Kotoka International Airport is the main airport serving Accra, the capital city of Ghana. It is named after Lieutenant General Emmanuel Kwasi Kotoka, a Ghanaian soldier who led a coup d’état in 1966. The airport is the hub for several airlines, including Ghana Airways and Africa World Airlines.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Kotoka International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Kotoka International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Kotoka International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Kotoka International Airport
- Other Airports in Greater Accra Region, Ghana
How to Get to Kotoka International Airport
Kotoka International Airport is located in Accra, the capital city of Ghana. There are several ways to get to the airport, depending on your location and budget.
If you are staying in Accra, the easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked through a ride-hailing app. The journey from central Accra to the airport takes around 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a public bus. The airport is served by several bus routes, including the STC bus service, which operates from the city center. However, be aware that public transport in Accra can be crowded and unreliable, so allow plenty of time for your journey.
If you are driving to the airport, there is a large car park available for both short-term and long-term parking. The airport is located on the main Accra-Tema motorway, which is easily accessible from all parts of the city.
Overall, getting to Kotoka International Airport is relatively straightforward, with several transport options available to suit different budgets and preferences.
Kotoka International Airport is the main airport serving Accra, the capital city of Ghana. It is located about 6 miles (10 km) from the city center and offers a variety of transportation options for travelers.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a popular choice for travelers. They are metered and fares are negotiable, so it is important to agree on a price before getting in. Taxis are a convenient and affordable option for getting to your destination.
2. Airport Shuttle: The airport shuttle is a shared ride service that operates between the airport and various locations in Accra. It is a cost-effective option for travelers who do not want to take a taxi. The shuttle runs on a fixed schedule and can be booked in advance or at the airport.
3. Car Rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, and Hertz. Renting a car is a good option for travelers who want to explore Accra and its surroundings at their own pace. However, it is important to note that driving in Accra can be challenging, so it is recommended to have a local driver or guide.
4. Public Transportation: Public transportation options include buses and tro-tros, which are shared minivans. These options are the most affordable but can be crowded and uncomfortable. They are not recommended for travelers with a lot of luggage or who are unfamiliar with the city.
5. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available for travelers who want a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services can be booked in advance and include a driver who will meet you at the airport and take you to your destination. Private transfers are more expensive than other options but offer a higher level of comfort and convenience.
Kotoka International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking lot is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it the most convenient option for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are charged hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking lot is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are charged daily.
3. Valet parking: This service is available for travelers who want the ultimate convenience. A valet attendant will meet you at the terminal building and park your car for you. When you return, your car will be waiting for you at the terminal. The valet parking service is located in the short-term parking lot.
4. Express parking: This parking lot is located near the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who are in a hurry. The rates for express parking are charged hourly.
5. Economy parking: This parking lot is located a short distance from the terminal building and is the most affordable option for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for economy parking are charged daily.
Overall, Kotoka International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short period of time or an extended period, there is a parking option available for you.
Car Rental at Kotoka International Airport
Kotoka International Airport is the main airport in Ghana and serves as the gateway to the country. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 3. Terminal 1 is the older of the two terminals and is used for domestic flights and some regional flights. It has a capacity of about 1 million passengers per year and is currently undergoing renovations to improve its facilities.
Terminal 3, on the other hand, is the newer and larger terminal, which was opened in 2018. It is used for international flights and has a capacity of about 5 million passengers per year. The terminal is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, lounges, and a business center. It also has 7 air bridges and 48 check-in counters, making it more efficient and convenient for passengers.
Both terminals are connected by a shuttle bus service, which runs every 10 minutes. The airport also has a VIP terminal, which is used for private and diplomatic flights. Overall, Kotoka International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that provides a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers.
