meeting Rooms:
Kigali International Airport has several meeting rooms that can be rented by passengers who need to hold business meetings or conferences. The meeting rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment, high-speed internet, and comfortable seating.
The airport has several workstations located throughout the terminal building, providing passengers with a quiet and comfortable space to work. The workstations are equipped with power outlets and high-speed internet, making it easy to stay connected and productive.
In conclusion, Kigali International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights. Whether you need to work, study, or simply stay connected, the airport has everything you need to make the most of your time.
Kigali International Airport offers travelers a range of lounges to make their journey more comfortable. Here is a list of the lounges available at the airport and where they are located:
- Kigali Airport Lounge: Located in the International Departures Hall
- RwandAir Kigali Premier Lounge: Located in the International Departures Hall
- Kigali Business Lounge: Located in the International Departures Hall
- VIP Lounge: Located in the International Departures Hall
Accomodation Options Nearby Kigali International Airport
Kigali International Airport, the bustling gateway to Rwanda, offers a range of accommodation options catering to different budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget-conscious traveler or seeking luxurious indulgence, you will find something to suit your needs, ensuring a comfortable and convenient stay.
1. Transit Hotels:
For those seeking a short stay or utmost convenience, transit hotels are available within the airport premises. These provide basic accommodations perfect for a quick rest during layovers or overnight stays. They typically offer comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and essential amenities at an affordable price, making them a popular choice for travelers on a tight budget.
2. Airport Hotels:
In close proximity to the airport, several hotels offer convenient and comfortable stays for travelers. These hotels cater to various budgets, providing different room types, including standard rooms and suites. Along with comfortable accommodation, they often offer additional amenities such as onsite restaurants, fitness centers, and airport shuttle services, ensuring a hassle-free experience.
3. Budget Hotels:
Located a short drive away from the airport, budget hotels cater to the needs of cost-conscious travelers. Though more economical, these establishments offer clean and comfortable rooms with basic amenities. While amenities may be limited, you can expect friendly service, cozy rooms, and a convenient location at an affordable price.
4. Mid-range Hotels:
For those seeking a balance between affordability and comfort, mid-range hotels near Kigali International Airport are an ideal choice. These hotels provide well-appointed rooms furnished with modern amenities, such as flat-screen TVs, minibars, and complimentary Wi-Fi. Additionally, they often feature onsite restaurants, swimming pools, and business centers, ensuring a pleasant stay without breaking the bank.
5. Luxury Hotels:
For the ultimate indulgence, luxury hotels near Kigali International Airport offer opulence and world-class service. These properties boast spacious rooms or suites with elegant decor, plush bedding, and breathtaking views. Guests can enjoy exceptional amenities such as gourmet restaurants, spa facilities, fitness centers, and swimming pools. Accompanied by impeccable hospitality, these hotels offer a truly luxurious experience for discerning travelers.
When planning your visit to Kigali International Airport, consider the above accommodation options to find the perfect fit for your budget and preferences. From transit hotels for a quick stopover to luxury establishments for a lavish stay, there is something for everyone at this bustling travel hub.
1. Kigali Genocide Memorial: Located just a few kilometers away from the airport, the memorial is a must-visit to understand and pay homage to the tragic history of the Rwandan Genocide.
2. Nyamata Genocide Memorial: Another significant memorial, this location was once a church where thousands sought refuge during the genocide. Today, it commemorates and educates about the horrifying events that took place.
3. Inema Arts Center: Offering a vibrant and creative atmosphere, this contemporary art center showcases the talents of local artists. Visitors can appreciate unique paintings, sculptures, and participate in workshops.
4. Kimironko Market: A bustling local market where you can experience the colorful sights and sounds of Rwandan life. Browse through a variety of products including vibrant textiles, fresh produce, and local crafts.
5. Mount Kigali: For nature enthusiasts, Mount Kigali offers a picturesque hiking experience just outside the city. Enjoy stunning views and immerse yourself in the serene beauty of the surrounding landscapes.
6. Presidential Palace Museum: Once the residence of the former Rwandan president, this museum provides insight into the country’s recent history. Walk through the preserved rooms and gardens to gain a deeper understanding of Rwanda’s political landscape.
7. Natural History Museum: Located in the heart of Kigali, this museum showcases the country’s rich biodiversity, cultural heritage, and geological wonders. It offers a fantastic opportunity to learn about Rwanda’s natural treasures.
8. Inzora Rooftop Café: Situated near the airport, this charming café is famous for its relaxing ambience and panoramic views of Kigali. Enjoy a cup of Rwandan coffee or tea while soaking in the stunning cityscape.
9. Kimisagara Football for Hope Center: This center combines sport and community development to empower and inspire young people. Visit to witness the positive impact of football and the resilience of the local community.
10. Caplaki Craft Village: A few minutes’ drive from the airport, this vibrant craft village is a treasure trove of Rwandan craftsmanship. Explore the stalls and find beautiful handcrafted souvenirs, from woven baskets to traditional pottery.
Please note that the availability and accessibility of these attractions may vary, so it is advisable to check operating hours, entry requirements, and safety recommendations before visiting.
History of Kigali International Airport
Kigali International Airport is the main airport in Rwanda and serves as the gateway to the country. The airport was first established in 1952 as a small airfield with a grass runway. It was later upgraded to a tarmac runway in 1975, and in 1984, a new terminal building was constructed to accommodate the growing number of passengers.
In 2002, the airport underwent a major renovation and expansion project, which included the construction of a new terminal building, a new control tower, and the extension of the runway. The new terminal building was designed to reflect the traditional Rwandan architecture and features a modern and spacious interior.
Today, Kigali International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that serves over 700,000 passengers annually. It is the hub for RwandAir, the national carrier of Rwanda, and serves as a connecting point for flights to other destinations in Africa and beyond. The airport has won several awards for its excellent facilities and services, including the Best Airport in Africa award in 2017 and 2018.
Other Airports in Kigali Province, Rwanda