Mandalay International Airport is the second largest airport in Myanmar, located in the city of Mandalay. It serves as a gateway to the northern region of the country and offers both domestic and international flights. The airport has modern facilities and amenities, making it a comfortable and convenient travel hub for passengers.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Mandalay International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Mandalay International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Mandalay International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Mandalay International Airport
- Other Airports in Mandalay Division, Burma
How to Get to Mandalay International Airport
Mandalay International Airport is located approximately 35 kilometers south of Mandalay city center. The easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi or private car. Taxis can be found throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked through a hotel or taxi company. The journey to the airport takes around 45 minutes to an hour, depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a shuttle bus from the city center. Several shuttle bus companies operate services to the airport, with departures from various locations in the city. The journey takes around an hour and tickets can be purchased at the bus station or online.
For those on a budget, public buses also run to the airport from the city center. However, these can be crowded and uncomfortable, and may not be the best option for those with a lot of luggage.
Overall, getting to Mandalay International Airport is relatively straightforward, with several transport options available. Taxis and private cars are the most convenient, while shuttle buses and public buses offer cheaper alternatives.
Mandalay International Airport is the main airport serving the city of Mandalay in Myanmar. It is located approximately 45 kilometers south of the city center. There are several transportation options available for travelers to get to and from the airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal. They are a convenient and affordable option for travelers. The fare from the airport to the city center is around 15,000-20,000 kyats (approximately $10-$15 USD).
2. Airport Shuttle Bus: The airport shuttle bus is a comfortable and affordable option for travelers. It operates from the airport to the city center and several other destinations. The fare is around 5,000 kyats (approximately $3 USD).
3. Private Car: Private car services are available for travelers who prefer a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services can be booked in advance and offer door-to-door service. The fare varies depending on the distance and type of vehicle.
4. Public Bus: Public buses are available for travelers who are on a budget. They are the cheapest option but can be crowded and uncomfortable. The fare is around 1,000 kyats (approximately $0.70 USD).
5. Motorbike Taxi: Motorbike taxis are a popular mode of transportation in Myanmar. They are a convenient option for travelers who are traveling light. The fare is negotiable and varies depending on the distance.
Overall, travelers have several transportation options to choose from when traveling to and from Mandalay International Airport. It is recommended to choose the option that best suits your budget and travel needs.
Mandalay International Airport offers several car parking options for passengers and visitors. Here are the different car parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located in front of the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for a few hours. The first 30 minutes of parking are free, and the rates increase for every hour thereafter.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for several days. The rates are more affordable than short-term parking, and there are shuttle buses available to transport passengers to and from the terminal.
3. Premium parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and is ideal for those who want the most convenient parking option. The rates are higher than other parking areas, but the convenience is worth it for some passengers.
4. Valet parking: This parking option is available for those who want the ultimate convenience. A valet will park your car for you, and it will be waiting for you when you return. The valet parking area is located in front of the terminal building.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport offers a variety of car parking options to suit the needs of all passengers and visitors.
Car Rental at Mandalay International Airport
Mandalay International Airport is the second-largest airport in Myanmar and serves as a gateway to the northern region of the country. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are located adjacent to each other. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights, while Terminal 2 is used exclusively for domestic flights.
Terminal 1 is a modern and spacious terminal that offers a range of facilities and services for passengers. The terminal has a total of 16 check-in counters, 6 immigration counters, and 4 security screening points. There are also several duty-free shops, restaurants, and cafes located throughout the terminal, as well as a VIP lounge for premium passengers.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is primarily used by domestic airlines. The terminal has 4 check-in counters, 2 security screening points, and a small waiting area for passengers. While Terminal 2 may not offer as many facilities as Terminal 1, it is still a convenient and efficient option for domestic travelers.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport’s terminals are well-equipped to handle the needs of both domestic and international passengers. With modern facilities, a range of dining and shopping options, and efficient check-in and security procedures, the airport provides a comfortable and hassle-free travel experience.
2. Bangkok Airways
3. China Eastern Airlines
4. Golden Myanmar Airlines
5. Myanmar Airways International
6. Myanmar National Airlines
7. Thai Airways
8. VietJet Air
9. Korean Air
11. Malaysia Airlines
12. Jetstar Asia Airways
13. Air KBZ
14. Mann Yadanarpon Airlines
15. Myanmar Airways
16. Myanmar National Airlines Domestic
17. Myanmar National Airlines Express
18. Myanmar National Airlines International
19. Myanmar National Airlines Charter
20. Myanmar National Airlines Cargo.
Mandalay International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Myanmar, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure the safety and security of all passengers, the airport has implemented strict security protocols.
All passengers are required to go through a security screening process before entering the airport terminal. This includes a baggage screening process, metal detector scanning, and body pat-downs. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets before going through the security checkpoint.
