Located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, Okao Airport serves as a vital link for both domestic and international travel in the region. With its strategic location and modern infrastructure, this airport effectively connects passengers to popular tourist destinations and key economic hubs within the country.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Okao Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Okao Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Okao Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Okao Airport
- Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Okao Airport
To reach Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea, you have several options depending on your starting point. If you are in the capital city, Port Moresby, the most convenient way is to take a domestic flight from Jacksons International Airport. There are regular flights operated by Air Niugini and other local carriers, and the journey takes approximately one hour.
If you are in a different region of Papua New Guinea, you can also reach Okao Airport by road. From Goroka, one of the major cities in the Eastern Highlands, it is about a three-hour drive along the Eastern Highlands Highway. You can hire a local driver or use public transportation, such as buses or minivans, which run on this route.
Once you arrive at the airport, it’s important to note that Okao Airport is a small regional airport with limited facilities. It primarily serves as a hub for domestic flights to other destinations within Papua New Guinea. Therefore, it is advised to make necessary arrangements like accommodation and travel arrangements in advance, as nearby options are limited.
When traveling to Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea, there are a few transportation options available to ensure a smooth and convenient journey. Here are some informative transportation choices:
1. Airport Transfer Service: Okao Airport offers private airport transfer services, which are a convenient and hassle-free mode of transportation. Upon your arrival, you can pre-book a transfer service that will take you directly to your desired destination, such as a hotel or tourist attraction. These services often provide comfortable vehicles with professional drivers who are familiar with the local area.
2. Taxis: Taxis are another popular transportation option at Okao Airport. You can easily find taxis waiting outside the airport terminal, ready to take you to your destination. While negotiating the fare is essential, it is advisable to agree upon a price before embarking on your journey. Taxis offer a flexible and comfortable option for those who prefer direct transportation.
3. Car Rental: If you prefer the freedom to explore Okao and its surrounding areas at your own pace, renting a car is an excellent option. Several car rental companies operate at Okao Airport, offering a range of vehicles to suit various needs and budgets. Renting a car allows you to explore the region independently and provides more flexibility for your travel plans.
4. Public Transportation: For budget-conscious travelers, local public transportation options are available near Okao Airport. These may include buses or minibusses that operate regular routes to different destinations. While this option may take slightly longer than other modes of transportation, it offers an affordable way to travel and experience the local ambiance.
5. Hotel Shuttle Service: Some hotels near Okao Airport provide complimentary shuttle services for their guests. This convenient service ensures a seamless transition from the airport to your accommodation. It is advisable to check with your hotel in advance to determine if they offer this service and to obtain the necessary information regarding pick-up points and schedules.
In conclusion, Okao Airport offers several transportation options catering to different preferences and budgets. Whether you choose private transfers, taxis, car rentals, or public transportation, each option provides a reliable and convenient way to explore Papua New Guinea’s beautiful destinations.
Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea offers convenient car parking facilities for travelers. The parking area is located right next to the airport terminal, ensuring easy access for passengers.
At Okao Airport, the car parking lot is strategically situated just a short walking distance from the terminal building. This proximity allows travelers to conveniently park their vehicles upon arrival and easily retrieve them when they depart.
The parking area is well-maintained and provides a safe and secure environment for vehicles. With ample space available, it can accommodate a decent number of cars, ensuring that passengers will have no trouble finding a parking spot.
Whether you are traveling for business or pleasure, Okao Airport’s car parking facilities are designed to ease your journey. You can leave your vehicle in a secure location and have peace of mind throughout your trip, knowing that it will be protected.
In summary, Okao Airport offers a convenient car parking solution for passengers traveling to and from Papua New Guinea. Located just a short walk from the terminal, the parking area provides ample space and ensures the safety of your vehicle.
Car Rental at Okao Airport
Okao Airport is a small, yet crucial air transport facility located in the Okao village, Papua New Guinea. Serving the Southern Highlands Province, this airport provides essential connections for travelers within the region. Despite its size, Okao Airport is equipped with modern facilities designed to enhance the travel experience of its passengers.
The airport features a single terminal building that provides a comfortable and convenient space for travelers while they wait for their flights. Inside the terminal, passengers can find a range of amenities including seating areas, toilets, and a small snack bar offering refreshments. The terminal is well-maintained and adheres to international safety standards, ensuring a safe and secure environment for all visitors.
Due to its remote location, Okao Airport predominantly caters to domestic flights. It serves as a vital transportation hub for those wishing to explore the stunning natural beauty and rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea. Whether travelers seek adventure in the nearby rainforests, want to immerse themselves in the traditional local communities, or simply need to travel between provincial towns, Okao Airport acts as a gateway to these experiences.
