Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is a major airport located in Kenner, Louisiana, United States. It serves as the primary commercial airport for the New Orleans metropolitan area and is named after the famous jazz musician Louis Armstrong. The airport offers a wide range of domestic and international flights, making it a popular travel hub for tourists and locals alike.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Other Airports in Louisiana, United States
How to Get to Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport is located approximately 15 miles west of downtown New Orleans. There are several transportation options available to get to the airport.
One option is to take a taxi or rideshare service such as Uber or Lyft. Taxis are available at the airport and can also be hailed from downtown. Rideshare services can be accessed through their respective apps.
Another option is to take public transportation. The Jefferson Transit bus line offers service to the airport from various locations in the city. The Airport-Downtown Express (E-2) bus also provides direct service between the airport and downtown New Orleans.
If you prefer to drive, there are several parking options available at the airport. Short-term and long-term parking lots are located near the terminal, and a remote parking lot with shuttle service is also available.
No matter which transportation option you choose, be sure to allow enough time to arrive at the airport before your flight. It is recommended to arrive at least two hours before domestic flights and three hours before international flights.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a variety of transportation options to help travelers get to and from their destinations. Here are some of the most popular options:
1. Taxi: Taxis are available 24/7 outside of the baggage claim area. The fare to downtown New Orleans is a flat rate of $36.
2. Ride-Sharing Services: Uber and Lyft are both available at the airport. The pick-up location is outside of the baggage claim area.
3. Airport Shuttle: Several shuttle services operate at the airport, offering shared rides to various destinations in the city. Fares vary depending on the destination.
4. Public Transportation: The Jefferson Transit E2 bus provides service between the airport and downtown New Orleans. The fare is $2.
5. Car Rental: Several car rental companies have desks located in the baggage claim area. Rental cars can be picked up and dropped off at the airport.
No matter what your transportation needs are, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has plenty of options to choose from.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers several parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking options and their locations:
1. Short-Term Parking: This parking lot is located directly in front of the terminal building. It is ideal for those who are dropping off or picking up passengers. The hourly rate is $4, and the daily rate is $20.
2. Long-Term Parking: This parking lot is located adjacent to the short-term parking lot. It is ideal for those who are traveling for an extended period. The daily rate is $16, and the weekly rate is $96.
3. Economy Parking: This parking lot is located off-site, but a complimentary shuttle service is available to transport passengers to and from the terminal building. It is ideal for those who are looking for an affordable parking option. The daily rate is $14, and the weekly rate is $84.
4. Premier Parking: This parking lot is located on the ground level of the parking garage, directly across from the terminal building. It is ideal for those who are looking for a convenient and hassle-free parking experience. The daily rate is $30, and the weekly rate is $180.
5. Valet Parking: This parking option is located on the second level of the parking garage, directly across from the terminal building. It is ideal for those who are looking for a premium parking experience. The daily rate is $36, and the weekly rate is $216.
Overall, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a variety of parking options to suit the needs and budgets of all travelers.
Car Rental at Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- National Car Rental
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and is divided into four concourses: A, B, C, and D. Concourse A serves Southwest Airlines, Concourse B serves Delta Air Lines, Concourse C serves American Airlines, and Concourse D serves United Airlines. The terminal offers a variety of dining and shopping options, including local favorites such as Cafe Du Monde and Emeril’s Table.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that primarily serves international flights. It has one concourse, E, which offers a few dining and shopping options. The terminal also has a USO lounge for military personnel and their families. Terminal 2 is connected to Terminal 1 by a shuttle bus that runs every 30 minutes.
Both terminals offer a range of amenities for travelers, including free Wi-Fi, charging stations, and baggage storage. The airport also has a variety of ground transportation options, including taxis, ride-sharing services, and rental cars. Overall, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport’s terminals provide a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers.
1. American Airlines
2. Delta Air Lines
3. Southwest Airlines
4. United Airlines
5. Allegiant Air
6. Frontier Airlines
7. JetBlue Airways
8. Spirit Airlines
9. Air Canada Rouge
10. Copa Airlines
11. Vacation Express
12. Sun Country Airlines
13. British Airways
14. Condor Airlines
15. GLO Airlines (currently suspended)
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. The airport follows the guidelines set by the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) to maintain a high level of security.
All passengers are required to go through a security checkpoint before boarding their flight. This includes screening of carry-on bags, checked luggage, and personal items such as shoes, belts, and jackets. The TSA uses advanced technology such as X-ray machines and body scanners to detect any prohibited items.
Passengers are also required to remove any liquids, gels, and aerosols from their carry-on bags and place them in a clear plastic bag for inspection. Additionally, laptops and other electronic devices must be removed from their cases and placed in a separate bin for screening.
The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport premises and respond to any security threats. They work closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of everyone at the airport.
Overall, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport takes security very seriously and strives to provide a safe and secure environment for all passengers and staff. Passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport early to allow enough time for the security screening process.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a range of traveler assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s Traveler’s Assistance program provides a team of friendly and knowledgeable volunteers who are available to assist passengers with any questions or concerns they may have. These volunteers can be found throughout the airport, wearing distinctive red shirts and offering assistance in multiple languages.
