Lungi International Airport is the main airport serving Freetown, the capital city of Sierra Leone. Located on the northern side of the Sierra Leone River, the airport is the gateway to the country for international travelers. It is equipped with modern facilities and serves as a hub for several airlines.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Lungi International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Lungi International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Lungi International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Lungi International Airport
- Other Airports in Northern Province, Sierra Leone
How to Get to Lungi International Airport
Lungi International Airport is located on the opposite side of the Sierra Leone River from Freetown, the capital city of Sierra Leone. The most common way to get to the airport is by taking a ferry from Freetown to Lungi. The ferry ride takes approximately 30 minutes and costs around 40,000 Leones (about $4 USD).
Another option is to take a private speedboat from Aberdeen in Freetown to Lungi. This option is faster and more expensive than the ferry, but it can be more convenient if you have a tight schedule. The cost of a private speedboat varies depending on the operator, but it usually ranges from $50 to $100 USD.
If you prefer to avoid water transportation, you can also take a taxi or a private car from Freetown to Lungi. The journey takes around 3-4 hours and the cost varies depending on the type of vehicle and the negotiation skills of the passenger. It is recommended to book a taxi or a private car in advance to avoid scams and ensure a safe and comfortable journey.
Lungi International Airport is the main international airport serving Freetown, the capital city of Sierra Leone. It is located on the opposite side of the Sierra Leone River from Freetown and is accessible by boat or road. Here are the transportation options available for travelers arriving at Lungi International Airport:
1. Ferry: The most popular and affordable transportation option is the ferry. The ferry operates between the airport and Freetown and takes approximately 30 minutes to cross the river. The ferry runs every day from 7 am to 7 pm and costs around $2 per person.
2. Speedboat: For those who prefer a faster and more private option, speedboats are available for hire. The journey takes around 10-15 minutes and costs around $40 per person.
3. Helicopter: For those who want to arrive in style, helicopter transfers are available from the airport to Freetown. The journey takes around 10 minutes and costs around $200 per person.
4. Taxi: Taxis are available outside the airport terminal and are a convenient option for those who want to travel directly to their destination. The journey to Freetown takes around 1-2 hours and costs around $50-$100 depending on the destination.
5. Private Car: Private cars can be hired from the airport and are a convenient option for those who want to travel in comfort and privacy. The journey to Freetown takes around 1-2 hours and costs around $100-$150 depending on the destination.
In conclusion, travelers arriving at Lungi International Airport have several transportation options to choose from, including the ferry, speedboat, helicopter, taxi, and private car. Each option has its advantages and disadvantages, and travelers should choose the one that best suits their needs and budget.
Lungi International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking lot is located directly in front of the airport terminal. It is ideal for those who need to park for a few hours or a day. The rates are affordable and the lot is monitored by security personnel.
2. Long-term parking: This parking lot is located a short distance from the airport terminal. It is ideal for those who need to park for several days or weeks. The rates are reasonable and the lot is monitored by security personnel.
3. Valet parking: This service is available for those who want the convenience of having their car parked for them. The valet parking area is located in front of the airport terminal. The rates are higher than the other parking options, but the service is convenient and hassle-free.
4. Disabled parking: This parking lot is located near the airport terminal and is reserved for travelers with disabilities. The lot is monitored by security personnel and is equipped with accessible parking spaces.
Overall, Lungi International Airport offers a variety of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need short-term or long-term parking, valet parking, or disabled parking, you can find a suitable option at the airport.
Car Rental at Lungi International Airport
Lungi International Airport is the main airport serving Sierra Leone and is located in the town of Lungi. The airport has two terminals, the Domestic Terminal and the International Terminal. The Domestic Terminal is used for flights within Sierra Leone, while the International Terminal is used for flights to and from other countries.
The International Terminal at Lungi International Airport is a modern and well-equipped facility that offers a range of services to passengers. The terminal has a number of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as duty-free stores where passengers can purchase a variety of goods. There are also several lounges available for passengers who want to relax before their flight.
The Domestic Terminal at Lungi International Airport is a smaller facility that is used for flights within Sierra Leone. The terminal has a few shops and cafes, but is generally less well-equipped than the International Terminal. However, it is still a comfortable and convenient facility for passengers traveling within the country. Overall, Lungi International Airport’s terminals provide a comfortable and efficient experience for travelers, with modern facilities and a range of services to meet their needs.
1. Air India
2. Air India Express
8. Alliance Air
10. Air Costa
11. Air Pegasus
Lungi International Airport is the main airport serving Sierra Leone and is located in the town of Lungi. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
All passengers are required to go through a security screening process before entering the airport terminal. This includes a baggage screening process, metal detector screening, and body scanning. Any prohibited items found during the screening process will be confiscated.
The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport premises and conduct regular patrols. The airport has installed CCTV cameras throughout the terminal and parking areas to monitor any suspicious activity.
