Leipzig/Halle Airport is an international airport located in Schkeuditz, Saxony, Germany. It is the second-largest airport in the eastern part of Germany and serves as a hub for cargo airlines such as DHL and AeroLogic.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Leipzig/Halle Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Leipzig/Halle Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Leipzig/Halle Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Leipzig/Halle Airport
- Other Airports in Saxony, Germany
How to Get to Leipzig/Halle Airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport is located approximately 16 kilometers northwest of Leipzig and 23 kilometers southeast of Halle. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by car, train, and bus.
If you are driving, the airport is easily accessible via the A9 and A14 motorways. There are several parking options available at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking.
If you prefer to take public transportation, there are several train and bus options available. The S5 and S5X S-Bahn trains run regularly between Leipzig and the airport, with a journey time of approximately 15-20 minutes. There are also several bus routes that serve the airport, including the 207, 202, and 131.
If you are coming from further afield, there are also several long-distance bus services that operate to and from the airport, including Flixbus and Eurolines.
Overall, getting to Leipzig/Halle Airport is straightforward and convenient, with several options available to suit your needs and budget.
Leipzig/Halle Airport, located in Schkeuditz, Germany, offers a variety of transportation options for travelers to choose from. Whether you’re looking for a quick and convenient way to get to your hotel or a more budget-friendly option, there’s something for everyone.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal and provide a quick and easy way to get to your destination. The journey to Leipzig city center takes approximately 20 minutes and costs around €30-€40.
2. Bus: The airport is well-connected to the local bus network, with several bus lines operating from the airport to various destinations in the region. The S-Bahn S5 line connects the airport to Leipzig city center and takes around 30 minutes.
3. Train: The airport has its own train station, which is located directly in front of the terminal building. The S-Bahn S5 line connects the airport to Leipzig city center, while the S-Bahn S2 line connects the airport to Halle city center.
4. Car rental: Several car rental companies have offices at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, and Sixt. Renting a car is a great option if you plan on exploring the region on your own.
5. Shuttle service: Several shuttle services operate from the airport, providing a convenient and affordable way to get to your destination. Shuttle services are available to Leipzig, Halle, and other destinations in the region.
No matter which transportation option you choose, Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a variety of convenient and affordable ways to get to your destination.
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a variety of car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. P1 Short-term Parking: This car park is located directly in front of the terminal building and is ideal for short stays. It is suitable for picking up or dropping off passengers. The parking fees are charged on an hourly basis.
2. P2 Holiday Parking: This car park is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for long-term parking. It is suitable for travelers who are going on holiday or leaving for an extended period. The parking fees are charged on a daily basis.
3. P3 Business Parking: This car park is located close to the terminal building and is ideal for business travelers. It offers easy access to the terminal and is suitable for short stays. The parking fees are charged on an hourly basis.
4. P4 Long-term Parking: This car park is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for long-term parking. It is suitable for travelers who are going on holiday or leaving for an extended period. The parking fees are charged on a daily basis.
5. P5 Premium Parking: This car park is located directly in front of the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who want to park their car in a secure and convenient location. It offers easy access to the terminal and is suitable for short stays. The parking fees are charged on an hourly basis.
Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you are going on holiday, traveling for business, or just picking up or dropping off passengers, there is a car park that will meet your needs.
Car Rental at Leipzig/Halle Airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport is located in the city of Schkeuditz, Saxony, Germany. The airport has two terminals, Terminal A and Terminal B, which are connected by a central building. Terminal A is the older of the two terminals and is primarily used for domestic flights, while Terminal B is used for international flights.
Terminal A has a total of 16 gates and is equipped with all the necessary facilities for passengers, including check-in counters, baggage claim areas, and security checkpoints. The terminal also has a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as a duty-free store for international travelers.
Terminal B is the larger of the two terminals and has a total of 28 gates. It is equipped with modern facilities and amenities, including self-check-in kiosks, baggage handling systems, and security checkpoints. The terminal also has a wide range of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as lounges for business and first-class passengers.