1. Africa World Airlines
2. Air Burkina
3. Air Cote d’Ivoire
4. Air France
5. Air Peace
7. ASKY Airlines
8. British Airways
9. Brussels Airlines
10. Delta Air Lines
13. Ethiopian Airlines
14. Kenya Airways
15. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
17. Middle East Airlines
18. Qatar Airways
19. Royal Air Maroc
21. South African Airways
22. Tap Air Portugal
23. Turkish Airlines
24. United Airlines
25. West African Airlines.
Kotoka International Airport is the main airport in Ghana and serves as a gateway to the West African sub-region. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers, staff, and cargo. These protocols are in line with international standards and are regularly reviewed and updated to keep up with emerging threats.
One of the key security measures at Kotoka International Airport is the use of advanced screening technology. Passengers and their luggage are screened using state-of-the-art equipment such as X-ray machines, metal detectors, and explosive trace detectors. This helps to detect any prohibited items or dangerous substances that may pose a threat to the safety of the aircraft and its occupants.
In addition to screening technology, the airport also has a team of highly trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring and controlling access to restricted areas. These personnel are equipped with the latest security equipment and are trained to identify and respond to potential security threats. The airport also has a dedicated canine unit that is trained to detect explosives and other dangerous substances.
Overall, the security protocols at Kotoka International Airport are designed to ensure the safety and security of all passengers, staff, and cargo. The airport takes security very seriously and is committed to maintaining the highest standards of safety and security for all those who use its facilities.
Kotoka International Airport is the main airport in Ghana and serves as a gateway to West Africa. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration assistance.
Baggage handling services are available to help passengers with their luggage. This includes baggage carts, baggage wrapping, and baggage storage. Passengers can also take advantage of the airport’s porter service, which provides assistance with carrying luggage to and from the check-in counter and baggage claim area.
Wheelchair assistance is available for passengers with mobility issues. The airport has a team of trained staff who can assist passengers with getting to and from their gate, as well as boarding and disembarking from the aircraft. Passengers can request wheelchair assistance when booking their flight or at the airport.
Immigration assistance is available to help passengers navigate the immigration process. The airport has dedicated immigration officers who can assist passengers with visa applications, passport control, and other immigration-related issues. Passengers can also take advantage of the airport’s fast-track service, which allows them to bypass long immigration queues and get through the process quickly.
Overall, Kotoka International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as smooth and stress-free as possible. Passengers can rest assured that they will be well taken care of during their time at the airport.
Shops and Restaurants
Kotoka International Airport is the main airport in Ghana and serves as a hub for both domestic and international flights. The airport offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers.
1. Ghanaian Heritage: This shop offers a variety of traditional Ghanaian souvenirs, including clothing, jewelry, and artwork.
2. Duty-Free: This shop offers a range of tax-free products, including perfumes, cosmetics, and alcohol.
3. Bookstore: This shop offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers for travelers to read during their flight.
4. Electronics: This shop offers a range of electronic products, including headphones, chargers, and adapters.
5. Convenience Store: This shop offers a range of snacks, drinks, and other travel essentials.
1. Burger King: This fast-food chain offers a range of burgers, fries, and other fast-food items.
2. KFC: This fast-food chain offers a range of fried chicken, burgers, and other fast-food items.
3. Pizza Inn: This restaurant offers a range of pizzas, pasta dishes, and salads.
4. Coffee Shop: This café offers a range of coffee, tea, and other hot and cold beverages, as well as sandwiches and pastries.
5. Bar: This bar offers a range of alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages, as well as snacks and light meals.
Overall, Kotoka International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers, whether they are looking for souvenirs, travel essentials, or a quick meal before their flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Kotoka International Airport in Accra, Ghana, offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for travelers of different faiths. Here are the details of each:
1. Islamic Prayer Room: Located on the ground floor of the Departure Hall, near the Emirates check-in counter, the Islamic prayer room is open 24/7. It is equipped with prayer mats, a Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Christian Chapel: The Christian chapel is located on the first floor of the Departure Hall, near the food court. It is open from 6 am to 10 pm and offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection. The chapel has a cross, a Bible, and seating for up to 20 people.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the Departure Hall, near the food court. It is open 24/7 and welcomes people of all faiths. The room has prayer mats, a Quran, a Bible, and other religious texts.
