Roland Garros Airport is an international airport located in Sainte-Marie, Réunion. It is the main airport serving the island of Réunion and is named after the French aviator Roland Garros. The airport handles both domestic and international flights and is a hub for Air Austral.
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Roland Garros Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Roland Garros Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Roland Garros Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Roland Garros Airport
- Other Airports in Reunion, Reunion
How to Get to Roland Garros Airport
Roland Garros Airport is located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island. To get to the airport, there are several transportation options available.
The most convenient way to get to Roland Garros Airport is by taxi. Taxis are readily available throughout the island and can be hailed on the street or booked in advance. The journey from Saint-Denis, the capital city, to the airport takes approximately 15 minutes and costs around 20 euros.
Another option is to take the public bus. The bus service is operated by Car Jaune and runs from various locations on the island to the airport. The bus fare is affordable, but the journey time can be longer than taking a taxi.
If you prefer to drive, there are several car rental companies located at the airport. You can rent a car and drive to the airport, or drop off your rental car at the airport before your flight. The airport is well signposted and easy to navigate.
In summary, getting to Roland Garros Airport is easy and convenient. You can take a taxi, public bus, or rent a car to get to the airport. Choose the option that suits your budget and travel preferences.
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, offers several transportation options for travelers to reach their destination. Here are the different modes of transportation available:
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at the airport and are a convenient way to reach your destination. The taxi stand is located outside the terminal building, and the fare is based on the distance traveled.
2. Car Rental: Several car rental companies have their offices at the airport, and travelers can rent a car to explore the island at their own pace. The rental rates vary depending on the type of car and the duration of the rental.
3. Shuttle Services: Shuttle services are available for travelers who want to reach their hotel or other destinations on the island. These services can be pre-booked or arranged at the airport.
4. Public Transportation: Public buses are available from the airport to different parts of the island. The bus stop is located outside the terminal building, and the fare is affordable.
5. Private Transfers: Private transfers are also available for travelers who want a more comfortable and personalized experience. These services can be pre-booked or arranged at the airport.
In conclusion, Roland Garros Airport offers several transportation options for travelers to reach their destination on Reunion Island. Whether you prefer taxis, car rentals, shuttle services, public transportation, or private transfers, there is an option that suits your needs and budget.
Roland Garros Airport offers several car parking options for passengers. Here are the different car parking areas and their locations:
1. P0 – Covered Parking: This car park is located directly in front of the terminal building and is ideal for short-term parking. It offers 1,000 parking spaces and is open 24/7.
2. P1 – Long Stay Parking: This car park is located a short walk from the terminal building and is ideal for long-term parking. It offers 1,500 parking spaces and is open 24/7.
3. P2 – Economy Parking: This car park is located a little further from the terminal building and is ideal for budget-conscious travelers. It offers 1,000 parking spaces and is open 24/7.
4. P3 – Premium Parking: This car park is located closest to the terminal building and is ideal for passengers who want the convenience of being close to the terminal. It offers 200 parking spaces and is open 24/7.
All car parks at Roland Garros Airport are secure and monitored by CCTV cameras. Passengers can pay for parking at the automated payment machines located in each car park.
Car Rental at Roland Garros Airport
Roland Garros Airport is the main airport serving the French overseas department of Réunion Island. The airport has two terminals, Terminal 1 and Terminal 2, which are located within walking distance of each other. Terminal 1 is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights, while Terminal 2 is used exclusively for regional flights.
Terminal 1 is a modern and spacious terminal that offers a range of facilities and services for passengers. The terminal has a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as duty-free shopping for international passengers. There are also several lounges available for passengers who want to relax before their flight, including a VIP lounge and a business lounge.
Terminal 2 is a smaller terminal that is primarily used for regional flights to nearby islands such as Mauritius and Madagascar. The terminal has a small selection of shops and cafes, as well as a lounge for passengers. Despite its smaller size, Terminal 2 is still a modern and well-equipped terminal that provides a comfortable and convenient experience for passengers.
Overall, Roland Garros Airport’s terminals are modern, well-equipped, and provide a range of facilities and services for passengers. Whether you are traveling domestically or internationally, the airport’s terminals offer a comfortable and convenient experience for all passengers.
1. Air France
2. Air Corsica
8. Wizz Air
9. Aegean Airlines
10. ASL Airlines France
11. Chalair Aviation
14. TAP Air Portugal
15. Twin Jet.
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, is a French airport that serves both domestic and international flights. The airport has strict security protocols in place to ensure the safety of passengers and staff.
All passengers are required to go through security screening before boarding their flight. This includes passing through metal detectors and having their carry-on luggage scanned. Any prohibited items, such as weapons or liquids over 100ml, will be confiscated.
In addition to the standard security measures, Roland Garros Airport also has a team of trained security personnel who monitor the airport and its surroundings. They use advanced technology, such as CCTV cameras and facial recognition software, to identify potential threats and prevent unauthorized access to restricted areas.
