The Makarora Airstrip is a small, remote airfield nestled in the breathtaking landscapes of New Zealand. Located near the Makarora Valley in Otago, this airstrip serves as a gateway to explore the surrounding natural wonders, including the majestic Southern Alps and the pristine Makarora River.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Makarora Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Makarora Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Makarora Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Makarora Airstrip
- Other Airports in Otago Region, New Zealand
How to Get to Makarora Airstrip
To reach Makarora Airstrip in New Zealand, various transportation options are available. If you are arriving from other parts of the country, the most convenient way is to catch a domestic flight to Queenstown, located approximately 80 kilometers south of Makarora. Once you land at Queenstown Airport, the next step is to hire a rental car or take a shuttle service to cover the distance to Makarora. The drive from Queenstown to Makarora takes about one and a half to two hours, offering picturesque views of Lake Wanaka and the surrounding mountains.
Alternatively, if you are already in the South Island and plan to reach Makarora from Wanaka, head north on State Highway 6. The journey from Wanaka to Makarora lasts around 50 minutes, covering approximately 60 kilometers. The drive takes you on a scenic route along the shores of Lake Wanaka and the Haast River, displaying the region’s breathtaking natural beauty.
Once you reach Makarora, the airstrip is easily accessible. It is located near the township, allowing you to quickly reach your destination upon arrival. It’s important to note that as Makarora is a small town, public transportation options are limited, so it is advisable to have a pre-arranged transfer or a personal vehicle for convenience during your stay.
Makarora Airstrip, located in the breathtaking region of New Zealand, offers travelers a range of transportation options to explore the surrounding areas. Here are some convenient modes of transportation available at Makarora Airstrip:
1. Rental Cars: One of the most popular transportation choices at Makarora Airstrip is renting a car. Several reputable car rental companies operate in the area, providing visitors with the freedom to explore at their own pace. Whether you prefer a compact vehicle or a more spacious SUV, renting a car offers flexibility and convenience for discovering the stunning landscapes, nearby attractions, and hidden gems at your leisure.
2. Shuttle Services: Makarora Airstrip also has shuttle services available for travelers who prefer not to drive or want a hassle-free option. These shuttle services provide convenient and comfortable transportation to various destinations in the region, such as nearby towns, national parks, and tourist hotspots. Whether you’re traveling solo or in a group, shuttle services offer a cost-effective way to get around and ensure a stress-free journey.
3. Taxi Services: Another transportation option at Makarora Airstrip is the availability of taxi services. Taxis offer a convenient mode of transportation for those who prefer a quick and reliable way to reach their destination. Travelers can easily hire a taxi at the airport, whether you’re heading to your accommodation, local attractions, or nearby hiking trails. With experienced drivers who possess extensive knowledge of the area, taxis offer a comfortable and efficient way to get around.
4. Guided Tours: If you’re looking for a more immersive experience and local insights, joining a guided tour is highly recommended. Several tour operators offer guided tours departing from Makarora Airstrip. These tours cover a wide range of activities, such as scenic helicopter flights, jet boat rides, hiking expeditions, and wildlife encounters. Joining a guided tour allows you to fully immerse yourself in the unique natural beauty of the region while enjoying the expertise of knowledgeable guides who can provide valuable insights and stories.
5. Walking and Cycling: For nature enthusiasts and outdoor adventurers, walking and cycling are fantastic options to explore the areas surrounding Makarora Airstrip. The region boasts a network of well-maintained hiking trails and cycling paths, allowing visitors to experience the stunning landscapes up close. Discover the picturesque valleys, crystal-clear lakes, and majestic mountains at your own pace, immersing yourself in the tranquility and serenity of this magnificent part of New Zealand.
In conclusion, Makarora Airstrip provides travelers with a variety of transportation options to explore the stunning natural beauty of this New Zealand region. Whether you prefer the freedom of renting a car, the convenience of shuttle services, the ease of taxi rides, the local insights from guided tours, or the outdoor experiences of walking and cycling, Makarora Airstrip ensures that every visitor can find a transportation option that suits their needs and preferences.
Makarora Airstrip, located in New Zealand, offers convenient car parking options for visitors. Situated amidst the stunning landscapes of the Makarora area, this airstrip is well-equipped to cater to those arriving by car.
The car parking facilities at Makarora Airstrip are conveniently located adjacent to the airstrip itself, ensuring easy access for passengers and visitors. Whether you are dropping someone off, picking someone up, or simply using the airstrip as a starting point for your adventure, you can rest assured knowing that your vehicle will be securely parked nearby.
