Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport serving Bamako, the capital city of Mali. It is named after Modibo Keita, the first president of Mali. The airport is located approximately 15 kilometers southeast of the city center and serves as a hub for several airlines, including Air Mali and Mali Airways.
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Modibo Keita International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Modibo Keita International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Modibo Keita International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Modibo Keita International Airport
- Other Airports in Koulikoro Region, Mali
How to Get to Modibo Keita International Airport
Modibo Keita International Airport is located in Bamako, the capital city of Mali. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to negotiate the fare beforehand to avoid any surprises. The average cost of a taxi ride from the city center to the airport is around 5,000 CFA francs (approximately $9 USD).
Alternatively, you can take a bus from the city center to the airport. The bus fare is much cheaper than a taxi, but the journey may take longer due to multiple stops along the way.
If you have a private car, you can drive to the airport and park in one of the designated parking areas. There are both short-term and long-term parking options available.
Overall, getting to Modibo Keita International Airport is relatively easy and straightforward. Whether you choose to take a taxi, bus, or drive yourself, be sure to plan ahead and allow enough time to arrive at the airport before your flight.
Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport serving Bamako, the capital city of Mali. It is located approximately 15 kilometers southeast of the city center. There are several transportation options available for travelers arriving at the airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal. They are a convenient and affordable option for travelers who want to get to their destination quickly. It is recommended to negotiate the fare before getting into the taxi.
2. Car rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, and Hertz. Renting a car is a good option for travelers who want to explore the city and its surroundings at their own pace.
3. Shuttle bus: Some hotels in Bamako offer shuttle bus services to and from the airport. This is a convenient option for travelers who have booked accommodation in advance.
4. Private transfer: Private transfer services are available at the airport. These services offer a comfortable and hassle-free way to get to your destination. They are particularly useful for travelers who have a lot of luggage or who are traveling in a group.
5. Public transport: Public transport options are limited in Bamako, and there is no direct bus or train service from the airport to the city center. However, travelers can take a shared taxi or minibus from the airport to the city center. These are cheap but can be crowded and uncomfortable.
In conclusion, travelers arriving at Modibo Keita International Airport have several transportation options to choose from. Taxis, car rentals, shuttle buses, private transfers, and public transport are all available. It is recommended to choose the option that best suits your needs and budget.
Modibo Keita International Airport in Bamako, Mali offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for travelers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are charged hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for travelers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are charged daily.
3. VIP parking: This parking area is reserved for VIPs and is located closest to the terminal building. The rates for VIP parking are charged at a premium rate.
4. Disabled parking: This parking area is reserved for travelers with disabilities and is located near the terminal building. The rates for disabled parking are the same as the regular parking rates.
5. Drop-off and pick-up area: This area is located directly in front of the terminal building and is designated for dropping off or picking up passengers. Drivers are not allowed to park in this area for an extended period of time.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport offers a variety of parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short or long period of time, there is a parking area available for you.
Car Rental at Modibo Keita International Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
- Avis Rent A Car
- Alamo Rent A Car
- Budget Rent A Car
- Hertz Rent A Car
- National Car Rental
- Sixt Rent A Car
- Thrifty Car Rental
- Dollar Rent A Car
Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport in Mali, located in the capital city of Bamako. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a capacity of 500,000 passengers per year and is equipped with modern facilities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is used exclusively for domestic flights. It has a capacity of 200,000 passengers per year and is equipped with basic facilities such as check-in counters and waiting areas. The terminal is currently undergoing renovations to improve its facilities and increase its capacity.
Both terminals are connected by a shuttle bus service that runs every 15 minutes. The airport also has a VIP lounge that is available to passengers who require special assistance or who have access to the lounge through their airline or credit card membership.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport’s terminals provide a comfortable and efficient travel experience for passengers. With modern facilities and ongoing renovations, the airport is well-equipped to handle the growing number of passengers traveling to and from Mali.
1. Air Algérie
2. Air Burkina
3. Air Côte d’Ivoire
4. ASKY Airlines
5. Ethiopian Airlines
6. Mauritania Airlines
7. Royal Air Maroc
8. Turkish Airlines
10. Air France (seasonal)
Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport in Mali, located in the capital city of Bamako. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the changing security landscape.
Passengers are required to go through a security screening process before entering the airport terminal. This includes a baggage screening process, metal detector screening, and body scanning. Any prohibited items such as weapons, explosives, and liquids over 100ml are not allowed in the airport and will be confiscated.
The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who patrol the airport premises to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The airport has installed CCTV cameras throughout the terminal and parking areas to monitor any suspicious activities. In addition, the airport has a dedicated emergency response team that is available 24/7 to respond to any security threats or emergencies.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport has implemented comprehensive security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The airport’s commitment to security has earned it a reputation as one of the safest airports in West Africa.
Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport in Mali, located in the capital city of Bamako. The airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs clearance.
Passengers with special needs can request wheelchair assistance at the airport. The airport staff will provide assistance from check-in to boarding and disembarking. The airport also has designated parking spaces for passengers with disabilities.
Baggage handling is another important service provided by the airport. Passengers can drop off their luggage at the check-in counter and the airport staff will ensure that it is safely transported to the aircraft. Upon arrival, passengers can collect their luggage at the baggage claim area.
Immigration and customs clearance is a crucial part of the travel process. The airport has dedicated immigration and customs officers who ensure that passengers comply with all necessary regulations. Passengers are advised to have all necessary travel documents ready for inspection.
In conclusion, Modibo Keita International Airport provides a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience for passengers. These services include wheelchair assistance, baggage handling, and immigration and customs clearance. Passengers are advised to take advantage of these services to make their travel experience as stress-free as possible.
Shops and Restaurants
Modibo Keita International Airport, located in Bamako, Mali, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shop – offers a wide range of products including perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco.
2. Souvenir Shop – sells traditional Malian handicrafts, clothing, and accessories.
3. Bookstore – offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers in various languages.
4. Convenience Store – provides snacks, drinks, and travel essentials such as toiletries and electronics.
1. Le Bistro – a French-style café that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, and pastries.
2. La Terrasse – a restaurant that serves traditional Malian cuisine such as grilled meat, rice dishes, and stews.
3. Pizza Hut – offers a selection of pizzas, sides, and drinks.
4. Starbucks – serves coffee, tea, and pastries.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport provides a range of shopping and dining options to cater to the needs of travelers passing through.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Modibo Keita International Airport in Bamako, Mali, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – Located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. This prayer room is exclusively for Muslim passengers and visitors and is equipped with prayer mats, Quran, and ablution facilities.
2. Christian Chapel – Located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. This chapel is open to all Christian passengers and visitors and offers a peaceful space for prayer and reflection.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – Located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. This prayer room is open to people of all faiths and provides a quiet space for meditation and prayer.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are well-maintained and offer a serene environment for passengers and visitors to practice their faith. They are easily accessible and provide a convenient option for those who wish to take a moment to pray or reflect before their flight.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Modibo Keita International Airport in Bamako, Mali offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and access their emails, social media accounts, and other online services.
Workspace: For passengers who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers a number of comfortable seating areas with power outlets and work desks. These areas are located throughout the terminal building and provide a quiet and productive environment for passengers to focus on their work.
Business Lounge: The airport also has a business lounge that offers a range of amenities for business travelers, including comfortable seating, free WiFi, and refreshments. The lounge is open to passengers who have access through their airline or membership program.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels. Whether you need to catch up on work or simply want to stay connected to the internet, the airport has everything you need to stay connected and productive.
The Modibo Keita International Airport offers a variety of comfortable and luxurious lounges for travelers to enjoy. Listed below are the lounges located at the Modibo Keita International Airport and their locations.
- VIP Lounge 1: Terminal 1, International Departures
- VIP Lounge 2: Terminal 2, International Departures
- VIP Lounge 3: Terminal 2, Domestic Departures
- VIP Lounge 4: Terminal 2, Domestic Arrivals
- VIP Lounge 5: Terminal 1, Domestic Departures
- VIP Lounge 6: Terminal 1, Domestic Arrivals
- VIP Lounge 7: Terminal 3, International Departures
- VIP Lounge 8: Terminal 3, International Arrivals
- VIP Lounge 9: Terminal 4, Domestic Departures
- VIP Lounge 10: Terminal 4, Domestic Arrivals
Accomodation Options Nearby Modibo Keita International Airport
Modibo Keita International Airport, located in Bamako, Mali, provides a range of accommodation options catering to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are looking for budget-friendly stays or luxurious accommodations, the airport offers a variety of choices to ensure a comfortable stay. Here are some accommodation options available:
1. Sleep pods and lounges: If you have a short layover or are seeking a cost-effective option, sleep pods or lounges within the airport terminal are ideal. These provide basic sleeping arrangements or comfortable seating, allowing you to rest without leaving the premises. They are the most affordable option and accessible for all travelers.
2. Budget hotels: In close proximity to the airport, several budget-friendly hotels offer comfortable rooms at economical rates. These hotels provide essential amenities such as clean rooms, private bathrooms, and 24-hour front desk service. With lower prices, they cater to travelers looking for a simple and convenient stay without breaking the bank.
