Viru Viru International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Bolivia, located in the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra. It serves as a hub for several airlines, including Boliviana de Aviación and Amaszonas, and offers flights to destinations throughout South America and beyond. With modern facilities and a range of amenities, Viru Viru International Airport is a key transportation hub for both business and leisure travelers.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Viru Viru International Airport
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Viru Viru International Airport
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Viru Viru International Airport
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Viru Viru International Airport
- Other Airports in Santa Cruz Department, Bolivia
How to Get to Viru Viru International Airport
Viru Viru International Airport is located in Santa Cruz, Bolivia. There are several ways to get to the airport, including by taxi, bus, or private car.
If you are taking a taxi, it is recommended to use a reputable taxi company or arrange for a taxi through your hotel. The ride from the city center to the airport takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
If you prefer to take a bus, there are several options available. The Trans Copacabana bus company operates a direct service from the city center to the airport, with departures every 30 minutes. The journey takes approximately 45 minutes.
If you have your own car, the airport is easily accessible via the Autopista al Norte highway. The journey from the city center takes approximately 30 minutes, depending on traffic.
Overall, getting to Viru Viru International Airport is relatively straightforward, with several transportation options available. It is recommended to plan ahead and allow plenty of time to reach the airport, especially during peak travel periods.
Viru Viru International Airport is the largest airport in Bolivia and serves the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra. The airport is located approximately 17 kilometers from the city center and offers several transportation options for travelers.
1. Taxi: Taxis are readily available outside the airport terminal and are a convenient and affordable way to get to your destination. The fare to the city center is approximately $15 USD and takes around 30 minutes.
2. Shuttle Bus: Several shuttle bus services operate from the airport to the city center and other destinations. These services are usually cheaper than taxis and offer a comfortable and convenient way to travel. The fare for a shuttle bus to the city center is approximately $5 USD.
3. Car Rental: Several car rental companies operate from the airport, and renting a car is a great option if you plan to explore the city and its surroundings. The rental rates vary depending on the type of car and the rental period.
4. Public Transport: The airport is well-connected to the city’s public transport network, and several buses and minibusses operate from the airport to different parts of the city. The fare for a bus ride is approximately $0.50 USD.
5. Private Transfer: Private transfer services are available from the airport, and these services offer a comfortable and hassle-free way to travel to your destination. The rates for private transfer services vary depending on the distance and the type of vehicle.
In conclusion, Viru Viru International Airport offers several transportation options for travelers, including taxis, shuttle buses, car rentals, public transport, and private transfer services. Travelers can choose the option that best suits their needs and budget.
Viru Viru International Airport in Santa Cruz, Bolivia offers several car parking options for travelers. Here are the different parking areas and their locations:
1. Short-term parking: This parking area is located right in front of the terminal building, making it convenient for those who need to park for a short period of time. The rates for short-term parking are charged hourly.
2. Long-term parking: This parking area is located a bit further away from the terminal building, but it offers more affordable rates for those who need to park for an extended period of time. The rates for long-term parking are charged daily.
3. VIP parking: This parking area is located closest to the terminal building and offers a more exclusive parking experience. It is ideal for those who want to park their car in a secure and convenient location. The rates for VIP parking are charged hourly.
4. Disabled parking: This parking area is located near the terminal building and is reserved for travelers with disabilities. It offers easy access to the terminal and is equipped with special facilities for disabled travelers.
Overall, Viru Viru International Airport offers a range of car parking options to suit the needs of all travelers. Whether you need to park for a short or long period of time, or require special facilities, there is a parking area that will meet your needs.
Car Rental at Viru Viru International Airport
Viru Viru International Airport is the largest airport in Bolivia and serves as the main gateway to the country. The airport has two terminals, Terminal de Pasajeros and Terminal de Carga. Terminal de Pasajeros is the main terminal and handles both domestic and international flights. It has a capacity to handle up to 3 million passengers annually.
The terminal is modern and well-equipped with all the necessary facilities for passengers. It has a variety of shops, restaurants, and cafes, as well as duty-free stores. There are also ATMs, currency exchange offices, and a post office. The terminal has free Wi-Fi and charging stations for electronic devices.
