The Kombaku Airstrip is a small and remote airstrip located in the Yapsie Rural Local Level Government area of Papua New Guinea. Situated near the Kombaku village in the Western Highlands Province, it serves as a vital transportation hub for the surrounding communities, connecting them to the rest of the country.
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kombaku Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kombaku Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kombaku Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kombaku Airstrip
- Other Airports in Madang, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Kombaku Airstrip
To reach Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, you have a few travel options. If you are already in Papua New Guinea, the most efficient way to get there is by air. You can take a domestic flight from Port Moresby, the capital city, to Mount Hagen. From Mount Hagen, you can then take a short local flight to Kombaku Airstrip. It is recommended to check with local airlines for flight availability and schedules.
Alternatively, if you prefer ground transportation, you can travel by car or bus from Mount Hagen. The journey typically takes around 2-3 hours, covering a distance of approximately 90 kilometers. The roads leading to Kombaku Airstrip may be unpaved, so it is advisable to use a vehicle suitable for off-road conditions.
When planning your trip to Kombaku Airstrip, it is worth noting that the availability of flights and road conditions can vary depending on the season and weather conditions. It is advisable to check with local authorities, travel agencies, or the local community for the most up-to-date information and assistance in arranging your travel to Kombaku Airstrip.
When traveling to Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, there are a few transportation options available to consider. Here are some of the transportation options that can be used to reach Kombaku Airstrip.
1. Domestic Flights: The most convenient and efficient way to reach Kombaku Airstrip is by taking a domestic flight. Several airlines operate regular flights to and from Kombaku Airstrip, connecting it to major cities and towns in Papua New Guinea. Domestic flights offer a hassle-free commute and allow travelers to quickly reach their destination.
2. Private Vehicles: Another option to reach Kombaku Airstrip is by using a private vehicle. However, it is important to note that the road conditions may not be suitable for all types of vehicles. The road leading to the airstrip might be rough and may require a 4×4 vehicle. Additionally, it is advisable to check the weather conditions and road conditions ahead of time as they can impact travel times.
3. Public Transportation: Public transportation options are available in Papua New Guinea but may not be as reliable or frequent in remote areas like Kombaku Airstrip. Local buses or minivans known as “PMVs” may operate on certain routes, but they might not be the most convenient option for reaching the airstrip. It is recommended to gather information about specific bus routes and schedules beforehand.
4. Chartered Flights: For those who prefer more flexibility and personalized travel, chartered flights can be arranged to Kombaku Airstrip. This option allows travelers to have a customized schedule and direct flight to their desired destination. However, it is important to note that chartered flights could be more expensive compared to regular domestic flights.
5. Local Transport Services: In some cases, local transport services like taxis or minivans may be available near Kombaku Airstrip. However, these options might be less common or less organized in remote areas. It is advisable to consult with local authorities or accommodations for any available transportation services and their availability.
In conclusion, reaching Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea can be achieved through various transportation options such as domestic flights, private vehicles, public transportation, chartered flights, or relying on local transport services. It is important for travelers to evaluate their preferences, budget, and local factors such as road conditions, weather, and availability while choosing the best transportation option for their journey.
Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers convenient car parking options for travelers. Located in the Enga Province, this small airstrip provides easy access for those wishing to explore the surrounding area. Situated near Kombaku village, the parking facility is conveniently located next to the airstrip terminal, ensuring swift and hassle-free access to your vehicle.
The car parking area at Kombaku Airstrip is well-maintained and provides ample space for vehicles of various sizes. With its strategic location near the terminal, travelers can quickly and safely park their cars before embarking on their journeys. The parking lot is easily accessible and offers a secure environment for your vehicle, giving you peace of mind while you explore the wonders of Papua New Guinea.
Kombaku Airstrip’s car parking facilities cater to the needs of both short-term and long-term travelers. Whether you are planning a short visit or an extended stay, you can rest assured that your vehicle will be safe and secure during your absence. The parking area is equipped with surveillance cameras and well-lit, ensuring the security of your car day and night.
