Nissan Island Airport is a small airstrip located on Nissan Island in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville, Papua New Guinea. This airport serves as a vital transportation hub, connecting the island to the rest of the region, and facilitating travel for both passengers and cargo.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Nissan Island Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Nissan Island Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Nissan Island Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Nissan Island Airport
- Other Airports in Bougainville (North Solomons), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Nissan Island Airport
To get to Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea, you will need to plan your journey accordingly. The airport is located on Nissan Island, a part of the Autonomous Region of Bougainville.
First, you need to fly to Port Moresby, the capital city of Papua New Guinea. Numerous international airlines offer flights to Port Moresby from major cities worldwide. Once you arrive at Port Moresby’s Jacksons International Airport, you will need to catch a domestic flight to Buka Island Airport or Bougainville International Airport, depending on the available options.
From Buka Island Airport or Bougainville International Airport, you will need to take a short domestic flight to Nissan Island Airport. These flights are usually operated by small local airlines and may not have daily departures, so it is recommended to check the schedule in advance.
Upon landing at Nissan Island Airport, you can then arrange transportation to your final destination on the island. It’s advisable to pre-arrange any necessary transfers or accommodations with local services or resorts to ensure a smooth arrival and departure. Keep in mind that services and amenities on Nissan Island may be limited, so it’s recommended to plan your visit accordingly.
Remember to check for any necessary travel restrictions, entry requirements, and COVID-19 protocols that may be in place before embarking on your journey to Nissan Island Airport.
1. Domestic Flights: The most convenient and popular transportation option to and from Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea is domestic flights. The airport serves as a hub for several local airlines, offering domestic flights to and from various destinations within the country. These flights provide a quick and efficient way to travel to Nissan Island, eliminating the need for long hours on the road or sea.
2. Airport Transfers: Upon landing at Nissan Island Airport, travelers can avail themselves of airport transfer services. These services provide a hassle-free means of transportation between the airport and nearby accommodations or destinations. Airport transfers are usually arranged in advance and can be booked through hotels, resorts, or local tour operators.
3. Rental Cars: For those who prefer more flexibility and independence, renting a car can be an excellent option. At Nissan Island Airport, several car rental companies offer a range of vehicles to suit different needs and budgets. Renting a car allows visitors to explore the island at their own pace and discover its hidden gems, from pristine beaches to scenic viewpoints.
4. Taxis: Taxis are a reliable mode of transportation in Nissan Island. Upon arrival at the airport, travelers can easily find taxis waiting outside the terminal building. Taxis are commonly metered and offer a convenient and affordable way to reach your desired destination on the island. It’s advisable to agree on the fare with the driver before beginning the journey.
5. Public Transport: Nissan Island is a small island with limited public transportation options. However, there is a network of local buses and minibusses that operate on the island, connecting various villages and attractions. These public transport options provide an affordable way to get around, albeit with less flexibility and convenience compared to private transportation alternatives.
6. Motorcycle Rentals: For adventurous individuals looking to explore Nissan Island independently, renting a motorcycle can be an exciting choice. Several rental companies on the island offer motorcycles of different sizes for rent. This mode of transportation allows visitors to navigate through narrow roads and scenic paths, enjoying the island’s natural beauty at their own pace.
In summary, Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a variety of transportation options to suit the preferences and needs of travelers. Whether you prefer the convenience of domestic flights, the flexibility of rental cars, or the affordability of taxis and public transport, there are reliable means of getting around the island. Consider these options to make your travel experience to Nissan Island a smooth and enjoyable one.
Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea offers convenient and secure car parking facilities for travelers. Located adjacent to the airport terminal, these parking areas aim to ensure a hassle-free experience for passengers. Here are the various car parking options available at Nissan Island Airport:
1. Short-Term Parking: Located directly in front of the airport terminal, short-term parking is perfect for those dropping off or picking up passengers or for individuals with short stays. This parking area provides easy access to the terminal building, ensuring a quick and efficient experience.
