Sila Airport is a domestic airport located in the Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea. It serves as a crucial transportation hub, connecting the local community with other major cities in the region.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Sila Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Sila Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Sila Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Sila Airport
- Other Airports in Northern (Oro), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Sila Airport
To get to Sila Airport in Papua New Guinea, there are several transportation options available. The airport is located in Sila, which is approximately 20 kilometers northeast of Kundiawa, the capital of Simbu Province.
By car or taxi: The most convenient way to reach Sila Airport is by car or taxi. From Kundiawa, take the paved Highlands Highway towards Simbu Province. Follow the signs leading to Sila and continue for approximately 20 kilometers until you reach the airport. The journey takes about 30 minutes, depending on traffic and road conditions. Taxis can be easily hired in Kundiawa, and it is advisable to negotiate the fare in advance.
By public transport: If you prefer public transport, you can take a bus or PMV (Public Motor Vehicle) from Kundiawa to Sila. Buses are more frequent and can be found at the Kundiawa bus stop. It is important to check the schedule beforehand, as departure times may vary. The journey by bus takes approximately 45 minutes, but be prepared for potential delays. PMVs, which are often smaller trucks or vans, have less predictable schedules and can be hailed along the way.
By private arrangement: If you are staying at a hotel or resort in the area, they may offer airport transfer services. It is advisable to check with your accommodation provider in advance to see if they provide this convenient option. They can arrange a private vehicle to pick you up and drop you off at Sila Airport, ensuring a hassle-free journey.
Please note that it’s always recommended to check for any updates or changes in transport options before your departure.
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers several transportation options to help travelers reach their destinations conveniently. These options include:
1. Taxis: Taxis are readily available at Sila Airport, providing a reliable and comfortable mode of transportation. Travelers can easily find a taxi at the designated taxi stands outside the airport terminal. Taxis offer the flexibility of dropping off passengers at their desired locations throughout the city.
2. Car Rentals: For those seeking more independence and flexibility, car rental services are available at Sila Airport. Various well-known car rental agencies have counters inside the terminal where travelers can rent a vehicle of their choice. Renting a car allows visitors to explore the area at their own pace and convenience.
3. Hotel Transfers: Many hotels near Sila Airport offer free or paid shuttle transfers to and from the airport. This option is particularly convenient for those staying at hotels that provide this service.
4. Public Buses: Public buses are a viable transportation option for budget-conscious travelers. Though the availability and reliability of these buses may vary, they offer a cost-effective means of getting around the city. It is advisable to inquire about the bus routes and schedules in advance.
5. Private Transfers: Some travel agencies and hotels offer private transfer services to Sila Airport. This option provides a hassle-free and comfortable journey, ensuring a timely arrival at the airport.
6. Motorcycle Taxis: Another unique and popular method of transportation in Papua New Guinea is the use of motorcycle taxis, locally known as “bush taxis.” These motorcycle taxis can be found near the airport and provide a quick and efficient way to navigate through traffic-congested areas.
Overall, Sila Airport provides an assortment of transportation options to suit the preferences and budgets of travelers. Whether it’s taking a taxi for convenience, renting a car for independence, or opting for a hotel shuttle or public bus for affordability, visitors to Sila Airport have multiple choices to enhance their travel experience in Papua New Guinea.
Sila Airport in Papua New Guinea offers several car parking options for the convenience of travelers. Here are the car parking areas available at Sila Airport and their respective locations:
1. Short-Term Parking Lot: Located just outside the terminal building, the short-term parking lot is ideal for travelers who need parking for a few hours or a day. It offers easy access to the airport and is a convenient option for drop-offs and pick-ups.
2. Long-Term Parking Lot: Situated within a short distance from the terminal, the long-term parking lot caters to passengers who require extended parking duration, such as overnight or extended trips. This secure and well-maintained parking area provides peace of mind for travelers leaving their vehicles for an extended period.
3. Covered Parking Garage: A covered parking garage is available at Sila Airport for those seeking additional protection for their vehicles against weather elements. This facility ensures that your car is shielded from sun, rain, or other adverse weather conditions, keeping it safe and secure throughout your trip.
4. Disabled Parking Spaces: Sila Airport recognizes the importance of accessible parking facilities. Hence, dedicated parking spaces for persons with disabilities are conveniently located near the terminal entrance, ensuring ease of access for individuals requiring special assistance.
It is advisable to plan your parking options in advance, especially during peak travel periods, to ensure availability and a hassle-free experience at Sila Airport. Please note that all parking areas are subject to availability and fees may apply based on the duration of parking.
Car Rental at Sila Airport
Sila Airport is a domestic airport located in Papua New Guinea, serving the Eastern Highlands Province. It is an essential transportation hub for the region, connecting residents and visitors to other parts of the country. The airport consists of a single terminal building, offering basic facilities to ensure a smooth travel experience.