For those traveling to Papua New Guinea, Kombaku Airstrip’s car parking options provide a convenient and reliable solution. Located near Kombaku village in the Enga Province, the parking facilities are within close proximity to the airstrip terminal. Whether you’re an adventure seeker or a business traveler, rest assured that your vehicle will be well taken care of while you explore the beautiful landscapes and vibrant culture of Papua New Guinea.
Car Rental at Kombaku Airstrip
Kombaku Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a crucial transportation hub for the region. With its strategic location in the Eastern Highlands Province, the airstrip provides convenient access to several remote villages and communities. The terminals at Kombaku Airstrip are designed to cater to the needs of both passengers and cargo, ensuring smooth and efficient operations.
The passenger terminal at Kombaku Airstrip offers basic amenities for travelers. It provides a comfortable waiting area with seating arrangements and basic facilities such as restrooms. Additionally, the terminal features a designated check-in counter and a ticketing booth, facilitating a seamless travel experience for passengers. The staff at the terminal are helpful and courteous, ensuring that passengers are attended to promptly and any inquiries are addressed.
The cargo terminal at Kombaku Airstrip is well-equipped to handle various types of cargo efficiently. It offers adequate storage space and loading facilities, making it an ideal choice for transporting goods to and from the region. The terminal is staffed with trained professionals who ensure the proper handling and organization of cargo, guaranteeing its safety during transit. Moreover, the cargo terminal has streamlined processes in place, enabling timely dispatch and delivery of shipments.
Overall, the terminals at Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea play a vital role in connecting communities and facilitating the movement of people and goods. With their efficient operations and dedicated staff, both the passenger and cargo terminals ensure a convenient and reliable travel experience for all.
As of my knowledge, there is only one operating airline that serves the Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, which is:
– Air Niugini
Kombaku Airstrip is a small airport located in Papua New Guinea, serving as an essential transportation hub for both local residents and tourists visiting the region. To ensure the safety and security of passengers and aircraft, the airstrip has implemented stringent security protocols.
Upon arrival at Kombaku Airstrip, all passengers and their belongings are subjected to thorough security checks. This includes baggage screening, metal detector scans, and comprehensive body searches if necessary. These measures aim to prevent the introduction of prohibited items or potential threats onto the aircraft.
In addition, the airport maintains a constant presence of trained security personnel who monitor the premises and ensure compliance with security procedures. These officers are responsible for maintaining order, identifying suspicious activities, and responding promptly to any security concerns that may arise.
Furthermore, Kombaku Airstrip complies with international aviation security standards and regulations. These include strict access control measures, such as limiting entry to authorized personnel only and maintaining secure perimeters to minimize the risk of unauthorized entry. Additionally, there are regular security audits and drills conducted to assess and enhance the effectiveness of the security protocols in place.
Overall, Kombaku Airstrip takes security seriously and prioritizes the safety of its passengers and aircraft. Through rigorous security checks, the presence of trained personnel, adherence to international standards, and continuous improvement efforts, this airport strives to provide a secure environment for all travelers passing through its gates.
Kombaku Airstrip is a small yet vital transportation hub located in the rugged highlands of Papua New Guinea. Situated in the Southern Highlands Province, this airstrip serves as a gateway to the remote and breathtakingly beautiful regions of the country. For adventurous travelers seeking to explore the untouched natural wonders and vibrant cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea, Kombaku Airstrip provides a convenient access point.
Travelers who plan to visit Kombaku Airstrip can expect limited facilities, as this is a remote location. However, the airstrip is well-maintained and offers regular flights connecting to major towns and cities in Papua New Guinea. It is advisable to check the flight schedules in advance and make necessary arrangements to ensure a smooth journey.
