Narsarsuaq Airport is a small airport located in southern Greenland. It serves as a gateway to the region’s stunning natural beauty, including glaciers, fjords, and hiking trails. Despite its size, the airport is well-equipped to handle both domestic and international flights.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Narsarsuaq Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Narsarsuaq Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Narsarsuaq Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Narsarsuaq Airport
- Other Airports in Greenland, Greenland
How to Get to Narsarsuaq Airport
Narsarsuaq Airport is located in southern Greenland and is the main airport for the region. To get to Narsarsuaq Airport, the most common way is by taking a flight from Reykjavik, Iceland. There are several airlines that offer flights to Narsarsuaq Airport, including Air Iceland Connect and Air Greenland.
If you are traveling from North America or Europe, you will need to first fly to Reykjavik and then take a connecting flight to Narsarsuaq Airport. The flight from Reykjavik to Narsarsuaq Airport takes approximately 2 hours and 30 minutes.
Once you arrive at Narsarsuaq Airport, there are several transportation options available to get to your final destination. Taxis are available outside the airport terminal and can take you to nearby towns and villages. There are also rental car companies located at the airport if you prefer to have your own transportation. Additionally, there are several tour operators that offer guided tours of the area, which can be a great way to explore the region.
Narsarsuaq Airport is located in southern Greenland and serves as a gateway to the region’s stunning natural beauty. If you’re planning a trip to Narsarsuaq, it’s important to know your transportation options to get to and from the airport. Here are some of the transportation options available:
1. Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The fare is based on the distance traveled, and you can pay in cash or by credit card.
2. Shuttle Bus: Shuttle buses are available to transport passengers to and from the airport. These buses run on a schedule and are a cost-effective option for those traveling on a budget.
3. Rental Car: Rental cars are available at the airport, and they offer the flexibility to explore the region at your own pace. However, it’s important to note that driving in Greenland can be challenging due to the rugged terrain and unpredictable weather conditions.
4. Private Transfer: Private transfers are available for those who want a more personalized experience. These transfers can be arranged in advance and are ideal for larger groups or families.
No matter which transportation option you choose, it’s important to plan ahead and book in advance to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey to and from Narsarsuaq Airport.
Narsarsuaq Airport offers two car parking options for travelers: short-term and long-term parking. Both parking lots are located within walking distance of the airport terminal.
The short-term parking lot is located directly in front of the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for a few hours or a day. The parking lot is open 24 hours a day and is equipped with security cameras to ensure the safety of parked vehicles.
The long-term parking lot is located a short walk from the terminal building and is perfect for travelers who need to park for an extended period. The parking lot is also open 24 hours a day and is equipped with security cameras. The long-term parking lot offers affordable rates for extended stays.
Both parking lots at Narsarsuaq Airport are well-maintained and offer convenient access to the terminal building. Travelers can rest assured that their vehicles will be safe and secure while they are away.
Car Rental at Narsarsuaq Airport
- Green Motion
- Arctic Car Rental
- Keddy by Europcar
Narsarsuaq Airport is located in southern Greenland and is the main airport serving the region. The airport has two terminals, one for domestic flights and the other for international flights. The domestic terminal is a small building with basic facilities such as a waiting area, check-in counters, and a small café. The international terminal is a larger building with more amenities, including a duty-free shop, a restaurant, and a lounge area.
Both terminals are well-maintained and offer a comfortable experience for passengers. The airport staff is friendly and helpful, and there are plenty of signs and information boards to guide passengers through the terminals. The international terminal also has a baggage storage facility for passengers who want to explore the area without their luggage.
Overall, Narsarsuaq Airport’s terminals are efficient and provide a pleasant experience for travelers. Despite being located in a remote area, the airport is well-equipped to handle the needs of passengers and offers a good range of facilities to make their journey comfortable.
- Air Greenland: Operates flights to Nuuk, Ilulissat, Kangerlussuaq and other destinations in Greenland.
- Air Iceland Connect: Operates flights to Reykjavik and other destinations in Iceland.
- Atlantic Airways: Operates flights to Faroese destinations and other destinations in Europe.
