Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital transportation hub connecting the region’s remote communities with the rest of the country. With its strategic location and essential facilities, the airport plays a significant role in facilitating travel and promoting economic development in this part of Papua New Guinea.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Mapua Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Mapua Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Mapua Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Mapua Airport
- Other Airports in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Mapua Airport
Mapua Airport is located in Papua New Guinea and serves as a domestic airport, providing connections to various destinations within the country. To reach Mapua Airport, there are a few transportation options available.
By Air: You can book a domestic flight that directly lands at Mapua Airport. Several airlines operate regular flights to this airport, offering convenience and a shorter travel time.
By Road: If you are traveling from nearby areas, you can reach Mapua Airport via road. The airport is approximately 18 kilometers away from the city center, and there are several public buses, taxis, and car rental services available for transportation. It is recommended to plan your journey in advance and arrange for reliable transportation to ensure a smooth trip.
By Accommodation Shuttle: Some hotels and guesthouses near Mapua Airport offer shuttle services for their guests. If you are staying at one of these accommodations, it is advisable to inquire about shuttle availability and schedule prior to your arrival.
Remember to check flight schedules, make necessary arrangements, and allow ample time to reach Mapua Airport, considering traffic conditions and other potential delays.
Mapua Airport is a small airport located in Papua New Guinea. As it serves a remote area, transportation options to and from the airport are limited but nonetheless reliable. While there are no public transportation services directly connecting to the airport, travelers have a few alternatives to choose from:
1. Taxis: The most common and convenient mode of transportation from Mapua Airport is hiring a taxi. Taxis are readily available at the airport and provide a hassle-free transfer to your desired destination. It is recommended to negotiate the fare with the driver before starting your journey.
2. Private Transfer: Another option to consider is arranging a private transfer in advance. Various local companies offer private vehicle services, allowing you to pre-book a car or a minivan with a professional driver. This option provides a more personalized and comfortable experience if you prefer a dedicated service.
3. Car Rental: If you plan to have independent transportation during your stay in Papua New Guinea, renting a car can be an excellent choice. A few car rental agencies operate in the vicinity of Mapua Airport, providing a range of vehicles to suit different needs and budgets. It is advisable to book in advance to secure a suitable vehicle.
4. Hotel Shuttle Service: Many hotels near Mapua Airport offer complimentary shuttle services for their guests. It is recommended to check with your accommodation provider whether they provide this service. This option could be a cost-effective and convenient way to reach your hotel without any hassle.
5. Local Buses: Though not directly available at Mapua Airport, local buses can be found at nearby towns or settlements. If you are comfortable with navigating public transportation and have some time to spare, this could be an economical option to explore. However, schedules may be irregular, and the duration of the journey may be longer compared to taxis or private transfers.
It is important to note that transportation services in the area might be impacted by weather conditions or other unforeseen circumstances. Therefore, it is always advisable to check and confirm availability before your trip.
There are several car parking options available at Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea. These parking areas are conveniently located near the airport terminals, providing easy access for travelers. Here are the various car parking options at Mapua Airport:
1. Short-Term Parking: Located directly in front of the airport terminal, the short-term parking area offers a convenient solution for passengers who require parking for a few hours or a day. This option is ideal for dropping off or picking up passengers and allows for quick and easy access to the terminal.
2. Long-Term Parking: If you need to leave your vehicle at Mapua Airport for an extended period, the long-term parking facility is the perfect choice. This parking lot is situated within a short walking distance from the terminal, providing secure and well-maintained parking spaces for travelers who are away for a few days or more.
3. Covered Parking: For added protection against the elements, the covered parking area at Mapua Airport is an excellent option. Located near the terminal, this parking facility offers sheltered spaces to keep your vehicle safe from weather conditions such as rain or intense heat. It is a popular choice for those seeking extra peace of mind while traveling.
4. Disabled Parking: Mapua Airport also provides designated parking spaces for passengers with disabilities. These parking spots are conveniently located near the terminal entrance, ensuring easy accessibility for travelers who require additional support or assistance.
When arriving at Mapua Airport, clear signage will guide you to each parking area, ensuring a hassle-free experience. It’s recommended to arrive early to secure a parking spot, especially during peak travel periods. Remember to lock your vehicle and keep your valuables secure before leaving it unattended.
The car parking facilities at Mapua Airport cater to the diverse needs of passengers, offering convenience, security, and proximity to the terminal. Whether you’re traveling for business or pleasure, these parking options provide a reliable solution for your vehicle while you enjoy your journey.
Car Rental at Mapua Airport
Mapua Airport is located in Papua New Guinea and serves as an important transportation hub for the region. The airport is relatively small in size but provides essential services for both domestic and international travelers. It is situated near the town of Mapua in the Western Province of the country, which is known for its picturesque landscapes and rich cultural heritage.
