Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport serving the Cayman Islands. Located on the largest island, Grand Cayman, the airport handles both domestic and international flights.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Owen Roberts International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Owen Roberts International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Owen Roberts International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Owen Roberts International Airport
- Other Airports in Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
How to Get to Owen Roberts International Airport
Owen Roberts International Airport is located on the island of Grand Cayman in the Caribbean. There are several ways to get to the airport, depending on your location and preferences.
If you are staying in a hotel or resort on the island, many offer shuttle services to and from the airport. Check with your accommodations to see if this is an option.
Taxis are also readily available on the island and can be hailed from most locations. The ride to the airport from popular tourist areas such as Seven Mile Beach or George Town typically takes around 15-20 minutes.
If you prefer to have your own transportation, rental cars are available at the airport and throughout the island. Be sure to book in advance to ensure availability.
Finally, if you are arriving on a cruise ship, many cruise lines offer transportation to and from the airport as part of their packages. Check with your cruise line for more information.
No matter how you choose to get to Owen Roberts International Airport, be sure to allow plenty of time for traffic and security checkpoints. Safe travels!
Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport in the Cayman Islands, serving both domestic and international flights. If you are traveling to or from the airport, there are several transportation options available to you.
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient way to get to your destination. The fares are regulated by the government, and you can expect to pay around $20-$25 for a ride to George Town.
2. Car Rentals: There are several car rental companies located at the airport, including Avis, Budget, and Hertz. Renting a car is a great option if you plan on exploring the island on your own.
3. Shuttle Services: Several shuttle services operate from the airport, offering shared or private transfers to your destination. These services are often cheaper than taxis and can be a good option if you are traveling with a group.
4. Public Transportation: The public bus system in the Cayman Islands is limited, but there are buses that run from the airport to George Town and other destinations on the island. However, this option may not be the most convenient if you have a lot of luggage.
5. Private Drivers: If you prefer a more personalized service, you can hire a private driver to take you to your destination. This option is often more expensive than taxis or shuttle services, but it can be worth it if you want a more luxurious experience.
No matter which transportation option you choose, make sure to plan ahead and book in advance if possible to ensure a smooth and stress-free journey.
Owen Roberts International Airport offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking lot is located directly in front of the terminal building, making it the most convenient option for those who need to park for a short period of time. The first 15 minutes of parking are free, and the hourly rate is CI$2.
2. Long-term parking: This parking lot is located a short walk from the terminal building and is ideal for those who need to park for an extended period of time. The daily rate is CI$10, and there are discounts available for longer stays.
3. Premium parking: This parking lot is located closest to the terminal building and offers covered parking spaces. The daily rate is CI$20, and there are discounts available for longer stays.
4. Valet parking: This service is available for those who want the ultimate convenience. A valet attendant will park your car for you, and it will be waiting for you when you return. The daily rate is CI$25.
All of the car parking options at Owen Roberts International Airport are safe and secure, with 24-hour surveillance and regular patrols. Travelers can choose the option that best suits their needs and budget.
Car Rental at Owen Roberts International Airport
- Enterprise Rent-A-Car
Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport in the Cayman Islands, located on the largest island, Grand Cayman. The airport has two terminals, the main terminal and the Charles Kirkconnell International Airport (CKIA) terminal.
The main terminal is the larger of the two and serves most of the airlines that fly into the Cayman Islands. It has a modern design and offers a range of amenities for travelers, including duty-free shopping, restaurants, and lounges. The terminal also has a VIP lounge for those who want to enjoy a more exclusive experience.
The CKIA terminal is smaller and serves regional airlines that fly to and from the Cayman Islands. It has a more basic design but still offers essential amenities such as a restaurant and a small duty-free shop. The terminal is named after Charles Kirkconnell, a former Caymanian politician who played a significant role in the development of the airport.
Both terminals are equipped with modern facilities and provide a comfortable and efficient experience for travelers. The airport also offers a range of services such as baggage storage, currency exchange, and car rental facilities. Overall, Owen Roberts International Airport is a well-designed and well-equipped airport that provides a pleasant experience for travelers visiting the Cayman Islands.
1. Air Canada
2. American Airlines
3. British Airways
4. Caribbean Airlines
5. Cayman Airways
6. Delta Air Lines
7. JetBlue Airways
8. Southwest Airlines
9. United Airlines
Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport in the Cayman Islands and serves as a gateway for tourists and locals alike. The airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
All passengers are required to go through a security screening process before boarding their flight. This includes passing through metal detectors and having their carry-on luggage scanned. Any prohibited items, such as weapons or liquids over 3.4 ounces, are confiscated.
In addition to the standard security measures, the airport has also implemented advanced technology to enhance security. This includes full-body scanners that can detect hidden objects and explosives. The airport also has a canine unit that is trained to detect explosives and other dangerous substances.
The airport has a dedicated security team that works closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of everyone at the airport. They are trained to identify potential threats and take appropriate action to prevent any harm.
