The Warasai Airstrip is a vital transportation hub located in Papua New Guinea. Serving as a gateway to the remote Eastern Highlands Province, this airstrip offers crucial access to the region, enabling both passengers and cargo to reach otherwise inaccessible areas.
Error 403 The request cannot be completed because you have exceeded your quota. : quotaExceeded
Quick Informations and Statistics
Table of Contents
- Quick Informations and Statistics
- How to Get to Warasai Airstrip
- Transportation Options
- Car Parking
- Car Rental at Warasai Airstrip
- Operating Airlines
- Security Protocols
- Traveler’s Assistance
- Shops and Restaurants
- Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
- WiFi and Workspace Facilities
- Accomodation Options Nearby Warasai Airstrip
- Attractions Nearby
- History of Warasai Airstrip
- Other Airports in Sandaun (West Sepik), Papua New Guinea
How to Get to Warasai Airstrip
To get to Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea, there are two general options: by air or by road.
If you prefer to travel by air, you can book a domestic flight from Port Moresby (the capital of Papua New Guinea) to Hoskins Airport in West New Britain Province. From Hoskins, there are regular small charter flights available that will take you directly to Warasai Airstrip. It is advisable to book the charter flight in advance and confirm the availability and schedule with the local airlines.
Alternatively, if you prefer to travel by road, you can start your journey from Kimbe, which is the main town in West New Britain Province. From Kimbe, you can hire a local driver or arrange for transportation to take you along the New Britain Highway towards Gasmata. After reaching Gasmata, you will need to continue on a gravel road for about 30 kilometers until you reach Warasai Airstrip. It is recommended to plan your road trip well in advance as road conditions can vary, and it may take around 4-5 hours to reach Warasai Airstrip by road, depending on traffic and weather conditions.
Warasai Airstrip is a small airstrip located in the Western Province of Papua New Guinea. As a remote and isolated area, the transportation options available to travelers are quite limited. However, here are some of the transportation options to consider when planning a trip to Warasai Airstrip:
1. Chartered Flights: The most common and reliable way to reach Warasai Airstrip is by arranging a chartered flight. Various charter companies operate flights to this remote destination, ensuring a convenient and efficient mode of transportation.
2. Helicopter Transfers: For those seeking a more scenic and adventurous journey, helicopter transfers are also available. These transfers provide an opportunity to enjoy breathtaking aerial views of the surrounding landscape while reaching your destination.
3. Boat Services: As Warasai Airstrip is located near the Fly River, boat services are another transportation option. Travelers can hire boats to navigate the river and reach their desired destination. However, please note that this option may not always be available, as it highly depends on local conditions and availability.
4. Road Transport: Although limited, road transport is available in some areas near Warasai Airstrip. Local buses or minibuses can be used to travel short distances on land. However, it is important to note that road infrastructures in this remote area may be basic and not always maintained to high standards.
5. Trekking: For the adventurous souls, trekking can be an option to consider. The rugged and diverse natural landscape surrounding Warasai Airstrip offers opportunities for hiking and exploring the region on foot. However, it is essential to be well-prepared and knowledgeable about the terrain before embarking on a trek.
When planning a trip to Warasai Airstrip, keep in mind that the transportation options are limited due to its remoteness. It is recommended to make arrangements in advance and consult with local travel agencies or tour operators for the most up-to-date and reliable transportation options.
Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides convenient car parking facilities for its visitors. Situated in the Morobe Province, specifically in the Warasai area, this airstrip offers a designated parking area for vehicles of all sizes.
The car parking area at Warasai Airstrip is strategically located adjacent to the terminal building, allowing easy access for passengers. Whether you are heading to the airstrip to catch a flight or arriving to pick up someone, finding a safe and secure spot to park your vehicle wouldn’t be an issue.
The availability of car parking at Warasai Airstrip ensures that travelers can enjoy a hassle-free experience. With ample space for parking cars, vans, and even small buses, visitors can rest assured knowing that their vehicles are stored securely while they are away.
Located in the picturesque Morobe Province in Papua New Guinea, Warasai Airstrip is easily accessible by road. The car parking area is within close proximity to the main road leading to the airstrip, allowing for convenient and efficient parking.
