Raleigh Durham International Airport is a major airport located in Morrisville, North Carolina. It serves the Research Triangle region of North Carolina, which includes Raleigh, Durham, and Chapel Hill. The airport offers a wide range of domestic and international flights, making it a convenient travel hub for both business and leisure travelers.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Raleigh Durham International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Raleigh Durham International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Raleigh Durham International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Raleigh Durham International Airport
- Other Airports in North Carolina, United States
How to Get to Raleigh Durham International Airport
Raleigh Durham International Airport is located in Morrisville, North Carolina, and is easily accessible by car, public transportation, or taxi. If you are driving, take I-40 to exit 284B and follow the signs to the airport. There are several parking options available, including hourly, daily, and economy parking.
If you prefer public transportation, the Triangle Transit Authority (TTA) offers bus service to the airport from various locations in the Triangle area. The TTA Route 100 bus runs every 30 minutes from the Regional Transit Center in downtown Raleigh to the airport. The fare is $2.25 per ride, and you can purchase tickets at the transit center or on the bus.
If you need a taxi, there are several companies that serve the airport, including RDU Taxi, Triangle Taxi, and Yellow Cab. The taxi stand is located outside of the baggage claim area, and fares vary depending on your destination. It is recommended to book a taxi in advance to avoid any delays or wait times.
Overall, getting to Raleigh Durham International Airport is easy and convenient, with several transportation options available to suit your needs. Whether you are driving, taking public transportation, or a taxi, you can arrive at the airport on time and stress-free.
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) is a major airport serving the Research Triangle region of North Carolina. It is located about 10 miles from downtown Raleigh and 15 miles from downtown Durham. If you are traveling to or from RDU, there are several transportation options available to you.
1. Taxi: Taxis are available at the airport 24/7. You can find them outside of the baggage claim area. The fare to downtown Raleigh or Durham is approximately $35-$40.
2. Ride-Sharing Services: Uber and Lyft are available at RDU. You can request a ride through their mobile apps. The fare to downtown Raleigh or Durham is approximately $25-$30.
3. Rental Cars: Several rental car companies have offices at RDU. You can rent a car at the airport and drive yourself to your destination. The rental car center is located adjacent to Terminal 1.
4. Shuttle Services: Several shuttle services operate at RDU. They offer shared rides to and from the airport. The fare varies depending on the destination and the number of passengers. Some popular shuttle services include Go Triangle, RDU Airport Shuttle, and Triangle Transit.
5. Public Transportation: The Triangle Transit Authority operates buses that connect RDU to downtown Raleigh and Durham. The fare is $2.25 per ride. You can find the bus stop outside of Terminal 1.
No matter which transportation option you choose, make sure to plan ahead and book your ride in advance if possible. This will help ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience.
Raleigh Durham International Airport offers several parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking options and their locations:
1. ParkRDU Central: This parking lot is located directly across from the terminal and is the closest parking option to the airport. It offers both covered and uncovered parking options.
2. ParkRDU Economy 3: This parking lot is located on National Guard Drive and offers a shuttle service to the terminal. It is a more affordable parking option for travelers.
3. ParkRDU Premier: This parking lot is located on West International Drive and offers covered parking options. It is a premium parking option for travelers who want to park closer to the terminal.
4. ParkRDU Express: This parking lot is located on Trade Drive and offers a shuttle service to the terminal. It is a convenient parking option for travelers who want to park for a short period of time.
5. ParkRDU Valet: This parking option is located directly in front of the terminal and offers valet parking services. It is a premium parking option for travelers who want to park closer to the terminal and have their car parked for them.
Overall, Raleigh Durham International Airport offers a variety of parking options to suit the needs and budgets of all travelers.
Car Rental at Raleigh Durham International Airport
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) has two main terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2. Terminal 1 is the older of the two and primarily serves low-cost carriers such as Southwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines. It has 19 gates and offers a variety of dining and shopping options, including local favorites like Bojangles’ Famous Chicken ‘n Biscuits and Videri Chocolate Factory.
Terminal 2, which opened in 2011, is the larger and more modern of the two terminals. It serves major airlines such as American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines, and has 36 gates. Terminal 2 also offers a wider range of amenities, including a variety of restaurants and shops, a spa, and a children’s play area.