The airport also has a dedicated security team that works closely with local law enforcement agencies to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. They conduct regular security drills and training sessions to ensure that all staff members are prepared to handle any emergency situations that may arise.
Overall, Roland Garros Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all those who pass through its doors. Passengers can rest assured that they are in good hands when traveling through this airport.
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience. The airport provides assistance to passengers with reduced mobility, including wheelchair assistance and dedicated parking spaces. The airport also offers a special assistance service for passengers with visual or hearing impairments.
For families traveling with young children, Roland Garros Airport provides baby changing facilities, a children’s play area, and strollers for rent. Additionally, the airport has a dedicated family lane at security checkpoints to make the process easier and faster for families.
Passengers can also take advantage of the airport’s VIP lounge, which offers a comfortable and relaxing environment with complimentary snacks and beverages, free Wi-Fi, and a range of other amenities. The airport also has a duty-free shopping area, restaurants, and cafes for passengers to enjoy before their flight.
Overall, Roland Garros Airport’s traveler’s assistance services aim to provide a stress-free and enjoyable travel experience for all passengers. The airport’s friendly and helpful staff are always on hand to assist with any queries or concerns, ensuring that passengers feel comfortable and well taken care of throughout their journey.
Shops and Restaurants
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Relay: This shop offers a wide range of newspapers, magazines, books, and snacks for travelers to purchase before their flight.
2. Aelia Duty-Free: This duty-free shop offers a variety of products such as perfumes, cosmetics, alcohol, and tobacco at tax-free prices.
3. Boutique Air Austral: This shop offers a selection of souvenirs, clothing, and accessories related to the airline Air Austral.
1. Le Bar de l’Ouest: This restaurant offers a variety of dishes inspired by Creole cuisine, as well as a selection of cocktails and drinks.
2. Le Comptoir: This restaurant offers a range of sandwiches, salads, and hot dishes, as well as a selection of drinks and desserts.
3. Starbucks: This popular coffee chain offers a selection of coffee, tea, and snacks for travelers to enjoy before their flight.
Overall, Roland Garros Airport offers a variety of shops and restaurants to cater to the needs of travelers, whether they are looking for a quick snack or a full meal before their flight.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, offers prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of its passengers. Here are the locations of these facilities:
1. Muslim Prayer Room – The Muslim prayer room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the boarding gates. It is open 24/7 and can accommodate up to 50 people.
2. Christian Chapel – The Christian chapel is located on the ground floor of the airport terminal, near the baggage claim area. It is open from 6:00 am to 10:00 pm and can accommodate up to 20 people.
3. Meditation Room – The meditation room is located on the first floor of the airport terminal, near the boarding gates. It is open 24/7 and can accommodate up to 10 people.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are equipped with prayer mats, religious texts, and other necessary amenities. Passengers of all faiths are welcome to use these facilities for their spiritual needs.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Roland Garros Airport, located in Sainte-Marie, Reunion Island, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flight. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
For passengers who need to work or study during their layover, Roland Garros Airport offers several workspace facilities. The airport has a business center equipped with computers, printers, and high-speed internet access. Passengers can use these facilities to complete their work assignments, print important documents, or access online resources.
In addition, the airport has several comfortable seating areas with power outlets, allowing passengers to charge their devices while working or relaxing. The seating areas are located throughout the terminal building, providing passengers with plenty of options to choose from.
Overall, Roland Garros Airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities are designed to meet the needs of modern travelers. Whether you need to stay connected with your work or simply want to browse the internet, the airport has everything you need to make your travel experience as comfortable and productive as possible.
Roland Garros Airport offers a variety of lounges for travelers to relax in comfort before their flight. The following list features the different lounges and their locations.
- Air France Lounge – Hall A
- VIP Lounge – Hall A
- Air Mauritius Lounge – Hall B
- Air Madagascar Lounge – Hall B
- Air Austral Lounge – Hall B
- Air Corsica Lounge – Hall B
Accomodation Options Nearby Roland Garros Airport
There are a few accommodation options available near Roland Garros Airport, catering to various budgets and preferences. Whether you’re looking for a budget-friendly stay or prefer luxurious accommodations, there’s something for everyone. Here are some options to consider:
1. Budget-friendly options:
– Guesthouses: There are several guesthouses in the vicinity of the airport that offer affordable rates, clean rooms, and basic amenities. These are ideal for travelers on a tight budget.
– Budget Hotels: Some hotels located near the airport provide affordable rates, without compromising on comfort. They offer essential amenities such as comfortable beds, private bathrooms, and complimentary Wi-Fi.
2. Mid-range options:
– Independent Hotels: Numerous independent hotels in the area offer comfortable rooms with additional amenities like breakfast, free parking, and airport transfer services.