In addition to its prime location and security, the car parking area at Warasai Airstrip offers reasonable rates, making it a cost-effective choice for travelers. Whether you need short-term parking for a day or long-term parking for several days, the airstrip caters to your needs and budget.
Overall, Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea provides a well-maintained and easily accessible car parking area for visitors. Offering secure parking facilities located just steps away from the terminal building, it ensures a convenient and stress-free experience for anyone traveling to or from the Morobe Province.
Car Rental at Warasai Airstrip
Warasai Airstrip is a small but crucial airport located in Papua New Guinea. Serving the remote region of Warasai, this airstrip acts as a lifeline for the local community, providing essential air transportation services. The airport has a single terminal building that caters to both domestic and international flights, offering convenience and accessibility to passengers.
The terminal at Warasai Airstrip has been designed to accommodate the needs of travelers. Despite its compact size, it boasts modern facilities and amenities to ensure a comfortable experience for passengers. Inside, you will find a check-in counter, security screening area, and a small waiting lounge. The seating area is equipped with comfortable chairs, providing a cozy atmosphere for travelers to relax before their flights.
The terminal also features essential amenities such as restrooms, a small café or kiosk offering snacks, and a souvenir shop where visitors can browse locally made crafts and souvenirs. Efficient and friendly staff are readily available to assist passengers with any queries or concerns they may have. While the terminal may be modest, the warm and welcoming atmosphere offered by the staff reflects the local culture and hospitality of Papua New Guinea.
In conclusion, Warasai Airstrip’s terminal has been designed with passenger comfort and convenience in mind. Despite its small size, it is equipped with modern facilities, providing essential services to those traveling to and from Warasai. With its friendly staff and cozy atmosphere, the terminal ensures a pleasant experience for all passengers passing through this vital airport in Papua New Guinea.
There is limited information available on the operating airlines at Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea. However, some airlines that have been known to operate at this airstrip include:
1. Air Niugini
2. PNG Air
3. Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF)
Please note that airline operations can change, and it is always recommended to check with local authorities or travel agencies for the most up-to-date information on operating airlines at a specific airstrip.
Warasai Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, prioritizes security protocols to ensure the safety and smooth operations of the airport. The main objective is to create a secure environment for travelers, staff, and aircraft alike. The airstrip implements extensive security measures to mitigate risks and maintain a robust security framework.
To begin with, Warasai Airstrip maintains a strict access control system. Only authorized individuals, including staff members, passengers, and approved visitors, are allowed entry into restricted areas. This helps minimize the risk of unauthorized personnel endangering the airport’s security. Additionally, the airstrip has implemented a comprehensive screening process, including baggage checks and passenger verification, to detect any potentially prohibited items or threats.
Furthermore, Warasai Airstrip has established a dedicated security force that operates round-the-clock. Trained security personnel closely monitor various areas of the airport, such as the terminals, runways, and parking lots, to detect and respond swiftly to any suspicious activities. They also collaborate with local law enforcement agencies to uphold law and order within the airport premises.
In addition to these physical security measures, the airstrip utilizes advanced surveillance systems such as CCTV cameras strategically positioned throughout the airport. These cameras provide continuous monitoring and recording of activities, helping identify any irregularities or security breaches. Regular security drills and exercises are conducted to ensure preparedness and the efficient execution of emergency response protocols.
Overall, Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea prioritizes security to create a safe environment for all airport users. By implementing stringent access control, conducting thorough screenings, maintaining a dedicated security force, and utilizing advanced surveillance technologies, the airstrip actively works towards minimizing security risks and fortifying its security protocols.
Warasai Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, is a vital transportation hub for travelers visiting the region. Situated in the Western Province of the country, it serves as a gateway to the stunning natural beauty and cultural heritage of this remote part of the world. Travelers who arrive at Warasai Airstrip can easily access nearby attractions such as the pristine beaches, lush rainforests, and traditional villages that make Papua New Guinea a unique destination.
