Makini Airport is a small domestic airport nestled amidst the stunning landscapes of Papua New Guinea. Serving the Makini region, this airport provides easy access to various remote destinations within the country, fostering connectivity and facilitating regional travel.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Makini Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Makini Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Makini Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Makini Airport
- Other Airports in Morobe, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Makini Airport
To reach Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea, you can follow these straightforward instructions:
1. By air: The most convenient way to reach Makini Airport is by flying to Jacksons International Airport (also known as Port Moresby Airport). Numerous international airlines offer direct flights to Port Moresby from major cities. Once you arrive at the airport, you can catch a domestic flight operated by Air Niugini or PNG Air to Makini Airport. The flight duration typically ranges from one to two hours.
2. By road: If you prefer to travel by land, it is possible to reach Makini Airport from various locations within Papua New Guinea. From Port Moresby, you can take the Hiritano Highway, heading northeast toward Bereina. After approximately 160 km (100 miles), you will reach Bereina, from where it is another 122 km (76 miles) on the Tapini Highway to Makini. The journey can take around six hours, depending on road conditions.
3. Local transportation: Within Papua New Guinea, traveling to Makini Airport from nearby towns or villages can be done using local transportation services. Public buses, commonly known as PMVs (Public Motor Vehicles), are available for intercity travel, but be aware that these might not always follow strict schedules. Shared taxis or private hire vehicles (like minibusses or 4WD taxis) are other viable options for reaching Makini Airport directly or connecting from nearby areas.
Keep in mind that road and weather conditions can vary, so it is advisable to check for updated travel information and make any necessary arrangements before embarking on your journey to Makini Airport to ensure a smooth and hassle-free experience.
Located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Makini Airport serves as an essential transportation hub for both domestic and international travelers. Offering various transportation options, this airport ensures convenient access to and from the region.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at Makini Airport and provide a hassle-free mode of transportation for visitors. These comfortable and reliable vehicles operate on fixed rates and can conveniently take you to your desired destination within the Eastern Highlands Province.
2. Car Rentals: For those seeking more independence and flexibility, car rental services are available at Makini Airport. Several well-known car rental companies operate within the airport premises, offering a wide range of vehicles to suit your specific travel needs. Renting a car allows you to explore the region at your own pace, making it an excellent option for both business and leisure travelers.
3. Shuttle Services: Various shuttle services operate between Makini Airport and major hotels in the region. These services cater to the specific needs of travelers, ensuring a comfortable and efficient transfer to your accommodation. By availing these shuttle services, you can relax and enjoy your journey, knowing that you will be dropped off right at the doorstep of your hotel.
4. Public Transportation: Public buses and minibusses are popular among locals for commuting within the Eastern Highlands Province. While less commonly used by tourists due to language barriers and unfamiliar routes, they can provide an affordable and culturally immersive way to explore the area. These public transportation options can be found just outside Makini Airport, offering an authentic way to experience the local lifestyle.
5. Hotel Transfers: Many hotels in the Eastern Highlands Province offer their guests complimentary or paid airport transfer services. It is advisable to check with your accommodation in advance to confirm if they provide this convenient option. Hotel transfers provide a convenient and hassle-free transportation method, ensuring a smooth transition from the airport to your hotel.
In conclusion, Makini Airport presents a range of transportation options that cater to the needs of travelers visiting the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. From taxis, car rentals, and shuttle services to public transportation and hotel transfers, visitors have several reliable and convenient ways to explore and enjoy their time in this beautiful region.
Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a convenient and reliable car parking service for travelers. Located just a short distance from the main terminal, the car parking area is easily accessible and provides a secure place to leave your vehicle.
Upon entering the airport premises, you will find the designated car parking area clearly marked and well-maintained. It offers ample space for various sizes of vehicles, including cars, trucks, and motorcycles. Makini Airport ensures that your vehicle is protected during your time away, giving you peace of mind while you travel.
The car parking area at Makini Airport is conveniently situated within close proximity to the main terminal building. This means that you can conveniently drop off your vehicle and easily access the departure area without any hassle. Furthermore, the close proximity allows for a quick and hassle-free return to your vehicle upon your arrival.