- KLM: Operates flights to Amsterdam and other destinations in Europe.
- Air Canada: Operates flights to Montreal and other destinations in Canada.
Narsarsuaq Airport, located in southern Greenland, has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. All passengers and their luggage are screened before boarding their flights. The airport uses advanced technology to scan luggage and detect any prohibited items, such as weapons or explosives. Passengers are also required to pass through metal detectors and undergo a body scan.
In addition to these measures, Narsarsuaq Airport has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport and its surroundings. They are responsible for identifying any potential threats and taking appropriate action to prevent them. The airport also has a security perimeter around its premises to prevent unauthorized access.
Narsarsuaq Airport works closely with local law enforcement agencies to maintain a high level of security. The airport has a comprehensive emergency response plan in place to deal with any security incidents that may occur. The safety and security of passengers and staff are of utmost importance to Narsarsuaq Airport, and they are committed to ensuring a safe and secure travel experience for all.
Narsarsuaq Airport is a small airport located in southern Greenland. Despite its size, the airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience.
One of the most notable services offered at Narsarsuaq Airport is the baggage handling service. Travelers can drop off their luggage at the airport’s baggage counter and have it transported directly to their final destination. This service is particularly useful for those traveling with heavy or bulky items, as it eliminates the need to carry them through the airport.
Another helpful service offered at Narsarsuaq Airport is the airport shuttle. The shuttle runs between the airport and nearby hotels, making it easy for travelers to reach their accommodations without having to navigate unfamiliar roads or public transportation.
For those with mobility issues, Narsarsuaq Airport also offers wheelchair assistance. Trained staff members are available to assist travelers with getting to and from their gate, as well as with boarding and disembarking from the aircraft.
Overall, Narsarsuaq Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as smooth and stress-free as possible. Whether you’re traveling with heavy luggage, staying at a nearby hotel, or have mobility issues, the airport’s staff is dedicated to ensuring that your journey is comfortable and hassle-free.
Shops and Restaurants
1. Duty Free: Located in the main terminal, this shop offers a wide selection of duty-free items, including alcohol, tobacco, and souvenirs.
2. Greenland Shop: Located in the main terminal, this shop offers a variety of Greenlandic souvenirs, including clothing, jewelry, and art.
3. Arctic Adventure: Located in the main terminal, this shop offers outdoor gear and clothing for travelers looking to explore the local area.
1. Café Kulusuk: Located in the main terminal, this café offers a variety of hot and cold drinks, as well as light snacks.
2. Restaurant Narsarsuaq: Located in the main terminal, this restaurant offers a selection of traditional Greenlandic dishes, as well as international cuisine.
3. Arctic Pizza: Located in the main terminal, this pizzeria offers a variety of freshly-made pizzas and other Italian dishes.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Narsarsuaq Airport, located in southern Greenland, provides prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at Narsarsuaq Airport and where they are located:
1. Christian Chapel – The Christian Chapel is located on the second floor of the airport terminal building. It is open to all passengers and visitors and provides a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
2. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim Prayer Room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal building. It is open to all Muslim passengers and visitors and provides a space for prayer and ablution.
3. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – The Multi-Faith Prayer Room is located on the second floor of the airport terminal building. It is open to all passengers and visitors of different faiths and provides a space for prayer and reflection.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are maintained by the airport authorities and are kept clean and well-maintained. Passengers and visitors are encouraged to use these facilities as needed and to respect the religious practices of others who may be using them at the same time.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Narsarsuaq Airport, located in southern Greenland, offers a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers. Here are the details of the airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities:
WiFi: Narsarsuaq Airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flight. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
Workspace: For passengers who need to work or study during their layover, Narsarsuaq Airport offers a dedicated workspace area with comfortable seating and ample desk space. The workspace is equipped with power outlets, so passengers can charge their devices while they work. The area is quiet and well-lit, providing a conducive environment for productivity.
In addition to these facilities, Narsarsuaq Airport also has a restaurant, a souvenir shop, and a lounge area where passengers can relax before their flight. The airport staff is friendly and helpful, ensuring that passengers have a pleasant experience at the airport.