The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport premises 24/7. They are equipped with advanced security equipment such as CCTV cameras, X-ray machines, and explosive detection devices. The security team is responsible for identifying and responding to any security threats that may arise.
In addition to these measures, the airport also has a strict policy on prohibited items. Passengers are not allowed to carry any weapons, explosives, or flammable materials on board. Any items that are deemed a security risk will be confiscated by the security personnel.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. Passengers are advised to arrive at the airport early to allow enough time for the security screening process.
Mandalay International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for all passengers. The airport’s customer service team is available 24/7 to assist travelers with any queries or concerns they may have. They can provide information on flight schedules, baggage allowances, immigration procedures, and other airport-related services.
For passengers with special needs, Mandalay International Airport offers wheelchair assistance, priority boarding, and other services to ensure their comfort and safety. The airport also has a medical center with trained staff to provide emergency medical assistance if required.
In addition, the airport has a range of facilities to cater to the needs of travelers, including lounges, restaurants, and duty-free shops. The airport’s free Wi-Fi service allows passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work while waiting for their flights.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide a seamless and stress-free travel experience for all passengers. The airport’s friendly and efficient staff are always ready to assist travelers with any needs they may have, making it a top choice for travelers visiting Myanmar.
Shops and Restaurants
Mandalay International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shops: Passengers can shop for a range of products including cosmetics, perfumes, chocolates, and liquor at the duty-free shops located in the airport.
2. Souvenir Shops: There are several souvenir shops at the airport where travelers can purchase traditional Burmese handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
3. Convenience Stores: For those who need to grab a quick snack or drink, there are several convenience stores located throughout the airport.
4. Coffee Shops: Coffee lovers can enjoy a cup of freshly brewed coffee at one of the airport’s coffee shops, such as Coffee Bean & Tea Leaf or Starbucks.
5. Restaurants: There are several restaurants at Mandalay International Airport offering a range of cuisines, including Chinese, Thai, and Burmese. Some of the popular options include Golden Duck, KFC, and Pizza Hut.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport provides a variety of shopping and dining options for travelers to enjoy before their flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Mandalay International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of its passengers. These areas are located in various parts of the airport and are easily accessible to all travelers. Here are the details of the prayer rooms and worship areas at Mandalay International Airport:
1. Muslim Prayer Room: The Muslim prayer room is located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with prayer mats, a Qibla direction indicator, and ablution facilities.
2. Buddhist Prayer Room: The Buddhist prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with a Buddha statue, prayer mats, and seating arrangements.
3. Christian Prayer Room: The Christian prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with a cross, prayer mats, and seating arrangements.
4. Hindu Prayer Room: The Hindu prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. It is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with a statue of Lord Ganesha, prayer mats, and seating arrangements.
All prayer rooms and worship areas at Mandalay International Airport are maintained and cleaned regularly to ensure a peaceful and hygienic environment for all passengers. Travelers of all faiths are welcome to use these facilities and are encouraged to respect the religious beliefs of others while using them.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Mandalay International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
Workspace: For passengers who need to work or study, the airport offers a number of comfortable workspaces equipped with power outlets and USB ports. These workspaces are located in various areas of the terminal building, including the departure lounge and the transit area. Passengers can use these spaces to catch up on work, charge their devices, or simply relax in a quiet environment.
Business Lounge: The airport also has a business lounge that provides a range of amenities for business travelers. The lounge features comfortable seating, high-speed WiFi, and a selection of refreshments. Passengers can use the lounge to work, hold meetings, or simply unwind before their flight.
Overall, Mandalay International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities that cater to the needs of all passengers, whether they are traveling for business or leisure. These facilities ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive while waiting for their flights.
Mandalay International Airport offers a range of lounges to make your journey more comfortable and enjoyable. Here are the lounges available at Mandalay International Airport:
- Yoma Lounge – located in the international departures hall
- Myanmar Airways International Royal Orchid Lounge – located in the domestic departures hall
- Mandalay Airport Lounge – located in the international departures hall
Accomodation Options Nearby Mandalay International Airport
Mandalay International Airport, serving as a gateway to the enchanting city of Mandalay in Myanmar, offers a wide range of accommodation options catering to various budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget traveler or seeking a luxurious stay, the airport area has got you covered. Here are some accommodation options to consider:
– Budget: Mandalay International Hotel – A no-frills hotel offering comfortable rooms at affordable rates, perfect for those seeking simplicity and value for money.
– Mid-range: Golden Mandalay Hotel – With well-appointed rooms and modern amenities, this hotel strikes a balance between affordability and comfort.
– Luxury: Sedona Hotel Mandalay – Known for its opulence, this premium hotel provides lavish rooms, excellent service, multiple dining options, and recreational facilities.
– Budget: Diamond Guest House – A cozy guesthouse with basic amenities, ideal for travelers looking for a simple and wallet-friendly place to stay.
– Mid-range: Moonlight Guesthouse – Offering comfortable rooms and friendly service, this guesthouse ensures a pleasant stay without breaking the bank.