For travelers in need of assistance, Warasai Airstrip offers a range of services to ensure a smooth and enjoyable visit. Airport staff are readily available to provide information, help with luggage, and assist with any queries or concerns. Travelers can rely on their expertise to navigate the local customs and logistics, making their stay in Papua New Guinea a hassle-free experience.
In addition, Warasai Airstrip provides access to transportation options, including taxis and rental cars, enabling travelers to explore the surrounding areas independently. An array of accommodation options, ranging from quaint guesthouses to luxury resorts, are easily accessible from the airstrip, ensuring that visitors can find a suitable place to stay according to their preferences and budget.
Overall, Warasai Airstrip serves as an essential travel assistance hub for those venturing into the captivating wonders of Papua New Guinea. With its range of services, knowledgeable staff, and convenient transportation options, travelers can feel confident that their journey to this enchanting destination will be both memorable and enjoyable.
Shops and Restaurants
Warasai Airstrip, located in Papua New Guinea, offers a range of shops and restaurants that cater to the needs of travelers passing through. Whether you have a layover or are simply looking for a quick bite to eat or some last-minute shopping, Warasai Airstrip has you covered.
When it comes to dining options, the airstrip features several restaurants that offer a variety of cuisines to satisfy different tastes. From local delicacies to international dishes, you can find a diverse range of options to suit your preferences. These restaurants are known for their warm hospitality and provide a comfortable and welcoming environment for travelers to relax and enjoy a meal.
If you are in need of some retail therapy, the shops at Warasai Airstrip offer a selection of products to meet your needs. You can find a range of items, including souvenirs, clothing, accessories, and travel essentials. These shops ensure that travelers have access to necessary items and also provide an opportunity to take home a memento of your time in Papua New Guinea.
The staff at Warasai Airstrip’s shops and restaurants are friendly and knowledgeable, always ready to assist travelers with any queries or requests they may have. The emphasis on customer service ensures that your experience at the airstrip is pleasant and hassle-free.
Whether you are a local or an international traveler, Warasai Airstrip’s shops and restaurants offer a convenient and enjoyable experience. So, whether you’re looking for a quick meal or some retail therapy during your time at the airstrip, you can rely on the variety of options available to meet your needs.
Prayer Rooms and Worship Areas
Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers prayer rooms and worship areas for visitors and passengers who seek a peaceful and spiritual environment. These facilities are strategically located within the vicinity of the airstrip to cater to the diverse religious needs of individuals.
1. Christian Prayer Room:
Located near the main terminal building, the Christian prayer room at Warasai Airstrip provides a serene space for Christian passengers and visitors to engage in prayer and reflection. This dedicated area is equipped with comfortable seating, religious literature, and a tranquil ambiance to facilitate a meaningful spiritual experience.
2. Muslim Prayer Room:
Warasai Airstrip also recognizes the importance of providing a dedicated prayer space for Muslim passengers and visitors. The Muslim prayer room is situated adjacent to the main terminal, creating a convenient and accessible area for individuals to observe their daily prayers. This facility is thoughtfully designed to accommodate the specific requirements of Muslim worshippers.
3. Multi-Faith Worship Area:
To foster inclusivity and cater to the diverse religious beliefs of travelers, Warasai Airstrip offers a multi-faith worship area. This shared space is designed to accommodate various religious practices, allowing individuals of different faiths to engage in prayer, meditation, or worship according to their own traditions. The multi-faith worship area promotes unity, understanding, and respect among passengers and visitors.
It is important to note that these prayer rooms and worship areas at Warasai Airstrip are open to all individuals, regardless of their religious affiliation. They serve as peaceful sanctuaries within the bustling airport environment, offering a moment of solace and spiritual connection. Whether one seeks a private space for personal reflection or a communal area for collective worship, these facilities cater to the diverse spiritual needs of those passing through Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea.
WiFi and Workspace Facilities
Warasai Airstrip in Papua New Guinea offers limited WiFi and workspace facilities for travelers. While it may not boast extensive connectivity options, visitors can still stay connected and get some work done during their time at the airstrip.
The WiFi at Warasai Airstrip is available, but it is important to note that the connection may not be as fast or reliable as what one might find in more urban areas. However, it does provide a convenient option for travelers who need to access emails, browse the internet, or stay connected with family and friends back home.