The airport features a single terminal building that caters to the needs of passengers. Although compact, the terminal is designed to ensure efficient and convenient travel experiences. It offers a range of amenities, including check-in counters, baggage claim areas, and waiting lounges for departing and arriving passengers. The terminal is well-maintained and provides a clean and comfortable environment for travelers.
Mapua Airport primarily serves as a gateway for domestic flights within Papua New Guinea. Various local airlines operate regular flights connecting Mapua Airport to major destinations across the country. Additionally, it serves as a hub for charter flights, giving tourists and business travelers access to remote parts of Papua New Guinea.
With respect to international flights, Mapua Airport has limited connectivity. However, it does cater to charter flights from neighboring countries for tourism, mining, and other purposes. Passengers arriving from or departing to international destinations can expect simple immigration and customs processes at the airport.
In conclusion, Mapua Airport serves as an important transportation hub in Papua New Guinea. Its single terminal building provides essential services and amenities for both domestic and international travelers. While primarily focused on domestic flights, the airport also caters to charter flights for international destinations.
As of my knowledge update in July 2021, the operating airlines at Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea are:
1. Air Niugini – The national airline of Papua New Guinea operates flights to various domestic destinations, including Mapua Airport.
2. PNG Air – A domestic airline of Papua New Guinea that offers flights to different parts of the country, including Mapua Airport.
Please note that this information is subject to change, and it is always recommended to check with the relevant airline or airport authorities for the most up-to-date and accurate information before making any travel plans.
Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, takes security protocols seriously to ensure the safety of passengers, crew, and airport premises. The airport authorities have implemented a range of security measures that comply with international aviation standards. These protocols are designed to enhance airport security, deter potential threats, and provide a safe environment for everyone.
Access control is a fundamental security protocol at Mapua Airport. It restricts entry to authorized individuals only, including passengers, employees, and other airport personnel. Access is granted through the thorough verification of identification documents, such as passports or airport-issued identification cards. Baggage screening is also an essential measure to prevent the transportation of prohibited items or dangerous substances onto aircraft. Passengers’ bags are screened using X-ray scanners to detect unauthorized or potentially hazardous items.
Additionally, a robust surveillance system is in place to monitor activities within the airport premises. Closed-circuit television (CCTV) cameras are strategically installed to cover critical areas, such as entrances, check-in counters, baggage handling areas, and boarding gates. These cameras enable real-time monitoring and recording, enhancing the ability to identify and respond to any security incidents promptly.
Mapua Airport also has a strong partnership with local law enforcement agencies and aviation security units. This collaboration ensures the coordination of security procedures and timely response to any potentially threatening situations. These security personnel undergo regular training to stay updated on the latest security protocols and techniques while maintaining a vigilant presence throughout the airport.
In conclusion, Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea prioritizes security protocols to maintain a safe and secure environment for passengers, staff, and airport infrastructure. Through access control, baggage screening, surveillance systems, and collaboration with law enforcement, the airport aims to mitigate risks and uphold international aviation security standards. These measures provide reassurance to passengers and enable the smooth operation of flights to and from Mapua Airport.
Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a vital gateway for travelers visiting this diverse and culturally rich country. This small airport, nestled amidst the stunning landscapes of the Mapua region, offers various traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free journey for visitors.
Upon arrival at Mapua Airport, travelers can expect a range of helpful services to facilitate their travel experience. The airport provides efficient immigration and customs procedures, ensuring a seamless entry into Papua New Guinea. Friendly airport staff are readily available to assist with any queries or concerns, offering guidance on local customs, transportation options, and popular tourist attractions.
Mapua Airport also offers convenient transportation connections, allowing travelers to easily reach their desired destinations within Papua New Guinea. Taxis and car rental services are readily available, enabling visitors to explore the country’s scenic wonders at their own pace. Additionally, the airport serves as a hub for domestic flights, offering connections to various destinations within Papua New Guinea, allowing travelers to continue their journey effortlessly.
For those seeking further assistance, Mapua Airport provides an information desk, where knowledgeable staff can provide valuable advice on accommodation options, local tours, and activities. Whether travelers are looking to indulge in adventurous hikes, immerse themselves in cultural experiences, or simply relax on pristine beaches, the airport’s assistance services ensure visitors make the most of their time in Papua New Guinea.
In summary, Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea offers comprehensive traveler’s assistance services, ensuring a smooth and enjoyable journey for visitors. From efficient immigration procedures to transportation connections and helpful information desks, the airport strives to accommodate the needs of travelers. With its stunning surroundings and convenient facilities, Mapua Airport serves as an excellent starting point for exploring the captivating wonders of Papua New Guinea.
