Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Mauritania, Nouakchott. It is located approximately 25 kilometers north of the city center and is the hub for Mauritania Airlines International. The airport has a single terminal building and handles both domestic and international flights.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
- Other Airports in Nouakchott Region, Mauritania
How to Get to Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is located approximately 25 kilometers north of the city center of Nouakchott, the capital of Mauritania. The easiest way to get to the airport is by taxi or private car. Taxis are readily available throughout the city and can be hailed on the street or booked through a hotel or taxi company. The journey to the airport takes around 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Another option is to take a local bus or shared taxi from the city center to the airport. These are cheaper than a private taxi but can be crowded and uncomfortable. It is important to note that these services may not run on a regular schedule and may not be reliable.
If you are driving to the airport, there is a large parking lot available for both short-term and long-term parking. The airport is well signposted from the main roads leading into Nouakchott, so it should be easy to find. However, it is recommended to leave plenty of time for traffic and potential delays, especially during peak travel times.
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Mauritania. It is located about 25 kilometers north of the city center. There are several transportation options available for travelers to get to and from the airport.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are the most convenient way to get to your destination. The fare is negotiable, so it’s best to agree on a price before getting in the taxi.
2. Car rental: Several car rental companies operate at the airport, including Avis, Europcar, and Hertz. Renting a car is a good option if you plan to explore the city and surrounding areas.
3. Shuttle service: Some hotels and guesthouses offer shuttle services to and from the airport. Check with your accommodation provider to see if they offer this service.
4. Public transportation: There are several public transportation options available, including buses and minibusses. However, these can be crowded and not very reliable, so it’s best to use them only if you’re on a tight budget.
5. Private transfer: Private transfer services are available at the airport, and they offer a more comfortable and reliable option than public transportation. These services can be booked in advance, and the driver will meet you at the airport and take you directly to your destination.
Overall, there are several transportation options available at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport, and choosing the right one depends on your budget, destination, and travel preferences.
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers several car parking options for passengers. Here are the different car parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for passengers who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are higher than long-term parking.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a short distance from the terminal building and is ideal for passengers who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are lower than short-term parking.
3. VIP parking: This parking area is reserved for VIP passengers and is located close to the terminal building. The rates for VIP parking are higher than both short-term and long-term parking.
4. Disabled parking: This parking area is reserved for passengers with disabilities and is located close to the terminal building. It is equipped with special facilities to make it easier for disabled passengers to access the terminal.
5. Drop-off and pick-up area: This area is located directly in front of the terminal building and is designated for passengers who need to drop off or pick up someone quickly. Parking is not allowed in this area, and vehicles must not be left unattended.
Overall, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all passengers.
Car Rental at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Mauritania. The airport has two terminals, one for domestic flights and the other for international flights. The domestic terminal is smaller and less modern than the international terminal, but it still offers basic amenities such as a waiting area, restrooms, and a small café.
The international terminal is larger and more modern, with a range of facilities to cater to the needs of travelers. It has several check-in counters, immigration and customs facilities, duty-free shops, restaurants, and cafes. The terminal also has a VIP lounge for business and first-class passengers, which offers a more comfortable and exclusive experience.
Both terminals are well-maintained and provide a comfortable and efficient experience for travelers. The airport staff is friendly and helpful, and the security measures are strict but efficient. Overall, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is a well-equipped and convenient airport for travelers visiting Mauritania.
* Air Algerie
* Air Burkina
* Air Côte d’Ivoire
* Air France
* Air Senegal
* Asky Airlines
* Mauritania Airlines International
* Royal Air Maroc
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport in Mauritania and serves as a gateway to the country. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. The security measures are in line with international standards and are constantly reviewed and updated to keep up with the changing security landscape.
Passengers are required to go through a security screening process before entering the airport terminal. This includes a baggage screening process, metal detector screening, and body scanning. Any prohibited items found during the screening process are confiscated, and passengers may face further questioning or investigation.
The airport also has a dedicated security team that monitors the airport premises and conducts regular patrols. The team is trained to identify and respond to any security threats promptly. Additionally, the airport has installed CCTV cameras throughout the terminal and the surrounding areas to enhance security surveillance.