3. Mid-range hotels: For travelers looking for more amenities and services, there are mid-range hotels available around the airport. These hotels offer comfortable rooms, on-site restaurants, fitness facilities, and additional conveniences. They usually provide a balance between affordability and extra comforts, ensuring a pleasant stay with reasonable rates.
4. Boutique hotels: If you prefer distinctive charm and personalized service, boutique hotels near the airport provide an excellent option. These smaller-scale accommodations often boast unique decor, stylish interiors, and a cozy ambiance. They offer a more intimate experience and frequently include amenities such as complimentary breakfast, spa facilities, and personalized guest services.
5. Luxury hotels: For those seeking the utmost in comfort and indulgence, luxury hotels near Modibo Keita International Airport exceed expectations. These establishments feature spacious rooms with elegant furnishings, state-of-the-art facilities, and a wide range of services designed to pamper guests. From fine dining restaurants to spa treatments and upscale lounges, these properties offer an unparalleled experience for discerning travelers.
Remember to check availability, prices, and amenities offered by each accommodation option as they may vary. It is advisable to book in advance, especially during peak travel seasons, to secure your preferred choice.
1. National Museum of Mali: Located just 10 minutes away from Modibo Keita International Airport, this museum is a treasure trove of Malian art and culture. From ancient artifacts to contemporary art, visitors can explore the rich history and heritage of the region.
2. Bamako Grand Mosque: Situated approximately 6 kilometers from the airport, this impressive mosque is a must-visit attraction for architecture and history enthusiasts. The mosque’s elegant design and the peaceful atmosphere offer a captivating glimpse into Mali’s Islamic heritage.
3. Bamako Botanical Garden: Only a short distance from Modibo Keita International Airport, this serene garden is a lush oasis in the bustling city. Visitors can stroll amidst a wide variety of plants, enjoy the tranquil ponds, and relax in the shaded areas, making it a perfect place to unwind after a long journey.
4. Bamako City Center: Located around 10 kilometers from the airport, Bamako’s city center is a vibrant hub of local life. Visitors can explore bustling markets, savor traditional cuisine, and experience the lively atmosphere that embodies the essence of the city.
5. Point G Hill: With its panoramic views of Bamako, Point G Hill provides a stunning vantage point just 8 kilometers from the airport. Nature lovers can enjoy a peaceful hike to the top, while photographers can capture breathtaking shots of the city below.
6. Niger River: Flowing through Bamako, the Niger River offers a unique opportunity to experience the heartbeat of the city. Visitors can take a boat ride along the river, enjoy beautiful sunsets, and witness daily life along its banks.
7. Monument de l’Independence: Located approximately 6 kilometers from the airport, this historic monument commemorates Mali’s independence from French colonial rule. Surrounded by lush gardens, it serves as a reminder of the country’s struggle for freedom.
8. Bamako Crafts Market: Situated in the heart of the city, this bustling market is a paradise for souvenir hunters. Visitors can browse through a myriad of traditional handicrafts, including textiles, wood carvings, jewelry, and more, making it an ideal place to find unique gifts.
9. Bamako Zoo: Just a short drive from Modibo Keita International Airport, this charming zoo offers a chance to encounter Mali’s diverse wildlife. From lions and giraffes to monkeys and exotic birds, the zoo provides an enjoyable experience for families and animal enthusiasts.
10. Muso Kunda Museum: Located around 8 kilometers from the airport, this museum showcases the rich cultural heritage of Mali through traditional musical instruments and exhibits. Visitors can learn about the country’s diverse music traditions and even enjoy live performances, adding a melodic touch to their visit.
History of Modibo Keita International Airport
Modibo Keita International Airport is the main airport serving Bamako, the capital city of Mali. The airport was named after Modibo Keita, the first president of Mali, who served from 1960 to 1968. The airport was originally built in the 1970s and underwent a major renovation in 2007 to modernize its facilities and increase its capacity.
The airport has a single runway that is 3,180 meters long and can accommodate large aircraft such as the Boeing 747 and Airbus A380. It has two terminals, one for domestic flights and one for international flights. The international terminal has several duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges for passengers to relax in before their flights.
Modibo Keita International Airport is an important hub for air travel in West Africa, serving as a gateway to Mali and the surrounding countries. It is served by several major airlines, including Air France, Turkish Airlines, and Royal Air Maroc. The airport also has a cargo terminal that handles a variety of goods, including perishable items, livestock, and industrial equipment.
Overall, Modibo Keita International Airport has played a significant role in the development of Mali’s economy and tourism industry. Its modern facilities and strategic location make it an important transportation hub for the region, connecting Mali to the rest of the world.
Other Airports in Koulikoro Region, Mali