2. Long-Term Parking: Ideal for travelers planning an extended trip, long-term parking is situated a short distance away from the airport terminal. It offers ample space and security, guaranteeing the safety of your vehicle during your absence. Shuttle services are available to transport passengers between the parking area and the terminal, ensuring a smooth transition.
3. Disabled Parking: Nissan Island Airport also provides designated parking spaces for individuals with disabilities. These spots are conveniently located near the terminal entrance, making it easier for disabled passengers to access the airport facilities.
4. Drop-Off Zones: For those who need to quickly drop-off passengers or luggage, convenient and well-marked drop-off zones are available at Nissan Island Airport. These zones allow for efficient and seamless drop-offs without the need for extended parking.
While parking fees may apply, Nissan Island Airport strives to offer reasonable rates to accommodate the needs of its passengers. Payment options, such as cash or credit card, are typically available to ensure convenience.
Whether you require short or long-term parking, or have specific accessibility needs, Nissan Island Airport’s range of parking options caters to all travelers. Rest easy knowing that your car will be well-protected while you embark on your journey from this Papua New Guinea airport.
Car Rental at Nissan Island Airport
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, serves as a key transportation hub for the Nissan Atoll, an atoll located in the region. Despite its small size, the airport plays a crucial role in connecting the local community with the rest of the country. The airport features a single terminal building that caters to both domestic and international flights, providing a convenient and efficient travel experience for passengers.
The terminal at Nissan Island Airport is designed to accommodate the limited air traffic that the island receives. As a result, it provides a cozy and intimate atmosphere for travelers. The terminal offers basic facilities and amenities to cater to the needs of passengers, including check-in counters, waiting areas, and baggage handling services. Although modest in size, it ensures that passengers have access to the essentials required for a comfortable journey.
While the airport’s charm lies in its simplicity, it remains a vital transportation link for the locals. The airport operates a handful of domestic flights that connect Nissan Atoll with other parts of Papua New Guinea. Additionally, it also serves as a limited gateway for international travelers, offering flights to neighboring countries. Despite its relatively small-scale operations, Nissan Island Airport plays a vital role in facilitating transportation, trade, and tourism activities in the region, enhancing connectivity and fostering economic growth.
There is limited information available on the operating airlines at Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea. However, it is believed that the following airlines may operate at this airport:
1. Air Niugini – Airline based in Papua New Guinea, offering domestic and international flights.
Please note that this information may not be comprehensive and is subject to change. It is recommended to check with the airport or a travel agency for the most up-to-date information regarding operating airlines at Nissan Island Airport.
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, follows stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers and staff. These measures are in place to prevent unauthorized access, protect against potential threats, and maintain a secure environment.
Access to the airport is closely monitored, with only authorized personnel being allowed entry. Security guards are stationed at various checkpoints to verify the identities of individuals entering the premises. Additionally, all visitors must present valid identification, such as a passport or national identification card, before being granted access to the airport facilities.
Baggage screening is an essential component of the security protocols at Nissan Island Airport. All checked luggage and carry-on bags undergo thorough screening procedures using state-of-the-art equipment to detect any prohibited items or potential threats. This ensures the safety of passengers and the integrity of the airport environment.
Furthermore, security personnel are trained to be vigilant and observant, constantly surveying the airport to identify any unusual behavior or suspicious activities. They work closely with law enforcement agencies to respond promptly and effectively to any security concerns. Regular drills and exercises are conducted to test the readiness and efficiency of the security team in handling emergency situations.
Overall, Nissan Island Airport takes the security of its passengers, cargo, and staff seriously. By implementing these robust security protocols, the airport ensures a safe and secure environment for all who pass through its premises.
Nissan Island Airport, located in the Autonomous Region of Bougainville in Papua New Guinea, offers essential traveler’s assistance for those visiting this remote region. As the main airport serving the area, it plays a crucial role in connecting passengers to various destinations within Bougainville and beyond. The airport provides a range of services and facilities to ensure a smooth and comfortable travel experience.
