Simbari Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a small airfield that serves the remote Simbari community in the Eastern Highlands Province. This vital transportation hub plays a crucial role in connecting the local population to essential services and supplies.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Simbari Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Simbari Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Simbari Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Simbari Airstrip
- Other Airports in Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Simbari Airstrip
To get to Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, there are a few options. If you are coming internationally, you will most likely need to fly into Jacksons International Airport in Port Moresby, the capital city. From there, you can take a domestic flight to Goroka Airport, which is the closest major airport to Simbari.
Once you land at Goroka Airport, you can arrange for a charter flight or helicopter transfer to Simbari Airstrip. It’s best to book these transfers in advance through a reputable travel agency or tour operator in Papua New Guinea. The flight time from Goroka to Simbari is around 20 minutes.
Another option to reach Simbari Airstrip is by road. From Goroka, you can hire a private vehicle or join a guided tour to drive to Simbari. The distance is approximately 90 kilometers, and the journey can take around 3 hours, depending on road conditions.
It is important to note that Simbari Airstrip may not have regular commercial flights, so it’s crucial to make arrangements for transportation in advance. Also, as infrastructure in some parts of Papua New Guinea may be limited, it is recommended to check the latest travel advisories, carry essential supplies, and ensure you have appropriate travel insurance during your journey.
Simbari Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Although it is primarily used for domestic flights, it serves as an essential transportation hub in the region. While it may not offer a wide variety of transportation options, there are a few alternatives available for travelers.
1. Domestic Flights: Simbari Airstrip is mainly serviced by domestic airlines, such as Air Niugini or PNG Air. These airlines provide regular flights to other major airports within Papua New Guinea, allowing travelers to connect to both domestic and international destinations.
2. Helicopter Services: Helicopter charters are available for those looking for a more flexible and efficient mode of transportation. These services offer personalized flights to various locations within the region, catering to specific transport needs.
3. Road Transport: Simbari Airstrip is connected to the surrounding areas through a network of rugged roads. Local transportation providers offer shared rides or private transfers to nearby towns and villages. However, it is important to note that roads in this remote region may be challenging to navigate, and travel times can be lengthy due to difficult terrain.
4. Walking: In some cases, when traveling to nearby destinations or rural areas, walking may be the only feasible option. This could involve joining local villagers on foot or hiring a local guide to navigate the dense forests and mountainous terrain.
5. Local Canoes: In certain riverine areas, locals use traditional canoes as a means of transportation. While this might not be a common choice for visitors, it can provide a unique experience for those interested in immersing themselves in the local culture.
It’s essential to plan ahead and make necessary arrangements for transportation when visiting Simbari Airstrip. It is recommended to research transportation options, contact local operators, and check the availability and schedules of flights to ensure a smooth journey.
Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers convenient car parking options for travelers. Below are the locations of car parking facilities available at the airstrip:
1. Main Car Park: Located at the main entrance of the Simbari Airstrip, this car park provides ample space for parking vehicles of all sizes. It is conveniently positioned close to the terminal building, ensuring easy access for passengers.
2. Overflow Car Park: Situated just a short distance from the main car park, the overflow parking area is specifically designated to accommodate additional vehicles during peak travel seasons or when the main car park is near capacity.
3. Disabled Parking Area: A separate area is dedicated to accommodating vehicles displaying proper disabled permits. This designated parking spot is conveniently located near the terminal entrance, ensuring ease of access for passengers with disabilities.
4. Short-Term Parking: For those needing to park their vehicles for a short duration, there are designated short-term parking spaces available near the terminal building. This option is perfect for quick drop-offs or pick-ups, allowing passengers to minimize their parking time.
5. Long-Term Parking: Located further away from the terminal but still within a convenient distance, the long-term parking area is ideal for extended trips. This secure parking facility offers peace of mind for travelers who plan to leave their vehicles unattended for an extended period.
It is important for travelers to follow any signage or instructions provided at Simbari Airstrip regarding parking regulations and fees, if applicable. Additionally, it is essential to lock vehicles and ensure no valuables are left inside to ensure the safety of parked vehicles.