Overall, Owen Roberts International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. These protocols are regularly reviewed and updated to ensure they remain effective in the ever-changing security landscape.
Owen Roberts International Airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s friendly and knowledgeable staff are available to assist passengers with any questions or concerns they may have.
For passengers with disabilities or special needs, the airport provides wheelchair assistance, accessible restrooms, and designated parking spaces. Additionally, the airport offers a special assistance program for passengers with autism or other sensory processing disorders, which includes a quiet room and sensory-friendly amenities.
Passengers traveling with children can take advantage of the airport’s family-friendly amenities, such as a children’s play area and baby changing facilities. The airport also offers a pre-security lounge for families to relax and unwind before their flight.
For international travelers, the airport provides immigration and customs assistance, as well as currency exchange services. Passengers can also access free Wi-Fi throughout the airport and take advantage of the airport’s duty-free shopping options.
Overall, Owen Roberts International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as comfortable and convenient as possible for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport in the Cayman Islands, serving thousands of passengers every year. The airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Here are some of the shops and restaurants you can find at Owen Roberts International Airport:
1. Tortuga Rum Company: This shop offers a wide range of rum products, including rum cakes, rum fudge, and rum chocolates. You can also find souvenirs and gifts to take back home.
2. Island Jewellers: This shop offers a variety of jewelry, including diamonds, gold, and silver. You can also find watches and other accessories.
3. The Cayman Islands National Museum: This shop offers a range of souvenirs and gifts, including books, postcards, and local crafts.
4. Café Del Sol: This restaurant offers a variety of coffee, tea, and pastries. You can also find sandwiches, salads, and other light meals.
5. Island Deli: This restaurant offers a variety of sandwiches, salads, and other light meals. You can also find snacks and drinks.
6. Margaritaville: This restaurant offers a variety of burgers, sandwiches, and salads. You can also find cocktails and other drinks.
7. Subway: This restaurant offers a variety of sandwiches and salads. You can also find snacks and drinks.
8. Island Time Bar: This bar offers a variety of cocktails, beers, and other drinks. You can also find snacks and light meals.
Overall, Owen Roberts International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers. Whether you’re looking for souvenirs, jewelry, or a quick bite to eat, you’re sure to find something to suit your needs.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Owen Roberts International Airport in Grand Cayman offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection. Here are the locations of the prayer rooms and worship areas:
1. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – located on the second floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. This room is open to people of all faiths and provides a peaceful environment for prayer and meditation.
2. Christian Chapel – located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. This chapel is dedicated to Christian worship and features a cross, altar, and seating for up to 20 people.
3. Muslim Prayer Room – located on the second floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. This room is designated for Muslim prayer and features a prayer rug, Quran, and ablution facilities.
4. Jewish Prayer Room – located on the second floor of the airport terminal, near the departure gates. This room is designated for Jewish prayer and features a Torah, prayer books, and a menorah.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are open 24 hours a day and are free to use. They provide a quiet and peaceful space for passengers to practice their faith or seek a moment of reflection before their flight.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Owen Roberts International Airport in Grand Cayman offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that travelers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and check their emails, social media, or browse the web.
Workspace: For those who need to work or study while waiting for their flight, the airport offers several seating areas with power outlets and USB ports. These areas are equipped with comfortable chairs and tables, making them ideal for working on laptops or tablets.
Business Center: The airport also has a business center located in the departure lounge, which provides a quiet and private space for business travelers to work. The center is equipped with computers, printers, and fax machines, and offers a range of business services, including photocopying and scanning.
Meeting Rooms: For those who need to hold meetings or conferences, the airport has several meeting rooms available for rent. These rooms are equipped with audiovisual equipment and can accommodate up to 50 people.
Overall, Owen Roberts International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that travelers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport. Whether you need to work, study, or hold a meeting, the airport has everything you need to stay productive and connected.
Owen Roberts International Airport in Grand Cayman offers passengers a few options for lounges while they wait for their flight. Here are the lounges available:
- Delta Sky Club: Located at the departures area of the main terminal.
- Cayman Islands Airports Authority VIP Lounge: Located at the departures area of the main terminal.
- Priority Pass Lounge: Located at the departures area of the main terminal.
Accomodation Options Nearby Owen Roberts International Airport
Owen Roberts International Airport, located on Grand Cayman Island, provides a range of accommodation options to suit varying budgets and preferences. Whether you are seeking affordable comfort or indulgent luxury, there are several choices available nearby to make your stay pleasant and convenient. Here is a list of accommodation options at Owen Roberts International Airport, encompassing a range of prices and amenities:
1. Budget-friendly Hotels:
– Sunshine Suites Resort: Located just a short drive from the airport, this affordable hotel offers comfortable guest rooms, a pool, and a fitness center.
– Comfort Suites Seven Mile Beach: Situated in the heart of Grand Cayman’s financial district, Comfort Suites provides cozy rooms, complimentary breakfast, and proximity to local attractions.