Shops and Restaurants
When visiting Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea, travelers can find a handful of convenient shops and restaurants to cater to their needs and provide a pleasant experience. Despite its small size, the airport strives to meet the necessities of its passengers. Here are the available options:
1. Gift Shops: Mapua Airport features several gift shops where visitors can browse through a selection of local handicrafts, souvenirs, and traditional artifacts. These shops offer an opportunity to take a piece of Papua New Guinea’s rich cultural heritage back home.
2. Convenience Stores: Travelers can find well-stocked convenience stores at the airport, providing a range of essential items such as snacks, beverages, personal care products, and basic travel necessities. These stores cater to those in need of last-minute purchases or forgotten items.
3. Duty-Free Shops: Mapua Airport boasts duty-free shops, allowing international passengers to indulge in a tax-free shopping experience. These shops offer an array of products including liquor, tobacco, cosmetics, fragrances, and electronics, providing an opportunity to save on these items.
4. Cafés and Restaurants: Hungry passengers can choose from a variety of cafés and restaurants at Mapua Airport. These establishments serve a range of cuisines, including local dishes and international favorites. Travelers can enjoy a quick snack or a full meal while waiting for their flights.
5. Coffee Shops: For coffee enthusiasts, there are also coffee shops available at the airport. These cozy spots offer a selection of freshly brewed coffees, teas, and other hot beverages, perfect for a quick pick-me-up or a leisurely break.
While the options at Mapua Airport may be limited compared to larger international airports, the available shops and restaurants ensure that travelers can find what they need during their visit. Whether it’s shopping for souvenirs, grabbing a bite to eat, or simply enjoying a cup of coffee, the airport strives to provide a comfortable and convenient experience for its passengers.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Mapua Airport in Papua New Guinea does not have dedicated prayer rooms or worship areas on its premises. As a small regional airport, its facilities are limited to essential services required for air travel. However, passengers and visitors are welcome to find a quiet and peaceful spot within the terminal building or the surrounding areas to engage in personal prayer or worship.
For those seeking a place for prayer, the airport’s main terminal building offers seating areas where individuals can find solitude and reflect on their spiritual needs. Additionally, the airport is located in close proximity to several local villages and communities, where religious institutions such as churches and mosques can be found.
Travelers who wish to attend religious services or require a dedicated worship area are advised to explore the nearby villages where they can find various places of worship. Local residents are known for their warm hospitality and may be able to guide visitors to the nearest church, mosque, or other religious centers.
It is important to note that due to the limited facilities available at Mapua Airport, visitors may need to plan their prayer or worship time accordingly and consider the surrounding areas for their spiritual needs.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small regional airport that serves as a gateway to the beautiful province of Oro. While it may not boast extensive amenities, it does offer some basic facilities for travelers looking to stay connected and get some work done during their time at the airport.
WiFi: Mapua Airport provides complimentary WiFi access throughout its premises, allowing passengers to stay connected to the online world. Whether you need to check your emails, browse the web, or simply stay in touch with loved ones, the airport’s WiFi ensures that you can do so without any hassle. However, it is important to note that due to the airport’s remote location, the connectivity might not be as fast or reliable as what you may be accustomed to in larger urban areas.
Workspace Facilities: Although Mapua Airport is relatively small, it does offer a few options for those seeking a quiet space to work or catch up on tasks. The airport features a designated seating area where passengers can find comfortable chairs and tables to set up their laptops or notebooks. This area provides a peaceful environment, allowing you to focus on your work or enjoy some quiet time while waiting for your flight.
Additionally, if you prefer a more private workspace, some airlines may offer exclusive lounges with additional amenities such as power outlets and workstations. These lounges are typically accessible to passengers traveling in business or first class, or those holding specific membership statuses. It is advisable to check with your airline beforehand to determine if such facilities are available and if you are eligible to access them.
Overall, while Mapua Airport may not offer extensive WiFi and workspace facilities, it does provide the basic necessities to ensure that you can stay connected and be productive during your time at the airport.
Accomodation Options Nearby Mapua Airport
Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. From budget-friendly options to luxurious resorts, visitors can find suitable places to stay near the airport. Here are some accommodation options:
1. Budget-friendly Lodging:
– Guesthouses: Several guesthouses in the vicinity of Mapua Airport offer affordable accommodation options with basic amenities. These establishments are ideal for travelers looking for comfortable yet economical stays.
2. Mid-range Hotels:
– Bed and Breakfasts: Mapua Airport also offers cozy bed and breakfast accommodations, which provide comfortable rooms along with a delicious breakfast. These options are suitable for travelers looking for a more personalized experience.