Simbari Airstrip’s car parking facilities guarantee a hassle-free experience for passengers, with various options available to cater to different parking needs.
Car Rental at Simbari Airstrip
Simbari Airstrip, located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea, is a small yet vital transportation hub connecting remote communities and serving as a gateway to the stunning natural beauty of the region. The airstrip primarily caters to domestic flights, accommodating smaller aircraft such as propeller planes and helicopters. Its compact size allows for a quick and hassle-free boarding process, making it an essential link for residents and tourists alike.
The terminal facilities at Simbari Airstrip are designed to prioritize the comfort and convenience of passengers during their wait for flights. While the terminal building may be modest in size, it offers essential amenities such as seating areas, restroom facilities, and a waiting lounge where travelers can relax. The friendly staff at the airport provide efficient service and ensure that all necessary processes, including check-in and baggage handling, are carried out smoothly.
Simbari Airstrip’s location amidst the picturesque Eastern Highlands is a gateway to a multitude of attractions in the region, including the impressive Mount Wilhelm and the beautiful Lake Paradise. From the terminal, travelers can easily access various adventure destinations, hiking trails, and cultural experiences offered in this part of Papua New Guinea. The airport’s strategic positioning also supports the local economy by facilitating the transportation of goods and supplies, enabling trade and development in the surrounding communities.
In summary, Simbari Airstrip serves as a crucial transport hub for the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. With its compact yet comfortable terminal, the airstrip ensures a seamless and enjoyable travel experience for passengers. Beyond its functional role, the airport plays a significant part in connecting travelers to the region’s natural, cultural, and economic attractions, making it an important resource for both locals and tourists.
There are currently no commercial airlines operating at Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. The airstrip primarily serves as a general aviation and charter airport for private aircraft and small local operators.
Simbari Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, follows strict security protocols to ensure the safety of its passengers, aircraft, and airport staff. These measures are in place to prevent any unauthorized access, potential threats, and to maintain a smooth and secure airport operation.
Access control is a primary focus at Simbari Airstrip. Entry to the airport premises is restricted to authorized personnel only. Security personnel are stationed at various checkpoints, conducting thorough checks and verifying identification documents before granting entry. This stringent system helps in preventing any unauthorized individuals from accessing the airport, reducing the risks of potential security breaches.
Additionally, Simbari Airstrip employs advanced screening technology to enhance security. All passengers, along with their luggage and personal belongings, go through comprehensive security screening procedures. This includes the use of metal detectors, scanners, and X-ray machines to detect any prohibited items or potential threats. Random inspections are also conducted to ensure compliance with safety regulations.
Simbari Airstrip also maintains a strong focus on monitoring and surveillance. The airport is equipped with a network of security cameras strategically positioned to cover key areas of the facility. These cameras are monitored by trained security personnel who are vigilant in detecting any suspicious activities or individuals. This constant surveillance helps in deterring and responding promptly to any security incidents.
Overall, Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea prioritizes the security of its premises, personnel, and passengers. Through access control measures, rigorous screening procedures, and vigilant monitoring, the airport aims to provide a safe and secure environment for all those who utilize its services.
Simbari Airstrip is a small airport located in the Simbari region of Papua New Guinea. It serves as an essential transportation hub for both local communities and travelers visiting this remote part of the country. The airstrip is primarily utilized for small aircraft, such as single-engine planes and helicopters, due to its limited size and infrastructure.
For travelers seeking assistance at Simbari Airstrip, there are a few key services available to ensure a smooth journey. Firstly, the airport provides basic facilities including a waiting area and restroom facilities. However, it’s important to note that the amenities are minimal, so travelers should come prepared with their own necessities.
Additionally, Simbari Airstrip offers limited ground transportation options. It is advisable to arrange for transportation in advance, especially if traveling to nearby accommodations or attractions. Local taxis or private hires may be available, but it is recommended to make arrangements through a reliable local contact or travel agency.
