Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is the main airport serving Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is named after the famous Brazilian musician Tom Jobim and is located on Governador Island, approximately 20 km from the city center. The airport is one of the busiest in Brazil, handling millions of passengers every year.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
- Other Airports in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
How to Get to Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is located in the northern part of Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. There are several ways to get to the airport, including public transportation, taxi, and private car.
If you are taking public transportation, the most convenient option is the BRT (Bus Rapid Transit) system. There are several BRT lines that connect to the airport, including the TransCarioca and TransOlímpica lines. The BRT station is located just outside the airport terminal, and tickets can be purchased at the station or on board the bus.
Taxis are also readily available at the airport, and there is a designated taxi stand just outside the terminal. It is important to only use licensed taxis, which are easily identifiable by their yellow color and official markings. The fare to the city center is fixed and should be displayed on a sign at the taxi stand.
If you prefer to drive, there are several parking options at the airport, including short-term and long-term parking. The airport is located just off the Linha Vermelha highway, which connects to the city center and other major highways in the area.
Overall, getting to Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is relatively easy and convenient, with several transportation options available to suit your needs and budget.
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is the main airport serving Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. It is located approximately 20 km from the city center and offers a variety of transportation options for travelers.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient option for travelers. The fare is metered and can vary depending on the destination and time of day.
2. Uber: Uber is also available at the airport and is a popular option for travelers. The fare is calculated based on the distance and time of the trip.
3. Bus: There are several bus routes that connect the airport to different parts of the city. The fare is affordable and the buses are comfortable and air-conditioned.
4. Shuttle: Shuttle services are available at the airport and can be booked in advance or on arrival. They offer a convenient and comfortable way to travel to your destination.
5. Car rental: Several car rental companies have offices at the airport, and renting a car is a good option for travelers who want to explore the city on their own.
6. Metro: The metro system in Rio de Janeiro is extensive and offers a convenient way to travel around the city. The airport is connected to the metro system, and travelers can take the metro to different parts of the city.
In conclusion, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a variety of transportation options for travelers, including taxis, Uber, buses, shuttles, car rentals, and the metro. Travelers can choose the option that best suits their needs and budget.
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers several car parking options for passengers and visitors. Here are the different car parking options and their locations:
1. Premium Parking: This is the closest parking option to the airport terminal, located just a few steps away from the check-in area. It is ideal for those who want quick and easy access to the airport. The Premium Parking area is covered and has 24-hour security.
2. Standard Parking: This is a more affordable parking option located a short walk from the airport terminal. It is ideal for those who are looking for a budget-friendly parking option. The Standard Parking area is also covered and has 24-hour security.
3. Long-Term Parking: This is the best option for those who need to park their car for an extended period of time. The Long-Term Parking area is located a bit further from the airport terminal, but it is still easily accessible by shuttle bus. The area is uncovered but has 24-hour security.
4. Valet Parking: This is a convenient parking option for those who want to save time and hassle. The Valet Parking area is located right in front of the airport terminal, and a valet attendant will park your car for you. This service is available 24/7.
Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a variety of car parking options to suit different needs and budgets. All parking areas are safe and secure, with 24-hour surveillance and regular patrols.
Car Rental at Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is the main airport serving Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are connected by a free shuttle bus service. Terminal 1 is the older of the two terminals and is used primarily for domestic flights. It has 26 gates and is capable of handling up to 9 million passengers per year.
Terminal 2 is the newer and larger of the two terminals, and is used for both domestic and international flights. It has 26 gates and is capable of handling up to 13 million passengers per year. The terminal is divided into two levels, with the lower level used for arrivals and the upper level used for departures.
Both terminals offer a range of services and amenities for passengers, including restaurants, cafes, shops, and duty-free stores. There are also several lounges available for passengers who want to relax or work before their flight. The airport also offers free Wi-Fi throughout both terminals, as well as charging stations for electronic devices. Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport provides a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers passing through Rio de Janeiro.