For those in need of traveler’s assistance, it is recommended to contact local travel agencies or tour operators who specialize in organizing trips to Papua New Guinea. They can provide valuable guidance and support, including arranging transportation, accommodations, and activities. It is also crucial to obtain comprehensive travel insurance that covers medical emergencies and evacuation, given the remote location of Kombaku Airstrip.
Travelers visiting Kombaku Airstrip will be rewarded with an unforgettable experience. The surrounding landscapes are characterized by towering mountains, pristine rivers, and dense rainforests, offering ample opportunities for hiking, birdwatching, and immersing in nature. Additionally, the region is home to numerous indigenous tribes, each with its unique customs and traditions. Engaging with the local communities and participating in cultural events can provide a deep insight into Papua New Guinea’s rich heritage.
In conclusion, Kombaku Airstrip serves as a doorway to the captivating and untouched beauty of Papua New Guinea’s highlands. While facilities may be limited, travelers can rely on local travel agencies for assistance in organizing their trip. With its awe-inspiring landscapes and vibrant cultural experiences, Kombaku Airstrip offers an extraordinary adventure for those seeking an off-the-beaten-path journey.
Shops and Restaurants
Located in the Western Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Kombaku Airstrip is a small yet bustling hub for both locals and tourists. Despite its remote location, this airstrip offers a surprising range of shops and restaurants, catering to various needs and tastes.
For those seeking to satisfy their hunger, Kombaku Airstrip boasts a handful of delightful dining options. The local cuisine is a must-try, featuring traditional dishes that will tantalize your taste buds. From freshly caught seafood to flavorful stews and exotic spices, these restaurants serve up authentic Papua New Guinean delicacies that will leave you craving more.
If you’re looking to grab a quick bite or a coffee on the go, there are also a few charming cafes and snack bars within the vicinity. These cozy spots offer a variety of light meals, sandwiches, and pastries, perfect for a quick refuel before your next adventure.
In addition to the culinary delights, Kombaku Airstrip is home to a range of shops that cater to different needs. Whether you’re in search of souvenirs, locally made handicrafts, or everyday essentials, you’ll find it all here. The marketplaces are filled with vibrant colors and bustling energy, creating a unique shopping experience. From handmade jewelry and traditional clothing to carved wooden artifacts and local artwork, these shops showcase the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea.
Moreover, Kombaku Airstrip has a few convenience stores that stock a wide range of products such as toiletries, snacks, and beverages. These stores cater to both locals and travelers, ensuring that everyone’s basic needs are met during their visit to this remote location.
While Kombaku Airstrip may be small, it surprises visitors with its diverse range of shops and restaurants. Whether you’re a food enthusiast, a souvenir hunter, or simply in need of everyday essentials, this hidden gem in Papua New Guinea has something for everyone. So, next time you find yourself in this region, be sure to explore the culinary delights and unique shopping experiences that Kombaku Airstrip has to offer.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kombaku Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers and visitors to observe their religious practices. Recognizing the diverse spiritual needs of its users, the airstrip has designated specific areas to cater to various faiths.
Upon arrival at Kombaku Airstrip, passengers will find prayer rooms positioned conveniently within the airport terminal. These prayer rooms are thoughtfully designed to provide a quiet and peaceful environment, ensuring individuals can engage in their religious activities undisturbed. They are equipped with comfortable seating, prayer mats, and appropriate amenities to facilitate the spiritual needs of travelers.
In addition to the prayer rooms within the terminal, Kombaku Airstrip also offers dedicated worship areas for different religious communities. These areas are strategically located near the terminal, allowing easy access for those who wish to participate in communal worship or observe religious ceremonies.
The Kombaku Airstrip management recognizes the importance of religious diversity and aims to accommodate the needs of all visitors. As such, the worship areas are designed in a manner that respects the cultural and religious traditions of each faith. These areas are well-maintained, clean, and equipped with the necessary facilities to ensure a comfortable and conducive environment for religious practices.