– Bed and Breakfasts: Experience local hospitality and cozy accommodations at nearby bed and breakfasts. These establishments often include a delicious breakfast selection and personalized service.
3. Upscale/Luxury options:
– 4- or 5-Star Hotels: For those seeking a luxurious stay, several high-end hotels are available nearby. These establishments boast spacious rooms, elegant decor, on-site gourmet restaurants, swimming pools, spas, and fitness centers.
– Resorts: Enjoy a blissful vacation experience by choosing a resort near Roland Garros Airport. These upscale properties often feature private villas, stunning ocean views, world-class dining options, spa facilities, and access to exclusive beaches.
It is recommended to book accommodations in advance, as availability may vary and depend on the time of the year. Always consider factors such as location, proximity to the airport, and specific preferences while selecting the right accommodation for your stay near Roland Garros Airport.
1. Château de Versailles – Located just a short drive from Roland Garros Airport, Château de Versailles is a grand palace known for its stunning architecture, beautiful gardens, and rich historical significance. Visitors can explore the opulent rooms, admire the Hall of Mirrors, and stroll through the expansive gardens.
2. Palace of Saint-Cloud – Another regal destination near the airport, the Palace of Saint-Cloud was the summer residence of French emperors and has a fascinating history. Although the palace was destroyed during the Franco-Prussian war, visitors can still enjoy the beautifully landscaped park and gardens that surround its former grounds.
3. Bois de Boulogne – A tranquil escape in the heart of Paris, Bois de Boulogne is a vast park that offers various recreational activities. Visitors can enjoy peaceful walks, rent a boat to explore the lakes, or even go horseback riding. The park also houses several attractions, including the Parc de Bagatelle and the Jardin d’Acclimatation.
4. Parc des Princes – Sports enthusiasts can catch an exciting football match at Parc des Princes. This iconic stadium is home to Paris Saint-Germain Football Club and has a seating capacity of over 47,000 spectators. The atmosphere and passion of the fans make for an unforgettable experience.
5. Musée National de la Renaissance – Located in the nearby town of Écouen, this museum houses an impressive collection of Renaissance art and artifacts. Visitors can admire paintings, sculptures, and decorative arts from this influential period in European history.
6. Parc de Sceaux – Just a short drive from the airport, Parc de Sceaux offers a picturesque setting for a leisurely stroll. The park features expansive lawns, elegant fountains, and perfectly manicured flower beds. It’s the ideal place to relax, have a picnic, or enjoy outdoor recreational activities.
7. Pavillon des Indes – Set within the Parc de l’Indépendance, the Pavillon des Indes is a striking architectural gem. This 18th-century Indian-themed pavilion offers a glimpse into French Colonial history and hosts exhibitions on Indian art, culture, and heritage.
8. Domaine National de Saint-Cloud – Another magnificent park near the airport, the Domaine National de Saint-Cloud offers beautiful landscapes, hidden gardens, and panoramic views of Paris. The park is also known for hosting numerous cultural events, such as music festivals and open-air concerts.
9. Parc André-Citroën – Situated on the banks of the Seine River, Parc André-Citroën is a modern park with futuristic design elements. Visitors can enjoy its thematic gardens, hot air balloon rides, and scenic views of the city.
10. Fondation Louis Vuitton – For art lovers, the Fondation Louis Vuitton is a must-visit attraction near Roland Garros Airport. Designed by renowned architect Frank Gehry, this contemporary art museum showcases an impressive collection of contemporary and modern art exhibitions.
These attractions near Roland Garros Airport offer a diverse range of experiences, from exploring historical palaces and museums to enjoying peaceful parklands and cultural events. Whether you’re interested in history, art, or simply seeking a tranquil escape, these options are sure to delight visitors of all ages and interests.
History of Roland Garros Airport
Roland Garros Airport, also known as Saint-Denis-Gillot Airport, is located in the French overseas department of Réunion Island. The airport was named after Roland Garros, a French aviator who was the first person to fly across the Mediterranean Sea.
The airport was originally built in 1929 as a military airfield, and it was used by the French Air Force during World War II. After the war, the airport was converted into a civilian airport and opened to commercial flights in 1967.
Over the years, Roland Garros Airport has undergone several renovations and expansions to accommodate the growing number of passengers. In 2005, a new terminal was built to replace the old one, which was no longer able to handle the increasing traffic. The new terminal has modern facilities and can handle up to 2 million passengers per year.
Today, Roland Garros Airport is the main gateway to Réunion Island, serving both domestic and international flights. It is a hub for Air Austral, the island’s largest airline, and is also served by several other airlines, including Air France, Corsair, and Air Mauritius. The airport plays a vital role in the island’s economy, connecting Réunion to the rest of the world and facilitating tourism and trade.
Other Airports in Reunion, Reunion