1. Aerolineas Argentinas
2. Air Canada
3. Air Europa
4. Air France
6. American Airlines
8. Azul Brazilian Airlines
9. British Airways
10. Copa Airlines
11. Delta Air Lines
13. Ethiopian Airlines
14. GOL Airlines
16. KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
17. LATAM Airlines
19. Norwegian Air Shuttle
20. Qatar Airways
21. Royal Air Maroc
22. South African Airways
23. Swiss International Air Lines
24. TAP Air Portugal
25. Turkish Airlines
26. United Airlines
27. Virgin Atlantic Airways
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Brazil, serving millions of passengers every year. As such, the airport has implemented strict security protocols to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff.
The airport has a comprehensive security system that includes CCTV cameras, metal detectors, X-ray machines, and explosive detection systems. All passengers and their luggage are screened before boarding their flights. The airport also has a team of trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring the security systems and ensuring that all protocols are followed.
In addition to the standard security measures, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport has implemented additional measures to combat the spread of COVID-19. Passengers are required to wear masks at all times, and social distancing measures are in place throughout the airport. The airport has also increased the frequency of cleaning and disinfecting procedures to ensure that all areas of the airport are kept clean and safe.
Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers and staff. Passengers can feel confident that they are in good hands when traveling through this airport.
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Brazil, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience, the airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services. These services are designed to cater to the needs of passengers with disabilities, families with children, and those who require special assistance.
The airport’s traveler’s assistance services include wheelchair assistance, special assistance for passengers with disabilities, and assistance for families with children. The airport also has a dedicated team of staff who are trained to provide assistance to passengers who require special attention. These staff members are available throughout the airport and can be easily identified by their uniforms.
In addition to these services, the airport also offers a range of amenities to make the travel experience more comfortable. These amenities include lounges, restaurants, and shops. The airport also has a medical center, pharmacy, and a post office. Passengers can also access free Wi-Fi throughout the airport, making it easy to stay connected while traveling. Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to ensure that passengers have a stress-free and enjoyable travel experience.
Shops and Restaurants
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is a bustling hub for travelers from all over the world. The airport offers a wide range of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of its passengers. Here are some of the top shops and restaurants at Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport:
1. Duty-Free: This shop offers a wide range of products, including cosmetics, perfumes, alcohol, and tobacco, at tax-free prices.
2. Havaianas: This Brazilian brand is famous for its colorful and comfortable flip-flops. The shop offers a variety of designs and sizes for men, women, and children.
3. Montblanc: This luxury brand offers a range of high-end writing instruments, leather goods, and accessories.
4. Sunglass Hut: This shop offers a wide range of sunglasses from top brands like Ray-Ban, Oakley, and Prada.
5. Souvenir shops: These shops offer a variety of Brazilian souvenirs, including T-shirts, keychains, magnets, and other items.
1. Starbucks: This popular coffee chain offers a range of coffee, tea, and snacks.
2. Burger King: This fast-food chain offers a range of burgers, fries, and soft drinks.
3. Spoleto: This Italian restaurant offers a range of pasta dishes, salads, and sandwiches.
4. Koni Store: This Japanese restaurant offers a range of sushi, sashimi, and other Japanese dishes.
5. Casa do Pão de Queijo: This Brazilian bakery offers a range of bread, pastries, and snacks, including the famous Brazilian cheese bread.
Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a great shopping and dining experience for travelers. Whether you’re looking for luxury brands or fast food, there’s something for everyone at this airport.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers who wish to practice their faith or seek a quiet space for reflection and meditation. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Multi-Faith Prayer Room – Terminal 2, Level 2, near Gate D40
This prayer room is open to people of all faiths and provides a peaceful environment for prayer, meditation, and reflection. It is equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and seating arrangements.
2. Catholic Chapel – Terminal 1, Level 2, near Gate B23
This chapel is dedicated to the Virgin Mary and offers a space for Catholic passengers to attend mass, pray, and light candles. It is open daily from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
3. Evangelical Chapel – Terminal 2, Level 2, near Gate D40
This chapel is designed for Evangelical Christians and provides a space for prayer, worship, and Bible study. It is open daily from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm.