Terminal de Carga is the cargo terminal of the airport and handles all the cargo operations. It has a capacity to handle up to 50,000 tons of cargo annually. The terminal is equipped with modern facilities and equipment to handle all types of cargo, including perishable goods, hazardous materials, and oversized cargo.
Overall, Viru Viru International Airport is a modern and well-equipped airport with two terminals that provide all the necessary facilities for passengers and cargo operations. The airport is an important hub for Bolivia and serves as a gateway to the country for both domestic and international travelers.
1. Aerolíneas Argentinas
3. American Airlines
5. Boliviana de Aviación
6. Copa Airlines
8. LATAM Airlines
9. Peruvian Airlines
10. Sky Airline
11. Viva Air
Viru Viru International Airport is one of the busiest airports in Bolivia, serving millions of passengers every year. To ensure the safety and security of all passengers, the airport has implemented strict security protocols. These protocols are designed to prevent any potential threats and ensure that all passengers and their belongings are safe.
The airport has a team of highly trained security personnel who are responsible for monitoring all areas of the airport, including the terminal, parking lots, and runways. They use advanced technology such as X-ray machines, metal detectors, and explosive detection systems to screen passengers and their luggage. All passengers are required to go through a security checkpoint before boarding their flight.
In addition to these measures, the airport also has a strict policy on prohibited items. Passengers are not allowed to carry any weapons, explosives, or flammable materials on board. Any items that are deemed a potential threat are confiscated by security personnel. The airport also has a canine unit that is trained to detect explosives and other dangerous substances.
Overall, Viru Viru International Airport takes security very seriously and has implemented a range of measures to ensure the safety of all passengers. These protocols are constantly reviewed and updated to ensure that they are effective in preventing any potential threats. Passengers can feel confident that they are in safe hands when traveling through this airport.
Viru Viru International Airport is the largest airport in Bolivia and serves as a major hub for both domestic and international flights. The airport offers a range of traveler’s assistance services to ensure a smooth and hassle-free travel experience for passengers. These services include baggage handling, wheelchair assistance, and language translation services.
The airport has a team of trained staff who are available to assist passengers with disabilities or special needs. Wheelchair assistance is available for passengers who require it, and the airport also has designated parking spaces for disabled passengers. Additionally, the airport has a range of facilities such as accessible restrooms and elevators to ensure that passengers with disabilities can navigate the airport with ease.
For international travelers, the airport offers language translation services to help passengers communicate with airport staff and navigate the airport. The airport also has a range of shops, restaurants, and lounges where passengers can relax and unwind before their flight. Overall, Viru Viru International Airport’s traveler’s assistance services are designed to make the travel experience as comfortable and stress-free as possible for all passengers.
Shops and Restaurants
Viru Viru International Airport, located in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, offers a variety of shops and restaurants for travelers to enjoy. Here are some of the options available:
1. Duty Free Americas – This shop offers a wide range of products, including cosmetics, fragrances, liquor, and tobacco.
2. Tienda del Cielo – This shop sells souvenirs, gifts, and local handicrafts.
3. La Riviera – This shop specializes in luxury items such as watches, jewelry, and leather goods.
4. Kiosko – This convenience store offers snacks, drinks, and travel essentials.
1. Burger King – This fast-food chain serves burgers, fries, and other American-style fare.
2. Starbucks – This coffee shop offers a variety of hot and cold beverages, as well as pastries and sandwiches.
3. La Pausa – This restaurant serves traditional Bolivian cuisine, including empanadas, salteñas, and grilled meats.
4. Subway – This sandwich shop offers a variety of subs and salads.
5. Cinnabon – This bakery specializes in cinnamon rolls and other sweet treats.
Whether you’re looking for a quick bite or some last-minute shopping, Viru Viru International Airport has plenty of options to choose from.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Viru Viru International Airport in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, offers several prayer rooms and worship areas for passengers and visitors to use. These areas are located throughout the airport and are easily accessible to all.