As with any travel to remote areas, it is essential for travelers to plan ahead and be prepared for the unique challenges that may arise. The Simbari Airstrip does not have on-site accommodation or dining options, so visitors should ensure they have arranged for lodging and meals prior to arrival. It is also recommended to carry sufficient cash, as credit card facilities may not be available in the immediate vicinity.
In summary, Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides a vital transportation link for travelers exploring the Simbari region. While the airport offers basic facilities, travelers should plan ahead and make necessary arrangements such as ground transportation, accommodations, and dining options to ensure a comfortable and hassle-free visit.
Shops and Restaurants
Simbari Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a few convenient shops and restaurants for visitors and travelers. Despite being a relatively small facility, it provides essential amenities to enhance the comfort and convenience of its guests.
One of the primary establishments at Simbari Airstrip is the convenience store. This shop offers a range of basic necessities, such as snacks, beverages, toiletries, and travel essentials. Whether you need a quick snack, a refreshing drink, or any last-minute items, the convenience store aims to cater to your needs.
For those seeking a more substantial meal or a place to relax, there is a restaurant available at the airstrip. The restaurant serves a variety of local and international dishes, ensuring that there is something to suit every palate. You can enjoy a delicious meal while taking in the beautiful surroundings of Papua New Guinea.
The restaurant at Simbari Airstrip also offers a warm and welcoming atmosphere, providing a comfortable space for visitors to unwind. The friendly staff ensures that you receive excellent service, making your dining experience enjoyable and memorable.
In addition to the convenience store and restaurant, Simbari Airstrip offers a few souvenir shops where you can find unique local handicrafts and mementos. These shops allow you to take a piece of Papua New Guinea’s vibrant culture and heritage back home with you.
While the shop and restaurant options at Simbari Airstrip may be limited, they are designed to cater to the basic needs of travelers passing through the facility. Whether you are in need of a quick snack, a satisfying meal, or a special souvenir, these establishments strive to provide a convenient and enjoyable experience for all visitors.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Simbari Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, provides prayer rooms and worship areas for the convenience of travelers and locals alike.
1. Prayer Room at Simbari Airstrip Terminal:
Upon entering the Simbari Airstrip terminal, passengers will find a dedicated prayer room conveniently located within the terminal building. This room is specifically designed to cater to the spiritual needs of individuals who seek a quiet and peaceful space for prayer, meditation, or reflection. It offers a serene environment with comfortable seating, allowing visitors to find solace amidst their journey.
2. Worship Area near Simbari Airstrip:
In close proximity to Simbari Airstrip, there is a dedicated worship area where both locals and visitors can gather to participate in religious ceremonies and services. This worship area serves as a central hub for various religious communities, providing them with a communal space to come together and engage in their respective faiths. It is equipped with necessary facilities, such as seating arrangements and a stage, to accommodate religious gatherings of different sizes.
3. Outdoor Prayer Spaces at Simbari Airstrip:
In addition to the indoor prayer room, Simbari Airstrip also offers outdoor prayer spaces for those who prefer a closer connection with nature during their spiritual practices. These open-air areas are thoughtfully designed with peaceful surroundings, allowing individuals to connect with their spirituality while enjoying the natural beauty of Papua New Guinea. Surrounded by lush greenery and soothing sounds of the surrounding environment, these outdoor prayer spaces provide a tranquil atmosphere for prayer and meditation.
It is important to note that these prayer rooms and worship areas at Simbari Airstrip are open to people of all faiths and denominations. The management and staff of the airstrip are committed to fostering an inclusive and respectful environment, catering to the diverse spiritual needs of travelers and locals. Whether one seeks solitude for personal prayer or wishes to engage in group worship, Simbari Airstrip’s prayer rooms and worship areas aim to provide a peaceful haven for all.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Simbari Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers and locals alike. While the availability and reliability of these amenities may vary, here is some information to help you plan your visit.
Simbari Airstrip provides WiFi access to its visitors, allowing them to stay connected while at the facility. However, it is important to note that the WiFi signal strength may be weaker in some areas due to the remote location of the airstrip. Visitors should manage their expectations accordingly and be prepared for potential connectivity issues.