2. Mid-range Hotels:
– Holiday Inn Resort Grand Cayman: This beachfront hotel boasts spacious rooms, excellent dining options, an outdoor pool, and direct access to Seven Mile Beach.
– Sunset House: Nestled on a cliff overlooking the Caribbean Sea, Sunset House offers comfortable rooms, a fantastic dive operation, and a popular ocean view restaurant.
3. Luxury Resorts:
– Kimpton Seafire Resort + Spa: A luxurious beachfront resort featuring modern amenities, elegant rooms with stunning sea views, a spa, several dining options, and a kids’ club.
– The Ritz-Carlton, Grand Cayman: Renowned for elegance and opulence, this resort offers lavish rooms, an exquisite spa, a golf course, multiple pools with waterfalls, and several gourmet dining experiences.
4. Vacation Rentals:
– Airbnb and VRBO: These platforms offer an extensive selection of private vacation rentals, allowing you to choose from apartments, condos, or houses, catering to different group sizes and budgets.
5. Airport Transit Hotel:
– Some airports have transit hotels located within the terminal, allowing passengers to obtain a few hours of rest in between flights. However, as of now, Owen Roberts International Airport does not have a dedicated transit hotel.
While all these accommodation options are not directly located within the airport premises, they are conveniently situated nearby, ensuring easy access to the airport and its facilities. Whether you are looking for affordability, mid-range comfort, or lavish indulgence, Owen Roberts International Airport caters to every traveler’s needs, promising a memorable stay on the beautiful island of Grand Cayman.
1. Seven Mile Beach: Located just a short drive from Owen Roberts International Airport, Seven Mile Beach is a pristine stretch of white sand and crystal-clear turquoise waters. Offering many water sports and relaxation opportunities, this beach is a must-visit for anyone looking to unwind after a flight.
2. Camana Bay: Situated adjacent to the airport, Camana Bay is a vibrant town center with a variety of shops, restaurants, and entertainment options. Stroll through its beautifully designed streets, enjoy a meal at one of the many upscale eateries, or catch a movie at the state-of-the-art cinema.
3. Pedro St. James National Historic Site: Recognized as the birthplace of democracy in the Cayman Islands, the Pedro St. James Historic Site is a magnificent restored plantation house. Explore its majestic grounds, learn about the island’s rich history, and soak in breathtaking panoramic views.
4. George Town: Just a short distance from the airport, George Town serves as the capital of the Cayman Islands. Discover its colorful Caribbean-style architecture, peruse duty-free shops, visit the National Museum, and experience the lively street market.
5. Snorkeling and Diving: Owen Roberts International Airport is conveniently located near several outstanding snorkeling and diving sites. Explore the vibrant coral reefs inhabited by a vast array of marine life, with options ranging from guided tours to DIY adventures.
6. Cayman Turtle Centre: A short drive away, the Cayman Turtle Centre offers an interactive experience with these marvelous creatures. Learn about their conservation efforts, enjoy a turtle encounter, and even swim with them in a spacious lagoon.
7. Hell: As peculiar as it sounds, Hell refers to a unique geological formation composed of black limestone formations, located near the airport. Visitors can send postcards postmarked from Hell and explore the fascinating rock formations.
8. Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park: A natural oasis, the Queen Elizabeth II Botanic Park showcases the beauty of Cayman’s native flora and fauna. Stroll through its well-manicured gardens, stroll along nature trails, and observe the colorful birdlife.
9. Kittiwake Shipwreck & Artificial Reef: Dive enthusiasts will be thrilled to explore the Kittiwake, a sunken US Navy submarine rescue vessel and artificial reef just off the coast of Seven Mile Beach. Discover a world of vibrant marine life and explore this unique underwater playground.
10. Rum Point: A short drive from the airport, Rum Point offers a serene and secluded Caribbean beach experience. Relax under the shade of hammocks, savor delicious local cuisine, and enjoy water sports like kayaking or paddleboarding in calm turquoise waters.
History of Owen Roberts International Airport
Owen Roberts International Airport is the main airport in the Cayman Islands, located on the largest island, Grand Cayman. The airport was named after Owen Roberts, a pioneer of aviation in the Cayman Islands. The airport was first opened in 1953, with a single runway and a small terminal building.
Over the years, the airport has undergone several expansions and renovations to accommodate the growing number of visitors to the island. In 1984, a new terminal building was constructed, which was further expanded in 2007 to include additional gates, lounges, and retail spaces.
In 2019, the airport underwent a major renovation project, which included the construction of a new baggage handling system, expanded immigration and customs facilities, and a new parking garage. The renovation also included the installation of new technology, such as biometric facial recognition, to improve the efficiency and security of the airport.
Today, Owen Roberts International Airport serves as a hub for several major airlines, including American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and British Airways. The airport handles over 1.4 million passengers annually and is a vital gateway to the Cayman Islands’ tourism industry.
Other Airports in Cayman Islands, Cayman Islands
- Edward Bodden Little Cayman Airfield
- Gerrard Smith International Airport
- Owen Roberts International Airport