Whether you are a passenger passing through or a visitor to Kombaku Airstrip, you can rest assured that the airport administration has made provisions for prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to your spiritual requirements. By offering these facilities, Kombaku Airstrip demonstrates its commitment to promoting a harmonious and inclusive environment for all individuals, regardless of their religious affiliations.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kombaku Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers seeking a productive and connected environment. Whether you’re a business professional needing to stay connected or a digital nomad looking for a temporary workspace, Kombaku Airstrip has got you covered.
The airstrip provides reliable WiFi access throughout its premises, ensuring that you can stay connected to the internet at all times. Whether you need to check your emails, complete important work tasks, or simply browse the web, you can do so seamlessly without any interruption.
In addition to WiFi, Kombaku Airstrip offers well-equipped workspace facilities for individuals who require a dedicated area to work. The workspace areas are designed to provide a comfortable and professional setting, allowing you to maximize your productivity. With ample seating, spacious desks, and adequate lighting, you can focus on your work without any distractions.
Furthermore, Kombaku Airstrip understands the importance of a conducive work environment and strives to create a peaceful atmosphere. The facility is designed to minimize noise and disturbances, ensuring that you can concentrate on your tasks without any disruptions.
Whether you’re waiting for your flight or have a layover at Kombaku Airstrip, you can utilize the WiFi and workspace facilities to make the most of your time. Stay connected, catch up on work, or simply relax in a productive environment.
Overall, Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities for individuals who require connectivity and a dedicated work area. With reliable internet access and well-equipped workspaces, you can stay connected and get your work done efficiently.
Accomodation Options Nearby Kombaku Airstrip
Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers a range of accommodation options to suit various budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget traveler or seeking luxurious havens, you are sure to find something that fits your needs. Here are the accommodation options available at Kombaku Airstrip:
1. Local Guesthouses: These are the most affordable options and provide a taste of local culture. Basic amenities such as clean rooms, shared bathrooms, and communal areas are available. Guesthouses often offer home-cooked meals and allow for an immersive experience with the local community.
2. Backpacker Lodges: Ideal for travelers seeking affordability and a communal atmosphere, backpacker lodges offer budget-friendly dormitory-style accommodations. Basic amenities like shared bathrooms, communal kitchens, and common areas are typically provided. These lodges are great for meeting other travelers and arranging group excursions.
3. Mid-Range Resorts: There are several mid-range resorts near Kombaku Airstrip that offer comfortable accommodation at reasonable prices. These establishments usually have private rooms with en-suite bathrooms, air conditioning, and some even feature swimming pools and on-site restaurants. Mid-range resorts are a popular choice among travelers looking for comfort without breaking the bank.
4. Ecolodges: For those seeking a unique and sustainable experience, consider staying at one of the ecolodges in the area. These accommodations blend in seamlessly with the surrounding natural environment and promote responsible tourism. Ecolodges offer an eco-friendly experience with organic meals, solar-powered amenities, and nature-based activities.
5. Luxury Resorts: Travelers looking for the ultimate pampering experience can opt for luxury resorts near Kombaku Airstrip. These resorts provide top-notch amenities such as private villas or suites, spa facilities, gourmet dining experiences, and personalized service. Whether you desire stunning beachfront views or lush jungle retreats, luxury resorts in the area offer opulence and exclusivity.
Please note that availability and prices may vary, and it is recommended to contact the specific accommodation provider or consult relevant travel websites for up-to-date information and bookings.
1. Mount Wilhelm: Located approximately 120 kilometers from Kombaku Airstrip, Mount Wilhelm is the highest peak in Papua New Guinea and offers breathtaking views and an adventurous hiking experience.
2. Kundiawa Cultural Show: Kundiawa, a town near Kombaku Airstrip, hosts an annual cultural show that showcases the traditional customs, arts, and performances of the various tribes in the region.