Both terminals at Leipzig/Halle Airport are well-maintained and offer a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers. The airport is easily accessible by public transportation and offers a variety of parking options for those who prefer to drive. Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport is a modern and efficient airport that provides a high level of service to its passengers.
4. Wizz Air
5. Turkish Airlines
7. Pegasus Airlines
8. Corendon Airlines
10. Air Cairo
13. LOT Polish Airlines
14. Norwegian Air Shuttle
16. TUI fly Deutschland
17. Vueling Airlines
19. Bulgarian Air Charter
20. Freebird Airlines.
Leipzig/Halle Airport is one of the busiest airports in Germany, serving millions of passengers every year. As such, the airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff.
The airport’s security measures include the use of advanced technology such as full-body scanners, X-ray machines, and metal detectors. All passengers are required to pass through these machines before boarding their flights. In addition, the airport has a team of highly trained security personnel who conduct random checks and inspections of passengers and their luggage.
The airport also has a strict policy on prohibited items, which includes weapons, explosives, and liquids over 100ml. Passengers are advised to check the airport’s website for a full list of prohibited items before packing their bags.
Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport’s security protocols are designed to provide a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff. The airport’s commitment to security has earned it a reputation as one of the safest airports in Germany.
Leipzig/Halle Airport is one of the busiest airports in Germany, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience, the airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services. These services are designed to cater to the needs of all types of travelers, including those with disabilities, families with young children, and senior citizens.
One of the most popular traveler’s assistance services at Leipzig/Halle Airport is the Meet and Assist service. This service is available for passengers who require special assistance, such as wheelchair users or those with reduced mobility. A trained airport staff member will meet the passenger at the entrance of the airport and assist them with check-in, security, and boarding. The staff member will also help the passenger with any other needs they may have, such as finding their gate or getting food and drinks.
Another useful traveler’s assistance service at Leipzig/Halle Airport is the Family Service. This service is designed to make traveling with young children easier and more comfortable. The airport provides strollers, baby changing facilities, and play areas for children. Additionally, the airport staff can assist families with boarding and finding their way around the airport.
Finally, Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a range of services for senior citizens, including wheelchair assistance, priority boarding, and assistance with luggage. The airport also has a senior lounge where older passengers can relax and wait for their flight in comfort. Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as stress-free and enjoyable as possible for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Here are some of the options available:
1. Heinemann Duty Free: This shop offers a variety of duty-free products, including cosmetics, perfumes, spirits, and tobacco products.
2. Travel Value & Duty Free: This shop offers a range of products, including souvenirs, gifts, and travel essentials.
3. Relay: This shop offers a selection of newspapers, magazines, books, and snacks.
4. Superdry: This shop offers a range of clothing and accessories for men and women.
5. Swarovski: This shop offers a selection of jewelry, watches, and accessories.
1. Marché Mövenpick: This restaurant offers a variety of dishes, including salads, sandwiches, and hot meals.
2. Burger King: This fast-food chain offers a range of burgers, fries, and drinks.
3. Starbucks: This coffee shop offers a selection of hot and cold beverages, as well as snacks and sandwiches.
4. Subway: This sandwich chain offers a range of sandwiches, salads, and drinks.
5. Bistro & Bar: This restaurant offers a selection of hot and cold meals, as well as drinks and snacks.
Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport provides a diverse range of shops and restaurants to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and enjoyable experience while waiting for their flights.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection and meditation. Here are the locations of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Leipzig/Halle Airport:
1. Christian Chapel – located on the ground floor of Terminal B, near the check-in counters. The chapel is open 24/7 and offers a peaceful space for prayer and contemplation. It is equipped with a cross, an altar, and a seating area.
2. Muslim Prayer Room – located on the ground floor of Terminal B, near the check-in counters. The prayer room is open 24/7 and is equipped with prayer mats, a Quran, and a washing area for ablution.