In addition, the airport has implemented a strict access control system to restrict unauthorized access to sensitive areas. Only authorized personnel are allowed to enter restricted areas such as the runway, aircraft parking areas, and baggage handling areas.
Overall, Lungi International Airport has implemented comprehensive security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The airport continues to review and update its security measures to stay ahead of any potential threats.
Lungi International Airport is the main airport serving Sierra Leone and is located on the opposite side of the Sierra Leone River from the capital city, Freetown. The airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers.
One of the key services offered at Lungi International Airport is the Meet and Greet service. This service is designed to assist passengers upon arrival at the airport and includes a personal escort through immigration and customs, baggage collection, and transportation to their final destination. This service is particularly useful for first-time visitors to Sierra Leone or those who are unfamiliar with the airport.
Another important service offered at Lungi International Airport is the VIP Lounge. This lounge provides a comfortable and relaxing environment for passengers to wait for their flights. The lounge offers a range of amenities, including complimentary refreshments, Wi-Fi, and newspapers and magazines. Passengers can also access the lounge’s business center, which includes printing and faxing facilities.
Finally, Lungi International Airport offers a range of other traveler’s assistance services, including baggage wrapping, currency exchange, and car rental. These services are designed to make the travel experience as convenient and stress-free as possible for passengers. Overall, Lungi International Airport is committed to providing high-quality traveler’s assistance services to ensure that passengers have a pleasant and enjoyable travel experience.
Shops and Restaurants
Lungi International Airport, located in Sierra Leone, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shop – offers a wide range of products including perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco.
2. Souvenir Shop – sells traditional African handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
3. Bookstore – offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers.
1. Café Afrique – serves a variety of African and international dishes, including sandwiches, salads, and pastries.
2. Burger King – offers a range of burgers, fries, and soft drinks.
3. Pizza Hut – serves a selection of pizzas, sides, and desserts.
In addition to these options, there are also several bars and coffee shops available for travelers to relax and enjoy a drink or snack before their flight. Overall, Lungi International Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options to suit the needs of all travelers.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Lungi International Airport, located in Freetown, Sierra Leone, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors of different faiths. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at the airport:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim prayer room is located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. It is open 24 hours a day and provides a quiet and peaceful space for prayer and reflection.
2. Christian Chapel – The Christian chapel is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and offers a serene environment for worship and meditation.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The multi-faith prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the duty-free shops. It is open 24 hours a day and welcomes people of all faiths to pray and reflect in a peaceful and inclusive environment.
4. Hindu Prayer Room – The Hindu prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and provides a dedicated space for Hindu passengers and visitors to pray and offer their devotions.
All the prayer rooms and worship areas at Lungi International Airport are well-maintained and equipped with necessary facilities such as prayer mats, religious texts, and ablution facilities. Passengers and visitors are encouraged to use these spaces for their spiritual needs and to respect the religious practices of others.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Lungi International Airport, located in Freetown, Sierra Leone, offers a range of facilities for travelers, including WiFi and workspace options.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access to all passengers throughout the terminal building. This service allows travelers to stay connected with their loved ones, check their emails, and browse the internet while waiting for their flights.
Workspace: For those who need to work or study while waiting for their flights, Lungi International Airport offers a range of workspace options. The airport has a business center equipped with computers, printers, and other office equipment. Additionally, there are several cafes and restaurants in the terminal building that offer comfortable seating and tables for travelers to work on their laptops or read.
Overall, Lungi International Airport provides convenient and reliable WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers who need to stay connected and productive while waiting for their flights.
Lungi International Airport in Sierra Leone is home to a variety of lounges for travelers to enjoy. Here are three of the airport’s lounges and their locations:
- The Star Class Lounge: Located in the Departure Hall of Terminal 1
- The President’s Lounge: Located in the Departure Hall of Terminal 1
- The Executive Lounge: Located in the Departure Hall of Terminal 2
Accomodation Options Nearby Lungi International Airport
Lungi International Airport, located near Freetown, Sierra Leone, offers a range of accommodation options catering to the diverse needs and budgets of travelers. Whether you are seeking a budget-friendly place to rest or looking to indulge in luxury, this guide has got you covered. Here are a few accommodation options within close proximity to Lungi International Airport:
1. Budget-friendly guesthouses:
If you are looking for an economical stay, consider the guesthouses situated around the airport. These affordable options offer comfortable rooms, basic amenities, and a friendly atmosphere. In addition, many guesthouses provide shuttle services to and from the airport, making for a convenient choice for budget travelers.
2. Mid-range hotels:
For those seeking a balance between affordability and comfort, several mid-range hotels are available. These properties provide modern amenities such as air-conditioned rooms, complimentary Wi-Fi, and on-site dining options. Additionally, some hotels may offer airport transfers, ensuring a hassle-free experience for guests.
