The Kirinbit Airstrip is a small airfield located in the remote highlands of Papua New Guinea. Serving as a vital transportation link for the local communities, it provides access to essential services and supplies for the isolated region.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kirinbit Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kirinbit Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kirinbit Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kirinbit Airstrip
- Other Airports in East Sepik, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Kirinbit Airstrip
To get to Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, you can follow these steps. Firstly, book a flight to Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. Several major airlines offer international flights to Port Moresby, so choose the one that suits you best. Once you arrive at Jacksons International Airport in Port Moresby, take a domestic flight to Tabubil Airport. This flight is typically operated by regional airlines like Air Niugini or Travel Air.
After reaching Tabubil Airport, arrange for ground transportation to Kirinbit Airstrip. This can be done by hiring a local taxi or arranging a transfer service through your accommodation provider. The drive from Tabubil Airport to Kirinbit Airstrip is around 2-3 hours, depending on the road conditions.
Alternatively, if you prefer a more adventurous journey, you can also consider taking a helicopter charter from Tabubil to Kirinbit Airstrip. Helicopter charters can be arranged through various aviation companies operating in Papua New Guinea.
It’s essential to keep in mind that Papua New Guinea’s transportation infrastructure can sometimes be challenging, with limited options and remote locations. Therefore, it’s advisable to plan your travel well in advance, check for any flight schedule changes, and ensure you have adequate arrangements for ground transportation from Tabubil to Kirinbit Airstrip.
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options for travelers to conveniently access the region.
1. Domestic Flights: The most common transportation option to reach Kirinbit Airstrip is through domestic flights operated by various airlines. Flights are available from major airports in Papua New Guinea, such as Port Moresby, Lae, or Mount Hagen. These flights provide a quick and efficient way to reach Kirinbit Airstrip, making it a convenient option for travelers.
2. Private Charters: For those who prefer more flexibility and privacy, private charter flights are also available to Kirinbit Airstrip. Private charters allow travelers to customize their flight schedule and route, providing a more personalized and efficient travel experience. This option is suitable for individuals or groups traveling together who may have specific requirements or a tight itinerary.
3. Road Transportation: While Kirinbit Airstrip is primarily accessed by air, road transportation can be arranged for those who prefer to combine air and land travel. From the airstrip, ground transportation options such as cars, taxis, or minibusses can be arranged to reach various destinations within Papua New Guinea. Local transportation providers can offer reliable services to explore the nearby towns or attractions, ensuring a smooth and convenient journey.
4. Helicopter Transfers: For travelers seeking a unique and scenic mode of transportation, helicopter transfers can also be arranged to reach Kirinbit Airstrip. Helicopters offer a faster alternative to road transportation and provide stunning aerial views of the picturesque landscapes of Papua New Guinea. This option is particularly popular among tourists looking to experience the natural beauty of the region from above.
5. Organized Tours: Many tour operators and travel agencies offer organized tours that include transportation to Kirinbit Airstrip as part of their itinerary. These tours often provide a comprehensive travel experience, combining air and ground transportation with guided activities and accommodations. Joining these tours can be a convenient and hassle-free way to explore the region while enjoying the expertise and knowledge of local guides.
In conclusion, Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides a range of transportation options to suit different preferences and travel needs. Whether travelers prefer air travel, private charters, road transportation, helicopter transfers, or organized tours, there are ample options available to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey to this beautiful region.
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient car parking facilities for travelers. Situated in a serene and picturesque location, this airstrip ensures that visitors have a hassle-free experience when it comes to parking their vehicles.
The car parking area at Kirinbit Airstrip is easily accessible and located in close proximity to the airport terminal. Its strategic placement enables travelers to conveniently park their cars and quickly reach the departure or arrival areas without wasting time.
The car parking facilities at Kirinbit Airstrip are well-maintained, providing a safe and secure environment for vehicles. Visitors can rest assured that their cars will be protected as they embark on their journey or wait for their loved ones to arrive.
The staff at Kirinbit Airstrip’s car parking area are friendly and professional, ensuring that travelers receive excellent service. They are readily available to assist with any parking-related queries and make every effort to accommodate the needs of the passengers.
Furthermore, the rates for car parking at Kirinbit Airstrip are reasonable, offering good value for money. Whether it’s a short-term visit or a longer stay, travelers can find suitable parking options that fit their requirements and budget.