– Luxury: Saung May Guest House – Combining traditional Burmese hospitality with modern comforts, this guesthouse offers an upscale experience with tastefully decorated rooms and personalized service.
– Budget: Ostello Bello Mandalay – A vibrant hostel providing affordable dormitory rooms and private options, along with a social atmosphere and organized activities suitable for budget-conscious travelers.
– Mid-range: The Flinstone Hostel – Offering a mix of dormitory and private rooms, this hostel provides a comfortable stay with communal spaces and a lively ambiance.
– Luxury: Yoe Yoe Lay Guest House – A boutique hostel providing stylish private rooms and shared spaces designed with a touch of elegance, perfect for those seeking a luxury hostel experience.
4. Airport Transit Hotel:
– A convenient option for travelers who require a short stay. Mandalay International Airport Transit Hotel provides comfortable rooms with essential amenities within the airport premises, ensuring a hassle-free experience if you have early morning or late-night flights.
With such a diverse range of accommodation options, Mandalay International Airport caters to travelers of all budgets and preferences. Whether you are seeking a pocket-friendly stay or indulging in luxury, you can find a suitable option near the airport, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable experience throughout your visit to Mandalay.
1. Mandalay Hill: Located just a short drive from Mandalay International Airport, Mandalay Hill is a famous attraction offering breathtaking panoramic views of the city. It is a popular pilgrimage site for locals and a must-visit spot for visitors.
2. Shwenandaw Monastery: Known for its exquisite teak carvings, Shwenandaw Monastery is a historic Buddhist temple that showcases the finest example of traditional Burmese architecture. It is an architectural gem that was originally part of the Mandalay Palace.
3. Kuthodaw Pagoda: Often referred to as the “World’s Biggest Book,” Kuthodaw Pagoda consists of 729 marble slabs containing the entire Buddhist scriptures. The pagoda’s immaculately kept grounds create a serene environment perfect for meditation and relaxation.
4. Mahamuni Buddha Temple: This temple houses the revered Mahamuni Buddha statue, one of the most sacred religious icons in Myanmar. Visitors can witness devotees offering gold leaf to the statue, creating a unique and mesmerizing experience.
5. U Bein Bridge: As the world’s longest teakwood bridge, U Bein Bridge is a popular attraction for nature enthusiasts and photographers. It spans across Taungthaman Lake and offers picturesque views of the surrounding countryside.
6. Amarapura: Just a short distance from Mandalay International Airport, Amarapura is a former capital of Myanmar and home to several significant landmarks. Visitors can explore the iconic silk-weaving industry and witness the breathtaking sunset at the famous U Bein Bridge.
7. Mingun: Located on the banks of the Irrawaddy River, Mingun is known for its unfinished Mingun Pahtodawgyi, a massive brick pagoda that would have been the world’s largest if completed. The Mingun Bell, the world’s second-largest ringing bell, is also a major highlight.
8. Sagaing Hill: About 20 kilometers from the airport, Sagaing Hill is a religious and meditation center teeming with numerous pagodas, monasteries, and nunneries. The hill offers magnificent views of the surrounding area and provides a tranquil setting for spiritual exploration.
9. Inwa (Ava): A historical city located near Mandalay, accessible by a short boat ride, Inwa (Ava) boasts ancient temples, monasteries, and ruins. It is a glimpse into Myanmar’s regal past and offers horse-drawn carriage tours to explore its fascinating sites.
10. Mandalay Royal Palace: For history and architecture buffs, the Mandalay Royal Palace stands as a testament to the grandeur of the last Burmese monarchy. Though heavily bombed during World War II, several sections have been restored and offer a glimpse into royal life.
All these attractions near Mandalay International Airport offer a vivid travel experience, whether you have a long layover or are staying for a longer visit.
History of Mandalay International Airport
Mandalay International Airport is the second-largest airport in Myanmar, located in the city of Mandalay. The airport was first opened in 1999, with the aim of boosting tourism and economic development in the region. The airport was initially built with a capacity of 3 million passengers per year, but due to the increasing demand for air travel, it was expanded in 2011 to accommodate up to 6 million passengers annually.
The airport has played a significant role in the development of Mandalay and the surrounding areas. It has helped to increase tourism in the region, as well as facilitate trade and commerce. The airport has also been instrumental in connecting Mandalay to other parts of Myanmar and the world, making it easier for people to travel to and from the city.
Over the years, Mandalay International Airport has undergone several upgrades and renovations to improve its facilities and services. In 2018, a new terminal building was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity and improved the passenger experience. The airport has also implemented various safety and security measures to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
Today, Mandalay International Airport is a modern and efficient airport that serves as a gateway to the cultural and historical treasures of Mandalay and the surrounding areas. It continues to play a vital role in the economic development of the region, and its importance is only expected to grow in the coming years.
Other Airports in Mandalay Division, Burma