For those seeking a dedicated workspace, Simbari Airstrip offers a designated area where individuals can comfortably work. This workspace is equipped with basic amenities such as tables, chairs, and power outlets, allowing visitors to set up their laptops or other devices and focus on their tasks. It is important to note that the workspace area may be limited in size, so it is advisable to arrive early to secure a spot.
Additionally, Simbari Airstrip provides a tranquil environment conducive to concentration, as it is situated away from the bustling city centers. Visitors can enjoy the peaceful surroundings while working, providing an ideal atmosphere for productivity.
However, it is important to remember that Simbari Airstrip is a small facility in a remote area, and its workspace facilities may not be as extensive or modern as those found in larger airports or business centers. Visitors should come prepared with any necessary equipment, such as chargers or adapters, to ensure a smooth working experience.
In conclusion, Simbari Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides limited WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers and locals. While the WiFi signal strength may vary, visitors can expect a designated workspace area with basic amenities. The serene environment at Simbari Airstrip offers a peaceful atmosphere for focused work. It is advisable to plan accordingly and bring any necessary equipment to enhance your productivity during your visit.
Accomodation Options Nearby Simbari Airstrip
There are various accommodation options available at Simbari Airstrip, Papua New Guinea, offering a range of choices to suit different budgets and preferences. Whether you are looking for budget-friendly options or seeking a luxurious stay, Simbari Airstrip has something to offer for everyone. Here is a list of accommodation options in Simbari Airstrip, ordered from the cheapest to the most luxurious:
1. Budget Guesthouses or Lodges: Simbari Airstrip offers a few budget-friendly guesthouses and lodges that provide comfortable yet affordable accommodation. These options are suitable for travelers who are looking for a simple place to rest and do not require extravagant amenities.
2. Basic Cottages or Bungalows: For those seeking a bit more privacy and comfort, there are basic cottages or bungalows available for rent. These accommodations generally offer a little more space, self-catering facilities, and basic amenities at reasonable prices.
3. Mid-Range Hotels: Simbari Airstrip also has several mid-range hotels that cater to travelers seeking a balance between affordability and comfort. These hotels often feature well-appointed rooms, on-site dining options, and additional facilities like Wi-Fi and laundry services.
4. Luxury Resorts: If you are looking for a more upscale experience, Simbari Airstrip has a few luxury resorts that offer exceptional comfort and top-notch amenities. These resorts often boast spacious rooms or villas, gourmet dining options, spa facilities, swimming pools, and other recreational activities.
5. Private Lodges or Retreats: For a truly exclusive experience, Simbari Airstrip offers private lodges or retreats which are perfect for those desiring utmost privacy, seclusion, and high-end services. These accommodations often provide personalized services, luxurious amenities, private pools, fine dining experiences, and stunning views of the surrounding natural beauty.
It is worth noting that Simbari Airstrip is a remote area of Papua New Guinea, and the availability of accommodation options may vary. It is recommended to book accommodation in advance and check with local travel agencies or online booking platforms for the most up-to-date information and deals.
1. Kokoda Track: Just a short distance away from Simbari Airstrip, the iconic Kokoda Track offers adventurous treks through rugged terrain and historical significance. Known for its World War II significance, this challenging track takes you through lush rainforests, remote villages, and steep mountain ranges.
2. Mount Wilhelm: Towering at 4,509 meters (14,793 feet), Mount Wilhelm is the highest mountain in Papua New Guinea. This majestic peak offers breathtaking views, challenging hiking trails, and unique flora and fauna, making it a must-visit for nature enthusiasts and avid climbers.
3. Kundiawa: Located in the heart of the Highlands Region, Kundiawa is a vibrant town worth exploring. Its bustling market, brimming with fresh produce, traditional crafts, and local delicacies, provides an authentic cultural experience. Interact with the friendly locals and immerse yourself in the warmth of their traditions and customs.