In conclusion, Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea is a small but efficient terminal serving the Southern Highlands Province. Despite its compact size, the airport provides essential facilities for the comfort and convenience of its passengers. Travelers utilizing Okao Airport can expect a seamless experience as they explore the wonders of Papua New Guinea, whether it be through its breathtaking landscapes or vibrant local communities.
As of my knowledge, Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea does not have any regular operating airlines. However, it is possible that occasional charter or private flights may use the airport.
Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea follows strict security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers and staff. These protocols are in line with international standards and are in place to mitigate potential risks and respond effectively to any emergencies that may arise.
Upon entering the airport premises, all individuals, including passengers and staff, are required to undergo a thorough security screening process. This includes a baggage check, scanning of personal belongings, and a body scan. The objective is to detect any prohibited items or dangerous substances that may pose a threat to the aircraft or the individuals on board.
Moreover, Okao Airport has a dedicated team of security personnel who undergo regular training to maintain their proficiency in handling security procedures and responding to emergencies. They are responsible for monitoring the airport premises, identifying suspicious activities, and ensuring that all security protocols are strictly adhered to.
In addition to the physical security measures, Okao Airport also maintains a robust surveillance system, including CCTV cameras strategically placed throughout the airport. This allows for real-time monitoring and recording of activities within the premises, which enhances overall security and assists in investigations if necessary.
Overall, Okao Airport takes security protocols seriously and is committed to providing a safe environment for all passengers and staff. By implementing stringent measures, conducting regular training sessions, and deploying advanced surveillance technology, the airport aims to ensure a seamless travel experience for all while prioritizing the safety and security of everyone involved.
Okao Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small yet significant air transport hub providing essential travel assistance to tourists and locals alike. Nestled in the Eastern Highlands Province, this airport serves as a gateway to the beautiful and diverse region. Despite its modest size, Okao Airport boasts modern facilities and amenities, ensuring a hassle-free travel experience for visitors.
Traveler’s assistance at Okao Airport is comprehensive and focused on ensuring passenger comfort and convenience. The airport offers various services, including baggage handling, visa assistance, and efficient customs and immigration procedures. Well-trained staff members are readily available to assist travelers with any queries or concerns, ensuring a smooth transition through the airport.
Additionally, Okao Airport provides essential facilities such as lounges, restrooms, and dining options to cater to the needs of travelers. The airport’s strategic location allows easy access to nearby attractions, making it an ideal starting point for exploring the breathtaking natural landscapes, cultural heritage, and rich biodiversity of Papua New Guinea.
In conclusion, Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a range of traveler’s assistance services, ensuring a comfortable and enjoyable experience for visitors. With its modern facilities, efficient staff, and convenient location, Okao Airport serves as an excellent entry point for travelers seeking to discover the wonders of Papua New Guinea’s Eastern Highlands Province.
Shops and Restaurants
Okao Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Whether you are looking to grab a quick bite or indulge in some retail therapy, this airport has you covered.
For those who want to satisfy their hunger, Okao Airport features several dining options. One popular choice is the Airport Cafe, which offers a variety of delicious meals and snacks. From freshly brewed coffee to sandwiches and pastries, this cafe ensures that travelers can refuel and enjoy a satisfying meal before their flight.
If you are in the mood for something more substantial, the airport also houses a restaurant that serves both local and international cuisines. Here, you can savor traditional Papua New Guinean dishes, such as kokoda (a marinated fish dish) or mumu (a traditional earth oven-cooked feast). Alternatively, you can opt for familiar favorites like burgers or pasta, ensuring there is something for every palate.
In addition to the dining options, Okao Airport boasts a selection of shops where travelers can browse and purchase various items. For those seeking souvenirs, there is a gift shop that showcases locally made handicrafts, clothing, and artwork. This is the perfect place to find unique keepsakes or gifts for loved ones.
If you need to stock up on travel essentials or forgot to pack something, there is a convenience store conveniently located within the airport. Here, you can find a range of items like toiletries, snacks, magazines, and even electronic accessories. This store ensures that travelers have access to all the necessities they may require during their journey.
Furthermore, Okao Airport features a duty-free shop, offering an array of tax-free products. From international brands of perfume, cosmetics, and alcohol to electronics and luxury items, this shop provides an opportunity to indulge in some retail therapy and take advantage of tax-free prices.
Overall, Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a variety of dining options and shops that cater to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are looking for a quick bite or a memorable souvenir, this airport ensures a pleasant and convenient experience for all passengers.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea does not have dedicated prayer rooms or worship areas within its premises. However, being a small regional airport, passengers and visitors may find open spaces or outdoor areas where they can privately engage in prayer or meditation.