Security is a top priority at Makini Airport car parking. The entire area is equipped with state-of-the-art surveillance cameras, ensuring round-the-clock monitoring and protection for your vehicle. On-site security personnel are present at all times to maintain safety and offer assistance if needed.
Additionally, the car parking rates at Makini Airport are affordable and competitive, making it an ideal choice for both short and long-term parking needs. The payment process is straightforward and convenient, allowing you to easily settle the parking fees upon your return.
Whether you are flying for business or leisure, Makini Airport car parking guarantees a secure and convenient parking option for travelers. With its prime location and commitment to customer satisfaction, you can trust that your vehicle will be well taken care of while you are away.
Car Rental at Makini Airport
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, is a domestic airport serving both leisure and business travelers. The airport features a single terminal that caters to passengers departing and arriving within the country. With its compact size, travelers will find it easy and convenient to navigate the airport’s facilities.
The terminal at Makini Airport offers a range of amenities to ensure a comfortable and hassle-free travel experience. Passengers can find all the essential services they may need, including check-in counters, immigration and customs facilities, and baggage claim areas. Additionally, the terminal provides ample seating areas and clean washrooms, guaranteeing a pleasant atmosphere during layovers or waits for flights.
Makini Airport’s terminal also hosts several commercial establishments, such as retail shops and food outlets, enabling passengers to grab a quick bite or purchase last-minute essentials. The airport’s friendly staff is readily available to assist travelers with any queries or concerns. With its efficient operations and user-friendly facilities, Makini Airport’s terminal ensures an enjoyable journey for all passengers traveling to various destinations within Papua New Guinea.
Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea is a small airport that is primarily used for domestic flights by various airlines. Some of the operating airlines at Makini Airport include:
1. Air Niugini
2. PNG Air
5. MAF Papua New Guinea
Please note that the airlines operating at Makini Airport may vary, and it is always best to check with the specific airline or travel agencies for the most up-to-date information on flight schedules and bookings.
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has implemented a set of robust security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of all passengers, staff, and stakeholders. These measures are designed to mitigate potential threats and maintain a secure environment throughout the airport premises.
To begin with, the airport strictly enforces access control regulations. Passengers, employees, and authorized personnel must provide valid identification and undergo thorough screening procedures before entering restricted areas. This includes baggage checks, body scans, and metal detectors to detect any prohibited items that may pose a safety risk.
Additionally, Makini Airport has implemented advanced surveillance systems throughout the facility. Strategically placed CCTV cameras constantly monitor the airport, providing real-time video feeds to a centralized control room. Trained security personnel closely monitor these feeds, ensuring prompt detection and response to any suspicious activities or behavior.
Furthermore, highly skilled security staff are present at all times to provide a visible and reassuring presence throughout the airport. Equipped with extensive training, these professionals are well-prepared to handle a wide range of security incidents effectively. They work closely with local authorities to enhance emergency response capabilities and maintain a safe environment for all passengers and staff.
In conclusion, Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea has established stringent security protocols to proactively address potential threats and guarantee a secure experience for everyone. Through access control enforcement, comprehensive surveillance systems, and capable security personnel, the airport strives to uphold a high standard of safety in line with international aviation standards.
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as an important gateway for travelers visiting this stunning and culturally diverse country. As a traveler, you can expect to receive various forms of assistance at Makini Airport to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey. The airport staff is known for their warm hospitality and dedication to providing excellent customer service.
Upon arrival at Makini Airport, travelers can seek assistance from the friendly airport personnel who are readily available to answer any queries or offer guidance. The staff is well-trained and familiar with the local area, making them a valuable resource for travelers in need of information about transportation, accommodation, or popular tourist destinations. They can help you find reliable transportation options, including taxis or rental cars, to reach your desired destination comfortably.
Additionally, Makini Airport has a range of amenities and facilities designed to enhance the travel experience. There are currency exchange counters, ATMs, and banking services available to cater to the financial needs of travelers. The airport also houses duty-free shops, souvenir stores, and convenience stores, offering a variety of products for those in search of last-minute gifts or essentials.
In case of any medical emergencies or health concerns, Makini Airport has a medical center equipped with trained professionals who can provide immediate assistance. The airport’s medical staff is well-prepared to handle common travel-related health issues and can offer advice or treatment if required.