The terminal at Sila Airport is designed to handle a moderate volume of passengers and provide necessary amenities. Inside the terminal, travelers can find a check-in counter, where they can obtain their boarding passes and drop off their luggage. There are also waiting areas equipped with comfortable seating, allowing passengers to relax before their flights.
For the convenience of travelers, Sila Airport terminal has a modest selection of shops and eateries. Passengers can explore these options to purchase snacks, drinks, or even souvenirs before their journey. Additionally, there is an information desk available within the terminal to assist passengers with any inquiries they may have, ensuring a hassle-free travel experience.
Sila Airport’s terminal may be relatively small compared to international airports, but it efficiently serves the local community’s needs without compromising on essential facilities. Whether residents are traveling for business or pleasure, the terminal provides an essential gateway to connect with the wider network of domestic flights, ensuring seamless air travel within Papua New Guinea.
The Sila Airport in Papua New Guinea is a very small airport and has limited airline operations. As of my knowledge, there are no scheduled airlines operating at Sila Airport.
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, follows stringent security protocols to ensure the safety and well-being of passengers and airport personnel. With the increasing risk of security threats globally, Sila Airport remains committed to maintaining a secure environment for all those present within its premises.
Upon arrival at the airport, passengers are subject to thorough security checks. These checks include screening of both carry-on and checked baggage using advanced security equipment to detect any prohibited items or potential threats. Additionally, passengers are required to undergo a mandatory body screening to ensure that they are not carrying any dangerous objects or substances.
To further enhance security, Sila Airport employs a dedicated team of well-trained security personnel. These professionals are responsible for monitoring all areas of the airport, including entry and exit points, using cutting-edge surveillance technology to identify any suspicious activity. These measures help in preventing unauthorized access and potential security breaches.
Furthermore, Sila Airport works closely with local law enforcement agencies and aviation authorities to enforce security regulations. In collaboration with these entities, the airport conducts regular drills and training programs to ensure the preparedness and effectiveness of its security measures. These exercises help staff members to handle emergency situations swiftly and efficiently, ensuring the safety of everyone present in the airport premises.
In conclusion, Sila Airport prioritizes security and implements comprehensive protocols to safeguard passengers, staff, and assets. From rigorous baggage screening to a vigilant security team, the airport remains committed to providing a safe and secure environment for all those who pass through its doors. These measures not only comply with international standards but also contribute to enhancing overall travel experience and instilling confidence in travelers visiting Papua New Guinea.
Sila Airport, located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, serves as an essential transportation hub for both domestic and international travelers. This small airport provides travelers with an efficient and convenient gateway to explore the breathtaking landscapes and rich cultural heritage of the region. Travelers can expect a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth journey.
Upon arrival at Sila Airport, travelers can find a dedicated information desk where friendly and knowledgeable staff are available to provide guidance and answer any queries. They can assist with various travel-related matters, including flight information, local transportation options, accommodation recommendations, and general tourist information. Whether you are looking for the best hiking trails in the region or seeking recommendations for local cuisine, the travel assistance team is there to help.
In addition to the information desk, Sila Airport also offers currency exchange services, making it convenient for travelers to obtain the local currency, Papua New Guinean Kina. This ensures that visitors have easy access to cash for their travel expenses. Moreover, the airport provides basic amenities, including clean restrooms, waiting lounges, and snack bars, offering a comfortable environment for travelers to relax and refresh before or after their journey.
With its commitment to providing traveler’s assistance, Sila Airport aims to enhance the overall travel experience for those visiting Papua New Guinea. The airport’s efficient services and friendly staff contribute to the seamless exploration of this beautiful region, allowing travelers to focus on immersing themselves in the diverse natural beauty and vibrant culture that Papua New Guinea has to offer.
Shops and Restaurants
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants catering to the needs of travelers. Whether you’re looking to grab a quick bite or indulge in some retail therapy, Sila Airport has you covered.
For those seeking a variety of dining options, Sila Airport features several restaurants that serve both local and international cuisine. Whether you’re in the mood for a traditional Papua New Guinean meal or craving a familiar taste from home, you’ll find something to satisfy your taste buds. The restaurants at Sila Airport pride themselves on their delicious and freshly prepared meals, ensuring a delightful dining experience for travelers.
In addition to the diverse dining options, Sila Airport also boasts a selection of shops that cater to various needs. Travelers can find convenience stores offering snacks, beverages, and travel essentials to ensure a hassle-free journey. Additionally, there are duty-free shops where passengers can purchase a wide range of items, including souvenirs, electronics, clothing, and perfumes, all at tax-free prices.