Upon arriving at Makarora Airstrip, you will find designated parking spaces that are clearly marked, allowing for efficient and organized parking. The well-maintained parking area offers ample space for vehicles of various sizes, providing a hassle-free parking experience.
The proximity of the car parking to the airstrip means that you can quickly and easily reach your desired terminal or departure point without any unnecessary delays. This is especially advantageous for those with limited time or multiple errands to accomplish during their visit to Makarora.
Additionally, the car parking facilities at Makarora Airstrip are regularly monitored and supervised, ensuring the safety and security of parked vehicles. This provides peace of mind for visitors, allowing them to focus on their journey or enjoy the picturesque surroundings without worrying about their vehicle’s well-being.
In conclusion, Makarora Airstrip in New Zealand offers convenient and well-maintained car parking facilities for visitors. With its close proximity to the airstrip and reliable security measures, parking at Makarora Airstrip is a hassle-free experience, allowing visitors to fully enjoy their time in this beautiful region.
Car Rental at Makarora Airstrip
Makarora Airstrip, located in the breathtaking South Island of New Zealand, is a small but essential airfield that serves as a gateway to the stunning wilderness of the Southern Alps. Nestled amidst pristine mountains, the airstrip provides vital access for aerial tourism and transportation in the region. While modest in size, it features a well-maintained runway and basic facilities that cater to the needs of pilots and passengers alike.
The terminal building at Makarora Airstrip is a simple and functional structure, designed to accommodate the essential needs of travelers. Inside, visitors will find a welcoming space with a small seating area and basic amenities like restrooms and refreshments. The facility’s cozy atmosphere ensures a comfortable experience for passengers awaiting their flights, with ample natural light flooding in through large windows, allowing them to take in the picturesque surrounding scenery.
As a hub for adventurers and outdoor enthusiasts, Makarora Airstrip’s terminals reflect the spirit of exploration and discovery that pervades the area. The airfield primarily caters to scenic flights and charters, opening up opportunities for visitors to witness the breathtaking landscapes of Mt. Aspiring National Park. From here, travelers can embark on thrilling helicopter rides, explore remote hiking trails, or engage in a range of exciting outdoor activities. Makarora Airstrip truly embodies the essence of New Zealand’s natural beauty and serves as an ideal starting point for unforgettable adventures in this stunning part of the world.
The Makarora Airstrip in New Zealand is primarily used for general aviation purposes, and there are no scheduled operating airlines that regularly serve this airport.
Makarora Airstrip, located in New Zealand, follows stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and security of its operations. As a small regional airstrip, it may not have the same level of security measures as larger international airports, but it still maintains a comprehensive system to mitigate risks and maintain safety standards.
Access to the airstrip is restricted, with entry only granted to those with authorized clearance. All individuals entering the area must identify themselves and state the purpose of their visit. This level of access control helps prevent any unauthorized personnel from entering the airstrip grounds and limits potential security threats.
Additionally, Makarora Airstrip employs surveillance devices, such as video cameras, to monitor the premises. These cameras provide a constant watchful eye over the area, helping to deter any unauthorized activities and assisting in identifying any suspicious behavior or potential security breaches.
Furthermore, an airport security team is present to ensure compliance with safety protocols and to respond swiftly to any security incidents or emergencies. The security team maintains a visible presence, regularly patrolling the area, and conducting routine security checks.
Overall, while Makarora Airstrip may not have the same extensive security measures as larger airports, it prioritizes the safety and security of its operations by implementing access controls, surveillance systems, and a dedicated security team. These protocols contribute to the overall peace of mind for passengers, staff, and stakeholders who utilize this regional airstrip in New Zealand.
Makarora Airstrip, located in the stunning South Island of New Zealand, is a small but crucial airfield that provides travelers with convenient access to the breathtaking Makarora region. Nestled amidst the Southern Alps and bordered by the crystal-clear waters of the Makarora River, this airstrip serves as a vital link for those seeking to explore the natural wonders and outdoor adventures of the area.
Travelers visiting the Makarora Airstrip can expect a hassle-free and efficient experience. With a well-maintained runway measuring around 600 meters, this airstrip accommodates both fixed-wing aircraft and helicopters. The facility offers ample parking space for private planes, ensuring a smooth arrival and departure process. Additionally, the airstrip is equipped with basic facilities, including a small terminal building and restroom facilities, providing essential amenities for visitors.