1. Catholic Chapel: Located on the second floor of the airport, near the international departures area, the Catholic Chapel is open 24 hours a day. It offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection, as well as daily Mass services.
2. Muslim Prayer Room: Also located on the second floor, near the international departures area, the Muslim Prayer Room is open 24 hours a day. It is equipped with prayer mats and a Qibla direction indicator.
3. Evangelical Christian Prayer Room: Located on the first floor, near the domestic departures area, the Evangelical Christian Prayer Room is open 24 hours a day. It offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection, as well as daily Bible study sessions.
4. Multi-Faith Prayer Room: Located on the second floor, near the international departures area, the Multi-Faith Prayer Room is open 24 hours a day. It is designed to accommodate people of all faiths and offers a quiet space for prayer and reflection.
All of these prayer rooms and worship areas are free to use and open to people of all faiths. They provide a peaceful and welcoming environment for travelers to practice their religion or simply take a moment to reflect and recharge.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Viru Viru International Airport, located in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, offers a range of WiFi and workspace facilities to ensure a comfortable and productive travel experience for its passengers.
The airport provides free WiFi access throughout the terminal building, allowing passengers to stay connected with their loved ones or work remotely while waiting for their flight. The WiFi network is fast and reliable, making it easy to browse the internet, check emails, or stream videos without any interruptions.
For passengers who need to work or study during their layover, Viru Viru International Airport offers several workspace facilities. The airport has a business center equipped with computers, printers, and fax machines, as well as private meeting rooms that can be rented by the hour. Additionally, there are several cafes and restaurants in the terminal building that offer comfortable seating and power outlets, making them ideal for working or studying.
Overall, Viru Viru International Airport’s WiFi and workspace facilities are designed to meet the needs of modern travelers, providing them with the tools and resources they need to stay connected and productive while on the go.
Viru Viru International Airport offers a variety of lounges for travelers to enjoy. Here is a list of lounges located at Viru Viru International Airport:
- La Paz Lounge: Located in the General Waiting Area, La Paz Lounge offers a relaxing atmosphere for travelers.
- VIP Room: Located in the Departures area, the VIP Room offers a range of amenities for business travelers.
- El Alto Lounge: Located in the General Waiting Area, El Alto Lounge features a variety of snacks and beverages.
- Cochabamba Lounge: Located in the Departures area, Cochabamba Lounge provides a peaceful atmosphere for travelers.
- Santa Cruz Lounge: Located in the General Waiting Area, Santa Cruz Lounge offers a range of services and amenities.
Accomodation Options Nearby Viru Viru International Airport
Viru Viru International Airport, located in Santa Cruz, Bolivia, offers a range of accommodation options catering to diverse budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget-conscious traveler or seeking a luxurious stay, you can find suitable accommodation near the airport. Here are a few options:
1. Airport Lounges: If you have a long layover or prefer a comfortable resting area, several lounges within the airport offer relaxation facilities, complimentary refreshments, shower access, and comfortable seating. These lounges are an affordable option for a short stay.
2. Transit Hotels: For those requiring a short-term stay close to the airport, transit hotels within the vicinity offer basic accommodations with comfortable beds, en-suite bathrooms, and essential amenities. These hotels are ideal for travelers with connecting flights or short overnight layovers.
3. Budget Hotels and Hostels: A range of affordable hotels and hostels can be found near Viru Viru International Airport. These accommodations offer clean and comfortable rooms with basic amenities. Some may include complimentary breakfast, Wi-Fi, and shuttle services to the airport, providing excellent value for budget-conscious travelers.
4. Mid-Range Hotels: There are several mid-range hotels located within a short drive from the airport. These hotels offer comfortable rooms, modern amenities, and often feature on-site restaurants, fitness centers, and swimming pools. They are suitable for both leisure and business travelers seeking convenient access to the airport.
5. Luxury Hotels: If you prefer a more lavish stay, there are luxury hotels in the Santa Cruz city center, which is approximately a 20-30 minute drive from the airport. These hotels provide luxurious rooms and suites, upscale amenities such as spa facilities, fine dining restaurants, and personalized services to ensure a memorable stay.