In such cases, individuals are advised to be respectful of their surroundings and the local customs and traditions. It is always recommended to inquire with airport staff or security personnel for guidance on suitable areas for prayer or worship.
As Okao Airport is primarily a transit hub for domestic flights, passengers with specific religious requirements may prefer to make necessary arrangements before their journey, such as carrying personal prayer mats or religious texts.
Please note that as infrastructural facilities may vary at different airports, it is advisable to check with the airport authorities or your airline for any specific prayer or worship provisions before your travel.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Okao Airport in Papua New Guinea offers a range of facilities to ensure a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers. For those who need to stay connected during their visit, the airport provides WiFi services. Whether you need to catch up on work, browse the internet, or stay in touch with loved ones, the WiFi at Okao Airport allows you to do so effortlessly.
Additionally, Okao Airport recognizes the importance of providing a conducive workspace for travelers who may need to get some work done. The airport offers designated areas where passengers can find a quiet and comfortable space to focus on their tasks. These workspaces are equipped with amenities such as power outlets, allowing you to charge your devices while you work.
The availability of WiFi and workspace facilities at Okao Airport ensures that you can stay productive and connected while waiting for your flight. Whether you are a business traveler or simply need to catch up on some work, these amenities cater to your needs and make your time at the airport more efficient and enjoyable.
Accomodation Options Nearby Okao Airport
Okao Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options suitable for different budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget-conscious traveler or seeking luxury amenities, you will find a suitable place to stay near the airport. Here are some of the accommodation options available at Okao Airport:
1. Airport Transit Hotel: Perfect for travelers looking for convenience and budget-friendly accommodation, the Airport Transit Hotel offers basic rooms with essential amenities. Situated in close proximity to the airport, it is an ideal choice for short layovers or overnight stays.
2. Guesthouses and Bed & Breakfasts: There are numerous guesthouses and cozy bed & breakfasts in the vicinity of Okao Airport. These options often provide comfortable rooms, friendly service, and a homely ambiance. They are pocket-friendly alternatives for travelers preferring a more personalized experience.
3. Economy Hotels: Several economy hotels offer affordable rates and a range of amenities near Okao Airport. These properties typically feature clean and comfortable rooms, Wi-Fi, and on-site dining options. They provide a decent level of comfort at reasonable prices.
4. Mid-Range Hotels: If you are looking for more comfort and amenities without breaking the bank, there are mid-range hotels conveniently located within a short distance from the airport. These hotels may include facilities like swimming pools, fitness centers, restaurants, and spacious rooms suitable for families or business travelers.
5. Upscale Hotels: For those seeking a touch of luxury, there are upscale hotels available near Okao Airport. These properties offer high-end amenities, well-appointed rooms, fine dining restaurants, spa facilities, and sometimes even private beach access. They provide a lavish experience for travelers looking to indulge and unwind.
6. Resorts: If you prefer a resort-style experience, there are a few options near Okao Airport that offer a range of recreational activities and amenities. These resorts often boast private beaches, water sports, multiple dining options, and spacious rooms or villas with stunning views. They provide a serene and upscale atmosphere for a memorable stay.
It is recommended to check the specific amenities and rates of each accommodation option to ensure they meet your requirements. Additionally, due to the remote location, it’s advisable to make reservations in advance, especially during popular travel seasons, to secure your preferred choice of accommodation at Okao Airport, Papua New Guinea.
1. Kokoda Track: Located just a short distance from Okao Airport, the Kokoda Track is a famous trekking route that attracts adventure enthusiasts from around the world. The trail offers breathtaking views of the rugged terrain and allows visitors to retrace the footsteps of World War II soldiers.
2. Varirata National Park: Situated approximately 30 km from the airport, Varirata National Park is a must-visit destination for nature lovers. Here, you can explore lush rainforests, spot a diverse range of native flora and fauna, and enjoy panoramic vistas of Port Moresby and the surrounding coastline.
3. Bomana War Cemetery: A place of historical significance, the Bomana War Cemetery is the final resting place for soldiers who lost their lives during the Second World War. The beautifully maintained cemetery serves as a somber reminder of Papua New Guinea’s involvement in the war.
4. Port Moresby Nature Park: Located just a short drive away, Port Moresby Nature Park offers a unique opportunity to get up close and personal with Papua New Guinea’s remarkable wildlife. This well-maintained park showcases a variety of animals, including native birds, reptiles, and marsupials.