The Makarora Airstrip serves as a gateway to an abundance of outdoor activities and attractions. From here, travelers can embark on epic hiking trails, such as the famous Routeburn Track, offering stunning views of snow-capped mountains, lush forests, and pristine lakes. Adventurers can also indulge in thrilling activities like jet boating, fishing, and kayaking, taking advantage of the region’s remarkable natural beauty.
In summary, Makarora Airstrip is a vital transportation hub for travelers seeking to explore the awe-inspiring Makarora region in New Zealand. With its convenient location and well-maintained facilities, this airstrip offers a seamless travel experience for visitors. From here, adventurers can immerse themselves in the unparalleled beauty of the Southern Alps, embark on epic hiking trails, and partake in thrilling outdoor activities. Makarora Airstrip truly serves as a gateway to an unforgettable New Zealand travel experience.
Shops and Restaurants
Makarora Airstrip, nestled in the picturesque region of New Zealand, offers a range of shops and restaurants to enhance the travel experience of visitors. Whether you’re embarking on an adventure or simply passing through, these establishments aim to provide convenience and satisfy your cravings for delicious cuisine. Here are some notable options you’ll find at Makarora Airstrip:
1. Flight Café: Located right at the airstrip, Flight Café is the perfect spot to grab a quick bite before or after your flight. This cozy café presents a variety of freshly brewed coffees, refreshing beverages, and an enticing selection of pastries, sandwiches, and light meals. Fuel up for your journey or take a moment to unwind and savor the delightful ambiance.
2. Makarora Country Store: Adjacent to the airstrip, the Makarora Country Store is a one-stop-shop for all your travel essentials. From snacks and beverages to camping gear and fishing supplies, this well-stocked store caters to the needs of visitors exploring the great outdoors. It also offers a range of local products, including honey, jams, and souvenirs, allowing you to bring a taste of Makarora back home.
3. Makarora Wilderness Resort Restaurant: Situated within close proximity to the airstrip, the Makarora Wilderness Resort Restaurant is a must-visit for those seeking a satisfying meal in a serene setting. This restaurant prides itself on serving delectable dishes prepared with locally sourced ingredients, including fresh fish from nearby rivers and succulent meats. With its warm atmosphere and friendly staff, the restaurant offers a memorable dining experience for both guests and passersby.
4. The Old School Café: A short distance from the airstrip, The Old School Café is a charming establishment that captures the essence of the region. Housed in a historic building, this café exudes a rustic charm and serves up a range of dishes made from locally grown produce. Indulge in their hearty breakfast options, delectable sandwiches, or scrumptious homemade desserts while taking in the breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
5. Makarora Tourist Centre: A hub of activity near the airstrip, the Makarora Tourist Centre is a convenient stop for travelers seeking information and assistance. In addition to providing helpful advice on local attractions, this center also features a small shop offering snacks, drinks, and basic supplies. It’s a great place to gather information and pick up any last-minute necessities before continuing your journey.
Makarora Airstrip’s collection of shops and restaurants caters to the diverse needs and tastes of visitors. From quick snacks to hearty meals, this quaint location ensures that travelers have access to essential amenities and enjoyable dining experiences. So, whether you’re passing through or planning to explore the wonders of Makarora, make sure to check out these delightful establishments at the airstrip.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
In Makarora, New Zealand, visitors and residents alike can find prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to their spiritual needs. These dedicated spaces provide a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in prayer, meditation, and worship. Here are some notable locations in Makarora where prayer rooms and worship areas can be found:
1. Makarora Airstrip Prayer Room:
Located near the Makarora Airstrip, this prayer room offers a tranquil setting for individuals seeking a space for prayer and quiet reflection. Situated within the vicinity of the airstrip, it provides convenient access for travelers passing through Makarora.
2. Makarora Village Church:
Situated in the heart of Makarora Village, this church serves as a hub for worship and spiritual gatherings. It offers a dedicated area for prayer and contemplation, allowing individuals to connect with their faith in a serene atmosphere. The Makarora Village Church warmly welcomes all visitors seeking a place of worship.
3. Outdoor Worship Area near Makarora River:
For those who prefer to connect with their spirituality amidst nature, an outdoor worship area near the picturesque Makarora River is available. Surrounded by breathtaking landscapes, this open-air space provides a peaceful sanctuary for prayer and spiritual reflection.