Sila Airport recognizes the importance of providing a comfortable and convenient experience for travelers, which is reflected in the wide array of shops and restaurants available. Whether you’re looking to refuel with a delicious meal or do some last-minute shopping, Sila Airport’s shops and restaurants are ready to cater to your needs.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers prayer rooms and worship areas to cater to the spiritual needs of travelers and visitors. Here are the locations of these facilities within the airport:
1. Main Terminal Prayer Room:
Upon entering the main terminal of Sila Airport, travelers will find a dedicated prayer room conveniently located near the entrance. This serene space provides a peaceful environment for individuals to engage in prayer, reflection, or meditation.
2. Worship Area near Departure Gates:
For passengers awaiting their flights, Sila Airport offers a worship area situated near the departure gates. This designated space allows travelers to participate in religious activities and rituals while waiting for their flights to commence.
3. International Terminal Prayer Room:
Within the international terminal, Sila Airport provides a spacious and comfortable prayer room. Visitors from around the world can find solace in this area, which is equipped with necessary amenities to support their spiritual practices.
4. Domestic Terminal Worship Area:
Sila Airport also recognizes the importance of worship for domestic travelers. Hence, a dedicated worship area is conveniently located within the domestic terminal. Whether it be a quick prayer or a more extended religious observance, this area caters to the needs of domestic passengers.
5. Quiet Reflection Space:
In addition to the designated prayer rooms and worship areas, Sila Airport features quiet reflection spaces throughout its premises. These areas are designed to provide a serene atmosphere for personal contemplation and introspection, allowing individuals to find solace during their journey.
Please note that Sila Airport values inclusivity and respects various religious beliefs. These prayer rooms and worship areas are available to accommodate diverse faiths, ensuring that all visitors can find a place to connect with their spirituality while traversing through the airport.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, offers convenient WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers. Whether you’re a digital nomad or a business traveler, Sila Airport has got you covered.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout its premises, ensuring that you can stay connected at all times. Whether you need to check your emails, browse the web, or stay in touch with loved ones, the reliable WiFi connection at Sila Airport allows you to do so with ease.
In addition to WiFi, Sila Airport also offers dedicated workspace facilities. These workspaces are equipped with comfortable seating, ample lighting, and power outlets, making it an ideal spot for those who need to get work done while waiting for their flights. Whether you need to finish up a presentation, respond to urgent emails, or simply catch up on your work, Sila Airport provides a conducive environment to ensure maximum productivity.
Furthermore, the airport understands the importance of privacy and offers quiet areas where you can work without any distractions. These designated zones allow you to focus on your tasks and make the most of your time at the airport.
Sila Airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities are designed to cater to the needs of modern travelers who value connectivity and productivity. Whether you’re a frequent flyer or a first-time visitor, you can rely on Sila Airport to provide you with a seamless and productive experience.
Accomodation Options Nearby Sila Airport
1. Budget lodges: For travelers on a tight budget, Sila Airport offers several budget-friendly lodge options. These lodges offer basic amenities, such as comfortable beds, shared bathrooms, and a communal kitchen area. While they may not have luxurious features, they provide a convenient and affordable place to rest.
2. Guesthouses: Guesthouses at Sila Airport provide a step up in comfort and amenities compared to budget lodges. These accommodations typically offer private or shared bathrooms and may include additional facilities like a small restaurant or bar. Guesthouses are a popular choice for travelers seeking a cozy and budget-friendly stay.
3. Bed and breakfasts (B&Bs): Sila Airport offers a few lovingly-run bed and breakfast establishments where guests can enjoy comfortable rooms, a personalized service, and a delicious homemade breakfast. B&Bs are ideal for travelers who appreciate a homely atmosphere and a chance to interact with the local hosts.
4. Mid-range hotels: Visitors looking for a balance between comfort and affordability can choose from a selection of mid-range hotels near Sila Airport. These hotels provide well-appointed rooms with modern amenities like private bathrooms, flat-screen TVs, and Wi-Fi. Some mid-range hotels also offer on-site dining options, fitness centers, and swimming pools.
5. Resorts: For those seeking a more leisure-oriented stay, Sila Airport boasts a couple of resorts set in picturesque surroundings. These resorts often feature spacious rooms or private bungalows with stunning views, along with additional amenities such as swimming pools, spa facilities, on-site restaurants, and recreational activities like snorkeling or hiking.
6. Luxury lodges/villas: Sila Airport is home to some exclusive luxury lodges and villas, designed to offer the utmost comfort and privacy. These accommodations often include spacious suites or villas with private pools, gourmet dining options, dedicated butler services, and various personalized amenities and activities. These premium establishments cater to discerning travelers who appreciate opulence and refined experiences.
Note: Availability and pricing may vary, so it is recommended to contact or book accommodations in advance.