Overall, Kirinbit Airstrip’s car parking facilities in Papua New Guinea are a dependable choice for visitors seeking a secure and convenient parking solution. With their well-maintained spaces and excellent staff, travelers can start their journey with peace of mind, knowing that their vehicles are in good hands.
Car Rental at Kirinbit Airstrip
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in the heart of Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub for both domestic and international travelers. The airport features a well-equipped terminal, catered to meet the needs of passengers arriving and departing from this remote region. The terminal stands as a testament to modern infrastructure and efficient operations.
Upon entering the Kirinbit Airstrip terminal, visitors are greeted by a clean and spacious environment. The airport infrastructure ensures a smooth flow of passengers, with well-organized check-in counters and adequate seating areas for waiting passengers. The terminal is equipped with modern amenities, including free Wi-Fi connectivity, which enables travelers to stay connected during their journey.
The terminal at Kirinbit Airstrip also hosts various services and facilities to enhance passenger comfort and convenience. Duty-free shops offer a range of products, catering to both local and international tastes. Additionally, visitors can enjoy a variety of dining options, allowing them to savor local delicacies or opt for familiar international cuisines.
Overall, Kirinbit Airstrip’s terminal prides itself on its efficient layout, modern amenities, and passenger-oriented services. The airport’s commitment to providing a comfortable and hassle-free experience ensures a positive impression on both domestic and international travelers passing through this gateway to Papua New Guinea.
Unfortunately, there is limited information available regarding the operating airlines at Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. However, some airlines that have been known to operate to and from this airport in the past include:
1. Air Niugini
2. PNG Air
3. Sirinumu Dam Project
4. Adventist Aviation Services
Please note that this information may not be up to date, and it is best to check with the airlines directly or consult a local travel agency for the most accurate and current flight information.
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, ensures the safety and security of its passengers through a well-established set of protocols. The airport maintains a vigilant approach to safeguarding both passengers and aircraft from any potential threats.
Access control is a crucial aspect of the security protocols at Kirinbit Airstrip. The airport uses multiple layers of screening and identity verification to ensure that only authorized personnel and passengers gain entry. Passengers are required to present valid identification, which is carefully checked against their boarding passes. Additionally, baggage screening and random personal searches are conducted to detect any prohibited items that may compromise safety.
The airport also implements stringent measures to protect the aircraft. A secure perimeter encloses the airfield, preventing unauthorized access and ensuring the safety of parked planes. Around-the-clock monitoring of the airfield by security personnel and surveillance cameras further enhances the level of security. Any suspicious activity is promptly reported and investigated to maintain a secure environment for all.
Furthermore, Kirinbit Airstrip collaborates closely with various law enforcement agencies and intelligence organizations to ensure a robust security system. Regular security briefings and training sessions are conducted for airport staff to maintain and enhance their vigilance. The airport also adheres to international safety standards and regulations, ensuring that security protocols are regularly updated and aligned with industry best practices.
In summary, Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea prioritizes the safety and security of passengers and aircraft. Access control measures, robust perimeter security, continuous monitoring, and collaboration with law enforcement agencies contribute to maintaining a safe environment for all. By implementing comprehensive security protocols, Kirinbit Airstrip aims to instill confidence and peace of mind in its passengers while upholding international safety standards.
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub for travelers seeking to explore the stunning natural beauty and cultural heritage of the region. As one of the main entry points to this remote part of the country, it offers essential traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and enjoyable journey.
First and foremost, Kirinbit Airstrip provides reliable flight services, connecting travelers to various destinations within Papua New Guinea. With a focus on safety and efficiency, airlines operating at the airstrip offer regular flights, allowing visitors to conveniently access the surrounding areas. The availability of these flights is particularly significant for adventurers seeking to explore the unspoiled landscapes, lush rainforests, and pristine beaches that Papua New Guinea is renowned for.
Additionally, Kirinbit Airstrip offers essential traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and hassle-free experience. Travelers can find information centers staffed by knowledgeable personnel who are ready to provide guidance on local attractions, accommodations, and transportation options. These centers also offer assistance with travel permits, visa extensions, and other necessary documentation, ensuring visitors are well-prepared for their exploration of the region.