6. Vacation Rentals: For travelers seeking a more independent stay, vacation rentals and serviced apartments in Santa Cruz offer a home-away-from-home experience. These properties range from cozy apartments to spacious villas, providing fully equipped kitchens, separate living areas, and the flexibility to accommodate larger groups or families.
It is recommended to book your chosen accommodation in advance to secure the best rates and availability. Whether you prioritize affordability or luxury, Viru Viru International Airport has a variety of accommodation options to cater to your needs and provide a comfortable stay during your time in Santa Cruz.
1. Museo del Aire y del Espacio (Air and Space Museum) – Located just a short distance from Viru Viru International Airport, this museum showcases a collection of aircraft, helicopters, and space artifacts, providing a fascinating glimpse into aviation history.
2. Plaza 24 de Septiembre – Situated in the heart of Santa Cruz, this vibrant square offers a beautiful setting to relax, people-watch, and admire the impressive Metropolitan Cathedral and numerous historical buildings.
3. Biocentro Güembé – A scenic 13-minute drive from the airport, this ecological park is a haven for nature lovers. Enjoy lush gardens, cascading waterfalls, butterfly exhibits, and a relaxing swimming pool to cool off in the Bolivian heat.
4. Municipal Zoo – Located within the vast Parque Urbano, this well-maintained zoo features a diverse range of animals, including jaguars, monkeys, and colorful birds. Visitors can learn about Bolivia’s rich biodiversity and conservation efforts.
5. Ventura Mall – Just a short distance from the airport, Ventura Mall is a bustling shopping center with a wide range of shops, cafes, and restaurants. It offers a perfect opportunity to indulge in some retail therapy or enjoy a delicious meal.
6. Jesuit Missions of Chiquitos – Immerse yourself in Bolivia’s colonial past and visit the renowned Jesuit Missions of Chiquitos, a UNESCO World Heritage site. These well-preserved, architecturally stunning churches offer a glimpse into the country’s fascinating history.
7. Pirai River – For those seeking adventure, take a thrilling rafting or kayaking trip on the Pirai River, which flows through Santa Cruz. Enjoy breathtaking views, adrenaline-pumping rapids, and the chance to spot unique wildlife along the riverbanks.
8. Noel Kempff Mercado National Park – If you have more time, consider visiting this vast national park, renowned for its rich biodiversity. Explore its dense rainforests, cascading waterfalls, and spot elusive wildlife, including jaguars, giant otters, and macaws.
9. Witches’ Market – In the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra, visit the picturesque Witches’ Market to discover traditional remedies, herbal potions, and indigenous crafts. This vibrant market is a fascinating cultural experience to learn about local traditions.
10. Tarabuco Market – A day trip from the airport, Tarabuco Market offers a unique opportunity to witness indigenous Bolivian culture. This bustling market is famous for its vibrant textiles, handmade crafts, and traditional clothing reflecting the ancestral customs and traditions of the Yampara culture.
History of Viru Viru International Airport
Viru Viru International Airport is the largest and busiest airport in Bolivia, located in the city of Santa Cruz de la Sierra. The airport was built in 1977 by the Bolivian government with the help of the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). The airport was named after the indigenous leader Viru Viru, who fought against the Spanish colonial rule in the 18th century.
Initially, the airport was built to serve as a military base for the Bolivian Air Force, but it was later converted into a civilian airport to meet the growing demand for air travel in the region. In the 1980s, the airport underwent major renovations and expansions to accommodate larger aircraft and more passengers.
Today, Viru Viru International Airport serves as a major hub for domestic and international flights, connecting Bolivia to destinations in South America, North America, and Europe. The airport has modern facilities and amenities, including duty-free shops, restaurants, and lounges. It is also equipped with state-of-the-art security systems to ensure the safety of passengers and staff. Viru Viru International Airport is a vital transportation hub for Bolivia, contributing significantly to the country’s economy and tourism industry.
Other Airports in Santa Cruz Department, Bolivia