4. Muslim Prayer Room – Terminal 2, Level 2, near Gate D40
This prayer room is exclusively for Muslim passengers and provides a space for prayer, ablution, and reading the Quran. It is equipped with prayer mats, a Qibla direction indicator, and a washroom.
5. Jewish Prayer Room – Terminal 2, Level 2, near Gate D40
This prayer room is dedicated to Jewish passengers and provides a space for prayer, Torah study, and reflection. It is equipped with prayer books, a Torah scroll, and a washroom.
Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a range of prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the diverse religious needs of its passengers. These facilities are well-maintained, clean, and provide a peaceful environment for spiritual practices.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels.
WiFi: The airport provides free WiFi throughout the terminal, allowing passengers to stay connected to the internet and their devices. The WiFi is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the web, check emails, and stay in touch with friends and family.
Workspace: For those who need to work while at the airport, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a number of workspace options. There are several lounges located throughout the terminal that provide comfortable seating, workstations, and charging points. These lounges are available to passengers for a fee or as part of a membership program.
In addition, the airport also has a number of cafes and restaurants that offer seating and WiFi, making them ideal places to work or relax. Some of these establishments even have private meeting rooms that can be reserved for business meetings or conference calls.
Overall, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport provides a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure that passengers can stay connected and productive during their travels. Whether you need to catch up on work or simply want to browse the web, the airport has everything you need to stay connected.
The Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is home to a number of lounge options for travelers looking to relax before their flight. Here is a list of the lounges and their locations:
- Orient Express Lounge – Located in the International Terminal, Level 2, Departure Hall.
- LATAM VIP Lounge – Located in the International Terminal, Level 2, Departure Hall.
- Lounge Primeira Classe – Located in the International Terminal, Level 2, Departure Hall.
- Lounge Primeira Classe – Located in the Domestic Terminal, Level 2, Departure Hall.
- Star Alliance Lounge – Located in the Domestic Terminal, Level 2, Departure Hall.
- Blue Lounge – Located in the Domestic Terminal, Level 3, Departure Hall.
Accomodation Options Nearby Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offers a variety of accommodation options to cater to the diverse needs of travelers. Whether you are seeking budget-friendly accommodations or luxurious retreats, this airport has something for everyone.
1. Sleep pods/capsules: For budget-conscious travelers or those with long layovers, sleep pods or capsules are available within the airport. These compact sleeping spaces provide a comfortable resting area, equipped with a bed, lighting, and charging facilities, allowing you to recharge and relax before your next flight.
2. Transit hotels: Rio Galeao Airport has transit hotels located conveniently within the terminal. These hotels offer comfortable rooms for short stays, allowing you to rest and rejuvenate during layovers or delayed flights. These options provide essential amenities such as Wi-Fi, comfortable beds, and 24-hour room service.
3. Airport hotels: Just a short distance from Rio Galeao Airport, several hotels cater to travelers seeking a more extensive range of facilities and services. These hotels vary in price and style, offering a suitable choice for every budget. Some of these hotels provide complimentary shuttle services to and from the airport for added convenience.
4. Economy hotels: If you prefer to venture outside the airport vicinity, there are numerous economy hotels located within a short driving distance from Rio Galeao Airport. These hotels offer affordable rates while providing comfortable rooms, amenities such as Wi-Fi, breakfast options, and some may even have swimming pools or fitness centers.
5. Mid-range hotels: For those seeking a balance between affordability and comfort, mid-range hotels in the vicinity of the airport are a great option. These hotels provide high-quality facilities, spacious rooms, fitness centers, on-site dining options, and additional services like airport transfers.
6. Luxury hotels: If you are looking for a luxurious experience, Rio Galeao Airport offers upscale hotels that boast world-class amenities, stunning views, fine dining options, spa services, and fitness centers. These hotels are perfect for discerning travelers who prioritize luxury and convenience.
Please note that specific hotel offerings and availability may vary, so it’s recommended to check the official Rio Galeao Airport website or dedicated hotel booking platforms for up-to-date information and reservations.