Moreover, Kirinbit Airstrip is equipped with necessary facilities such as clean restrooms, waiting areas, and baggage handling services, ensuring the convenience and comfort of travelers. Local vendors often set up stalls nearby, offering a variety of snacks, refreshments, and handicrafts, giving visitors a taste of Papua New Guinea’s unique cultural heritage.
In summary, Kirinbit Airstrip serves as a vital gateway to Papua New Guinea, offering essential traveler’s assistance services to enhance the journey of those seeking to discover the natural wonders and cultural richness of this remote destination. With reliable flight services, information centers, and necessary facilities, the airstrip ensures that travelers have a seamless and enjoyable experience while exploring this enchanting part of the world.
Shops and Restaurants
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers and locals alike. Whether you are waiting for a flight or simply passing through the area, these establishments provide a convenient and enjoyable experience.
1. Souvenir Shop: The Kirinbit Airstrip’s souvenir shop is the perfect place to find unique and traditional Papua New Guinean handicrafts. From intricately carved wooden masks to vibrant woven baskets, you can take home a piece of the local culture as a memento of your visit.
2. Convenience Store: For those in need of basic supplies or snacks, the convenience store at Kirinbit Airstrip is well-stocked. You can find a variety of items such as toiletries, beverages, snacks, and even reading materials. It’s a convenient stop to grab any essentials before continuing your journey.
3. Local Cuisine Restaurant: Craving a taste of authentic Papua New Guinean cuisine? Look no further than the restaurant at Kirinbit Airstrip. This eatery specializes in traditional dishes prepared with local ingredients, providing a true culinary experience. Whether you’re in the mood for a hearty seafood platter or a flavor-packed curry, the restaurant offers a variety of options to satisfy your taste buds.
4. Coffee Shop: If you’re in need of a caffeine fix or a quick bite, the coffee shop at Kirinbit Airstrip is an excellent choice. Serving freshly brewed coffee, specialty beverages, and light snacks, it’s the perfect spot to relax and recharge before or after your flight. Enjoy a cup of Papua New Guinean coffee while taking in the serene surroundings.
5. Bakery: Indulge your sweet tooth with a visit to the bakery at Kirinbit Airstrip. Offering a delectable array of freshly baked goods, including pastries, cakes, and bread, this establishment ensures that you won’t go hungry during your time at the airstrip. Grab a tasty treat to enjoy on the go or savor it in a cozy corner of the bakery.
Overall, Kirinbit Airstrip’s shops and restaurants provide a convenient and enjoyable experience for travelers and locals alike. Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, everyday essentials, local cuisine, a coffee break, or a sweet treat, these establishments have you covered. So, make sure to explore these offerings during your time at Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers and locals alike. These designated spaces provide a serene environment for individuals to engage in personal reflection, prayer, and religious practices.
The prayer rooms at Kirinbit Airstrip are strategically positioned within the airport premises to ensure easy accessibility and a peaceful atmosphere. Passengers and visitors can find these prayer rooms located within the main terminal building, near the departure and arrival areas. The airport management has taken great care to ensure that these spaces are clean, quiet, and well-maintained, catering to the diverse religious needs of individuals passing through the airport.
The worship areas at Kirinbit Airstrip offer a dedicated space for communal religious gatherings and ceremonies. These areas are thoughtfully designed to accommodate various religious practices and can be found in close proximity to the main terminal building. Visitors can seek solace in these worship areas, which are equipped with necessary facilities and amenities to facilitate religious rituals and gatherings.
Additionally, Kirinbit Airstrip recognizes the importance of religious diversity and aims to provide inclusive spaces for people of different faiths. The prayer rooms and worship areas are designed to accommodate various religious traditions, allowing individuals to practice their beliefs comfortably while traveling or waiting for their flights.
Travelers and locals can rely on the prayer rooms and worship areas at Kirinbit Airstrip as peaceful sanctuaries, enabling them to find solace, engage in prayer, and connect with their spiritual selves. These facilities reflect the airport’s commitment to promoting a harmonious and inclusive environment for all individuals, regardless of their religious affiliations.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of travelers and professionals alike. With its commitment to providing a convenient and productive environment, Kirinbit Airstrip ensures that visitors have access to essential amenities.
The WiFi facilities at Kirinbit Airstrip are designed to provide reliable and high-speed internet connectivity. Whether you need to check your emails, browse the web, or stream videos, the WiFi network ensures a seamless online experience. This feature is particularly useful for business travelers who need to stay connected and make important online transactions.