Overall, the security protocols at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport are designed to ensure the safety and security of all passengers and staff. The airport management is committed to maintaining a safe and secure environment and continuously reviews and updates its security measures to stay ahead of potential threats.
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Mauritania. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and immigration and customs assistance.
Passengers with special needs can request wheelchair assistance at the airport. The airport staff is trained to provide assistance to passengers with disabilities or mobility issues. The airport also has designated parking spaces for passengers with disabilities.
The airport also offers baggage handling services to help passengers with their luggage. Passengers can request assistance with their baggage at the check-in counter or at the baggage claim area. The airport staff will help passengers with their luggage and ensure that it is safely transported to the aircraft or the baggage claim area.
Immigration and customs assistance is also available at the airport. Passengers can receive assistance with immigration and customs procedures, including visa applications and passport control. The airport staff is trained to provide assistance to passengers who may have difficulty with these procedures.
Overall, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a comfortable and stress-free travel experience for passengers. The airport staff is dedicated to providing excellent customer service and ensuring that all passengers have a pleasant experience at the airport.
Shops and Restaurants
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty-Free Shop: This shop offers a wide range of products, including perfumes, cosmetics, chocolates, and alcohol. Passengers can enjoy tax-free shopping before boarding their flights.
2. Souvenir Shop: This shop offers a variety of souvenirs, including traditional Mauritanian handicrafts, clothing, and accessories. It is the perfect place to pick up a unique gift for loved ones.
3. Bookstore: This store offers a selection of books, magazines, and newspapers in various languages. Passengers can browse through the latest bestsellers or catch up on the news before their flight.
4. Cafes: There are several cafes located throughout the airport, offering a range of snacks, sandwiches, and beverages. Passengers can grab a quick bite or relax with a cup of coffee before their flight.
5. Restaurants: There are also several restaurants located in the airport, offering a variety of cuisines, including Mauritanian, French, and Italian. Passengers can enjoy a sit-down meal before their flight or grab a takeaway to enjoy on the plane.
Overall, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable airport experience.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – Located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. The prayer room is equipped with prayer mats, ablution facilities, and a Qibla direction indicator.
2. Christian Chapel – Located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. The chapel is open to all Christian denominations and provides a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
3. Multi-Faith Meditation Room – Located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the duty-free shops. The meditation room is open to people of all faiths and provides a peaceful environment for quiet contemplation and reflection.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are open 24 hours a day and are free to use. They are maintained by the airport staff and are kept clean and well-maintained. Passengers and visitors are encouraged to use these facilities as needed and to respect the religious practices of others who may be using them at the same time.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport offers WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers have a comfortable and productive experience while waiting for their flights.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy for passengers to browse the internet, check their emails, or stream their favorite content.
For those who need to work while waiting for their flight, the airport offers a range of workspace facilities. There are several seating areas with power outlets, where passengers can plug in their laptops or other electronic devices and work comfortably. Additionally, there are private workstations available for rent, which come equipped with a desk, chair, and power outlets.
The airport also has a business lounge, which is available to passengers who have access to the lounge through their airline or membership program. The lounge provides a quiet and comfortable environment for passengers to work, with complimentary WiFi, refreshments, and other amenities.
Overall, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities are designed to meet the needs of modern travelers, providing them with the tools they need to stay connected and productive while on the go.
The following is a list of lounges available at Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport:
- VIP Lounge – Located in the International Departure Area
- Business Lounge – Located in the International Departure Area
- Air Mauritania Lounge – Located in the Domestic Departure Area
- Mauritania Airlines Lounge – Located in the Domestic Departure Area
Accomodation Options Nearby Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport, located in Nouakchott, the capital city of Mauritania, offers a variety of accommodation options to meet the needs and preferences of travelers. From budget-friendly choices to luxurious accommodations, there is something for everyone at or near the airport. Here, we present a range of options available:
1. Airport Lounges: For those seeking comfort and convenience during a short layover or delay, several airport lounges are available for use. These lounges offer comfortable seating, complimentary snacks and beverages, Wi-Fi access, and sometimes even shower facilities. Day passes or access through certain credit cards allow travelers to enjoy these amenities.