Travelers arriving at Nissan Island Airport can expect to find a welcoming and well-maintained terminal building. The airport staff is known for their friendly and helpful nature, providing assistance to passengers with any queries or concerns. Additionally, the airport offers luggage handling services, ensuring that bags are efficiently transferred to and from aircraft.
Transportation options are readily available at Nissan Island Airport, allowing travelers to easily reach their desired destinations. Taxis and rental car services can be found outside the terminal, offering convenient transportation solutions for exploring the beautiful islands of Bougainville. Moreover, the airport’s strategic location allows for easy access to nearby resorts and accommodations, ensuring a seamless transition from the airport to the traveler’s desired destination.
For those requiring additional assistance, Nissan Island Airport also provides information on nearby attractions, local customs, and safety guidelines. Travelers can approach the airport’s information desk for guidance on planning their itineraries or seeking recommendations on must-visit places in the region. The staff is well-versed in providing valuable insights, ensuring that visitors can make the most of their time in Papua New Guinea.
Overall, Nissan Island Airport stands as a reliable and supportive gateway for travelers venturing into the Autonomous Region of Bougainville. With its comprehensive range of services, friendly personnel, and easy access to transportation, the airport ensures a hassle-free and enjoyable travel experience for all visitors to this enchanting part of Papua New Guinea.
Shops and Restaurants
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Whether you’re looking to grab a quick bite or indulge in some retail therapy, Nissan Island Airport has you covered. Here are some of the noteworthy establishments you can find at this airport:
1. Duty-free Shops: Nissan Island Airport boasts several duty-free shops where travelers can find an array of international brands. From cosmetics and fragrances to electronics and liquor, these shops offer a diverse selection of products at tax-free prices.
2. Souvenir Shops: For those looking to take home a piece of Papua New Guinea, there are souvenir shops available at the airport. These shops offer a variety of locally made handicrafts, art pieces, and traditional artifacts, providing visitors with an opportunity to support local artisans and bring back unique mementos.
3. Convenience Stores: If you need to stock up on travel essentials or grab some snacks for the journey, the convenience stores at Nissan Island Airport are a convenient option. These stores offer a wide range of items, including toiletries, magazines, confectionery, and beverages, ensuring that you have everything you need for a comfortable trip.
4. Cafés and Restaurants: When hunger strikes, Nissan Island Airport has an assortment of cafés and restaurants to satisfy your cravings. From quick-service outlets serving sandwiches, burgers, and salads to sit-down restaurants offering a selection of local and international cuisines, there is something to suit every palate.
5. Coffee Shops: For a caffeine fix or a refreshing beverage, there are coffee shops scattered throughout the airport. These establishments serve a variety of hot and cold drinks, including specialty coffees, teas, and fruit smoothies, providing a much-needed pick-me-up during your journey.
Please note that the availability of specific shops and restaurants may vary, and it is always advisable to check with the airport authorities or consult the airport’s official website for the most up-to-date information.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience and spiritual well-being of travelers. These designated spaces are strategically located within the airport premises, ensuring easy access and comfort for those seeking a moment of solace or religious observance.
1. Main Terminal Prayer Room:
Situated in the main terminal building, the prayer room is easily identifiable and accessible for all passengers. It provides a serene environment for individuals to engage in personal prayers or quiet reflection, irrespective of their faith or belief system. The prayer room is designed to accommodate the diverse religious needs of travelers passing through Nissan Island Airport.
2. Multi-Faith Worship Area:
Adjacent to the main terminal, the multi-faith worship area caters to individuals who prefer a more communal setting for their religious activities. This space welcomes people from various faith backgrounds and encourages interfaith dialogue and understanding. The multi-faith worship area embraces the diversity of visitors, fostering a spirit of unity and respect.