4. Catholic Chapel: The Catholic chapel is located on the first floor of the Departure Hall, near the food court. It is open from 6 am to 10 pm and offers a space for Catholic travelers to pray and attend Mass. The chapel has a crucifix, a Bible, and seating for up to 20 people.
5. Meditation Room: The meditation room is located on the first floor of the Departure Hall, near the food court. It is open 24/7 and offers a quiet space for meditation and reflection. The room has cushions and seating for up to 10 people.
Overall, Kotoka International Airport provides a range of prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the diverse needs of its passengers. These spaces offer a peaceful and welcoming environment for travelers to practice their faith or find a moment of calm amidst the hustle and bustle of the airport.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Kotoka International Airport, located in Accra, Ghana, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flights. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
For passengers who need to work or study during their layover, Kotoka International Airport offers several workspace facilities. The airport has a business center equipped with computers, printers, and fax machines, making it easy to complete any urgent work tasks. Additionally, there are several lounges and cafes throughout the terminal building that offer comfortable seating and tables, making them ideal for working or studying.
Passengers can also take advantage of the airport’s VIP lounges, which offer a quiet and comfortable environment with complimentary snacks and drinks. These lounges are equipped with power outlets and free WiFi, making them perfect for those who need to work or recharge their devices.
Overall, Kotoka International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities, ensuring that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
Kotoka International Airport offers several lounges for passengers to enjoy before their flight. Here is a list of the lounges and where they are located:
- Kotoka International Airport Executive Lounge: Located in the International Departures area
- Golden Lounge: Located in the International Departures area
- Departure Lounge: Located in the Domestic Departures area
- VIP Lounge: Located in the Domestic Departures area
Accomodation Options Nearby Kotoka International Airport
1. Transit Lounges:
If you’re looking for a pocket-friendly accommodation option at Kotoka International Airport, transit lounges could be an ideal choice. These lounges offer comfortable seating areas for passengers who have extended layovers or overnight stays. They come equipped with basic amenities like Wi-Fi, charging ports, and sometimes even shower facilities. Although not luxurious, these lounges provide a peaceful place to rest and relax during your time at the airport.
2. Airport Hotels:
For travelers seeking more privacy and convenience, there are several hotels located near Kotoka International Airport. These hotels typically offer a range of room options to suit different budgets, from standard rooms to suites. Amenities often include free Wi-Fi, air conditioning, room service, and airport shuttle services. Some hotels also feature fitness centers, swimming pools, and restaurants, giving you a comfortable stay just minutes away from the airport.
3. Boutique Hotels and Guesthouses:
If you prefer a more unique and personal accommodation experience, consider staying at one of the boutique hotels or guesthouses in the vicinity of Kotoka International Airport. These smaller establishments are often family-run and offer a cozy and intimate atmosphere. They provide beautifully decorated rooms, personalized service, and a chance to experience local culture. Although prices vary depending on the property, boutique hotels and guesthouses generally offer a charming and affordable alternative.
4. Serviced Apartments:
Ideal for travelers in need of a spacious and self-contained accommodation option, serviced apartments provide a more home-like experience at Kotoka International Airport. These apartments come with separate living areas, fully equipped kitchens, and laundry facilities. They are perfect for families or those staying for an extended period. Serviced apartments often offer additional amenities like swimming pools, gyms, and 24-hour security, giving you the comfort and convenience of a temporary home.
5. Luxury Hotels:
For those seeking the utmost comfort and indulgence, there are luxury hotels within close proximity to Kotoka International Airport. These renowned establishments provide an exceptional experience, combining elegant decor, impeccable service, and numerous amenities. From luxurious spas and fine dining restaurants to well-appointed suites and impressive architecture, these hotels offer a truly lavish stay to cater to discerning travelers seeking the utmost in luxury and relaxation.
No matter what accommodation option you choose at Kotoka International Airport, there are options available to suit every budget and preference, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable stay during your time at the airport.