In terms of workspace facilities, Warasai Airstrip offers a basic setup for those who need a quiet space to focus or get some work done. While it may not have the amenities of a traditional office environment, there are designated areas with tables and chairs where travelers can comfortably set up their laptops or work materials.
It is advisable for individuals who require a more productive work environment or have specific workspace needs to make necessary arrangements in advance, as the available facilities at Warasai Airstrip are limited. This will ensure that you have a suitable space to work and can make the most of your time at the airstrip.
Overall, Warasai Airstrip provides travelers with the opportunity to stay connected and work remotely, albeit with some limitations. It is important to manage expectations and be prepared for potential connectivity issues, especially in a remote location like Papua New Guinea. Nonetheless, the available WiFi and workspace facilities at Warasai Airstrip offer a convenient solution for individuals who need to stay productive during their time at the airstrip.
Accomodation Options Nearby Warasai Airstrip
Warasai Airstrip, located in the beautiful country of Papua New Guinea, offers a range of accommodation options to suit various budgets and preferences. Whether you are a budget traveler or seeking a luxurious stay, here are some options to consider:
1. Guesthouses and Lodges:
– Warasai Guesthouse: Offering affordable rates, this guesthouse provides basic amenities including comfortable rooms, clean bathrooms, and a communal kitchen.
– Riverside Lodge: Another budget-friendly option, Riverside Lodge offers cozy rooms with shared facilities and a peaceful environment close to the airstrip.
2. Camping and Backpacking:
– Warasai Campground: If you’re an outdoor enthusiast, you can set up your own tent at the designated camping area near the airstrip. Enjoy the natural surroundings and experience a close connection with nature.
3. Mid-range Hotels and Resorts:
– Warasai Resort: This mid-range option offers comfortable rooms equipped with modern amenities such as private bathrooms, air conditioning, and a restaurant serving local and international cuisines.
– Tropic Paradise Resort: Located just a short distance away, this resort blends comfort with affordability. Enjoy spacious rooms, on-site eateries, and recreational facilities.
4. Eco-Lodges and Retreats:
– Kukundu Eco-Lodge: An environmentally friendly option, this eco-lodge promotes sustainable tourism. Experience the beauty of its natural surroundings, well-appointed rooms, and delicious local cuisine prepared with organic ingredients.
– Songbird Lodge: Nestled amidst lush greenery, Songbird Lodge offers a tranquil escape from the bustling city life. Guests can enjoy well-designed eco-friendly cabins, nature walks, and authentic cultural experiences.
5. Luxury Resorts:
– Warasai Bay Resort: For those seeking a lavish experience, this resort offers luxurious private cabins or villas with stunning sea views, private pools, and top-notch amenities. Indulge in fine dining, spa treatments, and personalized services.
– Solange Escapes: Set in a tropical paradise, Solange Escapes provides a secluded and exclusive retreat. Lavishly appointed villas, beachfront access, gourmet dining, and a range of recreational activities make this a truly luxurious experience.
Please note that the availability and offerings of accommodations may vary over time, so it’s always advisable to check with the individual providers for the most up-to-date information.
1. Mt. Wilhelm: Located within the beautiful Bismarck Range, Mt. Wilhelm is the highest peak in Papua New Guinea, offering an adventurous trek for hikers and mountaineers.
2. Sepik River: Discover the enchanting Sepik River, renowned for its vibrant tribal culture and pristine natural beauty. Take a boat tour to witness traditional village life and experience some of the most unique and diverse cultures in the world.
3. Kokoda Track: Follow in the footsteps of World War II soldiers along the iconic Kokoda Track. This challenging trek is a pilgrimage for many, offering a profound historical experience amidst breathtaking jungle scenery.
4. Madang: Located on the northern coast, Madang is known for its stunning coral reefs, crystal-clear waters, and exotic marine life. Snorkeling, diving, and exploring the underwater world here is truly extraordinary.
5. Tufi: A hidden gem of Papua New Guinea, Tufi is a beautiful coastal region renowned for its spectacular fjords and vibrant coral reefs. Enjoy diving, fishing, cultural village visits, and stunning panoramic views.