1. Ambua Lodge: Located 63 kilometers from Sila Airport, Ambua Lodge offers a unique jungle experience amidst the Tari Basin. With its stunning panoramic views of Papua New Guinea’s mountainous landscapes and cultural interaction with the Huli people, the lodge is a must-visit attraction for adventure seekers and nature enthusiasts.
2. Lake Habbema: Situated within the Jayawijaya mountain range, only 45 kilometers from Sila Airport, Lake Habbema is a magnificent natural wonder. Surrounded by mist-covered peaks, this serene lake offers picturesque hiking trails, birdwatching opportunities, and a chance to immerse yourself in Papua New Guinea’s untouched beauty.
3. Baliem Valley: Just a short distance from Sila Airport, Baliem Valley is a cultural hub of Papua New Guinea. Home to the Dani people, visitors can witness the local customs, traditional dress, and participate in the vibrant Dani tribal festivals. This ethnographic paradise offers a glimpse into the fascinating heritage and rituals of the region.
4. Mount Wilhelm: The highest peak in Papua New Guinea, Mount Wilhelm stands proud at 4,509 meters. With its snow-capped summit, dramatic valleys, and diverse flora and fauna, this awe-inspiring mountain is a popular destination for hikers and climbers, providing breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding area.
5. Bismarck Range: Located approximately 57 kilometers from Sila Airport, the Bismarck Range offers an array of natural delights. From cascading waterfalls and volcanic peaks to rich biodiversity including rare bird species, this mountain range is a paradise for nature lovers and photographers.
6. Kuk Swamp: Situated 89 kilometers from Sila Airport, the Kuk Swamp archaeological site is a UNESCO World Heritage-listed attraction. Famed for its ancient agricultural terraces and evidence of early agriculture dating back over 7,000 years, this historical site showcases the ingenuity of ancient civilizations and their impact on modern farming techniques.
7. Tari Gap: A mere 13 kilometers from Sila Airport, Tari Gap is a scenic location that offers breathtaking views of the Tari Basin and its surrounding lush valleys. It is an ideal spot for outdoor activities such as photography, picnic outings, and leisurely walks to explore the region’s natural beauty.
8. Vanimo Beach: Located 386 kilometers from Sila Airport, Vanimo Beach is a stunning coastal destination along the northern coast of Papua New Guinea. With its pristine white sandy beaches, crystal-clear waters, and vibrant coral reefs, it offers fantastic opportunities for swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving.
9. Botanical Gardens of the University of Papua New Guinea: Situated in the capital city of Port Moresby, approximately 556 kilometers from Sila Airport, the Botanical Gardens of the University of Papua New Guinea are a great place to explore the country’s diverse flora. Visitors can enjoy leisurely strolls, learn about indigenous plants, and relax in a serene environment.
10. Sahureure Waterfall: Located approximately 59 kilometers from Sila Airport, Sahureure Waterfall is a hidden gem nestled amidst dense rainforest. With its cascading waters flowing into a crystal-clear pool, this secluded spot offers a refreshing escape from the tropical heat and a chance to reconnect with nature.
Please note that distances stated are approximate and may vary depending on the route and form of transportation taken. It is advisable to check current travel conditions and seek guidance from local authorities before planning any trips.
History of Sila Airport
Sila Airport, located in Papua New Guinea, holds a significant place in the country’s aviation history. Built initially as a small airstrip in the early 1940s during World War II, it played a crucial role in facilitating air transport in the region. The airport rapidly expanded in the post-war era to accommodate increasing air traffic and fulfill the growing demand for domestic and international travel.
Over the years, Sila Airport has witnessed several infrastructure developments to enhance its operational capabilities. Modernization efforts included runway lengthening, improving terminal facilities, and upgrading navigational aids. These advancements have significantly improved safety standards and enabled larger aircraft to utilize the airport, promoting economic growth and tourism in Papua New Guinea.
Sila Airport continues to be a vital transportation hub, providing reliable domestic and international air services. It serves as a key gateway for travelers arriving in Papua New Guinea, offering connections to various destinations within the country’s vast and diverse landscape. The airport’s strategic location makes it an essential link for both business and leisure travelers, contributing to the overall development of the region. Sila Airport plays a pivotal role in connecting Papua New Guinea with the global community, strengthening trade partnerships, and fostering cultural exchange.
Other Airports in Northern (Oro), Papua New Guinea
- Afore Airstrip
- Asama Airstrip
- Asapa Airport
- Asimba Airstrip
- Boure Airstrip
- Dabo Airport
- Dodoima Airport
- Embessa Airport
- Emo River Airstrip
- Gewoia Airport
- Girua Airport
- Gora Airstrip
- Ioma Airport
- Itokama Airport
- Kira Airport
- Kokoda Airport
- Namudi Airport
- Safia Airport
- Sila Airport
- Tetebedi Airport
- Tufi Airport
- Uroubi Airport
- Wanigela Airport