Both terminals at RDU offer free Wi-Fi, charging stations, and comfortable seating areas. Additionally, there are several lounges available for travelers who want to relax in a more private setting. The airport also offers a variety of services for travelers with disabilities, including accessible parking, wheelchair assistance, and accessible restrooms.
Overall, RDU’s terminals provide a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers, with a range of amenities and services to meet their needs.
1. American Airlines
2. Delta Air Lines
3. Southwest Airlines
4. United Airlines
5. Alaska Airlines
6. Allegiant Air
7. Frontier Airlines
8. JetBlue Airways
9. Spirit Airlines
10. Air Canada
11. Delta Connection
12. United Express
13. American Eagle
14. Southwest Airlines Co.
15. Frontier Airlines Inc.
16. JetBlue Airways Corporation
17. Spirit Airlines Inc.
18. Air Canada Rouge
19. Allegiant Air LLC
20. Delta Air Lines Inc.
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) is committed to ensuring the safety and security of all passengers and employees. The airport has implemented a number of security protocols to achieve this goal.
One of the most visible security measures at RDU is the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) checkpoint. All passengers must pass through this checkpoint before boarding their flight. TSA agents use advanced imaging technology and other screening methods to detect prohibited items and potential threats. Passengers are also required to remove their shoes, belts, and jackets, and place all liquids and electronics in separate bins for screening.
In addition to the TSA checkpoint, RDU has a number of other security measures in place. The airport has a 24-hour security team that monitors the terminal and surrounding areas. There are also security cameras throughout the airport that are monitored by trained personnel. RDU also works closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure a quick response in the event of an emergency.
Overall, RDU takes security very seriously and is committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all passengers and employees. Passengers are encouraged to arrive at the airport early to allow time for the security screening process and to follow all TSA guidelines to ensure a smooth and efficient screening experience.
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) offers a variety of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and stress-free travel experience. The airport’s customer service representatives are available 24/7 to assist passengers with any questions or concerns they may have. Additionally, RDU offers a variety of accessibility services for passengers with disabilities, including wheelchair assistance and accessible parking.
For international travelers, RDU offers a Global Entry program, which allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. The airport also offers a TSA PreCheck program, which allows eligible passengers to enjoy expedited security screening.
RDU also provides a variety of amenities for travelers, including free Wi-Fi, charging stations, and a variety of dining and shopping options. The airport also offers a pet relief area and a nursing mothers’ room for passengers traveling with pets or young children.
Overall, Raleigh Durham International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to provide a comfortable and convenient travel experience for all passengers. Whether you need assistance with accessibility, customs clearance, or simply want to relax before your flight, RDU has you covered.
Shops and Restaurants
Raleigh Durham International Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to meet the needs of travelers. Here are some of the options available:
– CNBC News: This shop offers a variety of news and travel essentials, including magazines, books, snacks, and souvenirs.
– Hudson: Hudson is a convenience store that offers snacks, drinks, and travel essentials.
– InMotion Entertainment: This shop offers a variety of electronics, including headphones, chargers, and travel adapters.
– Swarovski: Swarovski offers a selection of jewelry, watches, and accessories.
– 42nd Street Oyster Bar: This restaurant offers a variety of seafood dishes, including oysters, shrimp, and crab cakes.
– Carolina Ale House: Carolina Ale House offers a selection of pub-style food, including burgers, wings, and sandwiches, as well as a variety of beers on tap.
– La Tapenade Mediterranean Cafe: This restaurant offers a selection of Mediterranean dishes, including falafel, hummus, and gyros.
– Starbucks: Starbucks offers a variety of coffee drinks, as well as pastries and sandwiches.
These are just a few of the shops and restaurants available at Raleigh Durham International Airport. Whether you’re looking for a quick snack or a sit-down meal, there are plenty of options to choose from.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Raleigh Durham International Airport offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection and meditation. Here are the prayer rooms and worship areas available at RDU and their locations:
1. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – Terminal 2, near Gate D1
The Multi-Faith Prayer Room is a quiet space for prayer and meditation that is open to people of all faiths. It features prayer mats, religious texts, and a peaceful atmosphere for reflection.