6. Rabaul: Discover the remnants of a once-thriving colonial town nestled within a volcanic caldera. Rabaul offers history enthusiasts a chance to explore World War II relics and witness stunning views of volcanic landscapes.
7. National Parliament House in Port Moresby: Dive into the political history of Papua New Guinea by exploring the iconic National Parliament House. Immerse yourself in the rich cultural displays and gain a deeper understanding of the nation’s governance.
8. National Museum and Art Gallery in Port Moresby: Delve into Papua New Guinea’s diverse cultural heritage at the National Museum and Art Gallery. Discover traditional artifacts, archaeological wonders, and an impressive collection of contemporary artwork.
9. Loloata Island: Experience a serene island getaway just off the coast of Port Moresby. Loloata Island offers pristine white sandy beaches, crystal-clear waters perfect for snorkeling, and fantastic coral reefs.
10. Varirata National Park: Escape into nature at Varirata National Park, located just outside Port Moresby. Explore lush rainforest trails, spot colorful bird species, and enjoy panoramic views of the Owen Stanley Ranges and Astrolabe Bay.
Note: The attractions mentioned are nearby the Warasai Airstrip, considering that there might be traveling distances involved. Some attractions listed may require additional transport or travel arrangements.
History of Warasai Airstrip
Warasai Airstrip, located in the rugged and mountainous region of Papua New Guinea, has a rich history that reflects the area’s significance during World War II. Constructed during the war, the airstrip played a vital role for the Allies as they sought to counter the Japanese forces that had advanced into the region. Being one of the few operational airstrips in the area, Warasai became a critical strategic asset for supplying troops and conducting air operations in the region.
In 1942, the United States Army Air Forces built Warasai Airstrip as part of their effort to establish air superiority over the Japanese. Situated on the island of New Britain, this airstrip saw intense action and witnessed several clashes between American and Japanese forces. It became a crucial base for the American troops, allowing them to conduct bombing raids, provide air support to ground operations, and transport supplies to isolated Allied forces.
During the later stages of the war, Warasai Airstrip also served as a crucial evacuation point for wounded soldiers, providing medical care and transportation to safer areas. Its significance faded after the end of World War II, as the military presence in the region reduced. Today, the airstrip serves as a reminder of the sacrifices made by those who fought in this remote area and stands as a testament to the importance of air power in the war effort.
Other Airports in Sandaun (West Sepik), Papua New Guinea
- Aitape Airport
- Akwom Airstrip
- Amanab Airport
- Anguganak Airport
- Arkosame Airstrip
- Bak Airstrip
- Bewani Airport
- Blackwara Airport
- Buluwo Airstrip
- Busilmin Airstrip
- Duranmin Airstrip
- Edwaki Airport
- Eliptamin Airport
- Fas Airstrip
- Feramin Airport
- Fiyak Airstrip
- Gawa Airstrip
- Green River Airport
- Gubil Airstrip
- Guriaso Airport
- Ibil Airstrip
- Idam Airstrip
- Imonda Airport
- Kabori Airstrip
- Kafle Airstrip
- Kamberatoro Airport
- Kilifas Airstrip
- Kwieftim Airstrip
- Kwomtari Airstrip
- Leitre Airport
- Lumi Airport
- Miyanmin Airport
- Moi Airstrip
- Munbil Airport
- Nuku Airport
- Okisai Airstrip
- Oksapmin Airport
- Ossima Airport
- Serra Airstrip
- Siawi Airstrip
- Sibilanga Airstrip
- Sinow Airstrip
- Sisamin Airstrip
- Sissano Airport
- Smok Airstrip
- Tadji Airport
- Tekin Airport
- Telefomin Airport
- Tifalmin Airport
- Tumolbil Airport
- Utai Airstrip
- Vanimo Airport
- Warasai Airstrip
- Wobagen Airstrip
- Yanungen Airstrip
- Yapsiei Airport
- Yebil Airstrip
- Yemin Airstrip
- Yili Airstrip
- Yilui Airstrip