- Kangerlussuaq Airport Lounge: Located in the Kangerlussuaq Airport Terminal Building, Kangerlussuaq, Greenland.
- Narsarsuaq Airport Lounge: Located in the Narsarsuaq Airport Terminal Building, Narsarsuaq, Greenland.
- Keflavik International Airport Lounge: Located in the Keflavik International Airport Terminal Building, Keflavik, Iceland.
Accomodation Options Nearby Narsarsuaq Airport
1. Hotel Narsarsuaq: Located just a few steps away from the airport, Hotel Narsarsuaq offers comfortable rooms with private bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi.
2. Narsarsuaq Camping: Located a short drive away from the airport, Narsarsuaq Camping offers camping sites with access to restrooms and showers.
3. Narsarsuaq Hostel: Located a short drive away from the airport, Narsarsuaq Hostel offers comfortable dormitory-style rooms with shared bathrooms and access to a communal kitchen.
4. Narsarsuaq Guesthouse: Located a short drive away from the airport, Narsarsuaq Guesthouse offers private rooms with private bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi.
5. Narsarsuaq Bed & Breakfast: Located a short drive away from the airport, Narsarsuaq Bed & Breakfast offers comfortable rooms with private bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and free Wi-Fi.
Narsarsuaq Airport is located in southern Greenland, surrounded by stunning natural beauty and cultural landmarks. Here are some of the top attractions near the airport:
1. Qooroq Ice Fjord: This breathtaking fjord is located just a short boat ride from Narsarsuaq Airport. Visitors can witness the stunning blue icebergs that have broken off from the glacier and float in the fjord.
2. Norse Ruins: The nearby settlement of Qassiarsuk is home to the ruins of the first Norse settlement in Greenland, established by Erik the Red in the 10th century. Visitors can explore the reconstructed Viking longhouse and learn about the history of the area.
3. Hiking Trails: The surrounding area offers numerous hiking trails, ranging from easy walks to challenging treks. The Flower Valley Trail is a popular option, offering stunning views of the surrounding mountains and valleys.
4. Boat Tours: Visitors can take a boat tour of the nearby fjords and coastline, spotting wildlife such as whales, seals, and seabirds. Some tours also include stops at small settlements and historic sites.
5. Kayaking: For a more active adventure, visitors can rent kayaks and explore the nearby fjords and coastline on their own. This is a great way to get up close to the icebergs and wildlife.
6. Narsarsuaq Museum: Located just a short walk from the airport, the Narsarsuaq Museum offers exhibits on the history of the area, including the Norse settlement and the WWII air base that was located here.
7. Glacier Tours: For a truly unforgettable experience, visitors can take a helicopter tour of the nearby glaciers, landing on the ice for a closer look. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to witness the stunning beauty of Greenland’s ice sheet.
History of Narsarsuaq Airport
Narsarsuaq Airport is located in southern Greenland and has a rich history dating back to World War II. In 1941, the United States Army Air Forces built an airbase in the area to support the war effort. The base was named Bluie West One and served as a refueling stop for aircraft flying between North America and Europe. The airport was also used as a training ground for pilots and aircrews.
After the war, the airbase was turned over to the Danish government and became a civilian airport in 1958. The airport was renamed Narsarsuaq Airport and became an important hub for transportation and tourism in Greenland. The airport’s location near the ice cap and fjords made it a popular destination for adventure seekers and scientists studying the region.
In recent years, the airport has undergone several upgrades and renovations to improve its facilities and accommodate larger aircraft. Today, Narsarsuaq Airport is a modern airport with a 1,800-meter runway and serves as a gateway to southern Greenland. The airport is an important economic driver for the region, providing jobs and supporting local businesses.
Other Airports in Greenland, Greenland
- Aasiaat Airport
- Godthaab / Nuuk Airport
- Kangerlussuaq Airport
- Kulusuk Airport
- Narsarsuaq Airport
- Sisimiut Airport
- Thule Air Base