5. Parliament House: Situated in the capital city of Port Moresby, the Parliament House is an iconic landmark and an important political institution in Papua New Guinea. Visitors can take guided tours of the building and learn about the country’s political history and governance.
6. Adventure Park PNG: For those seeking adrenaline-fueled activities, Adventure Park PNG is the perfect destination. Just a short drive from the airport, this outdoor adventure park offers thrilling experiences like ziplining, go-kart racing, and paintball battles.
7. Museum of Papua New Guinea: Located in the heart of Port Moresby, the Museum of Papua New Guinea is a treasure trove of cultural artifacts and historical exhibits. The museum showcases the diverse indigenous cultures of the country, including traditional artwork, ceremonial masks, and archaeological findings.
8. Orchid Island Cultural Village: Immerse yourself in the rich cultural heritage of Papua New Guinea at Orchid Island Cultural Village. Set amidst lush tropical gardens, this attraction offers traditional dance performances, art displays, and an opportunity to interact with local tribes and learn about their customs and traditions.
9. Loloata Island: Ready for some relaxation and snorkeling in turquoise waters? A short boat ride from Okao Airport, Loloata Island boasts stunning coral reefs, crystal-clear waters, and pristine beaches. Spend a day exploring the underwater world or simply bask in the sun on the island’s white sands.
10. Adventure Dive PNG: If scuba diving is your passion, Adventure Dive PNG offers an unforgettable experience near Okao Airport. Dive into the vibrant underwater world of Papua New Guinea, renowned for its diverse marine life, coral reefs, and intact shipwrecks from World War II.
These attractions near Okao Airport provide a diverse range of experiences, from historical landmarks to natural wonders and cultural encounters, making Papua New Guinea a destination with something for every traveler.
History of Okao Airport
Okao Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, has a rich history that spans over several decades. Built during the Second World War, it served as an essential military airbase for Allied forces. The airport played a vital role in supporting military operations in the Pacific theater, assisting in the transportation of troops and supplies throughout the region.
Following the war, Okao Airport transitioned into a civilian facility, serving as an important gateway for both domestic and international travel. The airport underwent significant development and expansion to accommodate the increasing number of flights and passengers. Over the years, improvements were made to its infrastructure, including the extension of runways and the construction of new terminal buildings, enhancing the airport’s capabilities and ensuring the comfort and safety of its users.
Today, Okao Airport continues to be an important transportation hub in Papua New Guinea, providing connectivity to various destinations within the country and fostering economic growth in the region. The airport serves as a lifeline for the local communities, facilitating the movement of people, goods, and services. It plays a pivotal role in promoting tourism, supporting trade, and connecting remote areas to urban centers. As Papua New Guinea’s aviation industry expands, Okao Airport remains committed to providing efficient services, maintaining safety standards, and contributing to the nation’s overall development.
Other Airports in Western (Fly River), Papua New Guinea
- Aiambak Airport
- Ali Airstrip
- Arufi Airstrip
- Atkamba Airport
- Awaba Airport
- Balimo Airport
- Bamu Airport
- Bensbach Airport
- Biangabip Airport
- Bosset Airport
- Dahamo Airstrip
- Daru Airport
- Debepare Airport
- Dewara Airstrip
- Dimisisi Airstrip
- Dodomona Airstrip
- Fuma Airport
- Gasuke Airport
- Guavi Airstrip
- Gubam Airstrip
- Gulgubip Airport
- Habi Airport
- Haewenai Airstrip
- Hesalibi Airstrip
- Honinabi Airport
- Kamusi Airport
- Kapal Airport
- Kawito Airport
- Kibuli Airstrip
- Kiriwo Airstrip
- Kiunga Airport
- Kondobol Airport
- Kungim Airport
- Kuyol Airport
- Lagoon Airstrip
- Lake Campbell Airstrip
- Lake Murray Airport
- Malam Airport
- Mapoda Airport
- Matkomnae Airstrip
- Membok Airstrip
- Morehead Airport
- Mougulu Airport
- Nomad River Airport
- Obo Airport
- Okao Airport
- Olsobip Airport
- Oriomo Airstrip
- Panakawa Airport
- Pangoa Airport
- Rumginae Airport
- Sasereme Airport
- Selbang Airport
- Seltamin Airstrip
- Somokopa Airstrip
- Sturt Island Airport
- Suabi Airport
- Suame Airstrip
- Suki Airport
- Tabubil Airport
- Tapila Airstrip
- Tarakbits Airport
- Upiara Airport
- Wasua Airport
- Wawoi Falls Airport
- Weam Airport
- Wipim Airport
- Yehebi Airstrip