Overall, Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea prioritizes the comfort and convenience of travelers. With their friendly and knowledgeable staff, a range of amenities, and a commitment to providing excellent customer service, Makini Airport ensures a positive travel experience for all visitors to this breathtaking country.
Shops and Restaurants
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of passengers traveling through the facility. Whether you are looking to grab a bite to eat or indulge in some retail therapy, Makini Airport has you covered.
For those in search of a quick meal or a refreshing beverage, the airport houses a variety of restaurants and cafes. From local delicacies to international cuisine, there is something to suit every palate. Whether you’re craving a hearty burger, a bowl of traditional Papua New Guinean soup, or a freshly brewed coffee, the airport’s dining options have you covered. The friendly and attentive staff ensure that you can relax and enjoy your meal in a comfortable and welcoming environment.
Additionally, Makini Airport boasts a selection of shops offering a wide range of products. Travelers can browse through duty-free outlets that offer an array of items such as liquor, tobacco, perfumes, and cosmetics at tax-free prices. If you’re in need of travel essentials, there are stores that sell convenience items, including snacks, reading materials, and personal care products. Fashion enthusiasts can explore clothing and accessory stores that offer trendy and stylish options to enhance their travel wardrobes.
Moreover, the airport understands the importance of providing services that cater to the needs of passengers. Thus, Makini Airport also offers facilities such as currency exchange desks, ATMs, and car rental services for the convenience of travelers.
Overall, Makini Airport is committed to ensuring that passengers have a pleasant and enjoyable experience during their time at the facility. The wide range of shops and restaurants provide a variety of choices, ensuring that every individual’s preferences are catered to. So whether you are looking for a quick snack, a last-minute purchase, or a gourmet meal, Makini Airport has everything you need to make your journey a comfortable and enjoyable one.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea offers prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of travelers seeking a moment of solace or religious observance. These spaces are strategically located within the airport premises to cater to the diverse spiritual needs of passengers. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas at Makini Airport:
1. Interfaith Prayer Room: The Interfaith Prayer Room at Makini Airport is a dedicated space that welcomes individuals of different faiths. It provides a serene environment for passengers to engage in personal prayer, meditation, or reflection. Located on the ground floor, near the airport’s main entrance, it is easily accessible to all travelers.
2. Christian Chapel: For Christian passengers, Makini Airport features a dedicated Christian Chapel. This worship area serves as a sanctuary for prayer, worship services, or quiet contemplation. Located on the mezzanine level, close to the departure gates, it offers a convenient spot for Christian travelers to connect with their faith.
3. Islamic Prayer Room: Makini Airport recognizes the importance of providing a designated space for Muslim travelers. The airport includes an Islamic Prayer Room, equipped with prayer rugs and ablution facilities. This prayer area caters to the specific needs of Muslim passengers, allowing them to fulfill their daily salah (prayer) requirements. It is conveniently situated on the first floor, near the international departure gates.
4. Buddhist Meditation Area: In recognition of the diverse spiritual practices, Makini Airport also offers a dedicated Buddhist Meditation Area. This serene space provides a tranquil setting for Buddhist travelers to engage in meditation, mindfulness, or other spiritual practices. Located near the transit area, it allows passengers to find inner peace amidst the bustling airport environment.
5. Hindu Prayer Corner: Makini Airport acknowledges the religious customs of Hindu travelers by providing a designated Hindu Prayer Corner. This area is designed to accommodate the specific prayer rituals and traditions of Hinduism. Situated near the domestic departure gates, it offers a convenient space for Hindu passengers to observe their religious practices.
It’s worth noting that Makini Airport’s prayer rooms and worship areas are open to all passengers, regardless of their religious or spiritual beliefs. These facilities aim to promote inclusivity and respect for diverse faiths, creating a welcoming and accommodating environment for all travelers.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers seeking to stay connected and productive during their journey.
For those who require reliable internet access, Makini Airport provides complimentary WiFi throughout the terminal. This high-speed connection allows passengers to easily browse the web, check emails, or stay connected with colleagues and loved ones. Whether you’re waiting for your flight or need to complete essential tasks, the airport’s WiFi ensures you can stay connected effortlessly.