3. Quiet Meditation Corner:
Within the airport premises, a quiet meditation corner offers a tranquil space for passengers seeking moments of inner peace and reflection. This serene area is often adorned with calming decor, such as soft lighting and comfortable seating, enabling individuals to disconnect from the bustling airport environment and find solace in their thoughts or spiritual practices.
These prayer rooms and worship areas at Nissan Island Airport exemplify the airport’s commitment to catering to the diverse spiritual needs of its passengers. Whether one seeks a designated prayer space, a communal worship area, or a peaceful corner for meditation, the airport aims to provide an inclusive environment that respects and accommodates the beliefs and practices of all travelers.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, provides travelers with a range of amenities to ensure a comfortable and productive experience. For those seeking to stay connected and get work done, the airport offers WiFi and workspace facilities.
The airport understands the importance of staying connected in today’s digital world. As such, it provides complimentary WiFi access to all passengers. Whether you need to catch up on emails, browse the internet, or stay in touch with loved ones, the reliable WiFi connection at Nissan Island Airport allows you to do so seamlessly.
In addition to WiFi, the airport also provides dedicated workspace facilities. These spaces are designed to cater to the needs of business travelers or anyone looking for a quiet area to work. Equipped with comfortable seating, ample lighting, and power outlets, these workspaces offer a conducive environment for productivity. Whether you need to prepare for an important meeting or complete urgent tasks, you can rely on the airport’s workspace facilities to meet your needs.
Moreover, the airport’s staff is friendly and attentive, ensuring that you have a hassle-free experience while utilizing the WiFi and workspace facilities. They are readily available to assist with any technical issues or queries you may have, making your time at Nissan Island Airport as smooth as possible.
Overall, Nissan Island Airport in Papua New Guinea understands the importance of connectivity and productivity for its passengers. By offering complimentary WiFi and workspace facilities, the airport aims to cater to the needs of both leisure and business travelers, providing them with the necessary tools to stay connected and get work done efficiently.
Accomodation Options Nearby Nissan Island Airport
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options suitable for different budgets and preferences. Whether you are seeking a budget-friendly option or a luxurious stay, you will find suitable accommodations near the airport to enhance your travel experience. Here are some accommodation options available:
1. Guesthouses and Lodges: For those who prefer affordability, guesthouses and lodges around Nissan Island Airport provide comfortable and budget-friendly accommodations. These lodgings typically offer basic amenities such as clean rooms, beds, and shared bathrooms. While they may lack luxury features, they serve as convenient options for budget-conscious travelers.
2. Bed and Breakfasts: Experience the warm Papua New Guinean hospitality by staying in a cozy bed and breakfast establishment near Nissan Island Airport. These accommodations often provide comfortable rooms, homemade breakfast options, and personalized service. Bed and breakfasts are a popular choice for travelers looking for a home-like atmosphere and an authentic local experience.
3. Mid-Range Hotels: There are several mid-range hotels in close proximity to Nissan Island Airport that cater to travelers seeking comfort and convenience without breaking the bank. These hotels offer well-appointed rooms, private bathrooms, and amenities such as Wi-Fi, television, and in-room dining options.
4. Resorts: If you seek a tranquil and relaxing atmosphere, consider staying at one of the resorts near Nissan Island Airport. These establishments often offer beautiful beachfront locations, spacious rooms, on-site dining options, recreational activities, and additional facilities like swimming pools and spas. Resorts provide a perfect blend of comfort and leisure for a memorable stay.
5. Luxury Resorts and Boutique Hotels: For discerning travelers who desire the finest accommodations, luxury resorts and boutique hotels near Nissan Island Airport offer world-class amenities and services. These upscale establishments boast luxurious rooms, stunning ocean views, gourmet dining experiences, wellness facilities, and personalized services. Indulge in the ultimate comfort and elegance during your stay at these opulent accommodations.
It is advisable to make reservations in advance, especially during peak travel seasons.