2. Chapel – Terminal 2, near Gate D1
The Chapel is a Christian worship area that offers a serene environment for prayer, reflection, and worship. It features a cross, religious texts, and comfortable seating for visitors.
3. Muslim Prayer Room – Terminal 2, near Gate D1
The Muslim Prayer Room is a dedicated space for Muslim passengers and visitors to perform their daily prayers. It features prayer mats, a Qibla direction indicator, and a peaceful atmosphere for prayer and reflection.
4. Reflection Room – Terminal 1, near Gate A10
The Reflection Room is a quiet space for meditation and reflection that is open to people of all faiths. It features comfortable seating, a peaceful atmosphere, and a calming view of the airport runway.
5. Meditation Room – Terminal 1, near Gate A10
The Meditation Room is a dedicated space for meditation and mindfulness practices. It features comfortable seating, a peaceful atmosphere, and a calming view of the airport runway.
Overall, RDU’s prayer rooms and worship areas provide a welcoming and inclusive environment for passengers and visitors of all faiths to practice their beliefs or seek a moment of peace and reflection.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Raleigh Durham International Airport offers a variety of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that travelers can stay connected and productive during their time at the airport.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and their devices. The WiFi network is easy to access and provides fast and reliable connectivity.
Workspace Facilities: For those who need to get work done while at the airport, there are several options available. The airport has a number of workstations located throughout the terminal, complete with power outlets and comfortable seating. These workstations are perfect for catching up on emails, finishing up a project, or simply taking a break from the hustle and bustle of the airport.
In addition, the airport also offers a number of private workspaces for rent. These spaces are equipped with desks, chairs, and power outlets, and are perfect for travelers who need a quiet and private space to work. The rental rates are affordable and the spaces can be reserved in advance, making it easy to plan ahead and ensure that you have a productive and comfortable workspace during your time at the airport.
Overall, Raleigh Durham International Airport provides excellent WiFi and workspace facilities, making it a great choice for travelers who need to stay connected and productive while on the go.
Raleigh Durham International Airport offers a selection of lounges to make your travel experience more comfortable and enjoyable. Here are the lounges available at the airport and where they are located:
- United Club: Located in Concourse B near Gate B1.
- Admirals Club: Located in Concourse C near Gate C4.
- Delta Sky Club: Located on the mezzanine level of Concourse D.
Accomodation Options Nearby Raleigh Durham International Airport
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) offers a range of accommodation options, catering to travelers with various budgets and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly stay or a luxurious experience, RDU has got you covered.
1. Airport Hotels: Travelers seeking convenience will find multiple hotels located near RDU. These on-site accommodations provide easy access to the airport terminals. Several options include the Hyatt Place Raleigh-Durham Airport, the Fairfield Inn & Suites RDU, and the Hilton Garden Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport.
2. Chains and Budget Hotels: Just a short distance from the airport, budget-friendly accommodations provide comfortable stays at affordable rates. Chain hotels like the Holiday Inn Express Raleigh-Durham Airport and the La Quinta Inn & Suites Raleigh-Durham Airport are ideal for travelers seeking value for money.
3. Extended Stay Hotels: For those needing a longer stay, extended stay hotels offer kitchenettes and other amenities to ensure a comfortable and flexible visit. The Residence Inn Raleigh-Durham Airport/Brier Creek and Extended Stay America Raleigh-Durham Airport are excellent options for travelers desiring a home-away-from-home experience.
4. Bed and Breakfasts: If you prefer a more intimate and homely atmosphere, consider staying at charming bed and breakfasts near RDU. The Arrowhead Inn, conveniently located near the airport, provides a cozy and personalized experience for guests.
5. Luxury and Upscale Hotels: Indulge in the finest accommodations near RDU at luxury hotels that offer top-notch services and amenities. The Umstead Hotel and Spa, located just minutes away from the airport, is a luxurious resort-style property offering a world-class spa, upscale dining, and elegant rooms.
6. Boutique and Unique Hotels: Find distinctive and stylish accommodations that offer a blend of comfort and individuality. The Renaissance Raleigh North Hills Hotel is a boutique hotel that provides a sophisticated and contemporary atmosphere, conveniently located near RDU.