Additionally, Makini Airport offers designated workspaces for individuals who need a quiet and comfortable environment to focus on their work. These dedicated areas are equipped with ergonomically designed seating and ample desk space, allowing travelers to work efficiently and comfortably. Whether you’re preparing for an important meeting or need to catch up on work, the airport’s workspace facilities provide a conducive environment for enhanced productivity.
Furthermore, Makini Airport understands the importance of staying connected and productive while on the move. To cater to the needs of business travelers, the airport also provides charging stations and power outlets conveniently located throughout the terminal. These amenities ensure that your electronic devices, such as laptops and smartphones, remain fully charged and operational, enabling you to work seamlessly without any interruptions.
In summary, Makini Airport in Papua New Guinea offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities, allowing travelers to stay connected and productive throughout their journey. With complimentary WiFi, designated workspaces, and readily available charging stations, the airport ensures that passengers can easily stay connected, complete tasks, and remain productive during their time at the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Makini Airport
1. Budget-friendly options:
– Backpacker Hostels: Makini Airport offers affordable backpacker hostels for budget-conscious travelers. These provide basic amenities including dormitory-style accommodation, communal kitchens, and shared bathrooms. Prices are quite reasonable, making them popular among backpackers and solo travelers.
2. Mid-range options:
– Guesthouses: An array of guesthouses can be found near Makini Airport. These establishments offer comfortable rooms with private or shared bathrooms. They often include amenities such as Wi-Fi, laundry facilities, and communal areas. Guesthouses are a good choice for travelers seeking more privacy and a slightly higher level of comfort without breaking the bank.
3. Upscale options:
– Resorts: For those seeking a more luxurious stay, there are several resorts in and around Makini Airport. These establishments offer high-quality accommodation, often with breathtaking views of the surrounding natural beauty. With spacious rooms or private bungalows, resorts provide top-notch amenities such as swimming pools, restaurants serving gourmet cuisine, spa facilities, and recreational activities. Rates at resorts tend to be higher, but they guarantee an unforgettable experience for those looking for a touch of elegance and relaxation.
– Lodges: Another upscale option at Makini Airport is the lodge accommodations. These lodges provide a combination of luxury and a closer connection with nature. Nestled in lush forests or verdant landscapes, they typically feature spacious and beautifully appointed rooms, private balconies or verandas, and exclusive access to outdoor activities. Lodges also often offer fine dining experiences, wellness facilities, and personalized services to cater to the discerning traveler.
Regardless of your budget or preferences, Makini Airport offers a range of accommodation options to suit your needs. From budget-friendly hostels to the lap of luxury at resorts or lodges, you can enjoy a comfortable stay while exploring the stunning landscapes and rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea.
1. Sepik River: Embark on a breathtaking river cruise along the Sepik River, where you can witness the rich cultural heritage of the indigenous people and explore their traditional lifestyles. Immerse yourself in their vibrant art, intricate carvings, and unique tribal customs.
2. Mount Wilhelm: For adventure enthusiasts, Mount Wilhelm offers an exciting opportunity to conquer the highest peak in Papua New Guinea. With stunning views of the surrounding mountains and lush valleys, this challenging hike rewards you with an unforgettable experience.
3. Madang: Located on the northeastern coast of Papua New Guinea, Madang is a picturesque town renowned for its stunning diving spots and pristine beaches. Explore the underwater world teeming with colorful coral reefs, diverse marine life, and even World War II wrecks.
4. Kokoda Track: Engage in a historic pilgrimage as you navigate the famous Kokoda Track. This challenging trek retraces the footsteps of the Australian and Papua New Guinean soldiers who fought in World War II. Gain a deep understanding of the region’s history and pay respects to the fallen heroes.
5. Tufi: Venture to the remote and untouched village of Tufi, situated in the Oro Province. Surrounded by majestic fjords and lush rainforests, it offers a unique opportunity to witness the incredible biodiversity of Papua New Guinea, along with diving, snorkeling, and cultural experiences.