1. Labadi Beach: Located just a short distance from the airport, Labadi Beach is a popular destination for both tourists and locals. This beautiful stretch of sandy beach offers crystal-clear waters, water sports activities, beachside cafes, and vibrant live music that will surely add a touch of relaxation to your stay.
2. National Museum of Ghana: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Ghana by visiting the National Museum, situated in Accra. It showcases an impressive collection of traditional artifacts, historical exhibits, and contemporary Ghanaian art, providing an insightful glimpse into the country’s fascinating history.
3. Kwame Nkrumah Mausoleum: Pay homage to Ghana’s first president, Kwame Nkrumah, by visiting his final resting place. This magnificent mausoleum is a symbol of national pride, with its striking architecture and beautiful gardens. Visitors can explore the museum inside to learn about Nkrumah’s contributions to Ghana’s independence.
4. Jamestown: A historic neighborhood in Accra, Jamestown will transport you back in time. Its narrow streets are lined with colonial-era architecture, breathtakingly colorful houses, and vibrant markets. Don’t miss a visit to the iconic Jamestown Lighthouse, offering panoramic views of the coast.
5. Independence Square: Standing as a proud symbol of Ghana’s independence, Independence Square is a massive open space that hosts national celebrations and events. This significant landmark boasts a towering Independence Arch and nearby statues paying tribute to Ghana’s heroes and heroines.
6. Makola Market: Dive into the bustling atmosphere of one of Accra’s busiest markets, Makola Market. This vibrant market is a sensory overload with its colorful array of goods, from traditional textiles and crafts to fresh produce and street food. It’s a must-visit to experience Ghana’s vibrant street life and do some shopping.
7. Osu Castle: Explore the historic Osu Castle, also known as Fort Christiansborg, which has served as a seat of government and now houses the presidency. With its rich history dating back to the 17th century, this architectural gem offers guided tours that reveal its intriguing past and panoramic views of the coastline.
8. W.E.B. Du Bois Memorial Centre for Pan-African Culture: If you’re interested in African history and culture, make sure to visit the Du Bois Memorial Centre. Dedicated to the renowned civil rights activist, W.E.B. Du Bois, this center showcases his life and works, as well as exhibits on Pan-Africanism and African art.
9. Accra Arts Centre: Browse and purchase authentic Ghanaian crafts at the Accra Arts Centre. Known for its skilled artisans, this vibrant marketplace is filled with handcrafted jewelry, wood carvings, textiles, and traditional clothing. It’s the perfect place to find unique souvenirs to take back home.
10. Aburi Botanical Gardens: Take a break from the hustle and bustle of the city by visiting the serene Aburi Botanical Gardens. Located just a short drive from the airport, this peaceful sanctuary features a vast collection of exotic plants, beautiful trails, and picnic areas. It’s an idyllic escape for nature lovers and families alike.
History of Kotoka International Airport
Kotoka International Airport is the main international airport in Ghana, located in the capital city of Accra. The airport was named after Lieutenant General Emmanuel Kwasi Kotoka, a Ghanaian soldier who led a coup d’état in 1966. The airport was originally built in 1946 as a military airfield by the British colonial government. It was later expanded and upgraded to an international airport in the 1950s to accommodate the growing demand for air travel in Ghana.
Over the years, Kotoka International Airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to keep up with the increasing number of passengers and airlines. In 2004, a new terminal was built to replace the old one, which had become outdated and overcrowded. The new terminal, known as Terminal 2, is a modern facility with state-of-the-art amenities and can handle up to 5 million passengers per year.
In recent years, Kotoka International Airport has become a hub for air travel in West Africa, serving as a gateway to other countries in the region. The airport has also received several awards for its excellent services and facilities, including the Best Airport in West Africa award in 2019. With ongoing plans for further expansion and development, Kotoka International Airport is poised to continue playing a vital role in Ghana’s aviation industry and the wider West African region.
Other Airports in Greater Accra Region, Ghana