In addition to WiFi, Kirinbit Airstrip also offers well-equipped workspace facilities. Whether you need a quiet corner to work on your laptop or a dedicated area for meetings and collaborations, the airport provides suitable spaces to meet your needs. These workspaces are designed to be comfortable and conducive to productivity, allowing you to focus and accomplish your tasks efficiently.
The availability of WiFi and workspace facilities at Kirinbit Airstrip adds immense convenience to travelers. It eliminates the need to search for a reliable internet connection or a suitable workspace, saving valuable time and effort. Whether you are a business traveler needing to catch up on work or a digital nomad looking for a temporary office space, Kirinbit Airstrip ensures that you have access to the necessary amenities.
Overall, Kirinbit Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides WiFi and workspace facilities to cater to the needs of its visitors. With its commitment to convenience and productivity, the airport strives to create a comfortable and efficient environment for travelers and professionals. So, whether you need to catch up on emails, attend online meetings, or simply work on your projects, Kirinbit Airstrip has got you covered.
Accomodation Options Nearby Kirinbit Airstrip
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options catering to various budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget-conscious traveler or seeking luxury and comfort, you are likely to find a suitable place to stay near the airstrip. Let’s explore the diverse range of accommodation options available at Kirinbit Airstrip:
1. Village Homestays: For an authentic cultural experience, consider staying in a village homestay within close proximity to the airstrip. These accommodations offer basic amenities and provide a unique opportunity to immerse yourself in the local way of life. Interact with friendly locals, indulge in traditional cuisine, and discover the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea.
2. Budget Guesthouses: If you prefer affordable yet comfortable accommodation, there are several budget guesthouses available near Kirinbit Airstrip. These guesthouses typically offer clean rooms with basic amenities such as beds, shared bathrooms, and communal areas. While the facilities may be simple, the friendly hosts and cozy ambiance make it an excellent choice for budget-conscious travelers.
3. Lodges and Resorts: The surrounding area of Kirinbit Airstrip is also home to several lodges and resorts that provide mid-range accommodation options. These lodges offer more amenities and services than budget guesthouses, including private bathrooms, comfortable beds, and common areas for relaxation. Enjoy the natural beauty of the region while staying in comfortable and convenient lodging.
4. Eco-Retreats: For travelers seeking a unique experience amidst nature, there are eco-retreats around Kirinbit Airstrip. These accommodations are often nestled within lush tropical surroundings, offering eco-friendly facilities and comfortable amenities. Embrace sustainable living, explore nearby hiking trails, and enjoy the tranquility of the natural environment.
5. Luxury Resorts: If you are looking for a touch of luxury and indulgence, there are a few high-end resorts located near Kirinbit Airstrip. These resorts provide spacious and beautifully appointed rooms, private bathrooms, exquisite dining options, spa facilities, and various recreational activities. Immerse yourself in luxury while enjoying stunning panoramic views and world-class service.
Please note that although Kirinbit Airstrip may offer several accommodation options, it is advisable to contact each establishment directly for availability, rates, and additional details.
1. Mount Wilhelm: Located approximately 100 kilometers northeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, Mount Wilhelm is the highest peak in Papua New Guinea, standing at 4,509 meters. It offers breathtaking views, challenging hiking trails, and the chance to see rare plant and animal species.
2. Nature Park, Lae: Situated around 200 kilometers southeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Nature Park in Lae is a beautiful green space that showcases Papua New Guinea’s diverse flora and fauna. It is home to over 150 species of native birds, reptiles, and mammals, making it a must-visit attraction for nature enthusiasts.
3. Laloki River: Approximately 50 kilometers southwest of Kirinbit Airstrip lies the Laloki River. This pristine waterway is popular for its natural beauty and recreational activities such as kayaking, swimming, and picnicking. Visitors can also explore the surrounding rainforest and spot various bird species along the riverbanks.
4. Kokoda Trail: Located about 150 kilometers southeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Kokoda Trail holds immense historical significance. This challenging trek retraces the steps of Australian and Japanese soldiers during World War II. It offers an opportunity to learn about the wartime struggles and experience the rugged terrain of the Owen Stanley Range.