7. Vacation Rentals: If you prefer the privacy and flexibility of a vacation rental, numerous options are available near RDU. Websites like Airbnb offer a wide range of fully furnished apartments, houses, and condos to suit all preferences and budgets.
Whether you’re searching for a quick overnight stay or a luxurious retreat, Raleigh Durham International Airport ensures a diverse range of accommodation options. Keep your preferences and budget in mind, and you’ll find the perfect place to rest and rejuvenate during your travels.
1. Umstead State Park: Just a short drive from Raleigh-Durham International Airport, Umstead State Park offers over 5,000 acres of breathtaking scenery, including hiking trails, fishing spots, and picnic areas.
2. North Carolina Museum of Art: Located within a 15-minute drive from the airport, the North Carolina Museum of Art houses an impressive collection of artworks spanning centuries and boasts stunning outdoor art installations.
3. Research Triangle Park: Situated adjacent to the airport, Research Triangle Park is a thriving hub of innovation with numerous technology companies, research facilities, and office spaces.
4. PNC Arena: Sports enthusiasts can catch a game or concert at PNC Arena, which hosts professional basketball, hockey, and other entertainment events, making it a popular destination for locals and visitors alike.
5. Marbles Kids Museum: Ideal for families traveling with children, Marbles Kids Museum is an interactive wonderland where kids can explore imaginative exhibits, participate in hands-on activities, and learn through play.
6. Raleigh City Market: Just a short distance from the airport, Raleigh City Market is a vibrant shopping district featuring local vendors offering unique art, jewelry, clothing, and delicious food.
7. Historic Oakwood: Within close proximity to downtown Raleigh and the airport, Historic Oakwood is a beautifully preserved neighborhood showcasing stunning Victorian-style homes, gardens, and historic landmarks.
8. Durham Performing Arts Center: Located in the heart of Durham, the Durham Performing Arts Center is a premier performance venue hosting Broadway shows, concerts by world-renowned artists, and other cultural events.
9. Durham Bulls Athletic Park: Baseball fans should not miss catching a game at Durham Bulls Athletic Park, home to the Durham Bulls Minor League Baseball team and known for its picturesque ballpark and lively atmosphere.
10. North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences: A short drive from the airport, the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences offers an array of engaging exhibits and educational displays on wildlife, geology, and natural history.
History of Raleigh Durham International Airport
Raleigh Durham International Airport (RDU) is located in Morrisville, North Carolina, and serves the Research Triangle region of the state. The airport was originally built in 1939 as Raleigh Municipal Airport, with a single runway and a small terminal building. In the 1950s, the airport was renamed Raleigh-Durham Airport and began to expand, adding a second runway and a larger terminal building.
In the 1970s, the airport underwent a major renovation and expansion, with the addition of a third runway and a new terminal building. The airport was renamed Raleigh-Durham International Airport in 1982, reflecting its growing importance as a regional hub. In the 1990s, the airport continued to expand, with the addition of a fourth runway and a new parking garage.
Today, RDU is one of the fastest-growing airports in the country, serving over 12 million passengers annually. The airport is home to over 40 airlines, including major carriers such as American Airlines, Delta Air Lines, and United Airlines. RDU is also a major hub for low-cost carriers such as Southwest Airlines and Frontier Airlines. With its modern facilities and convenient location, Raleigh Durham International Airport is an important gateway to the Research Triangle region and beyond.
Other Airports in North Carolina, United States
- Albert J Ellis Airport
- Asheville Regional Airport
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport
- Cherry Point MCAS /Cunningham Field/
- Coastal Carolina Regional Airport
- Concord-Padgett Regional Airport
- Elizabeth City Regional Airport & Coast Guard Air Station
- Fayetteville Regional Airport – Grannis Field
- Hickory Regional Airport
- Kinston Regional Jetport At Stallings Field
- Lumberton Regional Airport
- MCAS New River / McCutcheon Field
- Piedmont Triad International Airport
- Pitt Greenville Airport
- Pope Field
- Raleigh Durham International Airport
- Rocky Mount Wilson Regional Airport
- Seymour Johnson Air Force Base
- Simmons Army Air Field
- Smith Reynolds Airport
- Wilmington International Airport