In addition to the Traveler’s Assistance program, the airport also offers a variety of accessibility services for passengers with disabilities or special needs. These services include wheelchair assistance, accessible parking, and accessible restrooms. The airport also has a dedicated TSA PreCheck lane for expedited security screening for eligible passengers.
For travelers with young children, the airport offers family restrooms and nursing rooms, as well as a children’s play area to keep little ones entertained before their flight. The airport also has a pet relief area for passengers traveling with pets.
Overall, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport’s Traveler’s Assistance program and accessibility services demonstrate the airport’s commitment to providing a welcoming and accommodating environment for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to enhance your travel experience. Here are some of the options available:
– The New Orleans Saints Team Shop: This shop offers a wide range of merchandise for fans of the New Orleans Saints football team, including jerseys, hats, and accessories.
– Fleurty Girl: This boutique features unique New Orleans-themed clothing, accessories, and gifts.
– iStore: This shop offers a selection of electronics, including headphones, chargers, and phone cases.
– News & Gifts: This store offers a variety of reading materials, snacks, and souvenirs.
– Emeril’s Table: This restaurant, created by celebrity chef Emeril Lagasse, offers a menu of New Orleans-inspired dishes, including gumbo, jambalaya, and po’boys.
– Ye Olde College Inn: This restaurant serves classic New Orleans cuisine, including seafood, gumbo, and red beans and rice.
– Zatarain’s Kitchen: This restaurant offers a menu of Cajun and Creole dishes, including jambalaya, gumbo, and crawfish étouffée.
– PJ’s Coffee: This coffee shop offers a variety of coffee drinks, as well as pastries and sandwiches.
Whether you’re looking for a souvenir to take home or a delicious meal before your flight, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has plenty of options to choose from.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection and meditation. Here are the locations of these areas:
1. Interfaith Prayer Room – Located on the third floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse C. This room is open 24/7 and is available to people of all faiths.
2. Chapel – Located on the second floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse B. This room is open 24/7 and is available to people of all faiths.
3. Meditation Room – Located on the third floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse D. This room is open 24/7 and is available to people of all faiths.
4. Catholic Chapel – Located on the second floor of the main terminal, near the entrance to Concourse C. This room is open 24/7 and is available to Catholic passengers.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are equipped with comfortable seating, prayer rugs, and religious literature. They provide a peaceful and quiet environment for passengers to practice their faith or simply take a moment to reflect.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers free WiFi throughout the airport terminal. Passengers can easily connect to the airport’s WiFi network by selecting “MSY Guest” on their device and following the prompts to connect.
In addition to WiFi, the airport also provides several workspace facilities for passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flight. The airport’s Business Center, located in Concourse C, offers a quiet and comfortable space with desks, chairs, and electrical outlets for charging devices. The Business Center also provides printing, scanning, and faxing services for a fee.
For travelers who prefer a more relaxed atmosphere, the airport’s lounges offer comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, and access to WiFi. The Delta Sky Club Lounge, located in Concourse D, and the United Club Lounge, located in Concourse C, both offer workstations with electrical outlets and complimentary WiFi for their members.
Overall, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport provides a variety of WiFi and workspace facilities to accommodate the needs of all passengers.
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a variety of lounges to make your travel experience more comfortable. Here are the lounges available and their locations:
- The Club at MSY – Concourse D, near Gate D-17
- The Club at MSY – Concourse C, near Gate C-9
- The Club at MSY – Concourse B, near Gate B-10
- The Club at MSY – Concourse A, near Gate A-1
- The Club at MSY – Main Terminal, near Gate 8
- The Club at MSY – Main Terminal, near Gate 10
- The Club at MSY – Main Terminal, near Gate 18
Accomodation Options Nearby Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offers a range of accommodation options to suit various preferences and budgets. Whether you are looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, the airport provides several choices for your convenience.
1. Hotel at the Airport:
Located right at the airport, the Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport features a hotel that is perfect for travelers seeking quick and easy access to their flights. This hotel offers comfortable rooms, modern amenities, and the convenience of being just steps away from the terminals.
2. Nearby Budget Hotels:
For the cost-conscious traveler, there are several budget-friendly hotels within close proximity to the airport. These accommodations offer comfortable rooms at affordable prices, making them a great option for those looking to save.
3. Mid-Range Hotels:
If you prefer a bit more comfort and amenities without breaking the bank, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport has a selection of mid-range hotels nearby. These hotels provide a balance between affordability and convenience, ensuring a comfortable stay with various amenities.
4. Upscale and Luxury Hotels:
If you desire a more luxurious experience, there are upscale hotels located near the airport that cater to discerning travelers. These accommodations offer sophisticated decor, top-notch service, and a range of amenities such as spa facilities, fine dining options, and upscale bars. Immerse yourself in luxury and enjoy a pampering stay.