5. Siassi Islands: Situated roughly 50 kilometers north of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Siassi Islands are a group of picturesque tropical islands. Visitors can explore white sandy beaches, coral reefs, and lush rainforests. The islands are renowned for snorkeling, diving, and fishing, providing a perfect getaway for beach lovers and underwater enthusiasts.
6. Bismarck Archipelago: Situated to the northeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Bismarck Archipelago is an island chain with stunning volcanic landscapes, pristine beaches, and vibrant coral reefs. Islands like New Britain and New Ireland offer opportunities for scuba diving, surfing, cultural encounters with indigenous communities, and exploring unique wildlife.
7. Morobe Show: Held annually in Lae, around 200 kilometers southeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Morobe Show is Papua New Guinea’s largest agricultural fair. The event showcases the region’s cultural diversity, traditional arts and crafts, agricultural displays, and colorful performances, offering visitors a chance to immerse themselves in the local culture.
8. Madang: Situated approximately 200 kilometers northeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, Madang is a coastal town renowned for its natural beauty and rich cultural heritage. Visitors can explore pristine beaches, dive and snorkel in crystal-clear waters, visit traditional villages, and witness vibrant festivals like the Madang Festival, celebrated with traditional dances and elaborate canoe races.
9. Lae Botanical Gardens: Located around 200 kilometers southeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Lae Botanical Gardens is a peaceful oasis offering a variety of tropical plant species. Visitors can stroll through the gardens, enjoy picnic areas, and encounter exotic birds and wildlife. It is an ideal spot for nature enthusiasts and families alike.
10. Garamut Gallery: Situated in Wau, approximately 150 kilometers southeast of Kirinbit Airstrip, the Garamut Gallery showcases indigenous art and traditional artifacts from the Morobe Province. Visitors can gain insights into local customs, traditions, and artistic expressions through the displayed sculptures, paintings, carvings, and jewelry.
History of Kirinbit Airstrip
Kirinbit Airstrip, located in the Eastern Highlands province of Papua New Guinea, holds an intriguing historical significance. The airstrip, situated amidst the lush greenery of the remote region, was originally constructed during World War II. It played a crucial role in providing vital air support for the Allies during the Pacific campaign.
The construction of Kirinbit Airstrip took place under arduous conditions, as its development was driven by the strategic necessity to create an airbase to combat Japanese forces in the region. The rugged terrain and dense jungle made the task even more challenging, but the determination of Allied engineers prevailed.
Following its completion, Kirinbit Airstrip became a critical operational base for American and Australian forces engaged in the fierce battles of the Pacific. The airstrip facilitated the transport of supplies, personnel, and equipment to support the Allied efforts, playing a pivotal role in the successful defense and liberation of Papua New Guinea from Japanese occupation.
Today, Kirinbit Airstrip stands as a remarkable testament to the resilience and bravery of those involved in its construction and operation during World War II. It serves as a reminder of the sacrifices made by Allied forces, and the strategic significance of Papua New Guinea in the broader context of the Pacific War. The airstrip continues to serve the local region, albeit in a more limited capacity, providing access to remote communities and aiding in the development of this beautiful and historically significant area.
Other Airports in East Sepik, Papua New Guinea
- Ama Airport
- Ambunti Airport
- Anangalo Airstrip
- Angoram Airport
- April River Airport
- Bisorio Airstrip
- Brugam Airstrip
- Bunam Airstrip
- Eleme Airstrip
- Frieda River Airport
- Geigorobi Airstrip
- Hauna Airstrip
- Hayfields Airport
- Hotmin Airstrip
- Inaru Airstrip
- Iropena Airstrip
- Iteri Airstrip
- Jangit Airstrip
- Kairiru Airstrip
- Kapaimeri Airstrip
- Karawari Airstrip
- Kirinbit Airstrip
- Klauhau Airstrip
- Kosimbi Airstrip
- Malamaunda Airstrip
- May River Airstrip
- Mirsey Airstrip
- Munduku Airport
- Nugwaia Airstrip
- Oum Airstrip
- Pukapuki Airstrip
- Samban Airstrip
- Sangera Airstrip
- Sepik Plains Airport
- Slai Airstrip
- Sumwari Airstrip
- Tamo Airstrip
- Timbunke Airport
- Tinboli Airport
- Torembi Airport
- Wewak International Airport
- Yagrombok Airstrip
- Yawa Airstrip