Regardless of your budget or travel needs, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport ensures that you have a range of accommodation options to choose from for a comfortable and relaxing stay during your time at the airport.
1. Cristo Redentor (Christ the Redeemer): Located atop Corcovado Mountain, this iconic statue is one of the Seven New Wonders of the World. Enjoy breathtaking panoramic views of Rio de Janeiro from its viewing platform.
2. Copacabana Beach: One of the world’s most famous beaches, Copacabana offers a vibrant atmosphere, golden sand, and crystal-clear waters. Enjoy water sports, beach volleyball, or simply relax under the Brazilian sun.
3. Sugarloaf Mountain: A must-visit attraction, Sugarloaf Mountain grants visitors unforgettable views of Rio de Janeiro. Take a cable car ride to the top, passing over lush rainforest and enjoying spectacular vistas of the city and its surrounding beaches.
4. Maracanã Stadium: For sports enthusiasts, a visit to the legendary Maracanã Stadium is a must. Watch a football match or take a guided tour to learn about Brazil’s rich football history.
5. Tijuca National Park: As one of the largest urban forests in the world, Tijuca National Park is an oasis of nature within the city. Explore its hiking trails and discover waterfalls, diverse flora and fauna, and breathtaking viewpoints.
6. Botanical Garden: Founded in 1808, the Rio de Janeiro Botanical Garden is a splendid green space home to a vast collection of tropical plants and orchids. Stroll along its pathways and appreciate the beauty of nature.
7. Santa Teresa Neighborhood: Known for its bohemian vibes, Santa Teresa is a charming neighborhood with narrow streets, colorful houses, and art galleries. Explore its artistic scene, visit the Selarón Steps, and enjoy a delicious meal in one of its trendy restaurants.
8. Lapa Arches: This architectural masterpiece is a symbol of Rio de Janeiro and the gateway to the lively Lapa neighborhood. By night, the area transforms into a popular nightlife district with samba clubs, live music, and vibrant bars.
9. The Museum of Tomorrow: Located in the vibrant port area, this futuristic museum explores the challenges and possibilities of the future. Its interactive exhibits and cutting-edge architecture make it a fascinating attraction for science and technology enthusiasts.
10. Niterói Contemporary Art Museum: If you have time for a short ferry ride across Guanabara Bay, don’t miss this eye-catching museum designed by renowned architect Oscar Niemeyer. The museum houses an impressive collection of modern and contemporary art, complemented by stunning views of Rio from its external terraces.
These attractions near Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport offer a diverse range of experiences, from exploring natural wonders to immersing yourself in Brazil’s rich cultural heritage. As you venture out from the airport, these attractions will undoubtedly create unforgettable memories of your time in Rio de Janeiro.
History of Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport, formerly known as Galeão International Airport, is the main airport serving Rio de Janeiro, Brazil. The airport was named after the famous Brazilian musician Tom Jobim in 1999, who was one of the pioneers of the Bossa Nova music genre.
The airport was originally built in 1952 to replace the old Santos Dumont Airport, which was located in the city center and had limited capacity. The new airport was named after the nearby Galeão Beach, which was a popular destination for locals and tourists.
Over the years, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport has undergone several expansions and renovations to keep up with the growing demand for air travel. In 2014, the airport underwent a major renovation in preparation for the 2016 Summer Olympics, which were held in Rio de Janeiro. The renovation included the construction of a new terminal, an expanded runway, and improved facilities for passengers and airlines.
Today, Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Brazil, serving millions of passengers each year. The airport is a hub for several major airlines, including LATAM Brasil, Gol Transportes Aéreos, and Azul Brazilian Airlines, and offers flights to destinations throughout Brazil and around the world.
Other Airports in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
- Bartolomeu Lisandro Airport
- Campo Delio Jardim de Mattos Airport
- Macae Benedito Lacerda Airport
- Rio Galeao – Tom Jobim International Airport
- Santa Cruz Air Force Base
- Santos Dumont Airport
- Umberto Modiano Airport