– Motels: There are a few convenient motel options that offer reasonably priced rooms with essential facilities such as Wi-Fi and parking. These accommodations are ideal for travelers seeking a comfortable stay at an affordable price.
3. Upscale Hotels:
– Resorts: For those seeking a luxurious stay, there are resorts near Mapua Airport that provide upscale facilities including spacious rooms, well-manicured gardens, swimming pools, restaurants, and spa services. These resorts offer a serene and lavish environment for relaxation.
– Boutique Hotels: A few boutique hotels near Mapua Airport offer a combination of personalized service and upscale amenities. These establishments provide unique accommodations, often reflecting the local culture and providing a more intimate experience for guests.
4. Exclusive Retreats:
– Eco-lodges: Nature enthusiasts can find eco-lodges near Mapua Airport that offer a perfect blend of luxury and sustainability. These accommodations provide an immersive natural experience while ensuring the utmost comfort for guests.
– Private Villas: Some exclusive properties feature private villas with stunning views, private pools, and personalized services. These retreats cater to travelers seeking utmost privacy and luxury.
It is advised to book accommodations in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure the desired option near Mapua Airport, Papua New Guinea.
1. Varirata National Park: Located just 30 minutes from Mapua Airport, this expansive national park offers stunning views of Port Moresby and its surroundings. Visitors can enjoy walking trails, bird-watching opportunities, and even spot some unique flora and fauna.
2. Bomana War Cemetery: Just a short distance from the airport, this cemetery holds the remains of soldiers who lost their lives during World War II. It serves as a solemn reminder of the sacrifices made during that era.
3. Port Moresby Nature Park: Situated approximately 25 minutes away, this family-friendly attraction is home to numerous wildlife species, including indigenous birds, marsupials, and reptiles. Visitors can enjoy interactive animal encounters and educational exhibits.
4. Parliament House: Located in Waigani, a 40-minute drive from Mapua Airport, this grand building is the center of political activity in Papua New Guinea. Guided tours are available, providing insight into the country’s governance.
5. Adventure Park PNG: Offering exciting activities like ziplining, paintball, and rock climbing, this adventure park is nestled just 15 minutes away. Perfect for thrill-seekers and outdoor enthusiasts, it provides an adrenaline-filled day out.
6. National Museum and Art Gallery: Found in Waigani, this cultural institution showcases the rich history, art, and artifacts of Papua New Guinea. Visitors can explore exhibits that highlight the diverse cultures and traditions of the country.
7. Port Moresby Golf Club: Golf enthusiasts can enjoy a round of golf at this well-maintained course, only a short drive from the airport. With picturesque views and challenging holes, it offers a relaxing and enjoyable experience.
8. Lloyd Robson Oval: Sports fans can catch a game of rugby league or cricket at this popular sporting venue, situated in Boroko, just a 20-minute drive away. The lively atmosphere and passionate crowd make for an entertaining experience.
9. Adventure Park Brewery: Beer aficionados can sample craft beers and enjoy a brewery tour at this popular establishment in Port Moresby. Located about 30 minutes from the airport, it offers a unique opportunity to taste local brews.
10. Jacksons International Airport Observation Deck: If you have time between flights, head to the observation deck at Jacksons International Airport. From there, you can catch a glimpse of planes taking off and landing, while enjoying panoramic views of the surrounding area.
Please note that attractions and their availability may vary, so it is always recommended to check the latest information and opening times before visiting.
History of Mapua Airport
Mapua Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has a rich history that dates back several decades. Originally constructed in the early 1950s, it served as a vital airfield for the region during World War II. The airport played a significant role in supporting military operations, acting as a strategic base for allied forces in the Pacific.
After the war, Mapua Airport continued to evolve and expand, becoming an essential hub for domestic and inter-island flights. The airport served as a vital link in connecting various remote and isolated parts of Papua New Guinea. Over the years, it has played a crucial role in facilitating transportation and trade within the region, contributing to the economic development of the country.
Today, Mapua Airport remains an important gateway for both passengers and cargo, primarily serving the local communities and nearby rural areas. With its well-maintained runways and modern facilities, the airport continues to support domestic flights, providing vital connections for residents and visitors traveling to and from Papua New Guinea’s beautiful and diverse landscapes.
Other Airports in New Ireland, Papua New Guinea
- Boang Airport
- Eloaua Airstrip
- Emirau Airport
- Kavieng Airport
- Londolovit Airport
- Malekolon Airport
- Manga Airport
- Mapua Airport
- Mussau Airport
- Namatanai Airport
- Puas Airport
- Silur Airport
- Simberi Airport