3. Jewish Prayer Room – located on the ground floor of Terminal B, near the check-in counters. The prayer room is open 24/7 and is equipped with a Torah, prayer books, and a seating area.
4. Quiet Room – located on the first floor of Terminal B, near Gate B20. The quiet room is open 24/7 and is designed for passengers and visitors who seek a peaceful space for meditation or relaxation. It is equipped with comfortable seating and dim lighting.
All prayer rooms and worship areas at Leipzig/Halle Airport are free to use and open to people of all faiths. They are maintained regularly and provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for travelers and visitors.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and check their emails, social media, and other online activities.
Workspace: For those who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers several workspace options. The Business Lounge provides a quiet and comfortable environment with workstations, free WiFi, and refreshments. The lounge is open to all passengers for a fee or can be accessed for free by members of certain airline loyalty programs.
In addition, the airport has several charging stations located throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to charge their devices while they work or relax.
Overall, Leipzig/Halle Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
Leipzig/Halle Airport offers several lounges for passengers to relax and enjoy their time at the airport. The following are the lounges available at the Leipzig/Halle Airport:
- Lufthansa Senator Lounge (Terminal A)
- Air France/KLM Lounge (Terminal A)
- Lufthansa Business Lounge (Terminal A)
- Lufthansa Lounge (Terminal B)
- Airport Lounge (Terminal C)
Accomodation Options Nearby Leipzig/Halle Airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport, located in the vibrant city of Leipzig, Germany, offers a range of accommodation options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are on a budget or seeking a luxury experience, the airport has something for everyone.
1. Sleep boxes: For those looking for a quick and affordable rest, Leipzig/Halle Airport provides sleep boxes that offer a comfortable and private space to relax. Equipped with a bed, storage space, and essential amenities, these compact accommodations are perfect for short stays and can be rented for a few hours or overnight.
2. Budget hotels: Several budget-friendly hotels can be found in the vicinity of Leipzig/Halle Airport. These hotels offer basic amenities, cozy rooms, and a convenient location, making them ideal for travelers on a tight budget. Be sure to check out the nearby hotels for affordable yet comfortable accommodation options.
3. Mid-range hotels: If you prefer a more comfortable stay without breaking the bank, mid-range hotels near Leipzig/Halle Airport provide well-appointed rooms and additional amenities such as fitness centers, restaurants, and conference facilities. These hotels promise a pleasant stay, suitable for both business and leisure travelers.
4. Boutique hotels: Leipzig/Halle Airport also offers several boutique hotels that combine style, charm, and individuality. These uniquely designed hotels often feature modern decor, personalized service, and upscale facilities like spas and gourmet restaurants. Staying at a boutique hotel ensures a memorable and luxurious experience.
5. Airport lounges and VIP services: For those seeking VIP treatment, Leipzig/Halle Airport offers exclusive airport lounges equipped with comfortable seating, complimentary refreshments, and business facilities. These lounges provide a tranquil escape from the bustling airport atmosphere and are accessible to passengers traveling on specific airline classes or through membership programs.
6. Luxury hotels: While there are no luxury hotels directly at Leipzig/Halle Airport, the nearby city of Leipzig offers a range of luxurious accommodations. These five-star hotels boast elegant architecture, lavish interiors, world-class dining options, spa facilities, and exceptional service. A short drive from the airport will take you to these opulent retreats, where every need is catered to.
In summary, Leipzig/Halle Airport presents various accommodation options to suit every traveler’s preferences and budget. From sleep boxes for quick rests to affordable budget hotels, mid-range options with added amenities, boutique hotels for a unique experience, exclusive airport lounges for VIP treatment, and luxurious hotels in nearby Leipzig, there is something for everyone’s taste and requirements.
1. Leipzig Zoo: Located just a short drive away from Leipzig/Halle Airport, the Leipzig Zoo is one of the oldest and most renowned zoos in Germany. It is home to a diverse collection of both native and exotic animals, offering visitors the opportunity to observe them up close in naturalistic habitats.