2. Transit Hotels: Within the airport terminal, transit hotels offer a convenient option for weary travelers seeking a short rest between flights. These budget-friendly hotels usually have basic amenities such as comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and sometimes breakfast options. They are perfect for travelers on a short layover or those looking to catch an early morning flight.
3. Nearby Budget Hotels: Just a short distance from the airport, several budget hotels provide affordable accommodation options. These hotels often offer comfortable rooms, simple amenities like Wi-Fi, television, and room service, and may include a restaurant or café. Transportation to and from the airport is usually available, making them a convenient choice for travelers on a budget.
4. Mid-Range Hotels: Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport and its surroundings are home to numerous mid-range hotels, catering to travelers looking for a balance between affordability and comfort. These hotels offer well-appointed rooms, suitable for both leisure and business travelers. Amenities often include Wi-Fi, in-room dining, fitness centers, swimming pools, and onsite restaurants serving local and international cuisine.
5. Luxury Hotels: For travelers seeking the finest accommodation experiences, there are several luxurious options near the airport. These high-end hotels boast elegant rooms and suites, showcasing sophisticated decor and breathtaking views. Guests can expect exceptional service, a multitude of amenities including spas, fitness centers, multiple dining options, and often, airport shuttle services. They cater to discerning travelers and provide a haven of relaxation and indulgence.
It is recommended that travelers book accommodation in advance to secure their preferred choice, especially during peak travel seasons. Whether you opt for a budget-friendly transit hotel, a mid-range hotel with modern amenities, or a luxurious getaway, Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport and its surroundings offer a range of accommodation options to suit different needs and budgets.
1. Banc d’Arguin National Park: Located on the coast, this UNESCO World Heritage site is a stunning natural reserve popular for bird watching and marine life observation.
2. Port de Pêche: A vibrant fish market where visitors can witness local fishermen offloading their catch, and even try their hand at negotiating for fresh seafood.
3. Chinguetti: This ancient desert town is known for its beautiful adobe architecture and historic mosques, providing a glimpse into the rich Islamic history of Mauritania.
4. Terjit Oasis: A hidden gem nestled within a palm grove, this oasis offers relaxation amidst the desert with refreshing natural pools and stunning landscapes.
5. Ksar: This traditional desert village offers a prime opportunity to experience Mauritanian culture, with its narrow winding streets and picturesque fortress-like architecture.
6. Oualata: Another ancient town with distinct mud-brick architecture, Oualata is renowned for its intricate Islamic calligraphy adorning the houses and mosques.
7. Azougui: This small village is known for its impressive prehistoric rock art, which can be explored through guided tours while learning about the rich history of the region.
8. Porte de Mauritanie: Located in the capital city, Nouakchott, this imposing gate represents the entrance to the city’s old quarter and offers a glimpse into its colonial past.
9. Maaden El-erama Salt Pan: A unique natural attraction, these expansive salt pans offer a surreal landscape, particularly during sunrise and sunset, making it a popular photography spot.
10. Parc National du Diawling: Located at the intersection of the Senegal River and the Atlantic Ocean, this national park is a biodiversity hotspot, offering opportunities for nature enthusiasts to spot various species of birds, mammals, and reptiles.
Note: Please note that some attractions may require travel outside of Nouakchott, and it is recommended to plan accordingly.
History of Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is the main airport serving the capital city of Mauritania, Nouakchott. The airport was originally built in the 1960s as a small airfield, but it was later expanded and upgraded to accommodate larger aircraft. The airport was officially opened in 1974 and was named after the nearby village of Oumtounsy.
Over the years, the airport has undergone several renovations and upgrades to improve its facilities and services. In 2016, a new terminal building was opened, which increased the airport’s capacity to handle more passengers and flights. The new terminal also features modern amenities such as duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges.
Nouakchott–Oumtounsy International Airport is an important gateway to Mauritania, serving both domestic and international flights. The airport is currently served by several airlines, including Air France, Turkish Airlines, and Royal Air Maroc. It plays a vital role in the country’s economy by facilitating trade and tourism, and it is a key transportation hub for the West African region.
Other Airports in Nouakchott Region, Mauritania