3. Upscale lodges:
If you prefer a more refined experience, there are luxurious lodges in the vicinity of the airport. These lodges boast spacious rooms, elegant interiors, and top-notch facilities, including swimming pools, fitness centers, and beautiful gardens. Offering an array of dining options, these lodges often specialize in serving both local and international cuisine.
4. Boutique hotels:
For a unique and personalized stay, boutique hotels in proximity to Lungi International Airport provide a distinctive charm. These intimate accommodations often showcase local art, culture, and architecture. Guests can enjoy impeccable service, well-appointed rooms, and stylish common areas.
5. International chains:
Several renowned international hotel chains have established their presence near the airport. These familiar names provide a guarantee of quality and consistency for travelers. With a range of rooms to choose from and various amenities on offer, these hotels cater to the needs of different types of guests.
It’s advisable to book accommodation in advance, especially during peak seasons, to ensure availability. Many hotels and lodges can be contacted directly for reservations or can be booked through various online travel platforms. Whether you prefer a pocket-friendly stay or a luxurious retreat, Lungi International Airport offers a range of accommodation options to suit your preferences.
1. Aberdeen Beach: Located just a short distance from Lungi International Airport, Aberdeen Beach offers visitors a pristine stretch of golden sand and a refreshing break from the city’s hustle and bustle. Take a leisurely stroll or enjoy a dip in the crystal-clear waters.
2. Sierra Leone National Museum: Situated in the capital city, Freetown, the Sierra Leone National Museum is a cultural gem that showcases the country’s rich history and heritage. Explore a range of exhibits that include pottery, traditional art, and artifacts from the colonial era.
3. Cape Sierra Lighthouse: Overlooking the Atlantic Ocean, the Cape Sierra Lighthouse stands tall and offers magnificent panoramic views of Freetown. Climb to the top and be rewarded with breathtaking vistas and a glimpse into Sierra Leone’s maritime history.
4. Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary: Located around 20 kilometers from the airport, Tacugama Chimpanzee Sanctuary is a sanctuary dedicated to the protection and rehabilitation of orphaned and endangered chimpanzees. Visitors can learn about these fascinating creatures and support their conservation efforts.
5. River Number Two Beach: Nestled along the coast between Freetown and Lungi, River Number Two Beach is a tranquil paradise perfect for a day trip. With its pristine sands, palm trees, and calm turquoise waters, it’s an idyllic spot for swimming, snorkeling, and picnicking.
6. Bunce Island: Accessible by boat from Freetown, Bunce Island holds immense historical significance as a former slave trading center. Take a guided tour to learn about the harrowing past of this UNESCO World Heritage site and pay homage to the lives affected by the transatlantic slave trade.
7. Cotton Tree: Situated in Freetown’s center, the Cotton Tree is an iconic symbol of the city. This majestic tree holds cultural importance, as it is believed to have provided shelter to the first settlers of Freetown. Pay a visit to this living legend and soak in its historical significance.
8. Lumley Beach: Another beautiful beach near the airport, Lumley Beach, also known as Azzolini Beach, offers visitors a vibrant atmosphere. Take a dip, try fresh seafood at the beachfront restaurants, or enjoy a sunset stroll against the backdrop of palm-fringed shores.
9. Tacugama Forest Reserve: Adjacent to the chimpanzee sanctuary, Tacugama Forest Reserve is a biodiverse haven for nature enthusiasts. Embark on guided nature walks and birdwatching tours to spot a variety of fauna and flora, including rare and endemic species.
10. Banana Island: Located off the coast of Sierra Leone and accessible by boat, Banana Island is a paradise for scuba divers and snorkelers. Explore vibrant coral reefs, swim with colorful fish, and relax on secluded beaches surrounded by unspoiled nature.
These attractions provide a wonderful mix of cultural, historical, and natural experiences near Lungi International Airport, making the area an ideal starting point to explore the diverse beauty of Sierra Leone.
History of Lungi International Airport
Lungi International Airport is the main airport serving Freetown, the capital city of Sierra Leone. The airport is located in the town of Lungi, across the Sierra Leone River from Freetown. The airport was originally built in the 1940s as a military airfield by the British colonial government. It was later expanded and upgraded to serve as a civilian airport in the 1960s.
In the 1990s, the airport suffered significant damage during the Sierra Leone Civil War. The airport was closed for several years and was only reopened in 2001 after extensive repairs and renovations. Since then, the airport has undergone several upgrades and expansions to improve its facilities and services.
Today, Lungi International Airport is a modern airport with a single terminal building and two runways. It serves as the main gateway to Sierra Leone, with several international airlines operating regular flights to and from the airport. The airport is also an important hub for domestic flights within Sierra Leone, connecting Freetown with other major cities and towns in the country.
Other Airports in Northern Province, Sierra Leone