2. Leipzig Old Town: Just a 20-minute drive from the airport, Leipzig’s historic Old Town is a must-visit attraction. Wander through its cobblestone streets and marvel at the beautifully preserved Renaissance and Baroque buildings. Don’t miss the iconic landmark, Leipzig’s Old Town Hall, and St. Thomas Church, where Johann Sebastian Bach once served as a choir director.
3. Bach Museum: If you are a fan of classical music, a visit to the Bach Museum in Leipzig is a must. Located in the heart of the city, this museum is dedicated to the life and work of one of the greatest composers of all time, Johann Sebastian Bach. Explore his personal belongings, musical instruments, and manuscripts, and learn about his impact on music history.
4. Moritzburg Castle: Situated 30 kilometers southwest of Leipzig/Halle Airport, Moritzburg Castle is a stunning Baroque palace surrounded by a picturesque lake. Visit this architectural gem and take a guided tour through its lavishly decorated rooms. The castle also hosts various art exhibitions, making it a true cultural oasis.
5. Halle-Neustadt: Just a short drive from the airport, Halle-Neustadt is a fascinating example of the urban planning of the former East Germany. Explore this vast housing complex, which was one of the largest of its kind in Europe during the socialist era. Today, Halle-Neustadt offers a glimpse into the recent German history and the challenges of urban transformation.
6. Handel House Museum: Composer George Frideric Handel was born in Halle, which makes visiting the Handel House Museum a must for music enthusiasts. Learn about Handel’s life and career and explore the beautifully reconstructed 16th-century building where he spent his early years. The museum also hosts regular concerts and events in homage to this musical prodigy.
7. Rittergut Lucklum: Nature lovers can enjoy a day trip to the idyllic Rittergut Lucklum, located just an hour from Leipzig/Halle Airport. This historic manor house surrounded by vast landscaped gardens is the perfect place to relax and unwind. Take a stroll in the English-style park or participate in a guided tour to learn about the estate’s rich history.
8. German Aviation Collection: If you are fascinated by aircraft and aviation history, head to the German Aviation Collection in Halle. This museum boasts an impressive collection of over 70 aircraft, including historical planes, helicopters, and gliders. Take a walk through aviation’s past and learn about the pioneers who shaped the industry.
9. Gose Brewery Museum: Beer lovers shouldn’t miss the opportunity to visit the Gose Brewery Museum in Leipzig. Gose is a traditional German beer style with a unique, slightly sour taste. Explore the historic brewery and learn about the fascinating brewing process, taste different variations of Gose, and discover the long-standing beer culture of Leipzig.
10. Delitzsch Baroque Castle: Delitzsch Castle, nestled on the outskirts of Leipzig, is a splendid example of Baroque architecture. Take a guided tour through the castle’s opulent interiors, adorned with lavish furnishings and exquisite artwork. The castle also hosts various cultural events and concerts, adding to its allure as a cultural center in the region.
History of Leipzig/Halle Airport
Leipzig/Halle Airport is located in the city of Schkeuditz, Saxony, Germany. The airport has a rich history dating back to the early 1920s when it was first established as a military airfield. During World War II, the airport was used by the German Luftwaffe as a base for fighter planes and bombers. After the war, the airport was taken over by the Soviet Union and used as a military base until the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989.
In the early 1990s, the airport was modernized and expanded to accommodate the growing demand for air travel in the region. Today, Leipzig/Halle Airport is one of the busiest airports in Germany, serving over 2 million passengers annually. The airport is a major hub for cargo traffic, with several cargo airlines operating out of the airport, including DHL, UPS, and FedEx.
In recent years, Leipzig/Halle Airport has undergone further expansion and modernization, with the addition of a new terminal building and the construction of a new runway. The airport has also become a popular destination for low-cost airlines, with several budget carriers offering flights to destinations across Europe. With its rich history and modern facilities, Leipzig/Halle Airport is a vital transportation hub for the region and an important gateway to the rest of Europe.
Other Airports in Saxony, Germany