4. Retreat Centers and Lodges:
Several retreat centers and lodges in Makarora offer prayer rooms and designated worship areas within their premises. These facilities cater to individuals seeking a more immersive spiritual experience during their stay. Visitors can inquire with these accommodations about the availability and location of their prayer rooms and worship areas.
It is always advisable to contact these locations in advance to inquire about their opening hours and any specific guidelines or requirements they may have. Whether you are a resident or a traveler passing through Makarora, these prayer rooms and worship areas ensure that individuals have the opportunity to nurture their spiritual well-being in a serene and supportive environment.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Makarora Airstrip, nestled in the stunning landscapes of New Zealand, offers a serene and peaceful environment for travelers. While it may be a small and remote airstrip, it does not compromise on the essential amenities that modern-day travelers seek, including WiFi and workspace facilities.
For those seeking to stay connected during their visit, Makarora Airstrip provides reliable WiFi access throughout its premises. Whether you need to catch up on work emails, browse the internet for travel information, or simply stay connected with loved ones, you can count on a stable and fast internet connection at this airstrip.
In addition to WiFi, Makarora Airstrip also offers convenient workspace facilities for those who need to get some work done or require a quiet space for personal tasks. The airport provides designated areas equipped with comfortable seating, ample lighting, and power outlets. Whether you need to focus on important documents, engage in video conferences, or simply require a quiet area to brainstorm, you can find a suitable workspace at Makarora Airstrip.
The peaceful and picturesque surroundings of Makarora Airstrip only enhance the experience of using the WiFi and workspace facilities. Situated amidst the awe-inspiring beauty of New Zealand’s wilderness, visitors can take breaks from their work and immerse themselves in nature. The scenic views and tranquil ambiance create the perfect setting for finding inspiration or unwinding after a productive day.
Overall, Makarora Airstrip understands the importance of connectivity and productivity for travelers. With its reliable WiFi and well-equipped workspace facilities, it caters to the needs of both business and leisure travelers alike. So, whether you are passing through this remote location or have chosen it as your destination, rest assured that Makarora Airstrip ensures you can stay connected and work efficiently while enjoying the breathtaking surroundings of New Zealand.
Accomodation Options Nearby Makarora Airstrip
Makarora Airstrip, located in the stunning wilderness of New Zealand, offers a range of accommodation options to cater to various budgets and preferences. From budget-friendly alternatives to luxurious retreats, visitors can find something to suit their needs while enjoying the natural wonders of this picturesque region.
1. Campsites: For budget-conscious travelers seeking a back-to-nature experience, Makarora Airstrip features several campsites. These sites are usually equipped with basic facilities such as toilets, showers, and communal cooking areas.
2. Backpacker Lodges: Ideal for those traveling on a tight budget, backpacker lodges near Makarora Airstrip provide affordable accommodations combined with a social atmosphere. Guests can expect shared dormitory-style rooms, self-catering facilities, and common areas to mingle with fellow travelers.
3. Motels: Offering a comfortable and convenient stay, motels in the area are a popular mid-range accommodation option. They provide well-equipped en-suite rooms with basic amenities like a small kitchenette, television, and parking facilities.
4. Holiday Parks: These family-friendly accommodations provide a range of options, including cabins, self-contained units, and powered campsites. Holiday parks around Makarora Airstrip typically have amenities such as playgrounds, communal BBQ areas, and laundry facilities, making them perfect for a relaxed getaway.
5. Bed and Breakfasts: For a more personalized experience, bed and breakfast establishments in the area offer cozy rooms, often with picturesque views. These accommodations may include a homemade breakfast, making them an excellent option for couples or individuals seeking a warm and homely atmosphere.
6. Eco-Lodges: Embracing sustainable practices, eco-lodges in Makarora Airstrip allow guests to connect with nature without compromising on comfort. Offering eco-friendly accommodation options, these lodges often feature natural surroundings, organic meals, and various activities centered around conservation and environmental awareness.
7. Luxury Lodges: For those seeking the ultimate indulgence, Makarora Airstrip boasts extravagant luxury lodges. These exclusive establishments provide world-class amenities, exceptional service, gourmet dining, and breathtaking settings. These impeccable lodges ensure a truly opulent experience, complemented by breathtaking vistas and unparalleled privacy.
With this diverse range of accommodation options available at Makarora Airstrip, visitors can find their perfect match, whether they are eco-conscious backpackers or luxury seekers. No matter the choice, a memorable stay is assured amidst the natural beauty and tranquility of this captivating New Zealand destination.