1. Nissan Island: The airport itself is located on Nissan Island, which is a small but historically significant island in Papua New Guinea. Visitors can explore the island’s lush landscapes, pristine beaches, and learn about its interesting World War II history.
2. Kavieng: Located around 135 kilometers southeast of Nissan Island, Kavieng is the capital of the New Ireland Province and offers a range of attractions. Visitors can witness stunning coral reefs, go diving or snorkeling, and explore the fascinating local culture and markets.
3. Malagan Beach: Located on New Ireland, not far from Kavieng, Malagan Beach is a hidden gem, known for its beautiful white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters. Visitors can relax, sunbathe, or even go for a swim in its idyllic setting.
4. Nusa Lik Island: Situated near Kavieng, Nusa Lik Island is a tropical paradise that offers a unique blend of stunning natural scenery and cultural experiences. Visitors can enjoy activities such as kayaking, fishing, or simply taking in the breathtaking views.
5. Lelet Plateau: Located on New Ireland, the Lelet Plateau is a vast highland region filled with picturesque landscapes, dense forests, and beautiful waterfalls. Visitors can embark on hiking adventures, explore the region’s rich biodiversity, and enjoy the tranquility of nature.
6. Nantabu Beach: Situated on the southern coast of New Ireland, Nantabu Beach is known for its pristine white sand and clear aquamarine waters. Visitors can sunbathe, go for long walks along the shore, or simply relax in a tropical paradise.
7. Malagan Village: Discover the unique cultural heritage of New Ireland at a Malagan Village. Visitors can witness traditional dances, experience local customs, and admire traditional artwork and sculptures.
8. Lissenung Island: Located near Kavieng, Lissenung Island is a small private island that offers a secluded retreat for visitors. Here, guests can enjoy activities like scuba diving, snorkeling, and kayaking while enjoying the tranquility of this tropical paradise.
9. Lavongai (New Hanover) Island: Approximately 80 kilometers south of Nissan Island, Lavongai is a remote and untouched island boasting stunning landscapes and rich marine biodiversity. It’s the perfect destination for nature lovers, divers, and those seeking a remote island experience.
10. Kavieng Museum: Delve into the rich history and culture of the region at the Kavieng Museum. This small but informative museum showcases artifacts, traditional crafts, and historical objects that provide insights into the local way of life and the World War II history of the area.
History of Nissan Island Airport
Nissan Island Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, holds a rich and intriguing history. Originally known as Green Island, it played an essential role during World War II as a strategic airfield for both American and Japanese forces. The island, located in the Bismarck Archipelago, witnessed fierce battles between the two sides, resulting in significant infrastructure damage and loss of life. Following the end of the war, the airport went through a series of transformations, eventually becoming an essential transportation hub for the local community.
During World War II, the airport’s significance was evident as it provided a crucial base for the United States and Japanese military operations. Once a thriving community of approximately 10,000 people, the island endured intense fighting during the Battle of the Green Islands in February 1944. Following the battle, the airstrip was expanded to accommodate larger aircraft, contributing to the crucial airfield network in the Pacific theater.
After the war, Nissan Island Airport was handed over to the Australian administration, who gradually restored and upgraded the facilities. Today, the airport serves as the primary gateway for tourists and locals, connecting them with regional and international destinations. With improved infrastructure and modern amenities, the airport remains an essential lifeline for the people of Nissan Island, facilitating economic growth and promoting cultural exchange with the outside world. The history of Nissan Island Airport stands as a testament to the island’s resilience and its role in connecting people beyond its wartime heritage.
Other Airports in Bougainville (North Solomons), Papua New Guinea
- Arawa Airport
- Aropa Airport
- Basikuna Airstrip
- Buin Airport
- Buka Airport
- Karato Airport
- Nissan Island Airport
- Nuguria Airstrip
- Sabah Airport
- Tonu Airport
- Torokina Airport
- Wakunai Airport