3. Kundiman Lake: Nestled in the Simbu Province, Kundiman Lake is a stunningly beautiful lake surrounded by lush greenery, making it an ideal spot for picnics, relaxation, and bird-watching.
4. Hagen Show: The Hagen Show, an extravagant tribal festival held in Mount Hagen, showcases the diverse cultures, traditions, and rituals of Papua New Guinea’s Highlands region through music, dance, and vibrant artwork.
5. Tari Basin: Known for its breathtaking landscapes and unique cultural heritage, the Tari Basin is home to the Huli tribe, famous for their traditional wigmen adorned with intricate headdresses made from human hair.
6. Dei Council House: Located in the Enga Province, the iconic Dei Council House is a traditional meeting place for the local community, where important decisions are made and cultural events are held.
7. National Museum and Art Gallery: Papua New Guinea’s National Museum and Art Gallery, located in Port Moresby, displays an extensive collection of indigenous art, cultural artifacts, and historical exhibitions, providing an excellent insight into the country’s rich heritage.
8. Mt. Hagen Market: Explore the vibrant Mount Hagen Market, where locals sell an array of fresh produce, traditional crafts, and artifacts, offering a glimpse into the diverse cultural heritage of the region.
9. Lake Kutubu: Situated in the Southern Highlands Province, Lake Kutubu is a pristine freshwater lake surrounded by lush rainforest, offering opportunities for fishing, boating, and spotting unique flora and fauna.
10. Ambua Falls: Located in the Hela Province, Ambua Falls is a majestic waterfall cascading down a rugged mountain, providing a picturesque backdrop for nature enthusiasts and photographers.
Please note that the availability and accessibility of these attractions may vary, so it is advisable to check local conditions and travel guidance before planning a visit.
History of Kombaku Airstrip
Kombaku Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, has a significant history that reflects the region’s rich aviation heritage. Constructed during World War II by the Japanese Imperial Army, the airstrip was primarily used as a strategic military airbase. It served as a crucial base for Japanese forces to launch aerial attacks and conduct reconnaissance missions throughout the Pacific region.
After the war, Kombaku Airstrip gained attention for its challenging terrain and became a popular destination for adventurous and thrill-seeking pilots. As a remote and rugged location surrounded by lush rainforests and mountainous landscapes, it presented a unique and exhilarating flying experience. Aviation enthusiasts and explorers from around the world were attracted to the challenging nature of the airstrip and its breathtaking natural surroundings.
Today, Kombaku Airstrip has transformed into a vital transportation hub for communities residing in the region. Operating as a small-scale commercial airport, it plays a crucial role in connecting remote villages to the rest of Papua New Guinea and facilitating economic development. Additionally, the airstrip continues to serve as a gateway for adventure tourism, offering opportunities for visitors to explore the awe-inspiring natural beauty and engage in various activities like hiking, birdwatching, and cultural immersion.
Overall, Kombaku Airstrip in Papua New Guinea carries a history that intertwines the military past of World War II with its present-day significance as a bustling transportation hub and a gateway for breathtaking exploration.
Other Airports in Madang, Papua New Guinea
- Aiome Airport
- Annanberg Airport
- Bambu Airport
- Bank Airstrip
- Begesin Airstrip
- Bundi Airport
- Chungribu Airport
- Daup Airport
- Dusin Airport
- Foroko Airstrip
- Gokto Airstrip
- Guhu Airstrip
- Hatzfeldhaven Airport
- Josephstaal Airport
- Junkaral Airstrip
- Kanainj Airport
- Kar Kar Airport
- Kombaku Airstrip
- Long Island Airport
- Madang Airport
- Moki Airport
- Mui Airstrip
- Nankina Airport
- Pasinkap Airstrip
- Saidor Airport
- Sengapi Airstrip
- Simbai Airport
- Tep Tep Airport
- Tsumba Airstrip
- Wanuma Airport
- Yimnalem Airstrip
- Yomneri Airstrip