1. Blue Pools: Located just a short drive from Makarora Airstrip, the Blue Pools are a must-visit attraction for nature lovers. These crystal clear pools offer a refreshing swimming spot and breathtaking views of the surrounding mountains.
2. Rob Roy Glacier Track: Embark on a scenic hike along the Rob Roy Glacier Track, starting near the airstrip. This moderately challenging trail offers stunning views of waterfalls, glaciers, and alpine meadows, making it a photographer’s paradise.
3. Wilkin River Jets: Experience an exhilarating jet boat ride on the Wilkin River. This thrilling adventure will take you through rapids, narrow channels, and pristine wilderness, providing an unforgettable adrenaline rush.
4. Makarora Valley Scenic Reserve: Explore the enchanting Makarora Valley Scenic Reserve, boasting diverse flora and fauna, ancient forests, and picturesque landscapes. Hiking or biking through this reserve is a great way to immerse yourself in nature.
5. Blue Pools Nature Reserve: Adjacent to the Makarora Valley Scenic Reserve, the Blue Pools Nature Reserve is home to a unique ecosystem of native plants and bird species. Follow the well-maintained paths to explore this tranquil paradise.
6. Young Link Nature Walk: Ideal for families and nature enthusiasts, the Young Link Nature Walk showcases the pristine beauty of the Makarora River. This flat trail is suitable for all skill levels and offers a great opportunity for bird watching.
7. Thunder Creek Falls: Don’t miss the majestic Thunder Creek Falls, a short drive from Makarora Airstrip. These impressive cascades plunge 96 meters into the Haast River, creating a striking photo opportunity.
8. Mount Brewster: For experienced hikers and climbers, Mount Brewster poses an exciting challenge. This snow-capped peak offers panoramic views and a sense of accomplishment for those who reach its summit.
9. Gillespie’s Beach: Just a scenic drive away, Gillespie’s Beach is a stunning coastal haven. Walk along the golden sands, explore the remnants of historic gold mining, or spot seals and seabirds.
10. Haast Pass: The famous Haast Pass road is a picturesque drive that links the west and east coasts of New Zealand’s South Island. Marvel at breathtaking waterfalls, stunning mountain vistas, and dramatic river valleys as you navigate this scenic route.
Remember to check local regulations, weather conditions, and safety guidelines before visiting any attractions near Makarora Airstrip for a safe and enjoyable experience.
History of Makarora Airstrip
Makarora Airstrip, located in the beautiful South Island of New Zealand, holds a significant place in the nation’s aviation history. Dating back to the early 1950s, the airstrip was initially a military facility built during World War II to support reconnaissance flights. Its strategic location in the Makarora Valley, nestled amidst breathtaking mountains and pristine wilderness, made it an ideal base for the New Zealand Air Force.
After the war, the Makarora Airstrip was handed over to the Civil Aviation Division, and its purpose shifted to serving as an essential transport hub for the remote surrounding areas. Over time, its runway was extended and improved to accommodate larger aircraft, attracting both commercial and private operators. Despite its expansion, the airstrip has managed to retain its rustic charm, exuding a sense of adventure and wilderness to all who visit.
Today, Makarora Airstrip continues to play a crucial role in connecting the region’s remote communities to the outside world. It serves as a vital lifeline for locals and tourists alike, enabling them to access the stunning landscapes of the Southern Alps, the Mount Aspiring National Park, and the nearby glaciers. Whether it be recreational activities such as skiing, hiking, or eco-tourism ventures, the airstrip serves as a gateway to the natural wonders that New Zealand has to offer.
With its rich history and breathtaking surroundings, Makarora Airstrip stands as a testament to New Zealand’s pioneering spirit and commitment to exploration. It not only represents the country’s aviation achievements but also embodies the deep appreciation for its remarkable natural landscapes. Whether landing or departing, visitors to Makarora Airstrip are greeted with awe-inspiring views, leaving an indelible memory of this remarkable slice of Kiwi history.
Other Airports in Otago Region, New Zealand
- Alexandra Aerodrome
- Balclutha Aerodrome
- Cromwell Racecourse Aerodrome
- Cromwell/Louburn Airport
- Dingleburn Station Airstrip
- Dunedin International Airport
- Glenorchy Airport
- Glenshe Airstrip
- Hawea Downs
- Makarora Airstrip
- Oamaru Airport
- Queenstown International Airport
- Roxburgh Aerodrome
- Taieri Airport
- Wanaka Airport