6. Rabaul: Uncover the fascinating past of Rabaul, known for its volcanic landscapes and wartime history. Explore the underground tunnels, visit the Japanese war memorials, and soak in the hot springs while taking in panoramic views of the volcanic landscapes.
7. Trobriand Islands: The Trobriand Islands, also known as the “Islands of Love,” are renowned for their unique cultural traditions and vibrant festivals. Immerse yourself in their local customs, engaging in traditional dances, witnessing the creation of intricate clay pottery, and learning about their beliefs and way of life.
8. Karawari River: Embark on a journey to the remote Karawari Region, where you can cruise along the tranquil Karawari River. Discover the hidden tribal villages nestled along the riverbanks, witness their age-old customs, and get a glimpse into their vibrant artistic traditions.
9. Lake Kutubu: Located in the Southern Highlands Province, Lake Kutubu is a stunning natural gem. Explore the tranquil lake by boat, discover pristine waterfalls, and witness the unique flora and fauna found in this untouched wilderness.
10. Alotau: Alotau is the capital of Milne Bay Province and offers an ideal mix of natural beauty and cultural experiences. Discover beautiful beaches, encounter exotic wildlife, visit traditional villages, and learn about the fascinating history of the area through museums and war memorials.
Note: Please check the current travel advisories and restrictions before planning your visit to ensure the safety of yourself and others.
History of Makini Airport
Makini Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, holds a rich history that reflects the country’s development and connectivity. Established in the early 1970s, Makini Airport aimed to improve air transportation within the Eastern Highlands region of Papua New Guinea. It was constructed to accommodate small aircraft and provide essential air services to remote communities, connecting them to the capital city of Port Moresby and beyond.
Over the years, Makini Airport has played a vital role in supporting the socio-economic development of surrounding rural areas. It has facilitated the transportation of goods, medical supplies, and emergency services to isolated communities, effectively bridging the geographical gaps that hinder access to essential resources. Furthermore, the airport has facilitated the growth of tourism in the Eastern Highlands, attracting domestic and international visitors interested in exploring the region’s stunning landscapes, cultural heritage, and vibrant local markets.
Significant developments have been made at Makini Airport over time to improve its infrastructure and ensure compliance with international safety standards. Upgrades include lengthening the runway, constructing a new terminal building, and increasing the airport’s capacity to handle higher volumes of passenger traffic. These enhancements have not only facilitated smoother air travel but have also contributed to the growth of local businesses and fostered regional economic opportunities.
Today, Makini Airport stands as a symbol of progress, connecting people, cultures, and opportunities in Papua New Guinea. Its rich history and ongoing developments highlight the country’s commitment to improving accessibility and connectivity, supporting socio-economic growth, and fostering regional integration.
Other Airports in Morobe, Papua New Guinea
- Aro Airstrip
- Aseki Airport
- Baindoung Airport
- Bapi Airstrip
- Bawan Airport
- Biaru Airport
- Boikoa Airstrip
- Bulolo Airport
- Bunguwat Airstrip
- Bunsil Airport
- Derim Airport
- Dinangat Airport
- Engati Airstrip
- Finschhafen Airport
- Garaina Airport
- Garasa Airport
- Gusap Airport
- Heiweni Airport
- Imane Airport
- Indagen Airport
- Isan Airstrip
- Kasonombe Airport
- Konge Airport
- Lab Lab Airport
- Langimar Airport
- Lengbati Airport
- Leron Plains Airport
- Lowai Airport
- Makini Airport
- Maralina Airstrip
- Masa Airport
- Menyamya Airport
- Mindik Airport
- Morobe Airport
- Nadzab Airport
- Ogeranang Airport
- Omora Airport
- Pindiu Airport
- Samanzing Airstrip
- Sapmanga Airport
- Satwag Airport
- Sialum Airport
- Siassi Airport
- Sim Airport
- Siwea Airport
- Tapen Airstrip
- Tawa Airport
- Tekadu Airport
- Tobou Airstrip
- Tsewi Airport
- Tsile Tsile Airport
- Umba Airport
- Wantoat Airport
- Wasu Airport
- Wau Airport
- Yalumet Airport
- Yasuru Airport
- Yawan Airstrip
- Yegepa Airport
- Yeva Airport
- Zenag Airport
- Zuebak Airstrip