5. Vacation Rentals:
For those seeking a home-away-from-home experience, vacation rentals in the vicinity of Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport provide a great option. These rentals can range from cozy apartments to spacious houses, offering all the necessary amenities for a comfortable stay.
6. Bed and Breakfasts:
For a more intimate and personalized accommodation experience, there are charming bed and breakfast establishments scattered in the area surrounding the airport. These accommodations offer cozy rooms, homemade breakfasts, and a warm and welcoming atmosphere.
Regardless of your budget or preferences, Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport ensures that every traveler can find a suitable place to stay. Whether you are seeking convenience, affordability, or a touch of luxury, the accommodations available at and near the airport provide a wide range of choices for a comfortable and enjoyable stay.
1. Audubon Zoo: Located just a 20-minute drive from the airport, the Audubon Zoo is a must-visit attraction for animal lovers. Home to over 2,000 exotic species, including elephants, giraffes, and orangutans, it offers an educational and entertaining experience for visitors of all ages.
2. French Quarter: Renowned for its vibrant atmosphere and rich history, the French Quarter is one of the city’s most iconic neighborhoods. Approximately 15 miles from the airport, this lively district is known for its charming architecture, lively music scene, and world-renowned restaurants serving delicious Cajun and Creole cuisine.
3. City Park: Just a short drive from the airport, City Park is a sprawling urban oasis spanning over 1,300 acres. It features beautiful gardens, walking trails, picturesque lagoons, and the famous Carousel Gardens Amusement Park, making it an ideal spot for a leisurely stroll or a family-friendly outing.
4. National WWII Museum: Located just 16 miles from the airport, the National WWII Museum is a must-visit for history buffs. The museum showcases an extraordinary collection of exhibits, artifacts, and personal stories, providing a comprehensive and immersive experience of the Second World War.
5. Jackson Square: Situated in the heart of the French Quarter, Jackson Square is a historic park that offers a glimpse into the city’s past. Surrounded by stunning architecture and vibrant street performers, this public square is home to the iconic St. Louis Cathedral and is a popular gathering spot for locals and tourists alike.
6. Garden District: A short drive from the airport, the Garden District is known for its elegant mansions, picturesque streets, and lush gardens. Take a leisurely stroll and marvel at the stunning antebellum homes, oak-lined streets, and the iconic Lafayette Cemetery No. 1, or enjoy shopping at unique boutiques and dining at charming cafes.
7. Steamboat Natchez: Experience the romance of the Mississippi River with a cruise on the Steamboat Natchez. Departing from the heart of the French Quarter, this authentic steamboat offers a relaxing way to see New Orleans from the water, complete with live jazz music, delicious Creole cuisine, and stunning views of the city skyline.
8. Mardi Gras World: Get a behind-the-scenes look at the renowned Mardi Gras celebrations at Mardi Gras World, just a short distance from the airport. This fantastic attraction offers guided tours where visitors can witness the creation of elaborate floats and learn about the history and traditions of this iconic festival.
9. New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival: If you’re lucky enough to visit during the Jazz Fest, it’s an experience not to be missed. Held at the Fair Grounds Race Course, this beloved festival showcases a diverse lineup of musical talents, traditional New Orleans cuisine, and vibrant art stalls.
10. Aquarium of the Americas: Located near the riverfront in downtown New Orleans, the Aquarium of the Americas is a fantastic attraction for marine enthusiasts. With a vast range of exhibits and interactive displays, visitors can observe fascinating aquatic creatures from around the world, including penguins, sharks, and sea turtles.
These attractions near Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport offer a taste of the city’s vibrant culture, history, and natural beauty. Whether you have a layover or are taking a short trip, these diverse attractions will ensure an unforgettable experience in New Orleans.
History of Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport, formerly known as Moisant Field, is located in Kenner, Louisiana, just 11 miles west of downtown New Orleans. The airport was named after the legendary jazz musician, Louis Armstrong, who was born and raised in New Orleans. The airport serves as a major gateway to the city and the surrounding region, handling over 13 million passengers annually.
The airport was originally built in 1946 as a replacement for the older New Orleans Lakefront Airport. It was named after John Bevins Moisant, a pioneering aviator who died in a plane crash in 1910. In 2001, the airport was renamed in honor of Louis Armstrong, who was one of the most influential musicians of the 20th century.
Over the years, the airport has undergone several major renovations and expansions to keep up with the growing demand for air travel. In 2019, a new $1 billion terminal was opened, featuring state-of-the-art facilities and amenities for passengers. The airport is now one of the most modern and efficient airports in the country, offering a wide range of services and amenities to travelers from around the world.
Other Airports in Louisiana, United States
- Acadiana Regional Airport
- Alexandria International Airport
- Barksdale Air Force Base
- Baton Rouge Metropolitan Airport
- Beauregard Regional Airport
- Esler Army Airfield / Esler Regional Airport
- Lafayette Regional Airport
- Lake Charles Regional Airport
- Lakefront Airport
- Louis Armstrong New Orleans International Airport
- Monroe Regional Airport
- New Orleans NAS JRB/Alvin Callender Field
- Polk Army Air Field
- Shreveport Regional Airport