4. Surinki Conservation Area: Nestled near Simbari Airstrip, the Surinki Conservation Area is a natural wonderland filled with diverse wildlife and pristine ecosystems. Known for its unique bird species, including the stunning Raggiana bird-of-paradise, this protected area is a paradise for birdwatchers and nature lovers.
5. Papaki Waterfalls: Embark on a short hike from Simbari Airstrip to reach the enchanting Papaki Waterfalls. Surrounded by lush rainforests and rock formations, these cascading falls offer a refreshing break from the tropical heat and a picturesque spot for a picnic or a dip in the crystal-clear waters.
6. Rondon Ridge: Situated some distance from Simbari Airstrip, Rondon Ridge offers breathtaking panoramic views of the surrounding valleys and mountains. This stunning highland lodge provides luxurious accommodation and an ideal base for exploring the nearby attractions.
7. Varirata National Park: Located near Port Moresby, around 100 kilometers from Simbari Airstrip, Varirata National Park presents an excellent opportunity to witness Papua New Guinea’s rich wildlife. With numerous hiking trails, you can spot a diverse range of birds, reptiles, and small mammals while enjoying stunning vistas of the coastal plains.
8. Sepik River: For a unique cultural experience, consider a trip to the Sepik River, one of the country’s longest and most significant waterways. This meandering river showcases traditional village life, intricate wood carvings, and fascinating ceremonies. Encounter vibrant tribal cultures and stunning art forms unique to this region.
9. Tawali Dive Resort: If you’re a scuba diving enthusiast, a visit to the Tawali Dive Resort near Milne Bay is a must. This tropical paradise boasts some of the most pristine coral reefs in the world, teeming with vibrant marine life. Immerse yourself in the colorful underwater world and explore historical World War II wrecks.
10. Port Moresby Nature Park: Located within Port Moresby, a short flight from Simbari Airstrip, the Port Moresby Nature Park is a green oasis in the bustling capital city. This well-maintained park exhibits Papua New Guinea’s unique wildlife, including tree kangaroos, cassowaries, and exotic bird species. Enjoy engaging animal encounters, walking trails, and educational exhibits perfect for families and nature enthusiasts.
History of Simbari Airstrip
Simbari Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the Eastern Highlands Province of Papua New Guinea. Situated in the rugged and mountainous terrain, it serves as an important transportation hub for the local communities in the surrounding region. The history of Simbari Airstrip can be traced back to the early 1950s when it was constructed by Australian forces as part of their efforts to establish a network of airstrips across the country.
During the early years, Simbari Airstrip primarily served as a military installation during the Second World War. However, after the war, the airstrip was handed over to the Papua New Guinea government and it began to be utilized for civilian purposes. The strategic location of Simbari Airstrip played a crucial role in improving accessibility for the residents of remote villages in the surrounding area, allowing them to connect with larger towns and cities for trade, medical services, and other essential facilities.
Over the years, Simbari Airstrip has witnessed various improvements and developments, aiming to enhance its capabilities and ensure a safer transportation experience. Some of these upgrades include runway extensions and maintenance, installation of navigation aids, and the construction of basic infrastructure such as passenger terminals and storage facilities. Today, Simbari Airstrip continues to play a vital role in the region’s economy by facilitating travel and trade, and serving as a lifeline for the local communities in accessing essential services.
Other Airports in Eastern Highlands, Papua New Guinea
- Agotu Airstrip
- Aiyura Airport
- Andakombe Airport
- Ande Airstrip
- Asinuwa Airstrip
- Aziana Airstrip
- Gema Airstrip
- Gimi Airstrip
- Goroka Airport
- Guwasa Airport
- Habina Airstrip
- Herowena Airstrip
- Kora Airstrip
- Marawaka Airport
- Norambi Airstrip.
- Obura Airstrip
- Omaura Airstrip
- Owena Airstrip
- Simbari Airstrip
- Simogu Airstrip
- Sindeni Airstrip
- Tarabo Airport
- Tuvau Airstrip
- Usarumpia Airstrip
- Wonenara Airport
- Wuyabo Airstrip